Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drjayhow

Re: Homecoming 2016 40 Watt Club Athens, GA 2/11,12 & 13

Post by drjayhow »

First homecoming in the books for Uncke Keith and I. Met some great,welcoming folks. Really a special experience. Oh and the rawk shows weren't too shabby either!! Cya next year and hopefully sooner at some shows

Drjay

uncle keith

Post by uncle keith »

What a great week! My first homecoming was an incredible experience! It was great to see everyone and meet some new friends. I hope to run into some of you guys sooner than later at another show, if not then I'll see you next year at homecoming.

Uncle Keith

guinness

Post by guinness »

Cooley's new song Surrender Under Protest was a treat to hear on the stream Friday night. Within seconds all I could think was that it sounds like a Neil Young and Crazy Horse stomper. Any thoughts?
Paying for a house but that bitch lives in it now

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

guinness wrote:Cooley's new song Surrender Under Protest was a treat to hear on the stream Friday night. Within seconds all I could think was that it sounds like a Neil Young and Crazy Horse stomper. Any thoughts?
Couldn't make out the words real well but I loved it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

So great to be back at Homecoming after a couple of years off. The band is still on fire and the fans are truly the best in the world.

Many, many thanks to Lara and Melissa for heading up the ticket search so I can be the coolest older cousin ever, ScottyC and Ray for having extras, and the fans Cooley side last night for making the night a great experience (with the minor exception of the popcorn/metal coffee thermos incident before DBT took the stage which was pretty quickly rectified by the bonding together of surrounding DBT family against mean, rude people).

Loved seeing old friends again (Sarah, Luke and Christine) and finally seeing old friends for the first time (Jeff).

It's great to be alive! :D
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

my favorite of the new ones... the cowgirl hipster song
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Home. What a whirlwind, which is no kind of complaint. What a great time! As a wise farmer once said, "three days of fun and music and nothing but three days of fun and music." :D

But I have to say that I still can't really wrap my head around those shows or explain the experience to non-members of the Trucker cult. The consistency of the level of performance was really amazing. I'd say it's unprecedented but I don't really see a lot of bands 3 nites in a row lol. I thought i might write about particularly memorable moments, but quickly it becomes "but what about that one and the other one" and before you know it i've got a list approximately as long as the combined set lists. But if there has to be just one moment I'd probably have to go w/ "The Southern Thing." It was everything that's always been great about the band combined w/ everything that's great about the current version of the band.

I just love how happy the guys seem to be and how much they seem to enjoy playing together. Everything else flows from that. And while we can't really get to know the new songs from 1 or 2 live performances, they sound really, really good. I'm definitely ready for the new album and expect to be delighted.

I think every year gets to be more fun because of the combination of the guarantee of seeing old friends at least that 1 time a year and participating in old traditions combined w/ the new blood and new experiences that becomes part of the fabric every year. I'm pretty sure that the Uruguayan bakery is poised to become a new tradition; I only hope it's still around next year - awful location, great food. Gold medal to Jonicont for the find.

Nobody liked my Knicks analogy, huh? Or is it just that nobody knows who the heck those guys are?

And I will always remember and appreciate the care and consideration w/ which I was treated by so many including some I barely know and a bunch i know quite well. Walking the fine emotional line I walk much of the time these days it is a great comfort to have such a warm and welcoming "safe place," kind of like that place in Boston where everybody knows your name :D Thank you.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Bubba fwiw I loved the Knicks analogy. But then I'm partial to sports analogies. I don't know when I'm goi g to learn about not attending night three. I've done it before but often it is the one I miss. Sounds like they saved the best for last judging from the setlist and the reactions here. Hate that I missed it. And of all things, I missed Smitty. Again. Didn't even know he was coming.

Man as always there are too many highlights to name and I know I'm going to leave a bunch of them off so that's my disclaimer. Right off the top of my head...

Getting checked in Thursday afternoon, just deciding to walk downtown and promptly running into Uncle Ricky, Cooleygirl, Jonicont, Wolf, and LBRod.

Had a quick conversation with Wolf there on the street. Hate we really didn't see each other much the rest of the weekend man.

Sort of falling ass backwards into meeting Jay Gonzalez. What a cool, down to earth, laid back dude.

Hanging farther back than normal on night one and standing on Jay's side. I have a whole new appr citation for that guy after being able to hear him a lot better.

Getting to hang out and talk to TC and bubba on night one.

Only got a brief chat with Ramonz in passing but it was great to see you again man.

Slipkid. 'Nuff said.

Glad I got to say hey to onebeltloop even if just for a second.

Late night trip to the Waffle House after the show with my fellas LBRod and Flea along with our two new Alaskan friends. That was a big highlight due to the company.

The hang out on Friday.

Getting to see Rolank K and dog star. Dog Star was the first 3ddner I ever met. That was great entry into this crowd. Our conversation at Flicker before the show on night two was awesome. I could have stayed in there and talked to y'all until closing time if not for the show.

Getting to hang out with GWinIa during Will Johnson and Dave Marr's sets. Really glad that happened.

Finally meeting grapico! Thanks for the beer buddy. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Getting to meet and talk to ScottyC.

Getting to talk to litdimly before the night one show and realizing we were both at a fairly sparsely attended Augusta Ga show back during the fall yet somehow missed each other. Good to catch up.

Getting to speak with Big Tom even if just briefly.

Getting to meet Southern Efficiency and having a great conversation about Athens and music. Thanks for the recs bud. Already enjoying them.

I wish this wasn't just once a year. Yall are something else.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Hard to believe no one appreciated your 69-70 Knicks reference so , Bubba. :lol:

Glad all of you guys had such a great weekend.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Bubba- I thought you were referencing the NBA All-Star weekend 3 point contest that happened last night.

Killer dunk contest this year for those of you who like basketball. Best in years!
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

lynne

Post by lynne »

Home, 60% on the way to having full blown Athens crud and happy as hell. It was another memorable weekend, and glad I finally got to add an extra day to it. Fun start to finish! The band was at the top of their game, once again. I don't know how many times we can all use that phrase but they never cease to amaze me. Just when you've seen a great show, they top it the next night. The new songs are fantastic and really happy we got treated to them this weekend.

So many memories created at shows but nothing compares to the friends and family, old and new, I get to spend time with. Its never easy to explain to anyone outside the HeAthen family what the magic is, you just have to experience it for yourself. Who wouldn't have a blast chopping sausage with Benji Saunders? Who couldn't love a group that donates food and time to raise funds for a cause as worthy as Nucis? Who wouldn't want to be around people who just hug you so tight that you can't help but feel the true love? Saturday night coat check was full and I asked Dr. John to throw my coat back in the sound booth. Done, with a smile on his face no questions asked. It all just adds up in such a positive way! We go to shows, see some of our friends and have a great time; but shows where so many of your friends are gathered in one spot and you see them for days on end is absolute perfection! And new friends, more people to look forward to seeing next year. Especially new friends who save your life from crazy speeding cars (thanks Brian!). We all stay connected through Facebook but there is nothing like being there in person. Those are all the reasons and too many more to list that keep me going back year after year. That's where the magic of the weekend lies for me!

A special thanks to my favorite resident of Athens for being such a wonderful show partner, host and friend. Athens Joe is just the best and I love hanging with him, his sister Jill and Eric!

Not much else to say right now except that I love you all and will see you soon!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Flea

Post by Flea »

Pa_Heathen stole my pickle lighter.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole, to be fair I didn't even for real know I was coming. We had planned it a couple months back but missed tickets, so I had almost written it off but we decided on a whim to go see everybody at Nuci's . I was very disappointed that you had already left. I've learned to not commit unless it's set in stone cuz shit usually comes up.

However, I do plan on hitting up the Lyric in B'ham in April.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Flea wrote:Pa_Heathen stole my pickle lighter.
I suggest you all return to the scene of the crime to make it right
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:Cole, to be fair I didn't even for real know I was coming. We had planned it a couple months back but missed tickets, so I had almost written it off but we decided on a whim to go see everybody at Nuci's . I was very disappointed that you had already left. I've learned to not commit unless it's set in stone cuz shit usually comes up.

Oh I understand man. You have, what, three small kids? I only have one and stuff comes up all the time so I get it. Maybe next time.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Good to see those of you I know and make a few new friends this weekend. When 3DDers are hanging like on Friday I'm always looking for tables with signs like "Neverending Thread for Political Shit" or "Other Bands/ New Music News (non DBT-related)" so I know where to start conversations. Just a thought for next year ;-)

It was a bit of a rounding the corner from last night to now. A friend of mine who drove down from Indy for his first homecoming left the show early last night because of the winter storm coming in so he could be well-rested and get off early, only to still end up in a multicar interstate pileup, with a now-totaled car, but only some minor injuries fortunately. In my head, Jonicont's well-known aphorism became "Always stay at the show."

Much less dramatically, I came home to find a neighbor's father had backed about 200 feet across a really large cul de sac and right into the side of my mustang, apparently at about 10MPH from the looks of it. Driver's door and rear quarterpanel replacements at least. hoping the axle is good. And hoping I don't have to consider initiating yet a driver's competency review for an aging man who might not belong behind the wheel anymore.

