DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Release Date: February 15, 2011
ATO Records

Track Listings:

1. I Do Believe
2. Go-Go Boots
3. Dancin' Ricky
4. Cartoon Gold
5. Ray's Automatic Weapon
6. Everybody Needs Love
7. Assholes
8. The Weakest Man
9. Used To Be A Cop
10. The Fireplace Poker
11. Where's Eddie
12. The Thanksgiving Filter
13. Pulaski
14. Mercy Buckets

Go-Go Boots is the ninth proper studio release from Drive-By Truckers and fan opinion on the record are as varied as almost any of their records with the possible exception of A Blessing and a Curse. For me it's my second favorite after Decoration Day, especially when listened to on vinyl. This one stayed in daily rotation for me for over eighteen months and I still listen to it once or twice a week. In some ways I think it has the feel of a record that could have come out in the early nineteen seventies, not lyrically or thematically of course, but in terms of overall vibe and sound. There are some very personal and heartfelt songs, which is a bit of a departure from previous records, but there are also tales of the same type of hard luck characters that we've come to expect from the very beginning. Probably the biggest difference from any of their other releases is the fact that GGB has two cover songs by the late great Eddie Hinton. The songs had been recorded previously but when added here become the glue that holds the whole thing together. To me it's a soul record, and a great one at that.

From the opening of I Do Believe you realize that something may be a bit different here. The song is Patterson's ode to his grandmother and it's heartfelt and deeply personal, but it also can get us as listeners to reflect on our own memories from days gone by. The lyrics are evocative a bygone time: I believe I saw your shadow looking like 1967 Percy Sledge on the radio Or maybe Spanish songs All my troubles swept away The ocean on my scraped up knees You could never stand to be away from me too long. Musically it's a bit of a change up as well with modulated verses and bright guitars. I can never get enough of this one and it makes the perfect opening song and matches well as a bookend piece with mercy Buckets that closes the record.

The next song, the title track, gets back to the dark and gritty territory that DBT has excelled at for so long. A preacher and authority figure gone wrong and the sins that seal his fate. It's a dark tale with some of the greasiest lead guitar from John Neff that you'd ever want to hear all held down on the low end by EZB and Shonna Tucker.

Next come probably the only song on the album I don't like, Shonna's only original track here Dancin' Rickey. Live it had a certain charm but on wax it doesn't work for me. The next track, and the first we hear from Cooley on GGB, is Cartoon Gold and it's amazing. It mines some of the same sonic territory that Perfect Timing from BTCD did, but lyrically it's as fine a song as he's ever written. Jesus made the flowers but it took a dog to make the story good. Top notch stuff.

Patterson's Ray's Automatic weapon is next up with it's story of a Veteran who despite forty years having gone by still feels the effects of war. It's chilling and you feel the man's pain. So after taking us on an emotional down with Ray's Patterson takes us right back up with the first Eddie Hinton cover of the record, Everybody Needs Love which had already become a live favorite. It's an amazing song that should have been a huge hit and the band gives it it's due here. If you don't feel something after this one please seek professional help.

Next comes one of the most misunderstood songs in the DBT catalog. One of my favorite 3DD moments was when Patterson came on here to explain that the "assholes" in the song were really themselves and people posted afterwards saying that they were sorry but they disagreed with him. it reminded me of the scene in Back To School where Rodney Dangerfield hires Kurt Vonnegut to write his paper on...Kurt Vonnegut. He turns it in and Sally Kellerman's character gives him an F saying that not only wasn't it his work but that the writer didn't know the first thing about Vonnegut :lol: . Personally I like the song a lot and will go with Patterson's word on it.

The Weakest Man is Cooley's next contribution to GGB and it's a fine country song but it's the next song from Patterson that really jump starts the middle of the record. Used to be A Cop is one of my absolute favorite songs. It's the story of an unhinged ex cop who may or may not be on the verge of doing something really terrible. The man has lost his wife and family and is to self absorbed to understand why. The "Miss You" style beat from Brad Morgan and the absolutely fantastic bass line from Shonna hold down the bottom while the rest of the band provides disco flourishes over this dark tale. The "used to play football" bridge is one of my favorite moments in song in the way it briefly elevates the narrators mood and then drops him off the cliff again. Just chilling.

The Fireplace poker revisits the preacher gone bad from GGB but this time from a different angle. It's a good song but on a great record it gets overshadowed a bit.

