MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2018

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Read the Ichiro article at work, the man is truly one of a kind. Would honestly like to see him play a year in Japan to end his career, but I don’t know if he can stretch it out 5-6 more years like he wants to.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It's time for my inevitably wrong MLB picks, although these might be the safest picks I've ever made.

American League

East

New York
Boston
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Baltimore

Central

Cleveland
Minnesota
Chicago
Kansas City
Detroit

West

Houston
Los Angeles (Anaheim)
Seattle
Oakland
Texas

Wild Cards
Boston (winner)
Minnesota

ALDS

Houston vs Boston
New York vs Cleveland

ALCS

Houston vs New York

National League

East

Washington
Philadelphia
New York
Atlanta
Miami

Central

Chicago
Milwaukee
St. Louis
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh

West

Los Angeles
Arizona
Colorado
San Diego
San Francisco

Wild Cards

Arizona (winner)
Milwaukee

NLDS

Chicago vs Arizona
Los Angeles vs Washington

NLCS

Chicago vs Washington

World Series

Chicago vs New York

World Series Champion

Chicago

Things that wouldn't surprise me but I wouldn't go so far as to predict:

- Philadelphia has a great first half and makes some deals at the deadline to challenge for, and maybe win, a Wild Card berth
- Arizona edges out Los Angeles in the West
- St. Louis makes some deals and edges out Milwaukee for 2nd in the Central and a possible Wild Card Berth
- The Angels edge out Minnesota for a Wild Card Berth
- Minnesota takes the AL Central over an injured Cleveland squad
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sterling Bigmouth

Think I agree on 99% of those, but I’ve got the Indians over the Cubs in the WS this season.

On the other hand, I’m hoping the Braves can play .500 baseball over the course of the season.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Think I agree on 99% of those, but I’ve got the Indians over the Cubs in the WS this season.

On the other hand, I’m hoping the Braves can play .500 baseball over the course of the season.
I like the Braves and think that both they and Philly are on the verge of becoming quite good. I just think Alex Anthopoulos needed a year to assess his young talent before diving in to some trades and FA signings. Foltynewicz had a good spring and really needs to come into his own this season. Sean Newcombe had an even better spring and has long been a favorite of mine among prospects. He looks like a young Jon Lester, if he pitches like one that team could be close to a .500 team. Of course on top of all that is Ronald Acuña who is going to be very special. The rookie of the year race between he and the Phillies Scott Kingery should be a lot of fun.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Watch out for the Phillies, they have an outside chance to be sneaky good this year.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

This is going to be a long season. I'm ready for football.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:Watch out for the Phillies, they have an outside chance to be sneaky good this year.
Agreed. Arrieta and Nola are a nice TOR combo and If guys like Velasquez and Pivetta can pitch well enough to have them in the race in July they will go get help too. The lineup is more than solid and it’s will be fun watching guys like Hoskins and Kingery develop. Plus I love Gabe Kapler and think he’s going to be one hell of a manager. I really like your squad, Clams. They will be a blast to watch.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Clams wrote:Watch out for the Phillies, they have an outside chance to be sneaky good this year.
Agreed. Arrieta and Nola are a nice TOR combo and If guys like Velasquez and Pivetta can pitch well enough to have them in the race in July they will go get help too. The lineup is more than solid and it’s will be fun watching guys like Hoskins and Kingery develop. Plus I love Gabe Kapler and think he’s going to be one hell of a manager. I really like your squad, Clams. They will be a blast to watch.
And we've got a shit-ton of cash to spend in the next couple of years, and an owner who wants to win.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Opening Day! Play Ball!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Rickey needs Rickey’s houses to be clean!

and don't you dare get Rickey talkin' about tenure :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Rickey needs Rickey’s houses to be clean!

That's legitimately the best thing I've seen today, probably all week. "Rickey needs Rickey's houses to be clean". Fucking priceless.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Rickey needs Rickey’s houses to be clean!

That's legitimately the best thing I've seen today, probably all week. "Rickey needs Rickey's houses to be clean". Fucking priceless.
being a Giants fan, I expect that all I'll be able to offer to the conversation this year is absurdity and the occasional guffaw :lol: :lol: :lol:

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Los Gigantes beat Kershaw. Life is good tonight.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Help! I'm totally not ready for the season to start. My head's just not in the game yet, so to speak. I hate when that happens. Not only do i blame clams, I also blame march games that count, what the heck is up w/ that?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

dont worry, i havent found the usual level of excitement yet either. not sure if its all the disappointing seasons adding up, the fragile labor environment, the early start, the lack of a real challenger in the division, the fact that i paid zero attention to spring training, or what. it'll come

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:dont worry, i havent found the usual level of excitement yet either. not sure if its all the disappointing seasons adding up, the fragile labor environment, the early start, the lack of a real challenger in the division, the fact that i paid zero attention to spring training, or what. it'll come
Wise words, grasshopper.

