the Springsteen thread

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: the Springsteen thread

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:So, I know this insane woman from another board who insists that Bruce is a child molester because of the line Hey little girl, is your daddy home?

Discuss.

This is why I call 3DD home on the 'net. Other boards scare me. :lol: :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I know that Bruce didn't intend it that way, but it does add to the creepiness to that song. That's one of my favorite Bruce songs ( :shock: ) - love songs about lust & possible violence (does that only add to the creepiness of this post? ;) )
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Smitty wrote:I know that Bruce didn't intend it that way, but it does add to the creepiness to that song. That's one of my favorite Bruce songs ( :shock: ) - love songs about lust & possible violence (does that only add to the creepiness of this post? ;) )

some women like to call their men BigDaddy some men like to be a BigDaddy, not that there is anything wrong with that at all!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Black Canary wrote:
Smitty wrote:I know that Bruce didn't intend it that way, but it does add to the creepiness to that song. That's one of my favorite Bruce songs ( :shock: ) - love songs about lust & possible violence (does that only add to the creepiness of this post? ;) )

some women like to call their men BigDaddy some men like to be a BigDaddy, not that there is anything wrong with that at all!!!

oo I know - and Mama and shit like that - but "little girl" is another story
but I don't believe Bruce meant it literally but you can't deny is such a wicked lil song it does add to it.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

I am not a big Bruce Fan, but I was listening to his channel on Sirius radio the other day and they played adam raised a cain. Good tune. I think I liked it better than DBT's version, which surprised me. That's all.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

one belt loop wrote:So, I know this insane woman from another board who insists that Bruce is a child molester because of the line Hey little girl, is your daddy home?

Discuss.

Well that woman is obviously, bat-shit fuckin crazy.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Working on the Highway is Bruce's pedophile song anyway 8-)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

The River was released 30 years ago yesterday.

and here's another version which is really unbelieveable...

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

I know this gal who started singing and plinking around on guitar late in life, after becoming a mother and hitting her 30s. She used to be a cheerleader at Mississippi State, but is actually a decent person. I pleaded with her for years to get up and sing with a rock band and finally talked her into it last year for a Springsteen Appreciation show I put on at Proud Larrys here in Oxford.

I thought she didn't do too bad for her first time singing rock and fronting a band, so to celebrate her 40th birthday yesterday, I put it on that YouTube:
"Because The Night" - Kelley Norris with the Screen Door Slammers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCOPI5AJsbM

The main event that night was Mary and the Screen Door Slammers performing the Born To Run record, but they humored me by learning this one to back Kelley.

http://www.myspace.com/kelleynorrismusic

Clams

Post by Clams »

ChicoHarris wrote:I know this gal who started singing and plinking around on guitar late in life, after becoming a mother and hitting her 30s. She used to be a cheerleader at Mississippi State, but is actually a decent person. I pleaded with her for years to get up and sing with a rock band and finally talked her into it last year for a Springsteen Appreciation show I put on at Proud Larrys here in Oxford.

I thought she didn't do too bad for her first time singing rock and fronting a band, so to celebrate her 40th birthday yesterday, I put it on that YouTube:

Damn, Chico. She can sing, and she's hot. She should be a rock star.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ChicoHarris wrote:I know this gal who started singing and plinking around on guitar late in life, after becoming a mother and hitting her 30s. She used to be a cheerleader at Mississippi State, but is actually a decent person. I pleaded with her for years to get up and sing with a rock band and finally talked her into it last year for a Springsteen Appreciation show I put on at Proud Larrys here in Oxford.

The main event that night was Mary and the Screen Door Slammers performing the Born To Run record, but they humored me by learning this one to back Kelley.

http://www.myspace.com/kelleynorrismusic

40, huh? Well i guess the math skills coming out of Mizzsippi have always been a little suspect ;) Yowza! I think i'm in love. Oh, wait, did u say something about singing? :lol: (yeah, she can definitely sing, too).