Where's Eddie is the second of the Eddie Hinton covers and, as it turned out, the last we heard of Shonna Tucker as a Drive-By Trucker, but what way to go out. I think it's her finest vocal performance and a song she was meant to sing.

The last three songs on the record send it off in style. The Thanksgiving Filter is my all time favorite song about family. We all love our families but who among us hasn't wished they had smoked a joint while listening to a crazy uncle or sem batty aunt? Makes me smile and remember family holidays. Pulaski is another Cooley country song this time revisiting the classic theme of small town girl goes to the big city with tragic results. The fact that he never comes out and actually says what happens to her really makes it stand out.

The last song, Mercy Buckets, is probably my favorite and is in my top 5 or 6 DBT songs. As i said at the beginning it bookends nicely with the opener I Do Believe. while that song looks back with fondness this one is rooted in the present and is a rare love song in the canon, and a great one it is. The first time I heard it was in an early form with Patterson playing it on a acoustic at a wedding and since it's inclusion on GGB it's been a wedding staple for fans ever since. it was played at my wedding and I know it's been played at many others. It's a song that appeals to the heart and touches the soul finishing off what I believe is a great soul record.

To wrap this up I love this record. It hits all the right notes with me and will always be a favorite and now serves as a finale to a certain era of the band. It has great songs and an identity which all great albums have.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Re: DBT Albums: Week 11 Go-Go Boots

Post by Gaetzi »

Well done, TC!

I've really been digging the album of the week thread but one of the perspectives I personally haven't been able to appreciate is when the older albums came out or in the order they were released. I went to my first show (Boulder May 2011) on the Go-Go Boots tour hardly knowing any Truckers tunes. Within a month I had aquired the entire back catalog minus a few (Ganstabilly, Live at 40 Watt) It's been a blitzkreig of DBT ever since but I still get mixed up with what tunes are on what albums. It's been great reading peoples thoughts on certain albums or eras, a perspective I don't really have. Anyhow, just a random thought- Carry on.
Last edited by Gaetzi on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:To me it's a soul record, and a great one at that.

And I think that's why people of otherwise good taste don't like it so well--that's not what they expect or want from DBT. I dig it a lot, myself. And I wonder whether Patterson thinking about family (such as David Hood) and friends (such as Eddie Hinton) isn't what lies underneath his song choice here and the soulfulness of the CD overall. (I suspect Shonna had the second most influence on this turning out to be a soul record.) Everything on here of his but "Assholes" is about family in one way or another (and even that, if you consider that a bandmate is often somewhere between family and friend).

Tequila Cowboy wrote:One of my favorite 3DD moments was when Patterson came on here to explain that the "assholes" in the song were really themselves and people posted afterwards saying that they were sorry but they disagreed with him. it reminded me of the scene in Back To School where Rodney Dangerfield hires Kurt Vonnegut to write his paper on...Kurt Vonnegut. He turns it in and Sally Kellerman's character gives him an F saying that not only wasn't it his work but that the writer didn't know the first thing about Vonnegut :lol: . Personally I like the song a lot and will go with Patterson's word on it.

I like the song a lot, too, but like I said at the time, Patterson might have been honestly (I have a hard time imagining him being dishonest in that way) describing the song he tried to write or wishes he'd written more than the song he actually wrote. The song is open enough that I could read it either way.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Used to be A Cop is one of my absolute favorite songs. It's the story of an unhinged ex cop who may or may not be on the verge of doing something really terrible. The man has lost his wife and family and is to self absorbed to understand why. The "Miss You" style beat from Brad Morgan and the absolutely fantastic bass line from Shonna hold down the bottom while the rest of the band provides disco flourishes over this dark tale. The "used to play football" bridge is one of my favorite moments in song in the way it briefly elevates the narrators mood and then drops him off the cliff again. Just chilling.

This song is maybe the best ever moment for Shonna and EZB (not that the rest of the band doesn't kick ass here too--it's an incredible track). And that poor fucker--if he could realize he's not just "paying for the house that bitch lives in now" but for the roof over his kids' heads too, maybe he wouldn't have to follow that with "the children that we had, they won't even look at me". Self-absorbed to the max, yeah, but hurting, too, hurting enough over his losses that he can't see what he's throwing away. It's hard to get me to pity a cop, but this song did it.

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The last song, Mercy Buckets, is probably my favorite and is in my top 5 or 6 DBT songs. As i said at the beginning it bookends nicely with the opener I Do Believe. while that song looks back with fondness this one is rooted in the present and is a rare love song in the canon, and a great one it is. The first time I heard it was in an early form with Patterson playing it on a acoustic at a wedding and since it's inclusion on GGB it's been a wedding staple for fans ever since. it was played at my wedding and I know it's been played at many others. It's a song that appeals to the heart and touches the soul finishing off what I believe is a great soul record.

