Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Coney

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by Coney »

Danger Bird wrote:Hey - I am a long time fan that has always been reluctant to chime in. Just didn't feel worthy, I guess. I recently reflected on my decade long fascination with DBT and submit the following highlights and lowlights as an informal introduction:
1. I have seen DBT in multiple states and venues. Favorite place to see them is at the National in Richmond.
2. My boss thinks it is weird that I go to "homecoming" in February.
3. Favorite show ever was at the Handlebar in Greenville right before Isbell departed. Dexateens opened.
4. Was so fired up after the show that I drove 2 hours in the wrong direction before realizing what I had done.
5. We all talk about Cooley like he was a part of the family.
6. My mother-in-law once bought me "Pizza Deliverance" on vinyl for Christmas.
7. My three kids know every word to My Sweet Annette and sing the prettiest version you ever heard.
8. I nearly cried the first time I heard the ACL version of 18 Wheels of Love. Don't tell anyone.
9. I have turned many friends on to DBT over the years and get real satisfaction out of that for some reason.
I0. I married the best looking woman in buttholeville! (Ptown VA)

Guess I got it pretty bad. Looking forward to meeting Y'all.
So after reading this intro it is clear to me that I need to go sit in the corner quietly for the next decade or so with my mouth shut and eyes and ears open. So don't mind me. I am the happy idiot over there smiling and bobbing my head to the music.
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Danger Bird wrote:Hey - I am a long time fan that has always been reluctant to chime in. Just didn't feel worthy, I guess. I recently reflected on my decade long fascination with DBT and submit the following highlights and lowlights as an informal introduction:
1. I have seen DBT in multiple states and venues. Favorite place to see them is at the National in Richmond.
3. Favorite show ever was at the Handlebar in Greenville right before Isbell departed. Dexateens opened.
4. Was so fired up after the show that I drove 2 hours in the wrong direction before realizing what I had done.
7. My three kids know every word to My Sweet Annette and sing the prettiest version you ever heard.
8. I nearly cried the first time I heard the ACL version of 18 Wheels of Love. Don't tell anyone.
9. I have turned many friends on to DBT over the years and get real satisfaction out of that for some reason.

I love every single word of this. When I read your 10 points I get the distinct impression that DBT have changed your life for the better. Welcome to the club. That's the only "worthiness" I would ever ascribe to this HeAthens community, or to put it another way do they bring you joy? You've answered that question. I first saw DBT nearly 13 years ago and have been a contributing member of the community here, on our predecessor site 9B and on the various FB groups going on 11 years. I've met some of my favorite people in the world including my wife. I hope you contribute as much or as little as you want here and make yourself known at Homecoming, the 3DD gathering at Transmetropolitan and the Nuci's auction are great places for that. Welcome and I'm very glad you've decided to add your voice to the choir.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

welcome aboard! However, it's pretty obvious that this Danger Bird doesn't fly alone :lol:

one of my favorite live music moments in my career was seeing Neil and the Horse destroy Danger Bird at Cal Expo on 9/16/96, hands down one of the greatest shows I've seen
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

beantownbubba wrote:

Sounds like you need to bring the mrs. to homecoming :)

I'm betting that adrenaline was not the only substance involved in #4.

If "worthiness" were a criteria for admission, this would be a very lonely, quiet place. Feel free to jump right in. Welcome.

