Favorite Album Side (vinyl)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Danger Bird

Favorite Album Side (vinyl)

Post by Danger Bird »

Sorry if the subject of favorite album side has been a post before. Didn't see it anywhere. Thought it would be a fun thing to discuss and certainly relevant to anyone who listens to DBT primarily on vinyl. Seems pretty easy at first but its not so easy once you dig a little deeper. For example, Act II Side A of SRO seems like an the obvious winner for me aside from the fact that it contains Cassie's Brother. Anyway, here are my top few:

#1 - Side 1 The Dirty South - Where the Devil Don't Stay, Tornadoes, Day John Henry Died, Puttin' People on the Moon
Every song on that side is a gem to me. I can and do listen to it over and over repeatedly. Near perfection in my book.

#2 - Act II Side B -Souther Rock Opera - Life in the Factory, Shut Up and Get on the Plane, Greenville to Baton Rouge, Angels and Fuselage
Impossibly good.

#3 Side 1 Brighter That Creations Dark - Two Daughters, 3 Dimes Down, Righteous Path, I'm Sorry Huston, Perfect Timing
Im not as big of a BTCD fan as some but these 5 songs together are beautiful. That includes ISH. Fits right in here. Love it.

Honorable Mention Side 3 English Oceans - Natural Light, When Walter Went Crazy, First Air of Autumn, Grand Canyon
Seems like an odd selection at first but there are times when this side is all I want to listen to.

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Favorite Album Side (vinyl)

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

#1 - Side D The Dirty South - I think there are better stretches of songs in the band’s discography, but Goddamn Lonely Love is my favorite song ever, and I feel like this is when Isbell (who is still one of my favorite songwriters) really seriously started hitting his stride. Huge sentimentality factor for me there.

#2 - Act I Side B Southern Rock Opera - I’m a sucker for multi-song suites, and Zip City is a top 3 DBT song for me and definitely my favorite Cooley track.

#3 - Side A The Dirty South - I feel bad having TDS take up 2/3 of my top 3, but it’s my favorite album of theirs and Where The Devil Don’t Stay is possibly my favorite opening song, as well as a top tier Cooley track.

Interesting question though, I feel like I could have justified picking about 8 other album sides!
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

good thread.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

SRO, Side C:

Let There Be Rock
Road Cases
Women Without Whiskey
Plastic Flowers
Cassie's Brother

Those middle three songs are among the best DBT ever recorded.
Let the outside air in

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My mp3's don't have "sides" :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

scotto

Post by scotto »

I can't choose. But sides 1 or 4 of TDS, side 1 of DD, or any of SRO's four sides would qualify on any given day.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Fun but tough question! Prompted me to take inventory - I'm missing a few that I need to add while I still can.

For me, SRO Act I Side A:

DAYS OF GRADUATION
RONNIE AND NEIL
72 (this highway's mean)
DEAD, DRUNK, AND NAKED
GUITAR MAN UPSTAIRS

Question: Do any DBT albums other than Go-Go Boots have etchings beyond the usual catalog (cataloging rather - whatever the cryptic alpha-numeric character strings are called near the center)?
Side 1 - SHE WAS ALL PROVOCATIVE AND EVERYTHING
Side 2 - UNTIL SHE SAW WHAT I WAS CAPABLE OF
Side 3 - GIVEN THE PROPER AMOUNT OF DARKNESS
Side 4 - SOUNDS GREAT...PRINT IT!