The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I'm not going to talk about gun control because it's too soon. I'm going to wait for the issue to begin to fade away until next week's mass shooting, at which time it will be too soon to talk about gun control
See? That's the problem: if instead of wasting your time waiting you spent it in thought and prayer all would be well.
Was the Badlands reference intentional?

I didn't write it intentionally but I did intentionally leave it in once I realized it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

LBRod wrote:
Beebs wrote:Finding it very difficult to take the long view these days. Every generation seems to think that the world is falling apart in their time. But, I swear, the world is really falling apart.
Check back with me when the National Guard opens fire on college students.
It's getting close Rod. I remember
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jonicont wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Beebs wrote:Finding it very difficult to take the long view these days. Every generation seems to think that the world is falling apart in their time. But, I swear, the world is really falling apart.
Check back with me when the National Guard opens fire on college students.
It's getting close Rod. I remember
When we were all in Jackson, I should've seen if anyone else wanted to go see the scene of the crime at Jackson State.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Of course it's not okay about Franken. But is there any room for talk of severity, proportionality?

And what of the Republican tax cut, I mean reform, I mean increase?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I'm not going to talk about gun control because it's too soon. I'm going to wait for the issue to begin to fade away until next week's mass shooting, at which time it will be too soon to talk about gun control
See? That's the problem: if instead of wasting your time waiting you spent it in thought and prayer all would be well.
https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com/
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

had you thought that he couldn't go any lower?

on top of this, you would think there might be at least one person there who would have suggested that honoring Native Americans in front of the Andrew Jackson portrait wasn't a good look

HE.GOTS.TO.GO :x :x :x

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Classy Donald
Donald Trump has retweeted three anti-Muslim videos posted by Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of the far-right group Britain First who has been convicted of religiously aggravated harassment.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ght-leader

Maybe the British Police can arrest him when he visits next year for a hate crime.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The video he posted of "a muslim boy beating up a Dutch boy" is actually a dark-haired Dutch Boy beating up a light-haired Dutch Boy
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

’Tis the Season to Assess Your Complicity in This Catastrophe
We didn’t take to the streets when Republicans were rolling back voting rights in plain sight. We let labor unions dwindle. We ignored our racist uncles at Thanksgiving. We pretended that “apolitical” wasn’t a political stance. We didn’t bother to call our representatives. We turned activists into clowns. We left sexism and racism on the table as viable debate topics. We made sure to hear “both sides.” Millions of us voted for Trump on purpose.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:The video he posted of "a muslim boy beating up a Dutch boy" is actually a dark-haired Dutch Boy beating up a light-haired Dutch Boy
More Dutch on Dutch crime in Groningen, yet CNN and the fake news silent. Sad.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

"Whether it's a real video, the threat is real," Sanders told reporters Wednesday, according to a CBS News reporter. "His goal is to promote strong border security and strong national security."

WTF? This is a really fucking slippery slope here. Honestly, at some point, the press just needs to walk out of the White House briefing. This trash isn't worth anyone's time, and I'd say lying shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't think this is even worthy of being called a lie. It is something worse. I don't have a non-four letter adjective to describe it. So...I'll leave that to Bubba; he will know an appropriate descriptor.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlbeer wrote:"Whether it's a real video, the threat is real," Sanders told reporters Wednesday, according to a CBS News reporter. "His goal is to promote strong border security and strong national security."

WTF? This is a really fucking slippery slope here. Honestly, at some point, the press just needs to walk out of the White House briefing. This trash isn't worth anyone's time, and I'd say lying shouldn't be tolerated, but I don't think this is even worthy of being called a lie. It is something worse. I don't have a non-four letter adjective to describe it. So...I'll leave that to Bubba; he will know an appropriate descriptor.
Not to step on bubba's toes but how about fuckin bullshit
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:"Whether it's a real video, the threat is real," Sanders told reporters Wednesday, according to a CBS News reporter. "His goal is to promote strong border security and strong national security."

I appreciate the confidence but I'm not sure I can justify it. Here are some thoughts:

Propaganda - more accurate than "lie" because truth is irrelevant to propaganda, there are simply words to be manipulated in order to manipulate others w/out reference to any kind of reality or justification supported by logic or facts; lying doesn't cover it because without truth as an anchor there can't be lies
Orwellian - overused and stretched almost into meaninglessness, but this is close to an exact example of the behavior described in 1984
FUBAR - Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition is accurate but as w/ the words in that other thread perhaps no longer adequate to describe behavior that is unprecedented and which destroys the basis for rational discussion and, ultimately, civil society

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

Not to step on bubba's toes but how about fuckin bullshit
Crude, but effective. Kind of like Philadelphia itself.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Be careful what you wish for. I have asked many times in recent days how Republicans justify their support for the tax bill. Conveniently enough, the Washington Post asked 10 Republicans that very question (or at least a version of it). Their answers are not surprisingly astounding and shocking in the way that all of politics has become divorced from reality in the past few years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ing&wpmm=1

My tally:

Rand Paul's comment is justifiable though notably narrow in its focus so as to avoid all the problems with and contradictions to his exact statement and perhaps more tellingly, Mr. anti-deficit is apparently untroubled by an increase in the deficit amounting into the trillions.

