Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Horrible news out of Athens this morning. Craig Lieske had a heart attack and died early today.

I just thought people might want a place to post thoughts or remembrances or just commiserate.

Many people here knew Craig far better than I, but I knew him well enough to know that he was one of the good, special guys. He will be sorely missed.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kevidently

Re: Craig Lieske Memorial Thread

Post by Kevidently »

After the show, I went back up and shook his hand and congratulated him on Thundercrack. Bought some merch and he told me he'd see me tomorrow night.

Such sad news. I'm so glad he had a great night last night.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Still in shock upon reading this on FB this afternoon. I'm sure at some point I'll be able to collect my thoughts, but suffice to say he was, as we all knew, a helluva guy. I was always taken aback at his generosity and genuine spirit.

Gonna miss that wild hair. Talking with him pre-show while in line, and talking punk and noise bands. :cry:

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Flying Rabbit wrote:Still in shock upon reading this on FB this afternoon. I'm sure at some point I'll be able to collect my thoughts, but suffice to say he was, as we all knew, a helluva guy. I was always taken aback at his generosity and genuine spirit.

Gonna miss that wild hair. Talking with him pre-show while in line, and talking punk and noise bands. :cry:

My condolences to Craig's family. He always had a smile on and was a pleasure to talk to at the shows. Very very sad news.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Won't be the same without him at the show. Sorry Craig, you left us top soon.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Very shocked and saddened to hear about this. I always looked forward to chatting with Craig at DBTs shows. My thoughts are with all of his many friends and family.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

RIP Craig :cry:
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I met Craig in a hotel room in Richmond after one of the 2010 Halloween shows. We had a quiet little party goin' on & he showed up around 2:30 a.m. & regaled us with a few stories of some of the places he had been with the band. I thought he was a fascinating guy & very down to earth. I had the pleasure of having many conversations with him over the last couple of years & he always brought a smile to my face. I can't begin to express the sorrow I am feeling at this shocking and terrible news. All I can say is that I miss him already. RIP my friend.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Clams

Post by Clams »

I doubt that Craig knew or remembered me because i dont get to that many shows, but he always made me feel like we were old friends. My lasting memory was two years ago when I brought my son to one of the Go Go Boots shows. Craig was really nice to him, gave him some free dbt stickers. He played guitar last night with Thundercrack. They played their set of Bruce covers and he was having such a great time. And now, just like that, he's gone. It's difficult to even process this. So very fucked up.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

I was blessed, as were many others, to have benefitted from Craig's kindness, generosity and wit. He had a gift for being able to read people and was an integral part of the DBT concert experience for me and my husband. I attended solo last night and Craig took time to ask about my husband, listen to my reply and tell me to pass along a "Hi" to him. Condolences to Craig's family including DBT.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Craig became a good friend in the past two years. Last June he played a show with my band at Kenny's Castaways in New York City. I stayed with Craig and Melinda last August. Just yesterday we were chatting about the March shows and I promised to take him out to lunch at Holstens, where Tony Soprano had his final meal in the final episode. Craig and Melinda are (Jesus, I can't get used to referring to him in the past tense) big fans of The Sopranos and we talked about giving him a tour of all the spots in Jersey from the show.

I am angry with myself for not going to Athens to see his final shows, though like everyone here I had no idea that the past two nights would be Craig's last. (I didn't go because my ex went away on a business trip and my kids would have ditched school. The brats ditched school anyway and I'm not happy about it.) I am toying with the idea of getting in my car and driving fifteen hours. At this moment I need to be closer to my friend. Just a few hours ago I was thinking about Craig as I was driving to Vintage Vinyl, my fave record store, about how much he would love that place. Their prog rock section is larger than most record stores and Craig would have spent hours browsing the bins.

If any of Ya'll need an actual Reverend -- my ordination with the United Methodist Church is still good -- just let me know. I'll donate my services for my good friend. It won't be the first time.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

I am in complete shock. Craig was a friend to many. Myself included.
Tears are flowing.
Love you Craig and I just can't believe this is real.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

roland

Post by roland »

Awful news. I only knew Craig in passing from the merch table and smoking areas, but he was always upbeat and had great stories to tell. Terrible loss to the DBT family.

mrschop

Post by mrschop »

My husband and I met Craig a few years ago at a show. We became friends & damn near family before we all finished our cigarettes. He treated us like family from that day forward. We loved him dearly. I am shocked & deeply saddened. We always went to shows early to have lunch or drinks with him. The last time was in Oct in Bloomington IN. We ate lunch & hung out for soundcheck. What a great memory. We would talk weekly & I will miss him beyond words. My thoughts are with Melinda & his family, both actual relatives & those he made feel like family.

mrschop

Post by mrschop »

My husband and I met Craig a few years ago at a show. We became friends & damn near family before we all finished our cigarettes. He treated us like family from that day forward. We loved him dearly. I am shocked & deeply saddened. We always went to shows early to have lunch or drinks with him. The last time was in Oct in Bloomington IN. We ate lunch & hung out for soundcheck. What a great memory. We would talk weekly & I will miss him beyond words. My thoughts are with Melinda & his family, both actual relatives & those he made feel like family.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

How is Melinda? I hope there are people with her right now.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Well, fuck. I don't know what else to say. This fucking sucks. All I've got is this:

Dirge without Music

Edna St. Vincent Millay

I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. Crowned
With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned.

Lovers and thinkers, into the earth with you.
Be one with the dull, the indiscriminate dust.
A fragment of what you felt, of what you knew,
A formula, a phrase remains, --- but the best is lost.

The answers quick and keen, the honest look, the laughter, the love,
They are gone. They have gone to feed the roses. Elegant and curled
Is the blossom. Fragrant is the blossom. I know. But I do not approve.
More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world.

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Our condolences to all the friends and family who are mourning Craig's passing.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

God dammit.

All the best to Craig's family and friends and the whole DBT camp.
Beebs is not a ragey man

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

big bummer. terrible news.

ride on, brother.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

This is really hard to believe and digest - I am so sorry and so sad. Our thoughts are with Craig's family and DBT.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

Man, when I first pulled up to Craig's house last August he told me to put on any album in his collection. I put on In The Court of the Crimson King. The two of us were singing the title song and marching around his living room.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Oh man.Just can't believe this.Like many,I didn't know Craig except from the shows,but whenever I walked up he greeted me like a friend he'd known forever.Was looking forward to seeing him in the Rock next week.He will be sorely missed.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fuck
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Happy trails Craig man, wherever you are.

Gonna miss you - always looked forward to a chat whenever the rock show is in town - talking records, and whatever was annoying us at the time.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

For Craig.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Clams wrote:I doubt that Craig knew or remembered me because i dont get to that many shows

He remembered everyone. Uncanny ability. Nicest guy in the world.

This just sucks... RIP Craig.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

When we got to the 40 Watt last night Thundercrack! was already playing, so someone else was manning the merch table. I figured I'd go over and get a hug and have a chat and give Craig a couple hundred bucks of my hard-earned money after the show. Four hours later, when the place was clearing out, I looked up to that corner of the club and he was sitting on the floor in front of the table with Melinda, and they looked to be having an intimate moment. I decided I'd see him tomorrow night. Full of regret now. Hug the people close to you and tell them you love them.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

nucisspace

Post by nucisspace »

We knew that Craig loved Nuci's Space. He told us, he told other people, he advocated for us, he spread the word about us on the road. We hope that Craig knew how much we loved him back.
Turn it up loud - see you guys tonight.