The Stranger

Post by The Stranger »

For those interested, NPR is streaming The Promise on their website.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =130860714

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Stranger wrote:For those interested, NPR is streaming The Promise on their website.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =130860714

Thanks for the tip!

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've heard a handful of the studio tracks that were left off Darkness on his XM channel and let's just say that he picked the right ones to be on the record. I heard his studio cut of Because the Night this morning and it was slow and boring, at least compared to the blazing live versions we're all used to.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Clams wrote:I've heard a handful of the studio tracks that were left off Darkness on his XM channel and let's just say that he picked the right ones to be on the record. I heard his studio cut of Because the Night this morning and it was slow and boring, at least compared to the blazing live versions we're all used to.

I'm interested the most in hearing the studio version of Fire.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Clams

Post by Clams »

the Darkness studio tracks disc (57 minutes long) is streaming at NPR through Nov 17...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =130858856
the alternate take of Racing in the Street... just wow

Clams

Post by Clams »

Finally watched The Making of Darkness dvd the other night. Really enjoyed it. The studio footage from 77-78 was priceless. Unbelievable how prolific he was back then. Watching the creative process at work was fascinating - the live shows and finished records just don't convey that. (Made me wonder if the Truckers have any similar footage from back when they were making SRO or Decoration Day).

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Clams wrote:Finally watched The Making of Darkness dvd the other night. Really enjoyed it. The studio footage from 77-78 was priceless. Unbelievable how prolific he was back then. Watching the creative process at work was fascinating - the live shows and finished records just don't convey that. (Made me wonder if the Truckers have any similar footage from back when they were making SRO or Decoration Day).

Slightly off topic since this is a Springsteen thread and this isn't in relation to the DBTs' studio recordings but I do know that their first appearance at Pine Hill Farm was filmed. Whether it will ever see the light of day is anyone's guess. The person that filmed it has such a backlog of recorded shows (both audio and video) that I doubt he'd ever be able to get to it all as far as transferring everything to DVD/CD. The last time I talked to him he said he'd probably just donate everything in his vault to the Southern Folklife Collection at UNC in Chapel Hill. What they would do with it is also anybody's guess but at least it would have a home. Unfortunately a lot of this stuff he's filmed/recorded over the years will never see the light of day in any form.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

My dog died last week. I made the 5 hour drive home to see her, and picked up my sister on the way, and we buried her over the weekend. Bruce Springsteen has always meant a lot to my family, and this is no exception. The night after we buried my dog, we drove out to get dinner, as it was also my mom's birthday, and on the way we put on The Rising. It's amazing the way certain songs that have nothing to do with your life seem suddenly applicable, but everything on that album feels like it's talking to me, from "Let your love give us love" on "Into the Fire" to all of "You're Missing". Driving back to school last night, we listened to it all the way, back-to-front, and I teared up a few times. I always thought it was a little long, but it felt like a perfect length at that point, even too short. My band does a cover of "My City of Ruins", but I don't think I've ever fully understood the power of that song, every "rise up", before that drive. And right now, it's the only album I can really listen to. I guess if music can't be there for you, what good is it? I know Springsteen will always be there for me now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know all those boots but i do know for certain that the '78 and '80 boots are among the greatest concert recordings ever, by anyone. Get some.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

beantownbubba wrote:

I don't know all those boots but i do know for certain that the '78 and '80 boots are among the greatest concert recordings ever, by anyone. Get some.

