I've yet to see DBT as an opener or "special guests" act

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

OldCloverdale

I've yet to see DBT as an opener or "special guests" act

Post by OldCloverdale »

pearlbeer

Re: I've yet to see DBT as an opener or "special guests" act

Post by pearlbeer »

Wow! That is awesome news. I think Tedeschi Trucks was the best show I saw in 2017. Derek Trucks is simply one of the best living guitar players, and the band is tight. I'm going to have to figure out how to make one of these shows. Red Rocks would be killer.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Marcus King Band is excellent too and I’ve yet to see them live so this will be a treat. I wish we could do Red Rocks but doubt it’s in the cards. Tuscaloosa looks like the best bet
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I'll be in Charlotte
Always go to the show

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Marcus King Band is excellent too and I’ve yet to see them live so this will be a treat. I wish we could do Red Rocks but doubt it’s in the cards. Tuscaloosa looks like the best bet
I have seen King, and he and his band are excellent musicians. Get there early to see him.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Saratoga and CMAC are really special venues. I highly recommend booking hotel rooms sooner as opposed to later.
Dave

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

In for RED ROCKS and Sterling Heights, MI. TTB is one of my favorites so having DBT and Marcus King along for Wheels of Soul this summer is quite a treat.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I had to laugh. The press release touted the Southern nature of all 3 bands and then the tour is in predominantly Northern cities. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

We'll be in Charleston for vacation, but we're leaving June 30th and the show is July 1st. This is the 3rd time I've missed DBT on vacation by a day or two, had the same thing happen twice when we were in the Myrtle Beach area and they were playing the HOB there. I might try to make the Cincy show instead.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Have missed this tour every year TTB has done it.
Gonna try and hit Red Rocks if possible. Maybe Raleigh. Hoping they add a VA date.

Don't get the hype with Marcus King.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm excited for the Tuscaloosa date, although I would greatly prefer a headlining show...

I'm sure they'll be some interesting guest spots for the closing number. I think Patterson came out and sang "Free Fallin" with govt mule or Warren Haynes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

We'll probably go to the Raleigh date but I'm very lukewarm on TTB. Not sure I want to lay out the cash for DBT in an opening slot when the headliner isn't a band I'm really interested in. We'll see.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:We'll probably go to the Raleigh date but I'm very lukewarm on TTB. Not sure I want to lay out the cash for DBT in an opening slot when the headliner isn't a band I'm really interested in. We'll see.
Have you seen TTB live? I think they'll win you over. Beth went with me last year without ever hearing a note, or wanting to knowing their "jammy" reputation, and walked away loving them. Derek Trucks is one of the best guitarists on the planet and Susan Tedeschi is both a great guitar player and singer. We're seeing them in February here in Jackson and again on this tour in Tuscaloosa (or maybe Charlotte not sure yet). They're a soul band pure and simple.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:We'll probably go to the Raleigh date but I'm very lukewarm on TTB. Not sure I want to lay out the cash for DBT in an opening slot when the headliner isn't a band I'm really interested in. We'll see.
Have you seen TTB live? I think they'll win you over. Beth went with me last year without ever hearing a note, or wanting to knowing their "jammy" reputation, and walked away loving them. Derek Trucks is one of the best guitarists on the planet and Susan Tedeschi is both a great guitar player and singer. We're seeing them in February here in Jackson and again on this tour in Tuscaloosa (or maybe Charlotte not sure yet). They're a soul band pure and simple.
They played at a festival I went to a couple years back (Mountain Jam). I was also lukewarm to the idea of them, but they killed it. They were one of the real highlights for me of a day that saw some really great music.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

While I think I prefer the Derek Trucks Band, TTB is pretty damn hot, love the Delaney & Bonnie/Mad Dogs and Englishmen vibe they conjure up

Looks like Marcus King is involved in As the Crow Flies (his name is listed 2nd, only below Chris Robinson, and above two actual Black Crowes members-Adam McDougal and Audley Freed)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I went to see Hard Working Americans open for TTB this fall. Honestly, I went to see HWA, stayed for TTB. Tedeschi Trucks Band was the best show I saw in 2017. Musicianship is just off the charts all around, which is saying something for a 12+ piece band. As the Cowboy says, Derek Trucks is one of the best living guitarists. He played a stock SG, plugged straight into the amp. Not one pedal. It was the finest guitar performance I've ever witnessed.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^ This is a strong statement.