Ted Cruz - If old style politics still counted this would probably pass the acceptable political bullshit test of not answering the question by relying on standard platitudes, cliches and irrelevancies, but in 2017 those platitudes, cliches and irrelevancies no longer pass the test of minimal acceptability.

The rest of them: WTF?? These guys are united states senators??? Hell, these guys graduated from high school??? Isakson of GA takes the cake w/ "the lower 98% is getting a better deal than anybody else". I'll chalk that up to him not even knowing what's in the bill. Lankford of OK is, shall we say, mathematically challenged at best and doesn't even understand the simple question at worst. Or maybe it's the other way around, I can't even tell anymore. There's a certain honesty to Roberts of KS saying in effect "who cares what this bill says, I'm voting for it for other reasons entirely." He obviously saw Mulvaney's appearance on TV last week where he proudly proclaimed that "of course the tax bill is a gimmick, that's the way we do things." As for the rest of Roberts's comments, holy shit, "babbling" doesn't begin to describe the incoherence. It's hard to know what Senator Scott of SC is talking about but it can't possibly be the current tax bill; either that or he simply doesn't understand it. I'd call that a toss up. Somebody had to say it and apparently it was Senator Kennedy of LA's turn: "I'm not an economist, but..." And on and on it goes. Frightening as it is, it does explain a lot, to wit: They're simply idiots doing idiotic things. Not very comforting, though.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tillerson not gonna even make it a year?

As has been widely rumored, reports are saying that he's likely to be replaced by Mike Pompeo (current CIA director) before the end of the year

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So Garrison Keillor is being thrown in the trash because he touched someone's back?

Is there more and I just missed it?

If not, his treatment is a far bigger assault than touching someone's bare back.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Flynn flips. This is going to be good.

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:Flynn flips. This is going to be good.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I seriously hope Robert Mueller has a food taster. If not, someone needs to start a GoFundMe

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I seriously hope Robert Mueller has a food taster. If not, someone needs to start a GoFundMe
Can you just imagine the shit-fit Trump would throw if Muller was Time's Person of the Year? I don't put much stock into this silly annual event, especially since the gimmick of putting a mirror on the front of the magazine and selecting "you". BUT, that said, it would make the Dotard's head explode.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flynnter is coming

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:I don't put much stock into this silly annual event, especially since the gimmick of putting a mirror on the front of the magazine and selecting "you".
I thought they showed uncommonly good judgement that year, till I saw other people got them, too.
pearlbeer wrote:BUT, that said, it would make the Dotard's head explode.
Just for him, they saved one of those mirror covers.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Lindsey Graham today: I’m concerned by the media’s attempt to label Trump as a kook or not fit to be President.

Lindsey Graham in 2016: “I think he’s a kook. I think he’s crazy. I think he’s unfit for office.”
— The Lead CNN (@TheLeadCNN) November 30, 2017

oh poor Aunt Pittypat, bless your heart

ETA: saw this comment online and it gave me a hearty guffaw:

Lindsey Graham? I thought his name was Reek.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Maybe the rich & the corporations will buy everybody some nice cake. That worked out well for Marie Antoinette, didn't it? I wonder if & when people are going to wake up. I guess they will put out pictures of people smiling & everything will be ok.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:Maybe the rich & the corporations will buy everybody some nice cake. That worked out well for Marie Antoinette, didn't it? I wonder if & when people are going to wake up. I guess they will put out pictures of people smiling & everything will be ok.
The Trump voters hate "libruls" so much that they will cut off their own noses over and over

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm sure there are plenty of little and not so little surprises still to be revealed in the tax bill but one thing I didn't know is that the bill allows for the deduction of private school tuition. At the same time, the bill provides that state and local taxes are no longer deductible. In addition to the really aggravating result of having to pay tax on taxed income, public education has just become notably harder to fund because public education is funded primarily through state and local taxes. It's hard to see this as anything but a declaration of war against the poor and middle class.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

All forms of education expenses are being assaulted in this bill. Except for the line-item exemptions for Bible-based diploma mills, of course