The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:All forms of education expenses are being assaulted in this bill. Except for the line-item exemptions for Bible-based diploma mills, of course
It is a historically unpopular bill (and for good reason). My guess is that they expect voters to forget by next year's elections, or, they simply don't care. Sadly, I expect the latter. We are pretty damn far down the path of officially changing our form of Government to a Corporatocracy/Plutocracy.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

It’s pitchfork time, motherfuckers!!! :x
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of little and not so little surprises still to be revealed in the tax bill but one thing I didn't know is that the bill allows for the deduction of private school tuition. At the same time, the bill provides that state and local taxes are no longer deductible. In addition to the really aggravating result of having to pay tax on taxed income, public education has just become notably harder to fund because public education is funded primarily through state and local taxes. It's hard to see this as anything but a declaration of war against the poor and middle class.
Betsy DeVos was in our town last week visiting one of the schools, if I wasn’t teaching myself that day I’d have driven over there to tell her that the current administration’s plans were going to cripple the very school she was walking around. Absolutely disgusting.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
Zip City wrote:All forms of education expenses are being assaulted in this bill. Except for the line-item exemptions for Bible-based diploma mills, of course
It is a historically unpopular bill (and for good reason). My guess is that they expect voters to forget by next year's elections, or, they simply don't care. Sadly, I expect the latter. We are pretty damn far down the path of officially changing our form of Government to a Corporatocracy/Plutocracy.
They don’t care. Republicans like Aunt Pittypat Graham flat out said that this tax scam was all about pleasing the corporate overlords. In their eyes, anyone who isn’t a corporate overlord is irrelevant

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
We've been that way for some time, they're just adding the exclamation point to the sentence.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

not really a Kimmel fan but this is excellent

whatwouldcooleydo?

yeah, it's definitely the left that has contempt and disgust for real Americans/the non-rich/working class :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... cf5432f6f6

“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing,” Grassley told the Register. “As opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies*.”

Translation: if you are not of the investor class, you are worthless

*=he forgot to include truck nutz

ps--but what about people like Bannon and Mnuchin who invested heavily in movies? :o

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:It’s pitchfork time, motherfuckers!!! :x

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:yeah, it's definitely the left that has contempt and disgust for real Americans/the non-rich/working class :roll: :roll: :roll:

“I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing,” Grassley told the Register. “As opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies*.”

ps--but what about people like Bannon and Mnuchin who invested heavily in movies? :o
That made my day. Grassley is getting roasted here, even by his base. He probably won't run again, and seems to be positioning his grandson to take his spot. Which will blow up in his face. People's hatred of nepotism crosses political affiliation here.

He used to be an example of a guy that I could respect, despite not agreein with. Fuck him, now. He's just completely doubled down on Trumpism.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:yeah, it's definitely the left that has contempt and disgust for real Americans/the non-rich/working class :roll: :roll: :roll:

That made my day. Grassley is getting roasted here, even by his base. He probably won't run again, and seems to be positioning his grandson to take his spot. Which will blow up in his face. People's hatred of nepotism crosses political affiliation here.

He used to be an example of a guy that I could respect, despite not agreein with. Fuck him, now. He's just completely doubled down on Trumpism.
For real. As I remember it, he was always considered to be an example of an old fashioned honorable pol w/ whom one could disagree but respect where he was coming from and still share drinks or a meal at the end of the day. But this? Totally over the top, disgusting and a perfect example of the infectious nature of Trumpism. Although to be fair, let's not forget that Mitt Romney, lately floated as an example of reasonable, rational Republicanism will forever be associated w/ "the 47%".
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

For real. As I remember it, he was always considered to be an example of an old fashioned honorable pol w/ whom one could disagree but respect where he was coming from and still share drinks or a meal at the end of the day. But this? Totally over the top, disgusting and a perfect example of the infectious nature of Trumpism. Although to be fair, let's not forget that Mitt Romney, lately floated as an example of reasonable, rational Republicanism will forever be associated w/ "the 47%".
Who was it that talked about "defining deviance down"?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Can someone provide a logical explanation for why Paul Manafort violated his parole by writing an Op-Ed with a Russian? Seriously, this makes no sense to me. The only logical explanations I can come up with are:

1) Paul Manafort is a fucking idiot.
- While I can render a long list of creative adjectives to describe Manafort and his ilk, 'stupid' would likely not be one of them. He and his legal team just can't be this dumb.

2) These assholes really do believe they are above the law.
- Maybe Manafort sees himself as bullet-proof and is expecting a pardon. Still...see #1. If you are in trouble with the FBI (!!! THE FBI !!!), you better watch it. I simply cannot imagine a level of arrogance that would allow you to continue to associate with Russians given the existing charges. It just does not make sense.

3) He is beyond desperate
- If you can't make a reasonable case for reason #1 or #2, then he must be seriously desperate. Seriously. Desperate.

I don't want to put on my tinfoil hat, but shit is getting real weird up in here.

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:I don't want to put on my tinfoil hat, but shit is getting real weird up in here.
I recommend some form of head protection if you plan to visit the future, which is here right about now:

Erik Prince and Oliver North are trying to sell Trump on a secret spy force
Blackwater founder Erik Prince, ex-CIA officer John R. Maguire, and Iran-Contra linchpin Oliver North have been shopping a proposal to President Trump's White House and CIA Director Mike Pompeo to create private global network of expendable spies that would report directly to Trump and Pompeo, and Pompeo wants Trump to approve the contract, The Intercept reports, citing "several current and former U.S. intelligence officials and others familiar with the proposals." The Intercept confirms and expands on BuzzFeed's report that intelligence contractor Amyntor Group, Maguire's employer, is a potential organizer of the new private spy network.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:Can someone provide a logical explanation for why Paul Manafort violated his parole by writing an Op-Ed with a Russian? Seriously, this makes no sense to me.
The way Rachel Maddow splained it: he wasn't writing under his own name, and the op-ed was quite supportive of him.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

given that Grassley was born before the Lewis & Clark Expedition, I think it would have been more appropriate for him to excoriate "those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on opium dens or trollops or the talkies"

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Flea wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:Can someone provide a logical explanation for why Paul Manafort violated his parole by writing an Op-Ed with a Russian? Seriously, this makes no sense to me.
The way Rachel Maddow splained it: he wasn't writing under his own name, and the op-ed was quite supportive of him.
I understand that. But, when you are wearing a FBI branded ankle bracelet, this seems like a really bold/dumb move.

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
Flea wrote:
I understand that. But, when you are wearing a FBI branded ankle bracelet, this seems like a really bold/dumb move.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I understand that. But, when you are wearing a FBI branded ankle bracelet, this seems like a really bold/dumb move.[/quote]

Image[/quote]

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

wonder if the smiling faces used to explain this will be underage girls:

https://thinkprogress.org/corporate-con ... f837209e2/

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:I don't want to put on my tinfoil hat, but shit is getting real weird up in here.
I recommend some form of head protection if you plan to visit the future, which is here right about now:

Erik Prince and Oliver North are trying to sell Trump on a secret spy force
Blackwater founder Erik Prince, ex-CIA officer John R. Maguire, and Iran-Contra linchpin Oliver North have been shopping a proposal to President Trump's White House and CIA Director Mike Pompeo to create private global network of expendable spies that would report directly to Trump and Pompeo, and Pompeo wants Trump to approve the contract, The Intercept reports, citing "several current and former U.S. intelligence officials and others familiar with the proposals." The Intercept confirms and expands on BuzzFeed's report that intelligence contractor Amyntor Group, Maguire's employer, is a potential organizer of the new private spy network.
do not get me started on Oliver North :x :x :x

scotto

Post by scotto »

pearlbeer wrote:I understand that. But, when you are wearing a FBI branded ankle bracelet, this seems like a really bold/dumb move.
Stipulations of supervision (bail, probation, etc.) usually disallow "association" with anyone related to or even potentially linked to your crime without permission, regardless of whether it's email or in person. If you're a convicted felon it's usually as simple as no associating with other felons. Since this is an ongoing investigation I'm guessing the limits were probably pretty broad.
Just my .02.