Looking back on that evening I think it is safe to say that adrenaline was not the only substance involved, but what a night! That was the show that really got it started for me.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I love every single word of this. When I read your 10 points I get the distinct impression that DBT have changed your life for the better. Welcome to the club. That's the only "worthiness" I would ever ascribe to this HeAthens community, or to put it another way do they bring you joy? You've answered that question. I first saw DBT nearly 13 years ago and have been a contributing member of the community here, on our predecessor site 9B and on the various FB groups going on 11 years. I've met some of my favorite people in the world including my wife. I hope you contribute as much or as little as you want here and make yourself known at Homecoming, the 3DD gathering at Transmetropolitan and the Nuci's auction are great places for that. Welcome and I'm very glad you've decided to add your voice to the choir.
Thank you for the kind welcome. You are certainly right about DBT changing my life for the better. Funny how their music has the power to do that.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

welcome aboard! However, it's pretty obvious that this Danger Bird doesn't fly alone :lol:

one of my favorite live music moments in my career was seeing Neil and the Horse destroy Danger Bird at Cal Expo on 9/16/96, hands down one of the greatest shows I've seen
This Danger Bird doesn't fly alone often anymore, but when I do it usually makes for a interesting evening!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Welcome, D Bird! What is P-town, VA. I lived in Va for over 35 years!

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Beaverdam wrote:

Beaverdam: PTown is Portsmouth which is in Hampton Roads.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Danger Bird wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:

Beaverdam: PTown is Portsmouth which is in Hampton Roads.
I had wondered if p-town was Poquoson. I had a college roommate from Poquoson. I grew up in Hanover County in Beaverdam (hence the 3dd moniker), but I've lived all over the state till last year.

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Welcome, D Bird! What is P-town, VA. I lived in Va for over 35 years![/quote]

Beaverdam: PTown is Portsmouth which is in Hampton Roads.[/quote]

I had wondered if p-town was Poquoson. I had a college roommate from Poquoson. I grew up in Hanover County in Beaverdam (hence the 3dd moniker), but I've lived all over the state till last year.[/quote]

Not too far from Poquoson distance wise but a million miles apart in every other way. Anyway, Happy New Year to a fellow Virginian. Hope you have a great 2017!

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

[quote="Danger Bird"] I0. I married the best looking woman in buttholeville! (Ptown VA)

Sorry bub. I got the best looking woman from Ptown, VA. 20 years down, about 40 to go.

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

New guy here. I found DBT about 8-9 years ago from Warren Zevon's website. Somebody on the message board there posted a DBT version of Play It All Night Long. I investigated and they became my favorite band for about a year (I have a tendency to find somebody new to me and immerse myself in them 100% until I find the next artist). I bought all the albums and downloaded a bunch of shows from Archive.org.

I have never seen them live. My life circumstances have made concerts a rare treat the last 7-8 years. I managed to drag my wife to see Jason Isbell last month in Lafayette, LA. In looking to see if I could find a recording of the show I stumbled into this place. It's kind of rekindled my obsession (although I am not thrilled with the band's recent political turn).

I had a Wilco obsession a few years back and I hang out on their message board occasionally. I see a couple of the folks from there are here too!

Looks like friendly people here. I am glad to be on board.

Favorite DBT Album: Decoration Day

Favorite songs:
Gravity's Gone
Let There Be Rock
Zip City
Primer Coat
Outfit
Used to be a Cop
Birthday Boy
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Dead, Drunk and Naked

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Welcome worrierking. You have indeed landed in the right place if you're prone to musical obsessions :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

chickenwingpuke wrote:
Danger Bird wrote: I0. I married the best looking woman in buttholeville! (Ptown VA)

Sorry bub. I got the best looking woman from Ptown, VA. 20 years down, about 40 to go.
Just seeing this ChickenWingPuke. (Love the name by the way) Congrats on 20 years! Seems like a rarity these days.

My gal is technically from Bennett's Creek so I concede.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Embarrasingly, it took a second try for me to fall in love. I'd had a first go-round with "A Blessing and a Curse", and while I liked it, it didn't...quite connect with me the way other bands I've fallen hard for have.

And I don't recall what led me back. I think it was that the first verse of "Gravity's Gone" kept ringing around my head for years, years, and I just decided that it was time to look it up again. This was also around the time that "It's Great to Be Alive!" was scheduled to come out, and what better way to re-acquaint onself with a band than with a career-spanner in their "natural environment".