To wrap this up I love this record. It hits all the right notes with me and will always be a favorite and now serves as a finale to a certain era of the band. It has great songs and an identity which all great albums have.

When I said my holy trinity was SRO/BTCD/Whatever Comes Next, I was telling the truth, but if I knew there wouldn't be a next one (and I'm so glad, if unsurprised, there will be), I'd've said SRO/BTCD/Go-Go Boots instead. (Maybe Dirty South instead of BTCD. It's hard to say for sure, because, as Bob Dorough reminds us, . [And which song off Court and Spark starts with the same chord as this one, anyway?])
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As one of the assholes who believes that "Assholes" is about the record company not the band, let me say this: I have no doubt that if Patterson says he intended to write a song about the band then he intended to write a song about the band. But (a) once it's out there, a song is subject to interpretation whatever the writer may prefer or intend and (b) this would not be the first time that a writer was not the best interpreter of his/her own work. The subconscious is a funny thing. I wonder which band members sleep in castles or have expense accounts...

By contrast, I always thought "Weakest Man" was one of the weaker tracks on the album until somebody pointed out that it was about booze, not a woman. Suddenly the song clicked and seemed a lot better :)

On the whole, I agree w/ your assessment, TC. One of my favorite DBT albums although outside the Trinity for me. It is cohesive, it has some wonderful performances (including both Hinton covers) and some great songs (Mercy Buckets, Pulaski, many more) and it has a great groove. Perhaps exaggerating slightly, but only slightly, it's a Fireplace Poker away from being a great album.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:As one of the assholes who believes that "Assholes" is about the record company not the band, let me say this: I have no doubt that if Patterson says he intended to write a song about the band then he intended to write a song about the band.

As one asshole to another, I am with you in Rockland.

beantownbubba wrote:By contrast, I always thought "Weakest Man" was one of the weaker tracks on the album until somebody pointed out that it was about booze, not a woman. Suddenly the song clicked and seemed a lot better :)

I thought it was about quitting cigarettes.

beantownbubba wrote:On the whole, I agree w/ your assessment, TC. One of my favorite DBT albums although outside the Trinity for me. It is cohesive, it has some wonderful performances (including both Hinton covers) and some great songs (Mercy Buckets, Pulaski, many more) and it has a great groove. Perhaps exaggerating slightly, but only slightly, it's a Fireplace Poker away from being a great album.

The Fireplace Poker is an excellent song but it and Go-Go Boots (which I think is a better song) on the same record was maybe overkill. So to speak. I agree that (and skipping Assholes when my daughter is in the car...she's ten now...hmmm...) is the only problem I have with it. If only I had more problems like that!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, I don't think FP is a bad song, i just think it's the 3rd best song out of 3 songs on the same topic on 2 consecutive albums. Or put another way, one too many.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:[[And which song off Court and Spark starts with the same chord as this one, anyway?])

Uh, Court and Spark.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I don't think FP is a bad song, i just think it's the 3rd best song out of 3 songs on the same topic on 2 consecutive albums. Or put another way, one too many.

I'd rank FP #2 and Wig #3, but I digress....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Nice job TC. This is a good record to me. No where near their best but certainly not their worst.

I like what they were shooting for here. I love country and soul and love the combination. Not a bit surprised that they eventually went there. I think they did a pretty good job at it. There are a few songs here that I love. Cartoon Gold, Pulaski, Used To Be A Cop. A few more that I like a lot, Everybody Needs Love, The Weakest Man, The Fireplace Poker. And several more that I think are good. There are only two songs here that I don't care for and they Assholes and Dancing Ricky.

I'll take Patterson at his word on Assholes but I never would have gotten that if he hadn't told us. Like bubba said, which one of them has an expense account and a huge house? And do they lay the friendship card on themselves? I missed something I guess. But that's not why I don't like it. It just sort of plods and bogs things down to me and I find it kind of dull but I guess opinions are like the title of this song.

I don't get why Dancing Ricky was included here instead of I Hear You Hummin. To me the latter is a much better song. Maybe it was Shonnas choice.

