The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Zip City »

Cruz was the scariest of all the nominees. Good riddance
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Wolf wrote:your nightmare is only beginning when that scumbag trump is elected
Fixed that for you, in two places. As Doctgor Archie Goodwin says, "Stay out of them places!"
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There is virtually zero existing math that puts Trump in the White House. I'm not overconfident, and I'm not a big fan of Clinton, but the electoral map speaks for itself. Here's an interactive map:

http://www.270towin.com/

If you call the battleground states WI, MI, OH, FL, PN, VA, NC, NV, AZ, CO & NH. Even if you look at a worst case scenario for the Democrats where Trump takes FL, OH, WI & MI and Clinton takes the rest you've got a Clinton victory 278-253, and here's the thing; Trump's not taking those 4 states. Even if he takes 3/4 and a couple of the smaller ones he loses. Even if you think that picking the right running mate would matter, say he takes Kasich to help with OH, PN and VA he's going to be sacrificing some of his faithful in those states for going establishment. I started by saying that there is no existing math that puts Trump in the Presidency. Now there could be something wacky and unforseen that happens that changes that but even that's hard to figure. To even make it close, say within 10-15 Electoral votes, Trump would have to turn a solid blue state like Illinois red. That's not happening.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There is virtually zero existing math that puts Trump in the White House. I'm not overconfident, and I'm not a big fan of Clinton, but the electoral map speaks for itself. Here's an interactive map:

http://www.270towin.com/

If you call the battleground states WI, MI, OH, FL, PN, VA, NC, NV, AZ, CO & NH. Even if you look at a worst case scenario for the Democrats where Trump takes FL, OH, WI & MI and Clinton takes the rest you've got a Clinton victory 278-253, and here's the thing; Trump's not taking those 4 states. Even if he takes 3/4 and a couple of the smaller ones he loses. Even if you think that picking the right running mate would matter, say he takes Kasich to help with OH, PN and VA he's going to be sacrificing some of his faithful in those states for going establishment. I started by saying that there is no existing math that puts Trump in the Presidency. Now there could be something wacky and unforseen that happens that changes that but even that's hard to figure. To even make it close, say within 10-15 Electoral votes, Trump would have to turn a solid blue state like Illinois red. That's not happening.
Like he wasn't going to win the Republican nomination. Lots of good reasons that wouldn't happen. All given by people who haven't grasped yet that we're in a new era of American politics dominated by people out to break the system. All Trump has to do to beat Clinton is to disgust enough people with her pigdick of a husband that they don't show up to vote. Easily done.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Like he wasn't going to win the Republican nomination. Lots of good reasons that wouldn't happen. All given by people who haven't grasped yet that we're in a new era of American politics dominated by people out to break the system. All Trump has to do to beat Clinton is to disgust enough people with her pigdick of a husband that they don't show up to vote. Easily done.
There's a huge difference between winning 30% of the GOP vote and winning over blue states. Hilary's unfavorables at 38.4% are an issue in some battleground states but you bring up Bill Clinton who has a 60% favorability in polls taken just this week. He's going help her campaign not hurt it. In contrast Trump has an aggregate 28.2 favorability. Sure something crazy could happen but there isn't any math that indicates it and the RNCC is in full out panic right now as to what Trump is going to do to down-ticket races. Trump winning the nomination was a perfect storm that included a weak GOP field and too many candidates sticking around too long.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I feel honest conflict between being party to a more of the same vote for Clinton or an anarchistic vote for Trump.

Burn It All Down.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beebs wrote:I feel honest conflict between being party to a more of the same vote for Clinton or an anarchistic vote for Trump.

Burn It All Down.
I can't go that way. This is a battle for the SCOTUS and that, pun moderately intended, trumps everything else.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beebs wrote:I feel honest conflict between being party to a more of the same vote for Clinton or an anarchistic vote for Trump.

Burn It All Down.
I can't go that way. This is a battle for the SCOTUS and that, pun moderately intended, trumps everything else.
I dont fucking care anymore. Burn it.
Beebs is not a ragey man

