Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Books Thread

Post by Smitty »

currently re-reading
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Given to Fly

Re: Books Thread

Post by Given to Fly »

Only on pg 48 or so, and the story so far has been UNREAL

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Given to Fly wrote:Image

Only on pg 48 or so, and the story so far has been UNREAL

without question one of my favorites. Woody is probably my favorite American ever. Can't recommend that book highly enough
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Written in an "ADHD friendly format." One of the first chapters summarizes the entire book because the author knows that people with ADHD don't always read books from front to back or in their entirety. :lol:
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smitty wrote:currently re-reading

true story.

page 59
Author:
(Memo to Stephen Davis, author of Old Gods Almost Dead: It was not, as you incorrectly wrote in your book, "the overweight, glamour-deprived Gram Parsons" whom Keith threw out of his room in Denver after "Gram threatened Keith with a knife after being denied all the cocaine in the room, and that he was told to stay away from the tour". It was Stephen Stills. Next time you need to check a fact about the Stones, please feel free to call me in my office)

He goes on about other authors getting their facts wrong, and then on the VERY NEXT PAGE:

In a week's time when Sticky Fingers is released, the album will go straight to the top of the American charts and stay there for an unprecedented twenty-five weeks, making it by far the single most successful album the Stones ever produced. As the initial release on Rolling Stone Records, noone could ask for more. Featuring classic songs like "Bitch", "Brown Sugar", and "Jumping Jack Flash", Sticky Fingers becomes the album of the summer, blasting out of back seats of converitbles at the Frosty Freeze and A&W Root Beer stands all over America.

Does anyone else find this funny?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ I do.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's see:

Henry Porter: Brandenburg Gate. Very good. The Bell Ringers. Good call, OBL. Very well done, very timely.

Robert Littell: Once and Future Spy. A little too cute/clever for its own good, but still, an interesting read. The Company. A true must read classic.

whatwouldcooleydo?

about to dig into this. Can't wait, it just showed up yesterday, been hearing great things

absolutely devouring this one, must -read stuff

trying mightily to get through this one for some time but the towel could get thrown in. Written in such a way that at times it's extremely difficult to tell which side the author is talking about, making for tedious going and also making comprehension brutally tough. Haven't given up on a book in ages....

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

I struggled thru Beevor's Stalingrad. Wish I had thrown in the towel on that one. He caught some flack for his recent D-Day book. Stated that the D-Day bombings were considered war crimes or something like that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Given to Fly wrote:I struggled thru Beevor's Stalingrad. Wish I had thrown in the towel on that one. He caught some flack for his recent D-Day book. Stated that the D-Day bombings were considered war crimes or something like that.

always nice to hear that it's not just me.

have you read this one? Recommend it highly

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Haven't seen that one, I'll be on the lookout for it though. Always looking for a good history book.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:about to dig into this. Can't wait, it just showed up yesterday, been hearing great things

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,238853

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

alicedmillionaire

Post by alicedmillionaire »

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:about to dig into this. Can't wait, it just showed up yesterday, been hearing great things

trying mightily to get through this one for some time but the towel could get thrown in. Written in such a way that at times it's extremely difficult to tell which side the author is talking about, making for tedious going and also making comprehension brutally tough. Haven't given up on a book in ages....

I have that book and havent read it yet. the problem Beevor faces is that there were so many shifting factions I guess. I loved his Stalingrad (still the best history book Ive ever read I think) and Berlin. Ive also got a book about D Day I havent read.

I will definitely read that "our band" book. Will try and get it in my next Amazon order.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I liked this a lot. I dont think you need to be a fan either. Great stuff about the scene, CBGB's Max's and Warhol, art/music etc.

in the immortal words of Michelle Shocked "New York City, imagine that"
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Superfreakonomics

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Skinner's Rules by Quintin Jardine. A new author for me, of an extensive detective/thriller series featuring the very interesting Chief Skinner set in the very wonderful world of Edinburg. First one was very good, looking forward to more!!

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Disappointing to hear. I had my eye on this one: I don't know much about the subject. Beevor's book about Stalingrad is excellent. Also, his brand new one "D-Day" is a good read (it actually covers the entire Normandy Campaign.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Noel Hynd - Flowers From Berlin Interesting historically based thriller. Well written. I'm on a good roll w/ new (for me) authors lately :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John Sandford - Rough Country. Switching to the Virgil Flowers series seems to have rejuvenated Sandford, who seemed played out on the Prey/Lucas Davenport series. A good 'un.

Robert Littel - The Defection of AJ Lewinter. I can't decide about Littell. He's obviously a talented writer and a smart guy. But the sort of smarmy above it all attitude he takes goes from refreshing to obnoxious and annoying really fast. On the whole, worth reading, but not an unqualified rave.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

"They Thirst" by Robert McCammon. It was ok, I have read better, drags in some spots.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

Why Henry Drinks

Post by Why Henry Drinks »

another good one
Last edited by Why Henry Drinks on Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why Henry Drinks

Post by Why Henry Drinks »

about to dig into this one i love baseball history

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Just a bunch of anecdotes by friends of the band and some old quotes from the band members themselves. As a huge fan I found it somewhat interesting but ultimately disappointing...
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

scotto

Post by scotto »

On a related note, just ran across these literature team jerseys:

http://www.novel-t.com/index.htm

Hmmm...Poe, Dickinson, Ltzu...what, no Chandler?