I am one of the ones that stands up for The Weakest Man. It cracked me up when somebody here referred to it as Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer. I can't listen to it without laughing anymore. It's to the point that I was hoping they didn't play it at homecoming because I didn't want Cooley to see me laughing. Because there would have been no holding it back. I kind of always got that it was about booze. But I think I would have liked it anyway.

I liked this record when it came out a little better than I do now. It hasn't aged that well with me. I had the opposite experience with this that I had with BTCD.

It's still good though and I enjoy the songs when played live.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Good job, TC. Some random thoughts:
I can't remember who wrote this, but I agree: Shonna's songs fit better here than any other album.
Two songs from Go-Go Boots have ended up on my DBT Greatest Hits playlist: Cartoon Gold & Mercy Buckets. Cartoon Gold is top Cooley 5 for me.
All the songs that I skip are strong lyrically, but rather musically boring: Ray's Automatic Weapon, Assholes, The Weakest Man, The Fireplace Poker, and The Thanksgiving Filter. Much like Smitty's criticism of Southeastern...
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

"The Weakest Man" is about whatever I need it to be about on that particular day. I love the song.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Interesting takes on the Cooley songs. To me, this is Cooley's weakest record (no pun intended), as none of his songs would rank in my Top 10 or even 15 Cooley songs

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Pulaski" is my fav Cooley song of all-time. In fact while most of Pattersons best song were in the early albums, I think Cooley's have gotten better the last 3 records.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

"Pulaski" would easily be in my top 10 Cooley songs....maybe top 5.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Cole Younger wrote:I like what they were shooting for here. I love country and soul and love the combination.

Agree with Cole Younger there, but for me they failed to pull it off with this album, a missed opportunity.

LastLawson wrote:Two songs from Go-Go Boots have ended up on my DBT Greatest Hits playlist: Cartoon Gold & Mercy Buckets. Cartoon Gold is top Cooley 5 for me.
All the songs that I skip are strong lyrically, but rather musically boring: Ray's Automatic Weapon, Assholes, The Weakest Man, The Fireplace Poker, and The Thanksgiving Filter.

Spot on LastLawson, Cooley's songs are exempt from any criticism I have of this album. I won't bore everybody with those thoughts, but LastLawson's list of musically boring songs is small compared to mine. "I Do Believe" and "Everybody Needs Love", along with the Cooley songs are the only keepers for me.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cartoon Gold might be top 5 Cooley. Its everything that's great about him. Mercy Buckets might be top 5 Patterson. A definite masterpiece lyrically and musically.

I've never got why folks are so absolute in saying Weakest Man is about booze. I think it can be about booze, but it could be about women, or anything really. That's the genius of that set of lyrics. Not specific enough to pigeonhole, and vague enough to have universal application. I like the guy who says "its about what I want it to be about".

Otherwise, Bubba summed up my thoughts on some other matters.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, I don't think FP is a bad song, i just think it's the 3rd best song out of 3 songs on the same topic on 2 consecutive albums. Or put another way, one too many.

The Wig He Made Her Wear is not at all like Go-Go Boots and The Fireplace Poker. In the latter two, an adulterous preacher has his wife killed in cold blood. We know that. In The Wig He Made Her Wear, we don't know what happened. We have the killer's version and the lawyer's defense, backed with evidence that the non-adulterous preacher liked barely kinky sex with his wife and that the wife killed him. It is entirely possible (I think the song slightly weighs toward this side) (but then, I would) that the wife killed him in cold blood and took advantage of the kinky sex and her conservative community to get away with it.

"Justice has been served"

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:Cartoon Gold might be top 5 Cooley. Its everything that's great about him. Mercy Buckets might be top 5 Patterson. A definite masterpiece lyrically and musically.

Two songs as great and as different as Mercy Buckets and Used To Be A Cop on the same record. Isn't that something? And x2 about Cartoon Gold.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

For everyone who says Cartoon Gold or Pulaski as Cooley Top 5, I'd like to see your other 4. I'm dying to see what songs get bumped.

I can't imagine anyone liking either of those songs better than Zip City, Devil, WWW, Uncle Frank, Love Like This, Sounds Better in the Song, Marry Me, Space City, etc.....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

The Wig He Made Her Wear is not at all like Go-Go Boots and The Fireplace Poker. In the latter two, an adulterous preacher has his wife killed in cold blood. We know that. In The Wig He Made Her Wear, we don't know what happened. We have the killer's version and the lawyer's defense, backed with evidence that the non-adulterous preacher liked barely kinky sex with his wife and that the wife killed him. It is entirely possible (I think the song slightly weighs toward this side) (but then, I would) that the wife killed him in cold blood and took advantage of the kinky sex and her conservative community to get away with it.

