Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Newbies--Introduce yourselves

Post by beantownbubba »

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:and then got the live album. I thought this is fuckin’ great stuff. Great stories, great music, sometimes quiet, sometimes loud. But great vivacious, visceral music by a band who plays loose, yet tight, and what great songs.
Welcome. Looks like you'll fit in well. And once you've seen 'em live it won't be long until you're making plans to be at homecoming 2018 :) Love to see that european audience growing.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:New meat!
Yeah, he had me at "musical passion juices"
Well you know what Lemmy said when he was asked what was better, sex or music... he said well music of course... "how long does sex last, half an hour?, well a great rock 'n roll show lasts two and a half hours, no contest!" 8-)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Bon Scott's AC/DC was the best!
Don,t get me wrong we love Brian but
Bon Scott sang Let There Be Rock,
the DBT song that finally won Mrs Swamp over,
Because they were singing about
Bon Scott singing LET THERE BE ROCK !
Welcome from the Swamps of northern florida.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:

You had me at Rory Gallagher. Welcome BSAC/DC!

Bon Scott's AC/DC

ramonz wrote:
Clams wrote:

You had me at Rory Gallagher. Welcome BSAC/DC!
Pat James is a big Rory Gallagher fan... he plays one or two Rory song on his (weekly) show every week. Here is the link to the listen back facility for his show... its a pretty good radio show.

http://www.nova.ie/listen-back/sunday/

Bon Scott's AC/DC

beantownbubba wrote:
Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:and then got the live album. I thought this is fuckin’ great stuff. Great stories, great music, sometimes quiet, sometimes loud. But great vivacious, visceral music by a band who plays loose, yet tight, and what great songs.
Welcome. Looks like you'll fit in well. And once you've seen 'em live it won't be long until you're making plans to be at homecoming 2018 :) Love to see that european audience growing.
Thanks! Yeah, I'd like to think The Homecoming would be on my future plans :P

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Swamp wrote:Bon Scott's AC/DC was the best!
Don,t get me wrong we love Brian but
Bon Scott sang Let There Be Rock,
the DBT song that finally won Mrs Swamp over,
Because they were singing about
Bon Scott singing LET THERE BE ROCK !
Welcome from the Swamps of northern florida.
Thanks Swamp. Yes 1970s AC/DC were a phenomenal band, Angus, Bon and the whole band - amazing live. The BBC filmed great two concert recordings of them, which I saw on TV when I was young - Angus rolling around the ground, playing guitar, with his schoolboy satchel on his back - Angus up on top of Bon's shoulders. You could just feel through the TV screen that his was great, viceral rock n' roll band. Also, Bon in addition to having great stage presence and charisma, was such an amazing rock n' roll lyricist. His lyrics on the Powerage album are fantastic - he lived it like he wrote it, for me he was one of Rock n' Roll's greatest early losses.

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Hey all. *waves* I’ve been a DBT fan for about a month now and just bought tickets for Homecoming to celebrate. A friend introduced me to them (after I recommended Jason Molina to him) and, like many of you, I fell hard and fast. Wish I’d known about these guys a decade ago but I’m doing my best to make up for lost time.

I’m a Michigan native who moved to the Asheville, NC area a few years ago (I’m kicking myself for not making it to their shows here last month). I listened to American Band just after the election and it was the perfect backdrop for contemplating politics, class, race, and my own move south. I’ve since devoured the entire catalog. I love that they’re equally enamored as I am with exploring place and identity and how place shapes identity, all told through well-articulated, badass rock and roll. I’m partial to Cooley’s songwriting – I find myself turning his words over in my head, puzzling them out and enjoying the cadence.

So what’s your best advice for a newbie at Homecoming? I’m racing back and forth through all the albums, looking at old set lists, listening to the live stuff, etc. I’ll be bringing a wad of cash for merch. How likely is it that I will cry at some point during the show? What's the appropriate number of whiskey cokes to consume during the course of the evening?
A girl as plain as a primer coat

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Welcome, Blueridge. There is an outdoor thread in the "Everything Else" section. Hope to see you post some about your hiking there.

Best advice for a newbie at Homecoming is to pace yourself. It's a pretty tiring weekend (walking everywhere, standing on a concrete floor for several hours three nights in a row), so getting plastered the first night and staying out all night will make for a very rough day 2.

The mixer at the Transmetropolitan on Friday will be a good place to meet folks. The Nuci's auction on Saturday is fun too.
Let the outside air in

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

schlanky wrote:Welcome, Blueridge. There is an outdoor thread in the "Everything Else" section. Hope to see you post some about your hiking there.

Best advice for a newbie at Homecoming is to pace yourself. It's a pretty tiring weekend (walking everywhere, standing on a concrete floor for several hours three nights in a row), so getting plastered the first night and staying out all night will make for a very rough day 2.

