Artist of the Week 8/13/12 Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Artist of the Week 8/13/12 Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons

Post by Penny Lane »

When people think of music scenes that are still thriving today, they think of mostly Austin, Athens, Baltimore, or maybe Portland. But if you're a folky, or live on the east coast, people know the most important scene happening in music right now is coming from Providence, Rhode Island. The scene is owned by Deer Tick, but Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons are an important, growing part of this larger crop of Americana/roots songwriters and bands that have been blowing up the coast and New England for a couple years. Most recently, Joe and his band have successfully stolen the show at fests like Campout East, Tweed River Fest, SXSW and most notably the NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL. The whole scene is filled with talent: Low Anthem (who volunteered their way to playing the NFF last year), Brown Bird (Pawtucket, RI) and now Joe Fletcher. I call this a scene and not a hometown because these artists are continually collaborating, contributing, promoting, and touring, while also maintaining a big hometown presence.

3DD Poster bold99 has been telling me about Joe Fletcher for the last year and a half. I got the album and really liked it (White Lighter) but it seemed like every time I tried to see Joe play in NYC, something came up. I finally was able to catch his act twice in Newport last month and was blown away. When Clams asked me about doing AOTW again, I immediately thought about writing about Joe Fletcher. I think he's something a lot of you would be into and I'd like to pass on this suggestion. I would like to ESPECIALLY pass on the suggestion to you New England folks because he'll be playing places like New Haven, NYC and of course Boston on any given weekend. He also does a lot of kitchen session type shows (a concept really big around the Boston area). Joe was a teacher in Foxborough for 10 years until he left it to pursue music full-time. He and his band have had two full length albums released, Bury Your Problems (2007) and White Lighter (2010).

Here's an official video from White Lighter: Flat Tire

White Lighter is a premeditated assault on American roots music skeptics. - Weekly Dig, Boston,…"

I'm not good at describing music but recently I've been listening to a lot of Bobby Bare, Jr. and Otis Gibbs--so maybe I see him as a combination (no, that's not right, I really can't say...) He's more than rock-a-billy, better than pop, more upbeat than folk, just someone extremely talented and under the radar. I guess it's safe to call it Americana. All I know is that he totally nailed Dylan's Crash on the levy at Newport. They've opened for bands such as Deer Tick, Dead Confederate and most recently, The Head and the Heart. The band is composed of Joe (acoustic/electric guitar/vocals), Dave Hemingway on drums/percussion, Joe Principe on bass, and Damien Puerini on electric guitar (Greg Burgess has been sitting in and played with them at NFF). White Lighter also had contributions by members of Deer Tick and Brown Bird.

and a pic hot off the Rolling Stone presses:

Here's Joe sitting in with Jim James, Ben Sollee and Charlie Rose at the Newport Folk Fest BBQ, covering INXS Never Tear Us Apart.

Here are some of my favorite clips/moments/music of Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons. Please check them out. He's really talented and should easily be opening up for a band like the Truckers.

No old fashioned posing here. Just rock n' roll with a tip of the hat to tradition. With White Lighter, Fletcher continues to showcase a style that has become all his own: story driven songs that never shy away from a little grit. -No Depression

Performing with Deer Tick in 2011 (Blues Cafe, Newport FF)

Womanizer Blues: (one of my favorite clips)

I was lucky enough to be front row for this performance of Too many Doors at Newport Folk Fest.

