St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

blackwll

St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Post by blackwll »

Check these guys out if you get a chance. They are great live and opened some for DBT when first starting out. Browan Lollar from Isbells band is their guitar player.

http://weldbham.com/blog/2016/12/20/cru ... test-soul/

WarHenRecords

Re: St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Post by WarHenRecords »

Really great band and as far as "new school white-boy-fronted soul music" is concerned, I'd go with St. Paul 100 times out of 100 over Nathanial Rateliff.
Very kind and genuine people too.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's a whole bunch of positive "press" about this band scattered around this site. Some of it from when they toured w/ DBT, but some generated by their own shows & records.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Fantastic band! We've followed Browan since his Isbell days. They opened for the Stones a while back. I asked Browan about the experience. He said the 50,000 people didn't bother him so much but when he looked over and saw Keith watching him, he about froze.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ great story.

I like what this band is doing but the singer kinda gets on my nerves. Sorry.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Rocky wrote:^^^ great story.

I like what this band is doing but the singer kinda gets on my nerves. Sorry.
same. i think i posted about it in the irrational anger thread a while back.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'll reiterate what WarHen said above, they are wonderful guys and just a blast live. I was an early supporter. Funny story; a few years back they were coming to Jackson for the first time and Traci Thomas, who manages them, contacted Beth the morning of the show to see if we were going to see them. Beth told her that of course we were and already had tickets. They were playing the small room of the local club Hal & Mal's (DBT plays the large room when they come here) and when we got there the band was sitting at a table having supper. We went up, introduced ourselves and said hello. Both of us had met Browan a few times over the years but the other guys were all new to us. We made the pleasant "looking forward to seeing you play" noises and went to eat supper ourselves. About ten minutes later Paul came up to our table, introduced himself formally, and said that Traci had told them that she had people she knew coming to the show. He asked us if we were Traci's people to which we laughed and told him we supposed that we were. He sat down and we had a really nice conversation. Later they put on a great show for about 30 enthusiastic people and it was clear they were going places. When Traci asked Beth for feedback though she told her that the boys needed new suits, that they were worn and maybe not as washed as would be desired. We saw them again about four months later and they had brand new snazzy suits. The best part is that the last time they played here it was at Thalia Mara hall which seats 2,000 and it sold out. We were out of town, sadly, but so glad for their success. Plus I get to say that we know, however casually, a band who opened for the Rolling Stones.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

walthers

Post by walthers »

Very cool story, thanks for sharing.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I like these guys alright. I generally turn to the greats when it comes to soul music. Black Joe Louis and the Honeybears (where have they been?) and Barrence Whitfield being the two current acts that are the exception to that rule.

These guys are a good band. I like Browan. But I'm also annoyed by the singer.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

They were scheduled as one of the opening acts for the 2014 HC. We had been hearing about them through Browan so we were really excited about seeing them for the first time. Then we found out they were playing at Jackrabbits a week before HC. Even better they were opening for Grace and Tony who I had been in love with for about a year already. Jackrabbits is very small place. DBT played there prior to SRO. There was probably a little over 50 people there. About 10 with us. Marina's got some video on youtube but I can't bring nothing up on this devise. I can't even copy and paste. But if you want a good laugh look it up as Bogart and I are dancing, St Paul and the Broken Bones ninty nine and a half (Wilson Picket cover)
Of couse the crowd was a lot bigger the following week at HC where we met Browan's girlfriend in the crowd and moved her in front of us for a better view.
I really love the way the band gets you warmed up before Paul comes out on stage. Has he started coming out in a cape yet?
The last time we saw them they were headlining a 2000 seat place like TC said. Really good stuff, as usual, from north Alabama.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cole Younger wrote:I like these guys alright. I generally turn to the greats when it comes to soul music. Black Joe Louis and the Honeybears (where have they been?) and Barrence Whitfield being the two current acts that are the exception to that rule.

These guys are a good band. I like Browan. But I'm also annoyed by the singer.
I saw Black Joe Louis & the Honeybears a few years back here in Connecticut. That was a fine show. They're playing the Earl in Atlanta on February 16. Too bad it's not one night sooner as 2/16 is night 1 of Homecoming.
Have you heard Lee Fields & the Expressions? They opened a show for DBT at one of their Washington DC New Year's runs and kicked ass.
I agree with what you and others have said about St. Paul and the Broken Bones. I like the band better than the singer.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Caught a Black Joe Lewis show a few years ago and it was pretty underwhelming.
Much prefer St. Paul.
Lee Fields is amazing for sure.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

They sold out the Dothan Opera House in an hour or so, mostly online. Small, place, maybe 750 seats, http://www.alabama360.com/dothan/operah ... house.html
but that's fast for a small town. Apparently the folks at the city were surprised to hear they were interested in playing here.

"Dothan was the one ... we were trying to think of places we've never played," said Janeway. "We really had to really research Dothan. Because there wasn't a ton of places to play." They also eyeballed Fort Payne, but couldn't make it work, he said. "We had a few promoters working on this. One of the promoters at Red Mountain Entertainment ... I told 'em to call Dothan. They said they called Dothan and they were like, 'Are you sure you got the right number?'"

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... aba_3.html

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Anybody going to Montgomery Friday?

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey y'all -

Relix is providing a free steam of tonite's gig from the Cap. See the link below for more info:

https://jambands.com/news/2019/02/14/fr ... l-theatre/

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

What do you think about their latest (disco) album? They kind of lost me there. Hope they come back to the soul sound. His glitter trash bag get up is a little odd, too.

Nevertheless, one of the most energetic live performers I have ever seen.

PS - did you see the SEC network show TrueSouth about Birmingham food with Janeway and Lollar at the Bright Star in Bessemer? That was a good show. Great music too, including many faves on this site. They did one in Athens but not music except a picture of the restaurant REM's Automatic for the People was named after.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-rele ... c-network/

It only had 4 episodes, the others on Nashville (which was also very good) and Shreveport (which I missed unfortunately).

http://johntedge.com/truesouth/

Kind of had the vibe of the late great TurnerSouth network. Man I miss that. They even had an early DBT performance on there, which was not very good. But TS tried. Bought out by Fox and they put Fox SportsSouth on it (not a bad network, but we have enough sports on TV).

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

blackwll wrote:What do you think about their latest (disco) album? They kind of lost me there. Hope they come back to the soul sound. His glitter trash bag get up is a little odd, too.
I saw them a few months ago and though the new songs worked very well in a live setting.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Hey y'all -
These cats from Birmingham Alabama are playing the Brooklyn Bowl (Bklyn) tonite and Relix is streaming the gig free.
Here is the link: (you have to put in an email address and zip) - Enjoy

https://relix.com/live/livestream-20191 ... ken-bones/

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

On CBS This Morning in about 40 minutes so get your ass outta bed!