Well, THIS time it took, with a vengeance.

As for a lot of people, 2016 was a terrible year for me, in so many ways. Physical challenges (the first broken bones of my life; age-wise I'm right in between Patterson and Cooley; other injuries too boring to relate); my Dad getting diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer (he's actually doing really well now); my long-time job reaching the critical stage in the realm of mis-treatment and lack of respect; leaving that job, with all the pain that forces you to reckon with, and less than 36 hours after my last day, a young man who called me his "New York Dad" died in an accidental fall from his roof in Harlem, leaving devastation among his family and friends. The fact that my wife and I just got closer, bemoaning our lack of time together because damn, we really LIKED each other, was basically all the leavening the year had. And man, if it didn't...I don't know where I'd be.

But of course there was also DBT. I've found in times of crisis in my life, going back to being a pimple-faced teenager (being a teenager is a crisis in itself), the art I needed found me as much as I found it.

And last year, a humane, rockin', dark, melodic, funny as hell, intelligent, literate, perceptive band was my constant soundtrack. I don't think it's possible to "wear out" tunes on an iPod, a PC or even a CD, but if it were possible, you'd be able to see the wear on all of IGTBA. It joined my pantheon of "Live Records that take you out of yourself, regardless of what shit you're stewing in", with The Frames "Set List", Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Real to Reel" and Van Morrison's "It's Too Late to Stop Now". Roger Ebert once wrote that "good art is never depressing; bad art always is", and he meant regardless of subject matter. You all know much better than me the darkness in DBT's music, but also know as well how you don't leave brought down by that darkness, but feeling as if it was shared, and that I was not alone.

With "American Band", the deal was done with me. I listen to all the records now, more or less on rotation, and each time hear more and more that convinces me that I've found "my" band. (Right now, I'm finding just how GREAT Cooley and Patterson are as vocalists. As a singer myself, their phrasing alone is a story to re-visit again and again). Not in the sense that they belonged to me, but that their music had captured me. I don't think I've ever fallen harder. Maybe for my wife.

Looking forward to the shows...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Welcome glennrwordman! DBT basically shined the final light I needed to climb out of some really dark years and certainly have been there for a lift ever since, so I can relate. Glad to have you with us. So when's your first show?

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

February 11, Webster Hall. I am trying to get out to the Westbury show on the 10th, but I'd have to leave a work-related conference in D.C. early...tempting, tempting...but potentially destructive to my occupational circumstances!
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

whatwouldcooleydo?

glennrwordman wrote:Embarrasingly, it took a second try for me to fall in love. I'd had a first go-round with "A Blessing and a Curse", and while I liked it, it didn't...quite connect with me the way other bands I've fallen hard for have.

And I don't recall what led me back. I think it was that the first verse of "Gravity's Gone" kept ringing around my head for years, years, and I just decided that it was time to look it up again. This was also around the time that "It's Great to Be Alive!" was scheduled to come out, and what better way to re-acquaint onself with a band than with a career-spanner in their "natural environment".

Well, THIS time it took, with a vengeance.

As for a lot of people, 2016 was a terrible year for me, in so many ways. Physical challenges (the first broken bones of my life; age-wise I'm right in between Patterson and Cooley; other injuries too boring to relate); my Dad getting diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer (he's actually doing really well now); my long-time job reaching the critical stage in the realm of mis-treatment and lack of respect; leaving that job, with all the pain that forces you to reckon with, and less than 36 hours after my last day, a young man who called me his "New York Dad" died in an accidental fall from his roof in Harlem, leaving devastation among his family and friends. The fact that my wife and I just got closer, bemoaning our lack of time together because damn, we really LIKED each other, was basically all the leavening the year had. And man, if it didn't...I don't know where I'd be.

But of course there was also DBT. I've found in times of crisis in my life, going back to being a pimple-faced teenager (being a teenager is a crisis in itself), the art I needed found me as much as I found it.