The mixer at the Transmetropolitan on Friday will be a good place to meet folks. The Nuci's auction on Saturday is fun too.
Thanks schanky. Sadly I'll only be at the show Friday night (Saturday was sold out) but I'm planning on a multi-night trip next year. And the year after. Thanks for the tips on the mixer and the auction! I'll be making a donation to Nuci's if I can't make it to the auction. I'll wander over and explore the outdoor thread soon!

Coney

Post by Coney »

Welcome blueridgehiker! I am brand new too and fell hard about 14 months ago, actually. I signed on here after trying to get about every single person in my life to appreciate DBT, only to be mildly tolerated. So this forum is an absolute joy.

I have two kids--8 and 13--and so my husband and I decided homecoming wasn't in the cards anytime soon. But after seeing my first DBT show in October and then PH a few weeks ago, I am looking to 2018 as the year my kids get to go on a different sort of vacation. What an amazing way for you to first experience the band live! "Face melting" has been used to describe the concert experience, but for me "full body explosion" was a bit more descriptive for my first show. Either way, I can't wait for more!
Beeesides, them's highway miles...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

blueridgehiker wrote:I’m a Michigan native who moved to the Asheville, NC area a few years ago
born and raised in Asheville, though I now live in CA. All my family are still there, parents live in Arden (Avery's Creek) and sister and brother both live in Kenilworth. Proud TC Roberson grad, class of 84

Welcome aboard!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

blueridgehiker wrote: Sadly I'll only be at the show Friday night (Saturday was sold out)
Saturday ticket here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8047&start=240
Always go to the show

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Coney wrote:Welcome blueridgehiker! I am brand new too and fell hard about 14 months ago, actually. I signed on here after trying to get about every single person in my life to appreciate DBT, only to be mildly tolerated. So this forum is an absolute joy.

I have two kids--8 and 13--and so my husband and I decided homecoming wasn't in the cards anytime soon. But after seeing my first DBT show in October and then PH a few weeks ago, I am looking to 2018 as the year my kids get to go on a different sort of vacation. What an amazing way for you to first experience the band live! "Face melting" has been used to describe the concert experience, but for me "full body explosion" was a bit more descriptive for my first show. Either way, I can't wait for more!

Haha, I'm trying for the highly calculated, pointedly strategic, but seemingly casual tactic for converting everyone I know into fans. And lucky for your kids to start so early - love the multigenerational truckers families. I can't wait to be obliterated by the show!!

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote:I’m a Michigan native who moved to the Asheville, NC area a few years ago
born and raised in Asheville, though I now live in CA. All my family are still there, parents live in Arden (Avery's Creek) and sister and brother both live in Kenilworth. Proud TC Roberson grad, class of 84

Welcome aboard!

Very nice! Do you visit much? Everything I've heard is that Asheville is wildly different than it was even 5 years ago (aka wildly gentrified).

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Jonicont wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote: Sadly I'll only be at the show Friday night (Saturday was sold out)
Saturday ticket here

YES!! I've got 9 hours in the car right now to convince my husband a second night is a necessity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

When it comes to DBT we're not exactly a jaded group here, which makes sense: Why would you participate in a fan board if you weren't an enthusiastic fan (the occasional troll and Isbell mourner aside)? But there is something special about that first rush of discovery and I am jealous to an extent of everyone who is first discovering the records, seeing their first rock show, going to their first homecoming, etc. And I especially remember the feeling of having fallen hard for the band and having been mostly unsuccessful in transmitting my enthusiasm to others (my kids blessedly excepted), blundering into what was then 9B, and realizing that YES! I'm not alone in the world and there are people who get it!! :) I can remember some early posts of mine to the effect of, "so Decoration Day really is as good as i think it is, right?" :lol:

So big grins for all you newbies still experiencing the exhilaration of discovering the band and this place.

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

beantownbubba wrote:So big grins for all you newbies still experiencing the exhilaration of discovering the band and this place.
It is akin to the intoxication of new love, isn't it? Although, on the flip side, you've been able to savor each album as it comes out, whereas I'm in the middle of a frenzied binge, leaving songs unappreciated, and knowing a walk of shame will be coming soon to go back and learn the lyrics correctly.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

blueridgehiker wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
Saturday ticket here

YES!! I've got 9 hours in the car right now to convince my husband a second night is a necessity.
Going to a Rock Show for a single night is great, but getting two nights in a row is sublime. At Homecoming, since there are three nights stacked together, you often hear stuff they don't play a lot. DBT doesn't use a setlist and they play what they want on the fly, so you definitely wouldn't be seeing the same show both nights.

If you're making the trip to Athens, you may as well get a couple of shows out of it if husband is cool with it. If your husband isn't cool with it this time around, you'll have a great experience and can maybe push for more nights next year.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blueridgehiker wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So big grins for all you newbies still experiencing the exhilaration of discovering the band and this place.
It is akin to the intoxication of new love, isn't it? Although, on the flip side, you've been able to savor each album as it comes out, whereas I'm in the middle of a frenzied binge, leaving songs unappreciated, and knowing a walk of shame will be coming soon to go back and learn the lyrics correctly.
If one were of a mind to, one could stretch the "new love" analogy to cover that later period, in which case it's not a walk of shame but a chance to savor quality more slowly. Missing that spot the first time is ok as long as you get there ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

blueridgehiker wrote:

Welcome aboard!

Very nice! Do you visit much? Everything I've heard is that Asheville is wildly different than it was even 5 years ago (aka wildly gentrified).
I don't come home as much as my family would like. Asheville as it is now--AKA COTFU (center of the fuckin' universe)--is not the Asheville I grew up in. When I was still living there it wasn't a music mecca and it was long before all the great beer moved in, so I don't recognize the current Asheville. I still have a lot of dear friends and an ex there, as well as family, so they all keep me up with what the town has become.

Flea

Post by Flea »

blueridgehiker wrote:
So what’s your best advice for a newbie at Homecoming?
Don't get involved with The Pickle, he's a bad influence.
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:Don't get involved with The Pickle, he's a bad influence.
Is Pickle even going to Homecoming? He hardly ever posts anymore.
Let the outside air in

Flea

Post by Flea »

Pickle will be there.
Now it's dark.

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Flea wrote:Pickle will be there.
Sounds ominous.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote:
he's gone sour

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
blueridgehiker wrote:
he's gone sour
Maybe it was this guy's fault :lol:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

blueridgehiker wrote:So what’s your best advice for a newbie at Homecoming? I’m racing back and forth through all the albums, looking at old set lists, listening to the live stuff, etc. I’ll be bringing a wad of cash for merch. How likely is it that I will cry at some point during the show? What's the appropriate number of whiskey cokes to consume during the course of the evening?
1) comfortable shoes
2) pace yourself
3) if you want to be on the rail eat a big lunch and prepare to get in line by 4:30
4) naps are good
5) two words: Mama's Boy
6) tequila, but whiskey works if you roll that way
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Hey - I am a long time fan that has always been reluctant to chime in. Just didn't feel worthy, I guess. I recently reflected on my decade long fascination with DBT and submit the following highlights and lowlights as an informal introduction:
1. I have seen DBT in multiple states and venues. Favorite place to see them is at the National in Richmond.
2. My boss thinks it is weird that I go to "homecoming" in February.
3. Favorite show ever was at the Handlebar in Greenville right before Isbell departed. Dexateens opened.
4. Was so fired up after the show that I drove 2 hours in the wrong direction before realizing what I had done.
5. We all talk about Cooley like he was a part of the family.
6. My mother-in-law once bought me "Pizza Deliverance" on vinyl for Christmas.
7. My three kids know every word to My Sweet Annette and sing the prettiest version you ever heard.
8. I nearly cried the first time I heard the ACL version of 18 Wheels of Love. Don't tell anyone.
9. I have turned many friends on to DBT over the years and get real satisfaction out of that for some reason.
I0. I married the best looking woman in buttholeville! (Ptown VA)

Guess I got it pretty bad. Looking forward to meeting Y'all.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Danger Bird wrote:Hey - I am a long time fan that has always been reluctant to chime in. Just didn't feel worthy, I guess. I recently reflected on my decade long fascination with DBT and submit the following highlights and lowlights as an informal introduction:
1. I have seen DBT in multiple states and venues. Favorite place to see them is at the National in Richmond.
2. My boss thinks it is weird that I go to "homecoming" in February.
3. Favorite show ever was at the Handlebar in Greenville right before Isbell departed. Dexateens opened.
4. Was so fired up after the show that I drove 2 hours in the wrong direction before realizing what I had done.
5. We all talk about Cooley like he was a part of the family.
6. My mother-in-law once bought me "Pizza Deliverance" on vinyl for Christmas.
7. My three kids know every word to My Sweet Annette and sing the prettiest version you ever heard.
8. I nearly cried the first time I heard the ACL version of 18 Wheels of Love. Don't tell anyone.
9. I have turned many friends on to DBT over the years and get real satisfaction out of that for some reason.
I0. I married the best looking woman in buttholeville! (Ptown VA)

Guess I got it pretty bad. Looking forward to meeting Y'all.
Sounds like you need to bring the mrs. to homecoming :)

I'm betting that adrenaline was not the only substance involved in #4.

If "worthiness" were a criteria for admission, this would be a very lonely, quiet place. Feel free to jump right in. Welcome.