Oddly enough I like it best when Trucks puts the slide down. He's a virtuoso - no doubt.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: Have you seen TTB live? I think they'll win you over. Beth went with me last year without ever hearing a note, or wanting to knowing their "jammy" reputation, and walked away loving them. Derek Trucks is one of the best guitarists on the planet and Susan Tedeschi is both a great guitar player and singer. We're seeing them in February here in Jackson and again on this tour in Tuscaloosa (or maybe Charlotte not sure yet). They're a soul band pure and simple.
Only video and live recordings. I think they're OK. I agree that Derek Trucks is amazing and have enjoyed his work in other bands. But for some reason TTB just doesn't do it for me.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Actually with all these replies I read after Dean's I might give TTB a shot after all.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:I went to see Hard Working Americans open for TTB this fall. Honestly, I went to see HWA, stayed for TTB. Tedeschi Trucks Band was the best show I saw in 2017. Musicianship is just off the charts all around, which is saying something for a 12+ piece band. As the Cowboy says, Derek Trucks is one of the best living guitarists. He played a stock SG, plugged straight into the amp. Not one pedal. It was the finest guitar performance I've ever witnessed.
Beth looked at me that first time she saw them and said "I think he might be a wizard". A wizard indeed.

Zip Up to Michigan

WarHenRecords wrote:Have missed this tour every year TTB has done it.
Gonna try and hit Red Rocks if possible. Maybe Raleigh. Hoping they add a VA date.

You've got to see this kid play live. That's what did it for me. His records are ok but keep in mind, he's 21 years old. I foresee lots of great stuff coming from him.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Another endorsement of TTB. Though I would say they straddle the soul/blues line rather than being a purely soul band. That's in no way a criticism. While I'm not sure about the MA show the open questions have nothing to do w/ the talent on offer or the likely quality of the show.

Do we think DBT will get at least an hour?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

beantownbubba wrote:Another endorsement of TTB. Though I would say they straddle the soul/blues line rather than being a purely soul band. That's in no way a criticism. While I'm not sure about the MA show the open questions have nothing to do w/ the talent on offer or the likely quality of the show.

Do we think DBT will get at least an hour?
Absolutely. I've seen every Wheels of Soul tour. The first band usually gets 45, the second and 60, and TTB is around 120 (with guest spots from the first two acts)

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:

You've got to see this kid play live. That's what did it for me. His records are ok but keep in mind, he's 21 years old. I foresee lots of great stuff coming from him.
King is better than Trucks at that age, IMHO. Dude can throw down in a tasteful way. His band is great too.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

This is a terrific lineup. I just really dislike the venues. They have yet to announce a NYC date but I am guessing it will be at Jones Beach. I rather see them do Forest Hills Stadium or an indoor venue.

Just saw TTB on Sunday for the 3rd time in a year in Boca Raton. They continue to impress. I can’t imagine anyone who is into the DBT not enjoying them.

I saw Marcus King a couple of times two years ago at the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam and thought he was really talented. Great guitar player with a good voice and good band. I have to think he has improved a lot since.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I'm torn.

Zero interest in TTD and SPAC does a really bad job a big shows.
Beebs is not a ragey man

bogart

Post by bogart »

I, too have little interest TTB...and why in the world would anyone want to see DBT as an opening act??? The first time we saw them, ever was in ATL, 2006 opening for Black Crows. We went specifically for DBT, not the Crowes. The minute I heard that guitar I said, "we can't see them as an opener ever again!" And fortunately, they played in Macon a few months later...Cooley's b'day. Have not looked back since...

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

I've seen him. It was a little too jerk-offy for me. Like all he did was shred and it was pretty boring.
This was a few years ago now, so maybe he's reined it in, but my initial reaction was like "uhh, people like this?"
He is everywhere now, so I guess he must be doing something right. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

I saw DBT open up for Dave Matthews Band at Walnut Creek Amphitheater in 2005. I actually like DMB (sue me) but would not have gone to the show if DBT wasn't opening. It was pretty surreal to see DBT playing in a big ole' amphitheater. It was probably only 20% full when DBT was on. Left the DMB set early after some spinning dancer chick poked me in the eye and aborted my contact lens.

Saw them open for WSP twice around the same time too. Once was at an amphitheater in Antioch, TN and was a similar experience to Walnut Creek. Happened to sit behind Jason's Dad and talked to them a little bit, which was cool. The other though was at an Arena, in Macon I think. That was really cool. Their music suits an arena setting, and you could tell Patterson was loving it. Later he sang Come Together with WSP which was rad.

Zip Up to Michigan

WarHenRecords wrote:

I've seen him. It was a little too jerk-offy for me. Like all he did was shred and it was pretty boring.
This was a few years ago now, so maybe he's reined it in, but my initial reaction was like "uhh, people like this?"
He is everywhere now, so I guess he must be doing something right. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
Fair enough. I think you're being a tad harsh but to each his own.

I do think he needs better talent surrounding him. It feels like he has created a band with a bunch of his friends, which is cool, but to take it to the next level he needs some musicians that are on his level and can help him keep it in check a bit.

Super excited to see TTB call him and Cooley/Hood up for some collaborations during their headlining set.