Meanwhile, panic is already gripping the Hub and Alex Cora is already on the hot seat. I didn't see the game, but blowing a 4 run lead in the 8th while Craig Kimbrel doesn't even warm up is mighty suspect decision making. Chris Sale fantasy owners are probably quite pissed too

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The Giants are 2-0! Not just won-loss, runs scored-allowed.
As long as they throw shut outs and Panik homers, this should be a good year.

Sterling Bigmouth

Gotta love baseball. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, the Braves lose a game after Peter Bourjos slides into home to score the go-ahead run, only to be called out when review shows he didn’t have his leg down on the plate when he slid. Ouch.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Gotta love baseball. Just when you think you’ve seen it all, the Braves lose a game after Peter Bourjos slides into home to score the go-ahead run, only to be called out when review shows he didn’t have his leg down on the plate when he slid. Ouch.
Back to the days when i played the game, I've always thought it unfair that the runner actually had to touch the plate exactly because of how hard it is to do that when sliding (at least when sliding feet first). Before I knew the words I thought there should be some kind of "breaking the plane" rule.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

https://deadspin.com/twins-mad-that-the ... 1824254074

twins put on a shift to close out a game they dominated, oriole bunts against it for a hit. twins mad at the disrespect

sometimes baseball players are the absolute worst thing about baseball

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Shakespeare wrote:https://deadspin.com/twins-mad-that-the ... 1824254074

twins put on a shift to close out a game they dominated, oriole bunts against it for a hit. twins mad at the disrespect

sometimes baseball players are the absolute worst thing about baseball
Yeah, this was stupid. The no hitter was over, whatever "unwritten rule" there is did not apply.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

its dumb even if the no hitter were going, imo

no hitter doesnt mean anything if you tweak the rules to protect it

ok im fully back on board with baseball, tedium and all :D

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Plus I love Gabe Kapler and think he’s going to be one hell of a manager
i thought about this a lot this weekend

kapler will rightfully wear it but how did no coach intervene when the infamous bullpen call happened?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Plus I love Gabe Kapler and think he’s going to be one hell of a manager

kapler will rightfully wear it but how did no coach intervene when the infamous bullpen call happened?
Small sample size, but he has been inept so far. I hate this notion that simply playing the game makes one qualified to manage (while nonprofessional experience means you have 0% chance to coach).

Ditto that with color broadcasters
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

Small sample size, but he has been inept so far. I hate this notion that simply playing the game makes one qualified to manage (while nonprofessional experience means you have 0% chance to coach).

Kapler’s debut has been troubled, to be kind, but he did have a year of minor league managing experience as was the Dodgers director of player development. The pitcher thing was weird but the rest have just been quirks so far and by all accounts the players say they like what he’s brought to the team. This is a brilliant guy, my gut tells me ge’ll Be fine.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Shakespeare wrote: i thought about this a lot this weekend

Kapler’s debut has been troubled, to be kind, but he did have a year of minor league managing experience as was the Dodgers director of player development. The pitcher thing was weird but the rest have just been quirks so far and by all accounts the players say they like what he’s brought to the team. This is a brilliant guy, my gut tells me ge’ll Be fine.
Haven't followed all the ins and outs of Kapler's rough start, but I expect he'll do fine: He does have minor league managing experience and both as manager and in other typical post playing career posts, the Red Sox loved him. And whatever you want to say about the Sox, they are excellent about evaluating and bringing along non-playing talent. From what I saw when he was here both on and off the field I gotta believe he will succeed. But remember that for so many managers/coaches in all sports it's the SECOND job where they finally shine, so that could happen w/ Kapler too. But he really seemed ready and I'll bet he rights this ship.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Yes a very rough start for Kapler. You can read all about it here: https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/04/s ... ekend.html

I'm sure management will be patient with him. Time will tell.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Yes a very rough start for Kapler. You can read all about it here: https://www.crossingbroad.com/2018/04/s ... ekend.html

I'm sure management will be patient with him. Time will tell.
"Suboptimal" indeed. Yikes! As someone above said, where were the bullpen and pitching coaches when Kapler wanted to bring in a reliever who hadn't warmed up? Seems like more than enough failure to go around.