Some awesome covers: Big River/Waitin' Around to Die

This song is an incredible sing-a-long, Drunk and Single (for George Jones)

Really cool interview, includes Joe talking about getting sober.

http://maimedandtamed.com/2011/10/04/noreaster-festival-2011-interview-with-joe-fletcher/

Interview in No Depression:

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/interview-songwriter-joe-fletcher-discusses-his-wrong-reasons-and

Joe has a new EP coming out and Florence, Alabama is a song that'll be on it. I got to hear it at Newport Folk Fest--here's one of the few versions on youtube I could find:

ONE MORE COOL THING:
Joe also has a song on this Nebraska tribute album (along with Trampled by Turtles, Roadside Graves, David Wax, and Strand of Oaks (yay!). It' called Long Distance Salvation: A Tribute To Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska http://longdistancesalvation.bandcamp.com/album/long-distance-salvation-a-tribute-to-bruce-springsteens-nebraska

If you want more information, check out his website:http://www.joefletchermusic.com and please check out a JF&WR show if it comes close to you!
Last edited by Penny Lane on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

bold99

Re: Artist of the Week 8/13/12 Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Rea

Post by bold99 »

Great writeup. I cannot recommend Joe enough. I've seen tons of live music and tons of bands and there is just something about this band that pulled me in from day one. Joe is a what I would call a true artist. Very much along the lines of people like Jason Isbell, Jeff Tweedy, Patterson Hood, Justin Townes Earle, Joe really knows the craft of songwriting. He is very well versed in great American music and literature and it comes out in his music. He can do a Hank Williams or Robert Johnson cover and somehow makes it completely different and his own. His originals set themselves apart from your everyday Americana type songs. They are fun and danceable but also have great lyrical content.

I've spend many a Friday night at the Plough and Stars in Cambridge, MA in a ball of sweat from dancing and having a good ole' time at their shows. For me it is the closest thing to the days of really great Honky Tonk or Juke joint shows. As a live performer Joe knows how to draw the crowd in. Whether it be thousands of people at the Newport Folk Festival or just a few at a house concert. You can't help but pay attention and be interested and want to hear more. His music moves me in a way that not many bands over the last few years have. I'm really happy that he is finally starting to be the attention he deserves. His reception at this years Newport Folk Festival was amazing. It was the breakout set in my opinion in the way David Wax Museum and Brown Bird have been the two previous years.

Everyone should check out his music, buy a cd, go see him live. Joe has some NY, MA, and RI dates coming up. If you live in the Boston area there is a cool one day festival happening Sept. 15 with some other great bands. Joe will also be hitting the road with his band and Joshua Black Wilkins mid-October and doing mostly southeastern shows to include: Knoxville, Tennessee; Nashville, Tennessee; Asheville, North Carolina; Atlanta, Georgia; Downtown Athens, Georgia; Birmingham, Alabama; New Orleans, Louisiana; Oxford, Mississippi and MORE! Keep an eye out here for details! See y'all there!

Joe is also heading out on a solo tour in October-November and is setting up as many house concerts as possible. If you know of a place in your U.S. town where that can happen, please send an email to joefletchermusic@gmail.com. Please help spread the word. Here are some of the east coast dates he already has scheduled coming up.

NEW YORK, NY: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
08/18/2012 · 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Rockwood Music Hall
BROOKLYN, NY: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
08/19/2012 · 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Lady Jay'
PORTLAND, ME: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons / Patrick Sweany
08/31/2012 · 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Empire Dine and Dance
September
NEW HAVEN, CT: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons / Patrick Sweany
09/01/2012 · 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
cafe nine
PROVIDENCE, RI: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons / The Silks / Coyote Kolb
09/08/2012 · 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
THE MET
BOSTON, MA: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/15/2012 · 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Rumble on the River
PAWLET, VT: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/21/2012 · 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
The Barn Restaurant
CHESTER, VT: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/23/2012 · 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
The Pizza Stone VT
NEWPORT, RI: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/26/2012 · 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Norey's Star Restaurant

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Thanks for turning me on... This is right in my wheelhouse.

What is a kitchen session?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Kitchen Sessions is a house concert a friend of mine does. www.kitchensessions.net. he has hosted Joe, David Wax Museum, Brown Bird and others and video tapes the shows and puts them online. These are really fun intimate shows.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

I saw Joe Fletcher a few weeks back for the first time having never heard a song of his and was blown away.