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Like he wasn't going to win the Republican nomination. Lots of good reasons that wouldn't happen. All given by people who haven't grasped yet that we're in a new era of American politics dominated by people out to break the system. All Trump has to do to beat Clinton is to disgust enough people with her pigdick of a husband that they don't show up to vote. Easily done.
There's a huge difference between winning 30% of the GOP vote and winning over blue states. Hilary's unfavorables at 38.4% are an issue in some battleground states but you bring up Bill Clinton who has a 60% favorability in polls taken just this week. He's going help her campaign not hurt it. In contrast Trump has an aggregate 28.2 favorability. Sure something crazy could happen but there isn't any math that indicates it and the RNCC is in full out panic right now as to what Trump is going to do to down-ticket races. Trump winning the nomination was a perfect storm that included a weak GOP field and too many candidates sticking around too long.
I've got some winnings from betting against a Bush/Clinton race in the general election which I'm willing to invest in betting on a Trump presidency. With luck and reasonable odds, I might make enough money re-investing it to be out of the country between Trump's election and his inauguration. And for once, I wouldn't mind losing the damn bet. But I'm three for three betting against optimists this week so far, so my pessimism is making me more cheerful than I have any right to be.
Beebs wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Burn It All Down.
Josh Marshall talks about Trump victory calling the note on the Republican Party's "slow build up of hate and nonsense debt". He's right about that, and about how the Republican Party was blindsided by what other people saw coming. What you see right above this remark is the Democratic Party being blindsided by its own "contempt for working people" debt. They've been holding out the Supreme Court as a sort of perverse carrot stick--it's a floor wax and a dessert topping!--with which decent yet minority views can be ratified without troubling with the democratic process. That's the way the FRFs who dominate Democratic Party decision-making like it. If they actually built a mass party able to protect the interests of working people, why, then working people might make and enforce political decisions which were in their own interests, the sort that shaves a Mercedes and a prostitute off the average corporado's weekly budget. So instead every hope is placed on the very weak reed of the Supreme Court. One thing the Supreme Court has never, ever been particularly interested in is working people's rights. Now popular belief in that civic god is dying. When belief in a god dies, the god dies with it. That is never pretty.

I translated the first line of Julio Cortazar's "Los Dioses", "Los dioses ha van entre las cosas pisoteadas" thus: "The gods are gone among the ruined things." Maybe this is my chance to get my Spanish back in shape. But I'd really rather live in Brazil. Choices, choices.

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

I just want to take this opportunity to say, with regard to this election year, We. Are. Fucked.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Burn It All Down.
I'm with Beebs. Right now, I'm leaning toward Jill Stein in the general election. (not that it really matters in my case anyway because I don't live in a swing state)
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There is virtually zero existing math that puts Trump in the White House.
I was just reading about that this morning:

http://theweek.com/articles/622075/why- ... stal-clear
Let the outside air in

John A Arkansawyer

I figured Trump for the least of the plausible evils on the Republican side till he started encouraging violence at his rallies. Then he became the new old Wallace as far as I am concerned. I'm saying this as someone who still does not regret voting for Nader in 2000--I would vote for almost anyone to keep Trump out of the White House. Even Clinton. Or his wife.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Wolf wrote:your nightmare is only beginning if that bitch clinton is elected
hot take
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Burn It All Down.
This attitude scares me.
While I understand and kind of agree with the sentiment, the reality of it is this is not the time to stand on principle. 5 out of 7 SCOTUS seats are likely to become open in the next two terms; those appointments will have ramifications for the next few decades. Jill Stein, or Bernie Sanders, your write-up candidate or whoever else that's not a Clinton or Trump won't be the one appointing anyone.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

schlanky wrote:

Burn It All Down.
I'm with Beebs. Right now, I'm leaning toward Jill Stein in the general election. (not that it really matters in my case anyway because I don't live in a swing state)
I feel your pain. This is Trump country.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There is virtually zero existing math that puts Trump in the White House.
There was also virtually zero existing math that had Trump winning one primary state, let alone become the nominee for the party. No one took him seriously, and look where we are. I don't like it any more than you may. This is the time for the Libertarian party to kick it into gear and get Gary Johnson onto the debate stage, and open up some eyes. He has polled at 11% in one poll. Only need 15% to get on the stage. If the media would stop encouraging the two party system, he might have a fair shot.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There is like 1% of me that wants Trump to be president so I can move to Europe and watch this country burn to the ground
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Burn It All Down.
If I'm a Republican, which I'm not, I'd hurry up and confirm Judge Merrick. Otherwise, they're looking at someone much younger and much more progressive on the Court.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beebs wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Burn It All Down.
I'm damn close to feeling the same way.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:There is like 1% of me that wants Trump to be president so I can move to Europe and watch this country burn to the ground
I don't believe anything that drastic will occur, although it would be YUGE step backwards for the country. I think the division between different races and religions would reach a fever pitch and the gap between economic classes would widen. I'm not sure what the ramifications would be on foreign policy but I know just enough to say it wouldn't be good for our relationships with our neighbors. I still don't know what would happen to the healthcare system and i don't believe anybody else does either, including Trump.

The scariest thing to me is what Dean was getting at with the SCOTUS seats. I think that has the most dire, long lasting consequences of any Republican winning the election.

scotto

Post by scotto »

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." --H. L. Mencken

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I had a nightmare about the upcoming election: Trump vs Hilary. About 1 month before the election, Hilary gets indicted for the email "scandal" & Trump marches into the White House. Be afraid, be very afraid.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:I had a nightmare about the upcoming election: Trump vs Hilary. About 1 month before the election, Hilary gets indicted for the email "scandal" & Trump marches into the White House. Be afraid, be very afraid.
at this point I'm not so sure it will even take indictment or some other HRC scandal for Trump to win.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Did the Mexicans pay for that wall?
Last edited by Flea on Thu May 05, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
I bet that's a legitimate tweet, is it not?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It is. You know it's real because its trump tweeting about Hispanics while eating American food on a Mexican holiday.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

John A Arkansawyer

Beebs wrote:Image
Oh, dear god. I really needed that laugh right about now!