Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: mark lynn, Maluca3, Jonicont, CooleyGirl, olwiggum, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom

Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Kudzu Guillotine » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm

These are newly published photos (at least to my knowledge) that were taken at Love Valley in North Carolina back in July of 1970. Other than a band called Flood, I'm not sure who else was on the bill other than the Allman Brothers (who headlined). These photos are mostly of the crowd but are still very much worth a looksee. Here's the link.
User avatar
Kudzu Guillotine
 
Posts: 8848
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Slipkid42 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Very cool photos, KG. Do you think the band shots are Flood? Doesn't quite look like ABB. Some great crowd shots incl. dope rollin', titty suckin' & general tomfoolery & good vibes. It's surprising that these didn't surface until now, being as they are of such high quality. Wonder why it took so long?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light
User avatar
Slipkid42
 
Posts: 4094
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 am
Location: Northern Neck of the Dirty South

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Kudzu Guillotine » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm not sure who the band is but I agree, it's definitely not the Allmans. Looks like the photos were first posted online in 2011, I'm not sure if they've been published or posted elsewhere before. There's a fella in frame #61 that bares a strong resemblance to one of my brothers but I'm not 100% sure it's him. Back when the ABB Dreams box set first came out there was a promo clip for it that used to air a lot on MTV for "Statesboro Blues" that included a good bit of footage shot at Love Valley but the last time I looked, I couldn't seem to find it online anywhere. Seems like I've also seen some other photos that were shot at Love Valley but I believe they were different from this set.
User avatar
Kudzu Guillotine
 
Posts: 8848
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Kudzu Guillotine » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Found the "Statesboro Blues" clip. The Love Valley footage is interspersed with clips from the rehearsal for their 1990 reunion tour in support of Seven Turns.

User avatar
Kudzu Guillotine
 
Posts: 8848
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Flea » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Slipkid42 wrote:Very cool photos, KG. Do you think the band shots are Flood? Doesn't quite look like ABB. Some great crowd shots incl. dope rollin', titty suckin' & general tomfoolery & good vibes. It's surprising that these didn't surface until now, being as they are of such high quality. Wonder why it took so long?



Ummm - where was the titty suckin'?
This isn't a mystery of life! It's a shit!
User avatar
Flea
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 am
Location: Underneath the veneer

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Rocky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:53 am

Flea wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Very cool photos, KG. Do you think the band shots are Flood? Doesn't quite look like ABB. Some great crowd shots incl. dope rollin', titty suckin' & general tomfoolery & good vibes. It's surprising that these didn't surface until now, being as they are of such high quality. Wonder why it took so long?



Ummm - where was the titty suckin'?

Go back and look. :shock: Gotta love those North Carolina hippies.

I just searched the internet to learn that Love Valley is near Statesville, NC - similar to Statesboro, GA in the above clip.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Richmond, Va.

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Hud » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07 am

I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes
User avatar
Hud
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 12:08 am
Location: sometimes I feel like shit

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Rocky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Hud wrote:http://www.duaneallman.info/duanevideos.htm

Thanks for posting that link Hud. I just watched the 2012 BBC documentary on Southern Rock and really enjoyed it.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Richmond, Va.

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Kudzu Guillotine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:50 pm

A friend just alerted me to this book:

Image

...and this article written by Parke Puterbaugh from 2010 which provides a good amount of detail about the festival, including who played (I had no idea Mitch Easter was also on the bill) as well as an interview with the Mayor, Andy Barker, who passed away just last year:

Remembering NC's Woodstock
User avatar
Kudzu Guillotine
 
Posts: 8848
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Flea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Rocky wrote:
Flea wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Very cool photos, KG. Do you think the band shots are Flood? Doesn't quite look like ABB. Some great crowd shots incl. dope rollin', titty suckin' & general tomfoolery & good vibes. It's surprising that these didn't surface until now, being as they are of such high quality. Wonder why it took so long?



Ummm - where was the titty suckin'?

Go back and look. :shock: Gotta love those North Carolina hippies.

I just searched the internet to learn that Love Valley is near Statesville, NC - similar to Statesboro, GA in the above clip.


Ahh - buried on Page 3, pic 72.
This isn't a mystery of life! It's a shit!
User avatar
Flea
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 am
Location: Underneath the veneer

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Rocky » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 am

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:this article written by Parke Puterbaugh from 2010 which provides a good amount of detail about the festival, including who played (I had no idea Mitch Easter was also on the bill) as well as an interview with the Mayor, Andy Barker, who passed away just last year:

Remembering NC's Woodstock

Nice find Kudzu. Great quotes from that website.

Pam Simon, family-law attorney, Statesville:“After the festival, I lived in a teepee in Love Valley. Some of the Allman Brothers were hanging out there, too. Dickey (Betts) and Butch (Trucks) and Red Dog (an Allman Brothers roadie) were around a lot. A handful of us hitchhiked to one of their concerts at the Fillmore East in New York City (in 1971), and we stayed with them in their suite on Park Avenue.

“I hitchhiked back to Love Valley afterward and was in my teepee making breakfast when Dickey showed up. The band had played another gig the night before somewhere on Long Island. But the first thing he did after that was come back to Love Valley. So we had breakfast in my teepee on the Monday morning following the recording of 'Live at Fillmore East.’
“I was talking with Dickey backstage in Charlotte many years later and he said, 'You’re a lawyer. ... You must live in a three-story teepee now!’”

Butch Trucks, drummer, Allman Brothers Band, West Palm Beach, Fla.:“Love Valley became kind of a focal point for the Allman Brothers Band. We all just started hanging out there. Love Valley was where we lived and hung out when we weren’t working. Dickey built a house there. That’s where he was living with Sandy Blue Sky when he wrote 'Blue Sky.’
“It was such a cool place. You had to ride horses. It was just like this Wild West town, and I can remember nights we were full of moonshine and LSD
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life
User avatar
Rocky
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 am
Location: Richmond, Va.

Re: Love Valley Rock Festival 1970

Postby Dean » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:These are newly published photos (at least to my knowledge) that were taken at Love Valley in North Carolina back in July of 1970. Other than a band called Flood, I'm not sure who else was on the bill other than the Allman Brothers (who headlined). These photos are mostly of the crowd but are still very much worth a looksee. Here's the link.


great picks KG. I remember going to Love Valley as a kid and it would have been close to 1970- 71. I was very young.

But I don't remember any shit like that going on. There were some good looking hippie girls running round them thar hills.
Dean
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm


Return to Other Bands / Music News (non DBT-related)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests