The Nashville Sound - June 16th

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: The Nashville Sound - June 16th

Post by Clams »

Excellent interview by the always excellent Steven Hyden

http://uproxx.com/music/jason-isbell-th ... interview/
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

ScottyG

Post by ScottyG »

White Man's World is pretty out of sight.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:Excellent interview by the always excellent Steven Hyden

http://uproxx.com/music/jason-isbell-th ... interview/
Good stuff, and Hyden does do excellent work but does this mean Isbell fans will forgive him for his poor review of SMTF? Folks were pretty pissed at him at the time.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jh13 wrote:Good for Jason that it hasn't leaked, yet, I think this is his first album since Sirens that didn't leak way ahead of release.
Bless your heart
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Zip City wrote:
jh13 wrote:Good for Jason that it hasn't leaked, yet, I think this is his first album since Sirens that didn't leak way ahead of release.
Bless your heart
Not sure what you're saying. Maybe it's being passed around behind the scenes, but it's not in any of the major torrents sites months in advance like the last few.

ScottyG

Post by ScottyG »

Yeah I'm also surprised it hasn't leaked yet*, although at this point half of it is available anyway. His (and DBT's) most recent albums leaked MONTHS in advance. I never understood the point of announcing a release 4 months ahead of time. Wish everyone would go with the "surprise" model, but I'm not a business person so what do I know.

*If it has leaked someone send it to me please!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:Got a sneak peek the other day; nothing earth shattering, but I think it's more my speed than the last 3 or so. Really dug it, especially Tupelo & Molotov. Pretty sure Chaos & Clothes is about Ryan Adams, similar to New South Wales being about JTE.
My first impression is that if you haven't been a fan of Jason's recent work, nothing here will change your mind. It's also not as "rocking" as advertised.

That said, there are some REALLY good songs here (the White Man's World-->If We Were Vampires-->Anxiety run is amazing).

Tha Criddler

Post by Tha Criddler »

I saw a guy sharing it the other day but he got offline the instant I saw him.

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

Every forum I hop on it seems there are a few people saying it's out there but none of the usual methods seem to be turning it up for me

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I know Jason named this album as an ironic jab at the country music industry, but it's doubly ironic considering that there are a few tubes here that would fit comfortably in a mainstream country radio format.

paulc

Post by paulc »

I'd love an early listen

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:I know Jason named this album as an ironic jab at the country music industry, but it's doubly ironic considering that there are a few tubes here that would fit comfortably in a mainstream country radio format.
I don't know if it was necessarily a "jab"; he mentions in the Hyden interview that there's country songs on the record, which to my knowledge is his first actual acknowledgment of making country music. He also mentions something about his wife trying to change the Nashville sound in one of the sons (White Mans World maybe?)

He played the Grand Ole Opry recently, I believe he's embracing his country status. With that said, there is nothing that would fit on mainstream country radio in the modern day. Stapleton's songs are the exception that proves the rule.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

As Zip mentioned, it's not the rocking record folks were hoping for. More of the same mid tempo songs with the occasional lyric that brings a tear to your eye.

As a wise man told me, it kinda sounds like the old Isbell's been neutered.

(Good for him though, if ticket sales and musical respect are any indications, it's obviously working for him).

For me though, Zzzz zzzzzz.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:I know Jason named this album as an ironic jab at the country music industry, but it's doubly ironic considering that there are a few tubes here that would fit comfortably in a mainstream country radio format.
I don't know if it was necessarily a "jab"; he mentions in the Hyden interview that there's country songs on the record, which to my knowledge is his first actual acknowledgment of making country music. He also mentions something about his wife trying to change the Nashville sound in one of the sons (White Mans World maybe?)

He played the Grand Ole Opry recently, I believe he's embracing his country status. With that said, there is nothing that would fit on mainstream country radio in the modern day. Stapleton's songs are the exception that proves the rule.
I think Little Big Town or Lady Antebellum would have a hit with Something to Love

ford911

Post by ford911 »

tupelo is my fave so far

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ford911 wrote:tupelo is my fave so far
Mine as well. I've spent a lot of time with it the past few days, and these were the thoughts I posted on another board:

I listened on head phones today while out picking rock and there's a lot of cool shit going on courtesy of the 400 Unit. It's not a rocker, and I wanted a rocker. We were sort of lead to believe it was a rocker, and that colored my first impressions. But rockin' ain't what Jason is about these days, and these quieter, meditative songs are still dropping some series gut-wrenching truths. Molotov hit me in the feels today.

It doesn't have the initial wow factor of Southeastern, it doesn't have the ragged fury of his earlier solo work/DBT stuff, but he's writing about a lot of the shit that goes through my head, the melodies are intricate, and there's enough here to keep me counted as a fan. The 400 Unit brings a lot to the edges of this record to keep it warm and engaging where SMTF felt awfully brittle.

Initial top 3:
Tupelo
Molotov
Last of My Kind

The only skipper is Chaos and Clothes.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:and these were the thoughts I posted on another board:
What?!? Are you cheating on us, Iowan?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cumberland Gap = straight Ryan Adams influence. Could fit right in on Ryan's S/T record
Tupelo - Do I hear a little Lucinda influence?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:and these were the thoughts I posted on another board:
What?!? Are you cheating on us, Iowan?
It's a sports board with a lively music discussion.

Besides, you're all a bunch of dirty whores (said in Frank Reynolds fashion)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Cumberland Gap = straight Ryan Adams influence. Could fit right in on Ryan's S/T record
I don't hear any of this.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:Cumberland Gap = straight Ryan Adams influence. Could fit right in on Ryan's S/T record
Cumberland Gap is basically Gimme Something Good part 2

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Cumberland Gap is basically Gimme Something Good part 2
It's maybe a similar chord progression? The tempo is very different, as is the melody. FWIW, I like Gimme Something Good better.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

a lot of it is in the production. It has that "wannabe 80's rock" thing going on that Adams has done the last two records

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:a lot of it is in the production. It has that "wannabe 80's rock" thing going on that Adams has done the last two records
I definitely get that out of Adams' last two albums but just not what I hear on Cumberland Gap.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:a lot of it is in the production. It has that "wannabe 80's rock" thing going on that Adams has done the last two records
I definitely get that out of Adams' last two albums but just not what I hear on Cumberland Gap.
fair enough

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Clams wrote:As Zip mentioned, it's not the rocking record folks were hoping for. More of the same mid tempo songs with the occasional lyric that brings a tear to your eye.

As a wise man told me, it kinda sounds like the old Isbell's been neutered.

(Good for him though, if ticket sales and musical respect are any indications, it's obviously working for him).

For me though, Zzzz zzzzzz.
Some of these tracks have the potential to rock live. I guess we'll know shortly.
Dave

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I still argue that Isbell never really rocked

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Iowan wrote:
ford911 wrote:tupelo is my fave so far
Mine as well. I've spent a lot of time with it the past few days, and these were the thoughts I posted on another board:

I listened on head phones today while out picking rock and there's a lot of cool shit going on courtesy of the 400 Unit. It's not a rocker, and I wanted a rocker. We were sort of lead to believe it was a rocker, and that colored my first impressions. But rockin' ain't what Jason is about these days, and these quieter, meditative songs are still dropping some series gut-wrenching truths. Molotov hit me in the feels today.

It doesn't have the initial wow factor of Southeastern, it doesn't have the ragged fury of his earlier solo work/DBT stuff, but he's writing about a lot of the shit that goes through my head, the melodies are intricate, and there's enough here to keep me counted as a fan. The 400 Unit brings a lot to the edges of this record to keep it warm and engaging where SMTF felt awfully brittle.

Initial top 3:
Tupelo
Molotov
Last of My Kind

The only skipper is Chaos and Clothes.
Ha, the beauty of a new Isbell record. Chaos and Clothes might be my favorite and Tupelo is near the bottom for me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Chaos and Clothes" sounds like something off Love is Hell, and I think that's intentional.

"Cumberland Gap" sounds vaguely Springsteenish, but nothing at all like DRA; maybe it sounds like DRA what is shooting short of in his Springsteen phase.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:
"Cumberland Gap" sounds vaguely Springsteenish, but nothing at all like DRA; maybe it sounds like DRA what is shooting short of in his Springsteen phase.
When I said it sounds like DRA, I'm referring to the production and verses. The chorus sounds nothing like DRA