Hip Hop - Yes or No?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: Hip Hop - Yes or No?

Post by LBRod »

Princess Diana tribute? There can only be one-

As for the thread question, no.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

keith isnt necessarily wrong about hip hop, but he is missing the point when he frames his dismissal the way he did. which is fine, its (by design) not music for everyone. his loss

what i found more perplexing was his shot at black sabbath, considering how fundamentally similar keef and iommi were as guitarists. sabbath certainly had a different sound but they both favored simple, catchy riffs heavily rooted in the blues so its weird to me that keith couldnt find anything to like there.

back on topic (kinda) ive been playing 808s and heartbreak a lot this week. i skipped it when it came out for some reason (i think i just really disliked the lead single or was in a kanye fatigue period or something) but i finally heard it a few years ago and ended up really loving it. its certainly a moody album and the auto tune can be grating if im not in the right state of mind to hear it, but when it clicks it really does a lot for me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Of course , everyone is entitled to their own opinion but one has to wonder if he says these type of things just to stir the pot, sort of like when he called Elton John out years ago for rewriting the lyrics for "Candle In the Wind" in light of the passing of Princess Diana ("His writing is limited to songs for dead blondes"). He also slams Black Sabbath and Metallica in the interview linked to below. Recent comments he made about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band were taken out of context by nearly every media outlet that reported on the interview, conveniently leaving out his thoughts on Their Satanic Majesties Request, which he also slammed.

“Rap — so many words, so little said. What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”
- Keith Richards, New York Daily News
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Love ya Keith

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So, is Dr. Dre the most important figure in the history of hip hop? I say yes

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:So, is Dr. Dre the most important figure in the history of hip hop? I say yes
I've made that argument before. I compared to him to Cobain in terms of his role in...wait for it...a watershed moment in music history.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Didn't know it was considered hip hop at the time, but a group of us listened to The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron all the time in the early 70's. Incredible stuff. I'm always looking for the beat, whatever the genre. Probably why no singer/songwriter types really do it for me. Anyway, yes to hip hop. But does anyone have a workable definition?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:So, is Dr. Dre the most important figure in the history of hip hop? I say yes
I've made that argument before. I compared to him to Cobain in terms of his role in...wait for it...a watershed moment in music history.
Rapper/Producer/Mentor/Entrepreneur quadruple threat

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Markalanbishop wrote:Didn't know it was considered hip hop at the time, but a group of us listened to The Last Poets and Gil Scott-Heron all the time in the early 70's. Incredible stuff. I'm always looking for the beat, whatever the genre. Probably why no singer/songwriter types really do it for me. Anyway, yes to hip hop. But does anyone have a workable definition?
Gil Scott Heron was amazing. Definitely one of the first rappers.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Rapper/Producer/Mentor/Entrepreneur quadruple threat
Yep. I would say that as important a figure as he is in music history as a performer and producer, what he has done as a mentor/finder of new talent is an even bigger deal. The list of people he has "discovered" and people who owe him a career is amazing. I don't think it's crazy to wonder if there would have ever been an Eminem as we know him without Dre. Considering Eminem's talent that might seem like a silly thing to ponder on the surface. But talented or not, who else with Dre's credibility would have really given a white rapper a serious look in the mid 90s? Eminem probably would have still had some form of a career eventually. But I don't think there is any way he would have ever been what he became without Dre. The level of credibility that gave him in a black art form to have someone as respected as Dr. Dre in his corner can't be overstated in my opinion and it was that at least as much as his talent that propelled him to super stardom.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Snoop, Eminem, and Kendrick are the big three

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

l
Last edited by dbtfan4life on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

save em, their the only ones who would pay 11 dollars to see a Tyler Perry movie

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

play the solo for Workin For MCA or burn :twisted:

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dbtfan4life wrote:play the solo for Workin For MCA or burn :twisted:
If you sincerely believe that rap requires no talent, get your ass up there, make up a rhyme and operate a turntable. I can guarantee you that it's not as easy as you may think it is. Due to uninformed folks such as yourself, years ago on MTV Unplugged, they had a rap edition where all the instrumental parts that had previously been sampled from records were played live. Unfortunately, that still did little to silence the haters that think rap / hip hop doesn't require talent or that it isn't music.

LL COOL J, A TRIBE CALLED QUEST, DE LA SOUL AND OTHERS STRUT THEIR STUFF ON ‘YO! MTV RAPS UNPLUGGED’

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:save em, their the only ones who would pay 11 dollars to see a Tyler Perry movie
Wait what?

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

id rather play guitar. then just talk fast about stupid bullshit

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:id rather play guitar. then just talk fast about stupid bullshit
which has what to do with Tyler Perry?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
dbtfan4life wrote:id rather play guitar. then just talk fast about stupid bullshit
plus there's the "then/than" thing, each means something completely different. Just sayin'
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:
plus there's the "then/than" thing, each means something completely different. Just sayin'
If we start grammar policing I think we'd all end up in grammar jail

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote: If we start grammar policing I think we'd all end up in grammar jail
speeque fore yerselph

whatwouldcooleydo?

why sell yourself short, I bet you can play guitar and talk fast about stupid bullshit at the same time

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Maybe it's just part of what comes with being a music geek but I don't have a problem acknowledging the validity or relevance of a genre like Rap or Hip Hop even though I'm not a fan of it. I'm not a fan of opera, classical, punk or most pop music (in the Top 4O sense) either but that doesn't mean it has no place or isn't important. It's taken me years to develop an appreciation of jazz, soul and R & B so in that sense, anything is possible. I still haven't purchased my first jazz record but since local commercial terrestrial radio offers nothing of interest to me I've been checking out WSHA (Shaw University's radio station) that is mostly jazz. They also carry a program on Sundays called Beale Street Caravan where it isn't unusual to hear a broad spectrum of music (including The Reigning Sound due to their Memphis ties). The Truckers talking up Muscle Shoals and a friend that hosts a country-soul radio show have helped to open my ears to soul and R & B in recent years. I was never opposed to it, I was just too caught up in other genres to ever give it much of a chance.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

dbtfan4life wrote:save em, their the only ones who would pay 11 dollars to see a Tyler Perry movie
I don't understand what this means.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Come on man. I get it if rap ain't your thing but this post is as bad as people who describe country music as, "a bunch of stupid rednecks whining about their wife leaving them, their truck breaking down, and their dog dying." Lazy thinking.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

yea yall are right and im wrong. the future sure looks bright!!!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

what the hell is your problem?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The Subversive Science Fiction of Hip-Hop

I'm still fully digesting this. It's been hard to get past the nearly hypnotic gif at the top. And then I keep watching this. It's one of the greatest music videos ever:

I'm pretty taken with Janelle Monae. She's what I'd hoped for in the future, and, as Nina Hagen says, "Future is Now!"
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?