The Nashville Sound - June 16th

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Nashville Sound - June 16th

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:Two and a half spins and I'm done. Not that there aren't moments, or even entire tracks that I like. But there's so much good music in the world I just don't feel like I should have to work so hard to find something worth while in an album.

He's a genericana pop star with a bloated band and slick production. I wish him all the success he can find but I doubt i'll even bother with the next one. It's over, and has been for a while.

*edit for punctuation
This. I said something very similar in a FB group yesterday but I think I danced around it and took three paragraphs to essentially express what you said in 6 succinct sentences. In any case I agree. Well done.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

A series of disjointed thoughts.....

I certainly respect others opinions, however I dig the album. Other than Southeastern, Jason and the 400 Unit don't have an album in their catalog which I consider to be great. To my ears his albums are usually unbalanced in regards to some being standouts, some being average, and some being throw away songs. Whereas the highs on this album may not peak as high as past albums, I don't feel like the lows on this album fall very far. In this regard, I believe that its a balance album with a decent collection of songs.
Cumberland Gap, Anxiety, Hope The High Road, and Last of My Kind are my early favorites.

Through 5 listens I can unequivocally state that I prefer and will listen to this album more often than SMTF.

And Beebs and TC, I respect your opinions. I know that each of you, like myself, were catching this band struggle financially in front of 30-50 people crowds early on. It's a better album than S/T during that time, right? (I really like Streetlights and Sunstroke though) Were your expectations too high going in to this one or something? It seems pretty par for the course.

Furthermore, I think that it's pretty cool that he proudly mentions the fact that he used to play in DBT, almost any chance that he can get. He mentioned it on the Daily Show interview last night . After all, he is a MUCH bigger draw than DBT these days

The shows won't ever be the same as they were in the Beat Kitchen, Double Door, or Lincoln Hall days. The dynamics in the crowd has changed in his move to the Chicago Theatre. And while less dangerous and less loose, I haven't ever seen a bad Jason Isbell show. I'll still catch him from time to time. And if he continues to put out albums on par with The Nashville Sound, I'll continue to buy his records as well.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Many albums I listen to are "growers". I think this one is a "shrinker". I liked it a lot on first listen, but it has diminishing returns.

I sometimes think of things this way: If you made a 12 track "Best of Isbell Vol. 1" compilation, how many songs would come from this one? I"m thinking just one.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:And Beebs and TC, I respect your opinions. I know that each of you, like myself, were catching this band struggle financially in front of 30-50 people crowds early on. It's a better album than S/T during that time, right? (I really like Streetlights and Sunstroke though) Were your expectations too high going in to this one or something? It seems pretty par for the course.
Here's the funny thing, when I do decide to pull out an Isbell record it's the S/T album or Live from Alabama. The only song I really care to hear from Southeastern is Elephant (one of the best songs written by anyone in the last 20 years) and the rest I find to be fine but with limited hours of music listening I look for more than fine. Here's the funny thing, I like Jason. I think he's a solid guy and does a lot for the appreciation of music and his heart is definitely in the right place on social issues. I've enjoyed his press junket very much, lots of good stuff there.

I guess here's the real stuff, I'm tired of feeling guilty about this. I don't hate Jason's music and the only song he's ever written that I would turn off the radio on is 24 Frames, in fact if I've got Outlaw Country playing on Sirius I'll likely crank the volume when I hear one of his tracks. I like the guy and am happy for his success. Do I have to love the albums? I mean I just don't think so.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

I actually think Southeastern is masterful, and one of my favorite albums of this century (TBH, my favorite any of them have released since the split). I still regularly spin it. I can't say that for the last two (or actually any of his solo records). But I'm coming around to that being ok, there are few artists that put out repeat records that I think of so highly. My expectations have been understandably high when the last two JI albums were announced. SMTF, because of how much I enjoyed Southeastern, and this one due to the publicity around a more raw/rocking sound. Neither of them really lived up to those expectations.

hanklow

Post by hanklow »

Zip City wrote: I sometimes think of things this way: If you made a 12 track "Best of Isbell Vol. 1" compilation, how many songs would come from this one? I"m thinking just one.
If you include Isbell penned DBT songs, I may have a difficult time making room for one.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From last night's episode of The Daily Show, link to the extended version of the interview here.

Clams

Post by Clams »

hanklow wrote:I actually think Southeastern is masterful, and one of my favorite albums of this century (TBH, my favorite any of them have released since the split). I still regularly spin it. I can't say that for the last two (or actually any of his solo records). But I'm coming around to that being ok, there are few artists that put out repeat records that I think of so highly. My expectations have been understandably high when the last two JI albums were announced. SMTF, because of how much I enjoyed Southeastern, and this one due to the publicity around a more raw/rocking sound. Neither of them really lived up to those expectations.
I agree with all of this
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

hanklow wrote:
Zip City wrote: I sometimes think of things this way: If you made a 12 track "Best of Isbell Vol. 1" compilation, how many songs would come from this one? I"m thinking just one.
If you include Isbell penned DBT songs, I may have a difficult time making room for one.
i'm not
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

When Zip called Jason albums "shrinkers" he fucking nailed it.

Southeastern floored me the first time I heard, and most of the first month or two I had it. I just don't go for it much these days.

I listened to "Nashville Sound" for a week non-stop. It's starting to slip. I still think I like most of the songs (I still love Molotov and Tupelo), but I did my Top 10 of the year and it didn't make the cut. The high points are enjoyable and the lows aren't that bad. There's just a lot of other music coming out that I like as much as this.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:And Beebs and TC, I respect your opinions. I know that each of you, like myself, were catching this band struggle financially in front of 30-50 people crowds early on. It's a better album than S/T during that time, right? (I really like Streetlights and Sunstroke though) Were your expectations too high going in to this one or something? It seems pretty par for the course.
Here's the funny thing, when I do decide to pull out an Isbell record it's the S/T album or Live from Alabama. The only song I really care to hear from Southeastern is Elephant (one of the best songs written by anyone in the last 20 years) and the rest I find to be fine but with limited hours of music listening I look for more than fine. Here's the funny thing, I like Jason. I think he's a solid guy and does a lot for the appreciation of music and his heart is definitely in the right place on social issues. I've enjoyed his press junket very much, lots of good stuff there.

I guess here's the real stuff, I'm tired of feeling guilty about this. I don't hate Jason's music and the only song he's ever written that I would turn off the radio on is 24 Frames, in fact if I've got Outlaw Country playing on Sirius I'll likely crank the volume when I hear one of his tracks. I like the guy and am happy for his success. Do I have to love the albums? I mean I just don't think so.
Nothing wrong with that at all.

Cuban, I agree with you. There is no Elephant among these songs. There isn't even a If It Takes A Lifetime or Children of Children. But there is nothing close to Daisey May or The Devil Is My Running Mate or anything like the more forgettable songs from the past few. Nothing great but nothing that makes me want to skip either. Not this early in the game anyway. I actually enjoy his records more now that I kind of just expect something like this.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Thanks man. I appreciate the street cred.

Yeah, I remember me and Mrs Beebs standing directly in front of his mic while he opened for Son Volt on a knee high stage. We screamed ourselves hoarse that night. It was literally a few weeks out from the (at the time) ugly spilt with DBT. He leaned down and said something like "you can't know how much I appreciate you guys right now". So yeah, we go way back. Shit,the guys been my avatar for maybe a decade at this point.

Honestly, I'm a big fan of those early records and that might lend some inside into why he just doesn't make music I need anymore. He made fairly sparse, low budget records that really spoke to me. He's a great guitar player whether he's shredding or on solo acoustic. He really knows how to use that weird voice he has - when he puts some power behind that scratchy falsetto thing he can do I get goosebumps. And he's written some catchy as hell, smart songs.

Sirens, 400 Unit, and Here We Rest are solid for me and still spin them pretty often. Honest albums by a hardworking guy. Southeastern is a really great album, but starts getting a little... I don't know...safer? SMTF sounds fantastic, but just never hooked me to the point where I'm only nominally familiar with it. Nashville pretty much nailed my expectations. I was hoping SMTF was just a departure but it seems like its going to be the norm from here on out.

Said it before, say it again - I'd love to see him pile up some songs that he's really in love with (I just don't for a second believe that he thinks something like Anxiety is his best work) and make his Nebraska. It could be brilliant.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Y'all make sure you watch Jason's interview on the The Daily Show that Kudzu posted above.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Rocky wrote:Y'all make sure you watch Jason's interview on the The Daily Show that Kudzu posted above.
Great interview.

Name checks upstate NY as a place with a bunch of ignorant, racist people! I've been trying to tell you guys this for years.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Beebs wrote:
Rocky wrote:Y'all make sure you watch Jason's interview on the The Daily Show that Kudzu posted above.
Great interview.

Name checks upstate NY as a place with a bunch of ignorant, racist people! I've been trying to tell you guys this for years.
A wise man once said, "ya know racism is a worldwide problem."

I like the new album...not as much as southeastern but more than the previous albulm. I'll have to give it more spins to generate more opinions.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

I am such a fan of Jason and his story that I just want to love everything he puts out. The reality is that I only listen to him these days while I'm with my wife - which is nice but not necessarily a compliment.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Nashville Sound is slow to work into my head, but Jason's albums have typically been slow growers for me and so I'll give it some time. I agree that the songwriting on Cumberland Gap and Anxiety seem to not quite be up there and there are maybe no obvious standouts like Dress Blues, Elephant, or Children of Children, but White Man's World has found its way in pretty deep and some others are working their way in, so we'll see where it settles a little ways down the road. It seems more like an extension of the style he's focused on the past two records than a new direction overall, so it doesn't surprise me that people who don't like those records so much don't like this one either.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Danger Bird wrote:I am such a fan of Jason and his story that I just want to love everything he puts out. The reality is that I only listen to him these days while I'm with my wife - which is nice but not necessarily a compliment.
I can totally relate to this.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I opened a copy of the latest Mojo Magazine this morning and there it was; the first picture I have ever seen of The Drive By Truckers in this magazine.

Of Course it was there due to a Jason Isbell article but that first picture was there just the same.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

So I'll admit maybe I came in a little hot on this one.

My overall assessment of the music Jason makes these days hasn't changed. But I've made sure to spend some more time with this album and it has grown on me a bit.

And maybe, as Cubfan mentioned, expectations do have something to do with my take on this. I'm invested in this person and his music. Been rooting for him for years and while I'm very satisfied that HE is enjoying the pay off of all that hard work and dedication I wish I could enjoy it more. I'd love to love everything he does but its just not there for me. Anyway, it's a really well done album, just not my bag.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:So I'll admit maybe I came in a little hot on this one.

My overall assessment of the music Jason makes these days hasn't changed. But I've made sure to spend some more time with this album and it has grown on me a bit.

And maybe, as Cubfan mentioned, expectations do have something to do with my take on this. I'm invested in this person and his music. Been rooting for him for years and while I'm very satisfied that HE is enjoying the pay off of all that hard work and dedication I wish I could enjoy it more. I'd love to love everything he does but its just not there for me. Anyway, it's a really well done album, just not my bag.
Yep, all of this. I gave it a few spins over the weekend and it's way better than SMTF so there is that. The other thing though is, like Trevor Noah said when he was on his show I could listen to Jason talk all day long. I am really loving his press junket this time out. Dude has a lot to say and says it well.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:This might be my favorite of his solo efforts, or at least the one I can see myself listening to most frequently in the coming years. I'm not sure it's a better record than Southeastern, but I think I'll find myself in the mood for it more often.

SMTF only has four songs I ever really return to: "If It Takes a Lifetime," "Children of Children," "Speed Trap Town," and "To a Band That I Loved." I think this one will top that pretty easily.

The only song I think I'll routinely skip is "Hope The High Road." I like the sentiment, but it just doesn't do much for me.
Listened to the S/T record tonight. I rescind this post. I like JI&400U way, way more than I like The Nashville Sound. Guess it'd been a while since I spun it, but it's not even close.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:This might be my favorite of his solo efforts, or at least the one I can see myself listening to most frequently in the coming years. I'm not sure it's a better record than Southeastern, but I think I'll find myself in the mood for it more often.

SMTF only has four songs I ever really return to: "If It Takes a Lifetime," "Children of Children," "Speed Trap Town," and "To a Band That I Loved." I think this one will top that pretty easily.

The only song I think I'll routinely skip is "Hope The High Road." I like the sentiment, but it just doesn't do much for me.
Listened to the S/T record tonight. I rescind this post. I like JI&400U way, way more than I like The Nashville Sound. Guess it'd been a while since I spun it, but it's not even close.
We love to compare records with each other around here! (I won't drag us through another round of SMTF debate, but I'd add "Palmetto Rose" to that, if for the bridge at the end alone - and then say walking away with 4-5 songs for a record by a single songwriter isn't a bad outcome).

His first three records each have different moods - these last three are certainly closer in style to each other than the three before. S/T has a special place in my hearty, largely because I like that style of music better - blues-based, heartfelt wails of hurt. But I've already said more than enough on that album viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5538

I guess the key with Nashville Sound is his comment, maybe to those of us wanting him to hang on to his older styles:

I heard enough of the white man's blues
I've sang enough about myself
So if you're looking for some bad news
You can find it somewhere else

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
Danger Bird wrote:I am such a fan of Jason and his story that I just want to love everything he puts out. The reality is that I only listen to him these days while I'm with my wife - which is nice but not necessarily a compliment.
I can totally relate to this.
I relate to this as well. Isbell's reach is more broad. His writing is consistently some of the best out there, and he can put on a heck of a live show. Big things ahead for this guy.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

lotusamerica wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

We love to compare records with each other around here! (I won't drag us through another round of SMTF debate, but I'd add "Palmetto Rose" to that, if for the bridge at the end alone - and then say walking away with 4-5 songs for a record by a single songwriter isn't a bad outcome).

His first three records each have different moods - these last three are certainly closer in style to each other than the three before. S/T has a special place in my hearty, largely because I like that style of music better - blues-based, heartfelt wails of hurt. But I've already said more than enough on that album viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5538

I guess the key with Nashville Sound is his comment, maybe to those of us wanting him to hang on to his older styles:

I heard enough of the white man's blues
I've sang enough about myself
So if you're looking for some bad news
You can find it somewhere else
Nice write-up! Loud and late-night were definitely applicable to my decision to make that post. I actually do like The Nashville Sound quite a bit (more than many around here, it seems); its musical aesthetic just isn't as appealing to me as some of the older work. It's interesting that Isbell has talked a lot recently about no longer waiting on the muse and being more diligent about just getting to work. His new stuff does strike me as more "craftsman-like" than the older stuff. And it's clearly working for him, which I'm happy as hell to see.

The S/T record also holds a special place in my heart, not least because it was actually my entrée into the DBT universe. I had been aware of them, but for whatever reason hadn't really sought them out. I was a member of some sort of eMusic subscription plan (pre-streaming days; I think I got like 50 downloads per month or something), and stumbled across Isbell's S/T in June 2010. Spent a bit of time with it, and then dug into TDS and TBTD the next month. Three Cooley songs from those records eventually got their hooks into me (Carl Perkins, Birthday Boy, and Devil), and the rest, as they say, is history.

Also, it's super cool that I can look back at last.fm for reminders on how my music listening has unfolded over time. JI & 400U-->TDS-->TBTD-->SRO-->BTCD-->DD-->GGB-->GB. Binged PD the day or two leading up to my first Rock Show in March 2012. My first show was also Matt Patton's first show, I believe.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:His new stuff does strike me as more "craftsman-like" than the older stuff.
You nailed it. Agree 100%
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Took about two solid weeks of listening to the record, but I think I finally have a fully formed opinion on it. I didn’t get into Jason (or the Truckers for that matter) until about 2013-2014, so I didn’t have the frame of reference I know a lot of y’all do. I was completely blown away by Jason’s work with the Truckers and Southeastern too for that matter. When SMTF came out I was pretty high on it at first, but it wore thin pretty quickly for me. Still some great songs on there like Speed Trap Town and the title track, but most of them I don’t have in rotation anymore.

The first couple times I listened to The Nashville Sound I was very impressed with it, though I’m not quite as high on it now. Last of My Kind, Tupelo, Molotov and Something to Love are personal favorites of mine, while I think the rest of the record ranges somewhere from average to solid. I agree that Anxiety goes on faaaaaar too long, though I have a feeling it will play much better in a live setting than in the studio. I disagree with a pretty good bit of Pitchfork’s review of the album, though some of the comments on directionless songwriting and the like are pretty correct.

Overall, I’d probably give the album a 7.5/10. Definitely not as good as Southeastern, but a good bit better than SMTF. I’m excited to see him at the Ryman in August, hoping whatever his next project is continues in this direction in terms of overall quality.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

The Charlie Rose interview is a good one:

https://charlierose.com/videos/30668

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Awesome. Thank you.