Didn't figure you for such a literalist, JohnA. "Wig" is not the same as the other 2, but yeah, it's like them. Preachers running amuck, hypocrisy, small town fuck ups, etc etc etc.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

In terms of spins GGB's is one of the top three or four most played DBT records. I absolutely love the sleezey vibe and the cover art. You can practically smell the mildew in a cheap motel room. It is the stench of sin that lingers on your body like a layer of sweat on a humid day.

One of the things we talked about here when the record first came out is the "accidental theme" of the overall record. People searching for satisfaction and meaning in all the wrong places. But we can find it in family and friendship but that isn't easy because it demands something from us. Dealing with relatives who look scary or are a pain in the ass. Loving your woman when she wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and is bitchy. Trusting your friends won't write you off as insane when when you explain why you cannot keep their automatic weapon. Patterson Hood is one of the best artists at sequencing albums and he did a fantastic job here.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

Zip City wrote:For everyone who says Cartoon Gold or Pulaski as Cooley Top 5, I'd like to see your other 4. I'm dying to see what songs get bumped.

I can't imagine anyone liking either of those songs better than Zip City, Devil, WWW, Uncle Frank, Love Like This, Sounds Better in the Song, Marry Me, Space City, etc.....

Top 5 (in no order):
Where The Devil Don't Stay, Zip City, Women Without Whiskey, Love Like This, and Cartoon Gold. The other songs you mentioned pale musically. And I've never understood the big to-do about Marry Me *ducks*.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:

Didn't figure you for such a literalist, JohnA. "Wig" is not the same as the other 2, but yeah, it's like them. Preachers running amuck, hypocrisy, small town fuck ups, etc etc etc.

I'm not a literalist. Both Uncle Frank and TVA tell a deeply true story while not following the literal facts too closely.

But in this case, two of those songs are straightforward narratives about an innocent person dying because her husband was a lying, vicious prick who knew some other greedy, vicious pricks.

The third? It's not so simple.

He's not running amok. He's just having sex with his wife, who decides to kill him over it. Did he coerce her into it? Did she have second thoughts? Did she decide she wanted to kill him and get away with it, then introduce the wig and high heels on her own, knowing how the town would react to it? Did he ever even see the wig? Did they dust the box to see if his prints were on it? Did they find any of his DNA or hair or skin cells on the wig? Did they even check? And was he a hypocrite? Did he preach a lot about the evils of dressing your wife up a little slutty for sex? That's not a common pulpit topic, so far as I know.

So the songs might be similar, in that they all are about an innocent person dying at the hands of someone who kills them in cold blood. If so, then they're very different, in that in Wig, the killer gets away with it. Like I quoted, "Justice has been served." Choose whatever meaning of "served" you prefer.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:I've never got why folks are so absolute in saying Weakest Man is about booze. I think it can be about booze, but it could be about women, or anything really.

Cause Cooley introduced it years ago during one of his solo shows as "a break-up song to drinking" or something to that effect

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:For everyone who says Cartoon Gold or Pulaski as Cooley Top 5, I'd like to see your other 4. I'm dying to see what songs get bumped.

Pulaski
Zip City
Birthday Boy
One of These Days
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:

Pulaski
Zip City
Birthday Boy
One of These Days

:D

I love the complete lack of consensus among DBT fans. I think it makes the whole thing that much more fun.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I love the complete lack of consensus among DBT fans. I think it makes the whole thing that much more fun.

And it gives us something to do while the band isn't touring.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

"And I've never understood the big to-do about Marry Me "

The riff, man.. It's all about that guitar riff :)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Trying to come up with my top 5 Cooley songs is like trying to come up with my top 5 Stones songs. It can't be done. But I do like the Cooley songs on GGB's. They show a different side to Cooley's songwriting and seem to be influenced by the Nashville sound between 1968 and 1980. My theory is that this is what was playing on the car radio and in his family's store while he was growing up. He sort of absorbed all of this but until BTCD these type of Cooley songs weren't done by DBT. "Cartoon Gold" is a great song and "Pulaski" is very reminiscent of songs like Dolly Parton's work in the early seventies. It also fits well with his philosophy that there really isn't anything better or more fun on the other side of the mountain that you can't find in your hometown.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Uncle Frank
One of These Days
Zip City
Gravity's Gone
Ghost to Most

Brown Sugar
Tumblin' Dice
Gimme Shelter
JJ Flash