Blessing And A Curse

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bnzz

Blessing And A Curse

Post by bnzz »

ALL YOU HATERS CAN SUCK IT! Damn this album is good

Cole Younger

Re: Blessing And A Curse

Post by Cole Younger »

I like it too. Always have. My only complaint is not enough Cooley.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

High highs, low lows.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:High highs, low lows.
True....the lows mainly being the 2 Isbell songs.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

2nd only to the Holy Trinity.

Might be Patterson's best album. No weak links for him here

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:High highs, low lows.
True....the lows mainly being the 2 Isbell songs.
There's no good reason at all why "When The Well Runs Dry" wasn't on this album. Not at all. If it had replaced "Daylight" (I think "Easy On Yourself is a great Isbell song) this album would be 10x better. And I already think it's a great album.
Last edited by brett27295 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I'm in love with the DBT which is awesome and unconditional however its not quite as awesome as when I was still in the process of falling in love which is what was happening for me when ABAAC was released.
I had the cd delivered to where was staying in Vegas on a climbing trip. my buddy thought I was nuts because for about three days all I did was spin that record while scouring the liner notes and lyric sheet.
then proceeded to san diego, los angeles and san fransisco for four nights of DBT showcasing this record with Son Volt in tow. They played all 11 songs throughout those four nights and by that point I was already hooked like cut bait. I love every single song on this record.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

boyyourself wrote:I'm in love with the DBT which is awesome and unconditional however its not quite as awesome as when I was still in the process of falling in love which is what was happening for me when ABAAC was released.
I had the cd delivered to where was staying in Vegas on a climbing trip. my buddy thought I was nuts because for about three days all I did was spin that record while scouring the liner notes and lyric sheet.
then proceeded to san diego, los angeles and san fransisco for four nights of DBT showcasing this record with Son Volt in tow. They played all 11 songs throughout those four nights and by that point I was already hooked like cut bait. I love every single song on this record.
I was at those Hollywood HOB shows as well. The next morning while basking in the afterglow, enjoying a Bloody Mary at Barney's Beanery at the Third Street Promenade, my buddy says "The Truckers are playing in San Francisco tonight, wanna go?". Seven hours and about 400 miles later we were smack dab in the middle of Cooleyville for my first ever Fillmore show. It was there that I met WWCD for the first time, although we wouldn't become friends for another three years. My only regret? Heading to the bathroom at the House of Blues and missing out on the only "Little Bonnie" that they played at any of my 28 rockshows.

njMark

Post by njMark »

My first show was when this album came out, they were the first of 3 acts that rainy day at PNC, I've always loved this album but I know my opinions on which albums are better than others is not usually in sync with most others.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Still in my top 5.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

That was their latest album when I started listening in 2006. World of Hurt and Gravity's Gone can't go wrong for me.

Hood's dislike for the title track and Jason's weak effort (understandable in hindsight) make it less than top tier to DBT fans IMHO.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Feb 14" Hood 3:40
2. "Gravity's Gone" Cooley 3:33
3. "Easy on Yourself" Isbell 3:28
4. "Aftermath USA" Hood 3:16
5. "Goodbye" Hood 6:11
6. "Daylight" Isbell 3:35
7. "Wednesday" Hood 4:04
8. "Little Bonnie" Hood 3:56
9. "Space City" Cooley 4:48
10. "A Blessing and a Curse" Hood 5:31
11. "A World of Hurt"

Flea

Post by Flea »

blackwll wrote:That was their latest album when I started listening in 2006. World of Hurt and Gravity's Gone can't go wrong for me.

Hood's dislike for the title track and Jason's weak effort (understandable in hindsight) make it less than top tier to DBT fans IMHO.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Feb 14" Hood 3:40
2. "Gravity's Gone" Cooley 3:33
3. "Easy on Yourself" Isbell 3:28
4. "Aftermath USA" Hood 3:16
5. "Goodbye" Hood 6:11
6. "Daylight" Isbell 3:35
7. "Wednesday" Hood 4:04
8. "Little Bonnie" Hood 3:56
9. "Space City" Cooley 4:48
10. "A Blessing and a Curse" Hood 5:31
11. "A World of Hurt"

There are 5 songs on that cd that are skippers for me. ABAAC is not one of them. Never understood Mr. Hood's disdain for the tune.
Now it's dark.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

I was going through a rough time in my life when Blessing and a Curse came out. I must have listened to it a thousand times. Did'nt matter to me that it wasn't their best effort. Those songs were just what I needed at the time. Hell, I enjoyed the imperfections. Showed they were human. I mean nothing lasts forever!

Anyway, your bad times define your life as much as the good times do. When I listen to that album (which I often do) I automatically reflect on that period of my life. There are some things that I am real proud of and some things that I would rather forget. Imagine they feel the same.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

love me some abaac talk.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5232

^^^^good thread here with commentary by patterson.

free kudzu!!