Little tiny stuff. This weekend I recognized true grit in the eyes of one of our own, BTB, as he took in both Grand Canyon and PWD with grace. I tried to make a couple of supportive comments, but fell far short of the mark, and was happy to see OTB lovingly hold on and sway beside him to PWD. BTB, I can't possibly imagine the pain involved in losing a child, and the challenges involved in finding your way back to living again and I wish you and your wife and family peace as I imagine there is no such thing as getting over it or past it but just continuing on anyway.

More and more thoughts running through my head about the music and the weekend, but I'll leave it there. Be well all!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:Cole, to be fair I didn't even for real know I was coming. We had planned it a couple months back but missed tickets, so I had almost written it off but we decided on a whim to go see everybody at Nuci's . I was very disappointed that you had already left. I've learned to not commit unless it's set in stone cuz shit usually comes up.

Oh I understand man. You have, what, three small kids? I only have one and stuff comes up all the time so I get it. Maybe next time.

Four! So yeah.
I crossed off a bunch on the list of folks I'm dying to meet yesterday (wow is that poorly articulated), but I'm bummed I missed out on you. I'm also down about the fact that I saw a lot of faces but didn't realize who they were. Next time.

Aside from the leftover high I got from having such a great time, I find myself semi-depressed that I didn't get to spend more time with everybody. I love my friends and family back home, but I really felt among "my" people in Athens. Like a bad ass country-rock version of that horribly shitty pop country "these are my people, this where I come from" song. It's nice to be in a place full of others on the same wavelength as me, which very rarely happens anymore.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Nope...it's sitting on my desk at the moment.

Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Sneaky bastard. It was the dig about the Steelers, yes?
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

You can mail that to me anytime. Stealing a man's motherfucking pickle lighter!
Now it's dark.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

laraelisabeth wrote: Encore:
LTBR*
Birthday Boy*
Girls Who Smoke*
3 Dimes Down*
People Who Died**

*w/ Will Johnson
** w/ Will Johnson, David Barbe, and Wyatt the monitor guy whose last name I don't know
** Wyatt Pless

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

brett27295 wrote:
Nope...it's sitting on my desk at the moment.

I am not a crook!
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Cole Younger wrote: Getting to see Rolank K and dog star. Dog Star was the first 3ddner I ever met. That was great entry into this crowd. Our conversation at Flicker before the show on night two was awesome. I could have stayed in there and talked to y'all until closing time if not for the show.
Indeed, CY. That was really nice meting and talking to you again. To be continued...

And to all the rest of you: As I am finally back home and in front a functioning keyboard I feel the urgency to say this: Without the proper guidance and advice of my British travel companion (that would be dogstar for those in doubt) for the grand finale at Saturdays show I managed to walk out of the 40 Watt after the encore without having the decency to hug everyones necks and say "thank you, goodbye and safe travels" in a civilized manner. I guess I could blame my Norwegian-ness, but I choose to blame Clams instead. I also suspect being dead tired and just emotionally exhausted after three days of what may have been my top musical (and otherwise) experience ever, may have had something to do with it. See you at the Rockshow! (or the 'rickshaw' as my auto-correct insists on).
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:You can mail that to me anytime. Stealing a man's motherfucking pickle lighter!
The lowest of the low...I did feel a slight tinge of guilt (though it was very slight) when I realized I still had it when we got home last night. I vow to keep it safe for you until we meet again!

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:
Flea wrote:You can mail that to me anytime. Stealing a man's motherfucking pickle lighter!
The lowest of the low...I did feel a slight tinge of guilt (though it was very slight) when I realized I still had it when we got home last night. I vow to keep it safe for you until we meet again!
And what was the last thing I told you reprobates when you were entrusted with the pickle lighter? "Make sure I get this back, it's one-of-a-kind".
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:
brett27295 wrote: And what was the last thing I told you reprobates when you were entrusted with the pickle lighter? "Make sure I get this back, it's one-of-a-kind".
In my defense I think you said that to Karen. Truly she's to blame. I actually saved it. Too bad you can't make it to Carrboro. The pickle lighter did make a fantastic show even better...perhaps it was worth the sacrifice?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The wood duck, richard nixon quotes and pickle lighters all making appearances in the homecoming thread. This wkend keeps getting better.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Will

Post by Will »

Life happened, as it does sometimes, and I was only able to get to the Saturday night show and none of the gatherings beforehand, but what a show. Whenever I see them play it feels like the best show I'm ever going to see, and then they always outdo it the next time. Five Eight and Will Johnson did such a great job of setting the tone for the night to. There was no one on that stage that night who wasn't having the time of their life.

A couple of cups of Trucker Speed is helping me get going this morning, too.