Only a few songs into his set and I was kinda captured. Both the Mrs. and I got really into his show, bought a cd afterwards and have been listening to him ever since. He is building a base one fan at a time and his energy and focus make his live show a must see if he comes to your hood. Highly recommended and good write up Penny.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bovine knievel wrote:Thanks for turning me on... This is right in my wheelhouse.

Considering the music you've turned me on to, he's right up your alley. (anyone into Todd Snider, I'd say..minus the talking)

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nice write-up Penny (and bold99 too). Never heard of him but I like what I'm hearing on the youtubes. Too many great artists, not enough time...
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Penny Lane wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:Thanks for turning me on... This is right in my wheelhouse.

Considering the music you've turned me on to, he's right up your alley. (anyone into Todd Snider, I'd say..minus the talking)

I'd throw in a dash of Hayes Carll too.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

mahg33ta

Post by mahg33ta »

I've shot him an email about playing a house show in the Boston area, hopefully Nov-ish. If I get a date y'all will be the first to know (Joe this is Kyle in case you are reading this).

bleusie

Post by bleusie »

Spot on, Penny!

I remember seeing them at the Met in Providence well over a year ago - they were opening for J. Roddy Walston. And open they did! It was phenomenal then. It was ridiculous when they opened for the Head and the Heart just last month, and I only wish that I'd been able to see them at the Newport Folk Fest. Anyone that did should consider themselves lucky.

I'm on board for supporting any kitchen sessions I can. This little band needs to be heard. Definitely give them a listen. See them whenever, wherever you can.

-Kristen

PS. One thing Miss Penny Lane forgot to mention: Joe has a smirk that will make your knees weak, ladies. Watch out.
so love dawn can't you see.. that you only gotta dance with me.

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

Nice one Penny. Right up my alley.

Clams

Post by Clams »

He's got a record on Spotify. :)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Good write up. Have to keep an eye (and and an ear) on this guy.

For some reason some of these clips made me think of a band I used to listen to many years ago; The Havalinas.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bovine knievel wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

I'd throw in a dash of Hayes Carll too.

DEFINITELY and I didn't think of that...but similar voices and style..

and PS-Joe is not as towering as Hayes height wise, but he's got more stage presence (sorry, that's true!)

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Thanks for the feature, right up my ally. Just added this to my collection along with Cary Hudson's Cool Breeze. An ass kicking combo, I'm telling you.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

word up, pl. great job. thanks for the rec.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

You can order the Nebraska album:

http://longdistancesalvation.bandcamp.com/

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

some new tour dates listed:

This Week
CAPE COD, MA: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/14/2012 · 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
TWO special Cape shows.

New Church (w/ Riley Coyote) @ 5:30pm
266 Route 6A Yarmouthport, MA
$10 for adults, 14 and under free
All ages

Improper Bostonian @ 10pm
626 Main St
Dennis Port, MA
21+

BOSTON, MA: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/15/2012 · 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Harry Parker Boat House
JFWR performs from 1:35-2:25pm.
The event runs from noon to 7pm.

This Month
PROVIDENCE, RI: Willy Mason / Joe Fletcher / Last Good Tooth
09/17/2012 · 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Local 121
Joe will be playing solo on this very special evening.

PAWLET, VT: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/21/2012-
09/22/2012
The Barn Restaurant & Tavern

SPRINGSTEEN TRIBUTE
NORTH ADAMS, MA: "Long Distance Salvation" Release Party
09/22/2012 · 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Elks Lodge
Brown Bird
Joe Fletcher & The Wrong Reasons
Kingsley Flood
+ special guests?
$15
8pm
North Adams Elks Lodge - North Adams MA
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/267584

NEWPORT, RI: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
09/26/2012-
09/27/2012
Norey's Star Restaurant

NEW LONDON, CT: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons / Full Moon Jamboree
09/29/2012 · 9:00 PM - 11:50 PM
33 Golden Street

October
NEW YORK, NEW YORK: Joe Fletcher
10/01/2012-
10/02/2012
Rockwood Music Hall