And last year, a humane, rockin', dark, melodic, funny as hell, intelligent, literate, perceptive band was my constant soundtrack. I don't think it's possible to "wear out" tunes on an iPod, a PC or even a CD, but if it were possible, you'd be able to see the wear on all of IGTBA. It joined my pantheon of "Live Records that take you out of yourself, regardless of what shit you're stewing in", with The Frames "Set List", Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Real to Reel" and Van Morrison's "It's Too Late to Stop Now". Roger Ebert once wrote that "good art is never depressing; bad art always is", and he meant regardless of subject matter. You all know much better than me the darkness in DBT's music, but also know as well how you don't leave brought down by that darkness, but feeling as if it was shared, and that I was not alone.

With "American Band", the deal was done with me. I listen to all the records now, more or less on rotation, and each time hear more and more that convinces me that I've found "my" band. (Right now, I'm finding just how GREAT Cooley and Patterson are as vocalists. As a singer myself, their phrasing alone is a story to re-visit again and again). Not in the sense that they belonged to me, but that their music had captured me. I don't think I've ever fallen harder. Maybe for my wife.

Looking forward to the shows...
you had me by using "leavening" :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome aboard!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

glennrwordman wrote:February 11, Webster Hall. I am trying to get out to the Westbury show on the 10th, but I'd have to leave a work-related conference in D.C. early...tempting, tempting...but potentially destructive to my occupational circumstances!
There should be a pretty big 3DD contingent at that show, you should introduce yourself. Cooleygirl and uncle rickey for sure.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I will look for the name tags! Can't wait.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

you had me by using "leavening" :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome aboard!
Excellent...as Patterson and Cooley show ALL THE TIME, the hardest thing to do is not to over-do it!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

glennrwordman wrote:I will look for the name tags! Can't wait.
You won't need the tags :lol: they'll be on the rail in the middle.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:February 11, Webster Hall. I am trying to get out to the Westbury show on the 10th, but I'd have to leave a work-related conference in D.C. early...tempting, tempting...but potentially destructive to my occupational circumstances!
There should be a pretty big 3DD contingent at that show, you should introduce yourself. Cooleygirl and uncle rickey for sure.
At least 15
Always go to the show

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:You won't need the tags :lol: they'll be on the rail in the middle.
That's what I figured!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

For your welcome gift, how about a ticket to the westbury show? I can't use it and I know you can't commit to it, but "might be used" is better than definitely not used so just pm me and we'll figure out the transfer. And see you at Webster Hall. I'll be the guy not on the rail surrounded by several inappropriately young and beautiful women (all of whom I'm related to. Really.)

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I'm hanging with Bubba. I've seen those ladies
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote: I'll be the guy not on the rail surrounded by several inappropriately young and beautiful women (all of whom I'm related to. Really.)
Related to the inappropriately young and beautiful women?

Where's the fun in that?

I'll leave the Alabama/Mississippi jokes to someone else ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote: I'll be the guy not on the rail surrounded by several inappropriately young and beautiful women (all of whom I'm related to. Really.)
Related to the inappropriately young and beautiful women?

Where's the fun in that?

Until I saw the end of your post I was gonna say this is a southern rock band, isn't it?

I'll leave the Alabama/Mississippi jokes to someone else ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Until I saw the end of your post I was gonna say this is a southern rock band, isn't it?
You know me better than that....... not a chance I'd let that opportunity slip by

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:For your welcome gift, how about a ticket to the westbury show? I can't use it and I know you can't commit to it, but "might be used" is better than definitely not used so just pm me and we'll figure out the transfer. And see you at Webster Hall. I'll be the guy not on the rail surrounded by several inappropriately young and beautiful women (all of whom I'm related to. Really.)
Wow. Let me see what I can shift around--it's boulders not pebbles--and let you know by week's end. Amazingly generous. Thank you, regardless. And yes--see you at Webster. I look forward to it.