John A Arkansawyer

It's come to this:

Al Franken, many argue, should now resign. He should resign immediately because there are credible accusers (another emerged Wednesday), and because the behavior alleged is sufficiently abhorrent that there is simply no basis to defend him. In this parade of unilateral disarmament, Trump stays, Conyers goes, Moore stays, Franken goes.

Is this the principled solution? By every metric I can think of, it’s correct. But it’s also wrong. It’s wrong because we no longer inhabit a closed ethical system, in which morality and norm preservation are their own rewards. We live in a broken and corroded system in which unilateral disarmament is going to destroy the very things we want to preserve.

I'd come to a similar conclusion about a year and a half ago, over other issues.

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:It's come to this:

Al Franken, many argue, should now resign. He should resign immediately because there are credible accusers (another emerged Wednesday), and because the behavior alleged is sufficiently abhorrent that there is simply no basis to defend him. In this parade of unilateral disarmament, Trump stays, Conyers goes, Moore stays, Franken goes.

Is this the principled solution? By every metric I can think of, it’s correct. But it’s also wrong. It’s wrong because we no longer inhabit a closed ethical system, in which morality and norm preservation are their own rewards. We live in a broken and corroded system in which unilateral disarmament is going to destroy the very things we want to preserve.

I'd come to a similar conclusion about a year and a half ago, over other issues.
take a deep breath, feel like yer chokin', everything is broken

John A Arkansawyer

Things that you held high and told yourself were true, lost or changing as the days come down to you.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Things that you held high and told yourself were true, lost or changing as the days come down to you.
I am harboring a theory that once the Dotard makes a public comment about the need for these men to resign, they do so immediately. Then we address the big orange elephant in the room.

scotto

Post by scotto »

I agree, Hate to lose Franken, but victims is victims. We can't really condemn their bad guys if we don't condemn our own.

John A Arkansawyer

scotto wrote:I agree, Hate to lose Franken, but victims is victims. We can't really condemn their bad guys if we don't condemn our own.
Here's an excellent science fiction story which bears somewhat on this question: The Night of the Salamander.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Where's the quote from?

I like the phrase "closed ethical system" and "unilateral disarmament is well suited to these circumstances as well. I think I've already posted my views on this but if not, I agree 100% with the quote.
scotto wrote:Hate to lose Franken, but victims is victims. We can't really condemn their bad guys if we don't condemn our own.
Condemn is one thing; force or pressure him to resign is another. There's plenty of time for him to resign if, say, Moore w/draws. In the current environment, where one can have no rational belief that there will be reciprocity, it would just be stupid for Franken to resign. The quote above says it quite well so I'll stop being redundant now.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:

Where's the quote from?
It's come to this:

Here's the full title:

The Uneven Playing Field
Sure, don’t stoop to their level. But let’s acknowledge that the game Republicans are forcing everyone to play insists morality is for losers.

Dahlia Lithwick has been seeing her faith in rule of law crumble for some time now. Last week, this:

Is It Too Late for Robert Mueller to Save Us?
It might not be enough for the special counsel to hand us a smoking gun and an indictment.

And last month, she said this near the end of an excruciating read: I now believe that the people who continue to have faith in law and in journalism are the most vulnerable to the cascade of lying that pours forth from the White House and the Justice Department. Lying destabilizes both endeavors in ways that make us feel that they cannot be practiced at all.

Can't blame her. She lives in Charlottesville, where in one week she went from this to this. And yes, definitely don't read the comments.
beantownbubba wrote:I like the phrase "closed ethical system" and "unilateral disarmament is well suited to these circumstances as well. I think I've already posted my views on this but if not, I agree 100% with the quote.
I think of it as a virtue trap or an honor trap, where your enemy maneuvers you into a position where you have to do something wrong in order for right to prevail.