LANCASTER, PA: Joe Fletcher w/ Carsie Blanton
10/02/2012-
10/03/2012
Tellus360

YORK, PA: Joe Fletcher
10/04/2012 · 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Sign of the Wagon
$8

PITTSBURGH, PA: The Beagle Brothers / Joe Fletcher
10/05/2012 · 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Sonny's Tavern

CLEVELAND, OH: Joe Fletcher
10/05/2012-
10/06/2012
TBA

EVANSVILLE, IN
10/11/2012-
10/12/2012
Lamasco Bar and Grill

MASSANUTTEN, VA: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons
10/13/2012 · 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Massanutten Fall Festival
Massanutten Resort
11:00 am - 5:00 pm

ATLANTA, GA: Joe Fletcher / Joshua Black Wilkins
10/16/2012-
10/17/2012
TBA

NASHVILLE, TN: Patrick Sweany / Joshua Black Wilkins / Joe Fletcher
10/16/2012-
10/17/2012
The 5 Spot

DENVER, CO: Joe Fletcher
10/26/2012-
10/27/2012
Leon

WALLA WALLA, WA: Joe Fletcher
10/31/2012-
11/01/2012
TBA

November
PORTLAND, OR: Joe Fletcher
11/01/2012-
11/02/2012
Hawthorne Theatre
Hawthorne Theatre Lounge

SEATTLE, WA: Joe Fletcher
11/02/2012-
11/03/2012
Slims Last Chance Saloon

December
PROVIDENCE, RI: Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons / Spirit Family Reunion / Samantha Harlow
12/01/2012-
12/02/2012
THE MET

http://joefletchermusic.com/shows/

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Oh, now I see, Penny. ;)

I also see there's room in that schedule for a trip down to SF. I'll have to keep my eye on it.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Got see Joe Fletcher solo last night in someone's house/art gallary last night in downtown York, Pa. Great songs, great performer and can't wait to see him with the wrong reasons so he can play Flower Garden. Got to talk some Deer Tick and Tom Waits with him after the show. And, we talked about Penny's feature with he was very aware and appreciative of

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Gang Green wrote:Got see Joe Fletcher solo last night in someone's house/art gallary last night in downtown York, Pa. Great songs, great performer and can't wait to see him with the wrong reasons so he can play Flower Garden. Got to talk some Deer Tick and Tom Waits with him after the show. And, we talked about Penny's feature with he was very aware and appreciative of

that's awesome! i'll get to see him 12/30-i can't wait. did he do any covers?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Penny Lane wrote:
Gang Green wrote:Got see Joe Fletcher solo last night in someone's house/art gallary last night in downtown York, Pa. Great songs, great performer and can't wait to see him with the wrong reasons so he can play Flower Garden. Got to talk some Deer Tick and Tom Waits with him after the show. And, we talked about Penny's feature with he was very aware and appreciative of

that's awesome! i'll get to see him 12/30-i can't wait. did he do any covers?

He did a Tom Waits song (I forgot the name but it was from Orphans) with Leo DiSanto a local Lancaster artist who opened for him. They had just met that day, they didn't rehearse the song, yet they were completely in synch. It was perfect. I got the impression after talking to him, that Joe Fletcher is a huge Tom Waits fan. He did stuff from his first album which i dont have but which sounded great, I'll have to get a hold of that one. And, he did a few songs from an upcoming solo EP. Apparantly, he's going to be back in York with the band early next year.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Possible tour together?

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

from SXSW:

Joe sat in with Diamond Rugs but I can't locate any clips of it (yet)..only this picture:

bold99

Post by bold99 »

http://www.newportfolkfest.net/introducing/joe-fletcher

Joe will be at the Newport Folk Fest for the second year in a row. Joining an incredible lineup that includes Beck, Jason Isbell, Old Crow Medicine Show, Justin Townes Earle, Jim James and more. He came up with a great idea to showcase some amazing talent from Nashville including John McCauley from Deer Tick. Check out all these artists and look for a possible Jason Isbell sit in with his wife Amanda Shires performing.