Somewhere, buried in my computer, I have the Main Point, 75 and Nassau Nights from 1980. Both are great, and, from I understand from my Springsteen geek friend, both are among the better Springsteen bootlegs. In the Main Point show, Springsteen is introduced by the famous Philly DJ Ed Sciaky (who died in the early 2000s) who was a big supporter of Springsteen very early in his career. I'm sure Clams knows more about Ed Sciaky than I do. Also, he plays Born to Run and gets, virtually, no response from the crowd, which is strange to hear. Finally, he attempts to perform Thunder Road, but the song is not quite fine tuned and he is all over the place with it. As the description above says, the song was called Wings for Wheels.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Somewhere, buried in my computer, I have the Main Point, 75 and Nassau Nights from 1980. Both are great, and, from I understand from my Springsteen geek friend, both are among the better Springsteen bootlegs. In the Main Point show, Springsteen is introduced by the famous Philly DJ Ed Sciaky (who died in the early 2000s) who was a big supporter of Springsteen very early in his career. I'm sure Clams knows more about Ed Sciaky than I do. Also, he plays Born to Run and gets, virtually, no response from the crowd, which is strange to hear. Finally, he attempts to perform Thunder Road, but the song is not quite fine tuned and he is all over the place with it. As the description above says, the song was called Wings for Wheels.

Ed Sciaky was the greatest DJ. I was painting my den when I heard the news that he died. Somewhere I have a pic of me, Ed and I think Nils Lofgren. Ed was one of the very first DJ's to discover Springsteen and play his songs on the radio, and Bruce used to crash on Ed's floor whenever he came through Philly.

And not to be the Springsteen nerd, but if you're into the jazzy/clubby Bruce shows from 1975 and earlier, that Main Point 1975 mentioned by Gang Green is the one to get. That early version of Thunder Road, called Wings for Wheels is a gem, with it's opening lyric "That 442 is gonna overheat, make up your mind girl, I gotta get her back on on the street" instead of "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves" and the closing line not "we're pulling out of here to win" but "baby, I was born to win." The opener - Bruce singing Incident on 57th Street accompanied by just Roy Bittan on piano and Suki Lahav on violin is just stunning. There is also a killer cover of Dylan's I Want You. I believe that that show was his last before going into the studio to record Born to Run, which explains why some of the lyrics and arrangements are different from what we're all used to. Great stuff.

Speaking of Bruce's Wings for Wheels, I've been wondering since I first heard it if Patterson's lyric "and then you traded in your Wheels for Wings" in Come Back Little Star was intended or a coincidence. I would guess that he was probably aware of the reference.
If anyone's interested, you can download the Main Point version of Wings for Wheels here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vr9m7i

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Speaking of Bruce's Wings for Wheels, I've been wondering since I first heard it if Patterson's lyric "and then you traded in your Wheels for Wings" in Come Back Little Star was intended or a coincidence. I would guess that he was probably aware of the reference.
If anyone's interested, you can download the Main Point version of Wings for Wheels here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vr9m7i

I imagine while he was aware that it nodded it's head to Springsteen, the "wheels for wings" line distinctly fit Vic Chesnutt's condition and probably skirted the line between intentional Boss reference and coincidently fitting Vic's situation.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Friday night's show was beyond outstanding. I am still thinking about it and getting all excited when I tell people about it. I think it's the best show of his I've seen since 1980.

Plus I am pretty sure he kept me from getting a speeding ticket, even though I wouldn't have probably been stopped if I hadn't been at the show.

"Are you coming from San Francisco?"
"No, from the Coliseum."
"What was there?"
"Bruce Springsteen!"
"How was it???"
"GREAT"
"Ok, just be careful and go slower the rest of the way home. We've had too many spin-outs tonight."
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

How unusual! An article in Politico that doesn't taste like ass: How Ronald Reagan Changed Bruce Springsteen’s Politics
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

This week marks the 30th anniversary of the release of BORN IN THE USA, so E Street Radio is playing a bunch of shows from the supporting tour in 1984 and OH MY GOD.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bruce Springsteen turns 65 today. I have no idea what that means but it seems worthy of note.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Bruce Springsteen turns 65 today. I have no idea what that means but it seems worthy of note.

He can get the senior special at IHOP?

I read a great piece on Nebraska this morning but I'll be damned if I can find it now to post the link.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved