Books Thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

SouthCarolinaRed

Re: Books Thread

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

rlipps wrote:Image

Thought this was a very compelling read.
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

A series I would highly recommend is the George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series, aka the "Game of Thrones" books. Got interested in the books thanks to the HBO series (who says TV can't inspire!). Seriously, I loved the books and have read them twice so far.

My normal genre is thrillers, mysteries, and law enforcement-centric writing. I wouldn't even put "historical fiction" on my interest list. The writing is compelling, with intricately woven storylines going on in several countries. The author must have all of this well-plotted in his head, complete with maps and family trees. A glossary on the characters is included after each book. There are maps, as well, but Kindle doesn't reproduce with enough clarity to really show me what's what. Martin's writing device is to write a chapter on a character, get to a good part, and them force you to read on several chapters more to catch back up with said character. He isn't afraid to take bold strokes and all the beloved characters don't survive....he has some supernatural elements throw in. I hesitate to add that because I can't explain it and give it due justice. I'll just say it fits in well with the tenor of the books. The books include knights, lords, kings, swords, battles, dragons, big wolves (dire wolves), dark magic, good magic, treachery, and Machiavellian plotting to take the Iron Throne.

Wish I could make this sound more literary and post some cool pics, but I will stop while I am ahead (and I don't have the pics thing mastered yet). I hope someone on here will read or has read this series. It's awesome. Would love to have a thread on it to geek out with others who have read it, as well. Two caveats: the books blow the show out of the water, although the show is great and you should at least catch the opening sequence which has been described as "steam punk". Also, apparently it took him five or six years to write book five. May be a while for six and seven.....
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Oh, boy. Sorry y'all, another tempest is brewing on the horizon, so this is going to be lengthy...

I wonder if you have all conjectured by this point (based on my previous posts in this thread) that I read. A lot. And, as a struggling writer, I take an objective view toward what I read. I've read enough to know what works and what definitely not works for authors, and take my cues accordingly. Because of this, I feel I'm a pretty tough literary critic. Always have been, from the time in 4th grade when our teacher made us each write a letter to the author of "Maniac Magee" telling him how much we liked his book, and my letter contained the how and why I thought his book sucked. Since then, many others have fallen under my axe, from stories like "the Cereal Garden" and "Yellow Wallpaper," to books like "Case of the Roasted Onion" by Claudia Bishop and, of course, the bane of my existence, "The Horse Whisperer."

Why did I feel the need to explain all of that? Perhaps to justify my qualifications in what I'm about to do - the unthinkable.

I'm about to pan what is widely regarded as a literary classic. :o

Let me start out by saying that I picked this one up as a favor to my mother (another bookish sort), who'd been bugging me to read it for quite some time. To my surprise, I found myself enjoying and making quick work of Part I. This enjoyment required several things of me as a reader that I took as a matter of course - firstly, remembering the era in which the book was written and what typically passed for children's literature at the time; secondly, that Marmee's long sermons and endless bounds of syrupy goodness were meant to enforce the teachings of the Bible upon her children readers (no matter where you fall in the religious spectrum now, the fact that it was traditional family practice for children to be raised on their Bibles 100 to 200 years ago cannot be disputed); and lastly, that the characters were (despite Alcott's protestations to the contrary) not meant to portray ordinary children at all, but serve as more relatable allegories in more relatable situations that children faced back then (this is most obvious in the chapters Beth Finds the Palace Beautiful, Amy's Valley of Humiliation, Jo Meets Apollyon, and Meg Goes to Vanity Fair, where each of the girls faces a situation that recalls a like lesson from John Bunyon's "Pilgrim's Progress"). It's a tall order for any reader to keep all that in mind and still enjoy a book, but, amazingly, I did. Considering the context in which it was written, I found the story charming, whimsical, and playful. Though much of it was expected, there were a few delightful surprises thrown into the narrative that I thought added character and charm to her moralistic piece. Jo I liked best of the sisters, for her tomboyish nature and sometimes surly attitude made her both quirky and likable. By far, the best character she created was Jo's playmate and best friend Laurie, whose spirited, jovial naughtiness made him more realistic, and his affinity for pranks added a much-needed lighthearted contrast to all the mother's serious preaching. As Part I drew to a happy, cute little conclusion, I thought the book was all right for a children's classic, and that surely, if Part I was any indication, there were even better things to come.

Then I read Part II.

As I think I understand, this section of the book was written some months after the initial publication and was originally entitled "Good Wives," meant as a sequel to the first. This edition ^^^ that I read lumped them both together as two halves of the same novel. And boy, was that a mistake. Everything I thought was cute and nice about Part I was cancelled out by all that I found disgusting and laughable in Part II. It was indescribably BAD. And I mean, BAD. Here are the highlights of what I found most irritating about it:

1) Amy. The youngest daughter, portrayed as a selfish, spoiled little brat who must learn the virtues of generosity in Part I, is just annoying on her own period. What makes her even worse is that, in this act, which takes places three years after Part I ends, she has made a miraculous 180-degree turn and has become a perfectly gentle, beautiful, gracious, kind little Lady Bountiful. Sorry, but I find that pretty hard to stomach. The fact that the omniscient narrator works hard to extol how virtuous the little bitch had become only served to make me dislike her more and more.

2) The most repulsive, disagreeable, Mary Sueish male character ever created, Professor Bhaer. He just waltzes into the story about 150 pages from the end and is immediately admired glowingly by the heroine, Jo, and the omniscient narrator as some kind of saint. From the way they both describe him, you'd think he shits manna from heaven or something. From the very first, I intensely disliked him, for the simple reason that every single person in the book's entire fucking world sang his praises from the rooftop. Nobody hated this guy. He was too ridiculously saccharine sweet. Children and small animals were drawn to him, men thought him insanely intelligent, women found him so gentle and kind. Oh give me a break!! With the exception of his ugly looks and older age (which of course, everyone finds comically endearing), this guy was perfect. And perfect people make me indescribably angry. Nobody, NOBODY, can be that good and kind and wonderful all the fucking time. To paraphrase Carol Burnett, he'd do well to stick his head in the punch bowl to lend it some more sweetness. Even in an allegorical children's book like this, if you're going to have such a perfect character, you desperately need a foil for him, or he becomes unbearable. And this guy had none. Loved and admired by everyone great and small, he of course ends up with the ultimate prize, Jo (oh, I'm so disappointed in you, Jo! Why did you have to marry, especially HIM??)

3) Alcott's treatment of and attitude toward the arts. It is absolutely appalling. Part I establishes that Jo is both talented and dedicated to her writing, as Amy is to her drawing, as Beth and Laurie are to their music. Throwing out Beth, because she was supposed to be Jesus or something and dies anyway, all three characters in Part II admit to having talent for these artistic pleasures, but cast them aside and give them up because they can never become truly "great." Really, Alcott? Is that what you think all children who have artistic talents ought to do??? Give them up because they can never be a Dickens, a Rembrandt, or a Mozart??? Oh, good Lord! To think of a world bereft of the gifts of so many artists because creating those gifts involved more hard work and determination than genius makes me sick to my stomach. I suppose this means the arts only serve as silly, childish fancies, then. Way to go, Alcott. Thanks for telling all the millions of children who've read your piece of shit book that belief in their talents gets them nowhere in life. I'm sure that makes you very happy from your pious little 'holier-than-thou' perch.

4) Poor Laurie. After making the reader pay witness to his beautiful little friendship with Jo in Part I, Alcott is unbelievably cruel to him in Part II. I would've preferred Jo remain a spinster, but if she absolutely HAD to marry (as Alcott's publishers allegedly ordered her to), then it was only right that she should've married Laurie. Instead, she coldly refuses his proposal and drives him into melancholy and despair. Worse yet, his swift rebound takes him right into the arms of that little bitch Amy! UGH!! Somebody please gag me now!!! To have to read Laurie's relatively swift change of heart, reducing his friendship with Jo to an immature, childish fancy that's best forgotten, to be replaced by the wonders of sagacious little Amy must equate as some form of torture. Superficial little Amy, who is seemed to be admired by Laurie only for her looks (I don't buy any of that wise and kind bullshit), in effect becomes his meaningless trophy wife. She's jealously protective of him, and isn't even "gracious" enough to wonder if stealing Jo's boy makes her a skank. (Yes, honey, yes it does.) The part that makes me just want to strangle her is the fact that from the very first chapter, she wishes to marry someone rich and be a great, rich lady. She marries their very rich neighbor in the end, and then talks of how horrid it is to marry for money. And that's the little cunt that ends up with Laurie?? Jesus fucking Christ!!! :evil:

For these incredibly irksome reasons, I was painfully slow in dragging myself through Part II. By the end, it had gotten so bad that I had to force myself to read it fast, like ripping off a band-aid. You know how you try to get as fast as you can through a book so you can throw it down and say "there! I read it! Never again" ? Well, this book was one of those. I admit I had to speed-read some chapters because I couldn't take much more of it. The romances she created for the girls are sprinkled with that same syrupy sweetness which seems to be her style that none of them are believable and actually make you want to throw up in your mouth. I could swallow Part I because of its allegorical and historical implications. Part II, however...no. Just, no. There was no reason, context, or excuse for such incredibly poor writing. She should have just stuck with her preachy little children's tales. Never again will I read this terrible, terrible book. Never will I make my children read it unless I want to punish them severely for something terrible they've done.

Fuck You, Louisa May Alcott.

Moving on, I had to temper this awful book with a few other reads in order to keep myself sane. This one did a very good job of doing so:
Last year's Dr. Tony Ryan Book Award winner. Oh, my God, this book was refreshingly excellent. An exceedingly well-written, factual account of the events leading up to and following the 1968 Kentucky Derby, the only Derby in history in which the horse that came home first was later disqualified. Milt Toby did a wonderful job touching on all the points just enough, from the horse's breeding to the histories of his connections to his prep races. He kept all the information concise and relevant. I learned so much about post-race drug testing procedures from this period that I was able to appreciate how far we've come in the forty-odd years since then. He completely covers all the arguments in the litigation that followed Dancer's Image's disqualification after his urine sample tested positive for Bute. I really enjoyed that - horse racing and the politicking behind it is boundlessly fascinating, even to those who aren't fans of the sport. This book delivered a very comprehensive look at the hearings without bogging down the pages with chemical analysis jargon that would have completely lost the reader. He also enumerates how the outcomes were historically significant and changed the sport of horse racing. Though it was short, it was nuanced, factual, and highly entertaining. Toby's writing is a gleaming example of how nonfiction should be presented. I'd recommend this to anyone. A must-read!

I only started this one a few days ago, per your recommendation, BTB, and I'm now nearly halfway through it. It's so hard to put down! I'm really enjoying it thus far. The history of the period creates a very vivid, colorful backdrop, the characters are great, and the plot has me hooked. Thanks for turning me on to this! It won't be long before I've finished it, but it's pretty terrific so far! I've already got the second one ordered so I'm ready to take it up as soon as I'm finished with the first.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm going to dive into the newish Stephen King novel about an alternate history where JFK isn't assassinated. Sounds intriguing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

What is a guy to do when he has been a rock DJ his whole career and all of a sudden he is asked to stay on while his legendary rock station is turned to a country music format? He could stay on and "play the game and be taken care of for life". Most would. Bob "the Blade" Robinson resigned, but he didn't resign by walking into anyone's office or leaving a letter of resignation in someone's mail slot. What he did got him banned from the company for life. It's a long way to the top and most never get there. This man had a lot of fun trying. Fun that almost got him killed.

For those unfamiliar with the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) radio scene, Bob "The Blade" Robinson has been a fixture on several rock n' roll radio stations since the 80's (and WHSL in Wilmington prior to that). A few years ago he stayed on at WRDU even after they switched from an AOR format to Country. Then, one day he put on "The Song Is Over" by the Who and walked out of the station. More recently he was part of the staff at 96 Rock in Raleigh that was let go when they fired every single one of their announcers in favor of a DJ-less format. All of them were fired without any sort of notice or advance warning (which is usually how it happens in the radio business).

Here's a newspaper clipping from The Blade's blog about the WRDU incident. He also has a blog specifically for the book here.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

One of my publishers is doing Jay Farrar's memoir! I'm all excited. Son Volt is going to be touring in March, just after publication. I'm angling for tickets.

For those of you who have had disappointing Jay experiences, I understand he is extremely shy.

(yes, this was posted in another thread first...sorry.)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:One of my publishers is doing Jay Farrar's memoir! I'm all excited. Son Volt is going to be touring in March, just after publication. I'm angling for tickets.

For those of you who have had disappointing Jay experiences, I understand he is extremely shy.

(yes, this was posted in another thread first...sorry.)

that is awesome...i have a newfound respect/admiration/fascination with Jay after seeing the New Multitudes tour...it takes a lot for someone to upstage Will and Jim..I'd LOVE to read that book after only hear JT's side for so long...(not that it'll include all that but i HOPE)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Lots of background. No political BS. Everyone gets credit where its due (both good and bad.), even Bush.

Fascinating read.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Penny Lane wrote:
one belt loop wrote:One of my publishers is doing Jay Farrar's memoir! I'm all excited. Son Volt is going to be touring in March, just after publication. I'm angling for tickets.

that is awesome...i have a newfound respect/admiration/fascination with Jay after seeing the New Multitudes tour...it takes a lot for someone to upstage Will and Jim..I'd LOVE to read that book after only hear JT's side for so long...(not that it'll include all that but i HOPE)

I believe some of it is fictionalized so he doesn't say it right out...something about someone hitting on his wife...

- bubba

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:I'm going to dive into the newish Stephen King novel about an alternate history where JFK isn't assassinated. Sounds intriguing

I'm 500 pages in and really enjoying it. The only supernatural element is time travel (the main character travels from 2011 to 1958, and then must make a life for himself for 4 1/2 years while planning to foil Lee Harvey Oswald's assassination attempt. He doesn't just find him and kill him as he's not 100% sure Oswald did it. It's part detective story, part time travel, and part fish out of water.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Zip City wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm going to dive into the newish Stephen King novel about an alternate history where JFK isn't assassinated. Sounds intriguing

I'm 500 pages in and really enjoying it. The only supernatural element is time travel (the main character travels from 2011 to 1958, and then must make a life for himself for 4 1/2 years while planning to foil Lee Harvey Oswald's assassination attempt. He doesn't just find him and kill him as he's not 100% sure Oswald did it. It's part detective story, part time travel, and part fish out of water.

I'm debating whether to start this one now or wait until we go on vacation next week. Sounds promising, glad you are enjoying it

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

rlipps wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I'm debating whether to start this one now or wait until we go on vacation next week. Sounds promising, glad you are enjoying it

It's a super easy read. I'm averaging close to 200 pages per day

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
rlipps wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm 500 pages in and really enjoying it. The only supernatural element is time travel (the main character travels from 2011 to 1958, and then must make a life for himself for 4 1/2 years while planning to foil Lee Harvey Oswald's assassination attempt. He doesn't just find him and kill him as he's not 100% sure Oswald did it. It's part detective story, part time travel, and part fish out of water.

It's a super easy read. I'm averaging close to 200 pages per day

I started reading that last Christmas but gave up around the part where he became a high school drama teacher or something (basically the middle third). Does it get better after that? I thought the first third of the book was great and would've made a pretty solid novel on its own.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It starts ramping up quickly when he starts following Oswald

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

I am sure it is in here somewhere but I am just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to Fn' lazy to look (and zip no I don't feel like doing a search either :P ) Besides I have to get ready for Panty Day and well let's face it, that will take both of my little grey cells to work on.

So 50 Shades of Grey?? anyone read it, soft porn, something you can do with a friend of two, worth the read or better wait to see the play????
I just sat through 2 friends going on and on and on about this, whilst referencing sex, sex, sex and more erotica, unfortunately I could't hide my look of ummm yea ok.

So anyone????
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

starting this tonight:

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:A series I would highly recommend is the George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series, aka the "Game of Thrones" books. Got interested in the books thanks to the HBO series (who says TV can't inspire!). Seriously, I loved the books and have read them twice so far.

My normal genre is thrillers, mysteries, and law enforcement-centric writing. I wouldn't even put "historical fiction" on my interest list. The writing is compelling, with intricately woven storylines going on in several countries. The author must have all of this well-plotted in his head, complete with maps and family trees. A glossary on the characters is included after each book. There are maps, as well, but Kindle doesn't reproduce with enough clarity to really show me what's what. Martin's writing device is to write a chapter on a character, get to a good part, and them force you to read on several chapters more to catch back up with said character. He isn't afraid to take bold strokes and all the beloved characters don't survive....he has some supernatural elements throw in. I hesitate to add that because I can't explain it and give it due justice. I'll just say it fits in well with the tenor of the books. The books include knights, lords, kings, swords, battles, dragons, big wolves (dire wolves), dark magic, good magic, treachery, and Machiavellian plotting to take the Iron Throne.

Wish I could make this sound more literary and post some cool pics, but I will stop while I am ahead (and I don't have the pics thing mastered yet). I hope someone on here will read or has read this series. It's awesome. Would love to have a thread on it to geek out with others who have read it, as well. Two caveats: the books blow the show out of the water, although the show is great and you should at least catch the opening sequence which has been described as "steam punk". Also, apparently it took him five or six years to write book five. May be a while for six and seven.....

I've just finished the first book. It's great. Second one on order and hopefully here before I go away on holiday. I see a lot of people are 'cheating' and just watching the TV series.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

dogstar wrote:
SouthCarolinaRed wrote:A series I would highly recommend is the George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series, aka the "Game of Thrones" books. Got interested in the books thanks to the HBO series (who says TV can't inspire!). Seriously, I loved the books and have read them twice so far.

I've just finished the first book. It's great. Second one on order and hopefully here before I go away on holiday. I see a lot of people are 'cheating' and just watching the TV series.

Just got into the series via season one on blu-ray, and wanna check these out. I was kinda hesitant because I haven't been into the sword and sorcery type books since like middle school when I read LOTR and Dragonlance pretty intensely. Its a genre, like westerns, that good novels are few and far between.

Glad you highlighted kindle version. This is what I hate about my Kindle. The complete boxset is $5 more on kindle than physical version. Makes no sense.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Just finished My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Pretty entertaining read. In an odd twist of fate, I got to meet Chuck Levell a few days later. Good guy.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Cole Younger wrote:Just finished My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Pretty entertaining read. In an odd twist of fate, I got to meet Chuck Levell a few days later. Good guy.

trying to decide whether i want to read or not..

finishing Streets of Laredo and starting Steve Earle's book..

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Penny Lane wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Just finished My Cross To Bear by Gregg Allman. Pretty entertaining read. In an odd twist of fate, I got to meet Chuck Levell a few days later. Good guy.

trying to decide whether i want to read or not..

finishing Streets of Laredo and starting Steve Earle's book..

I would be interested to hear what you think about Steve Earle's book. I want to read it myself. Gregg Allman's book won't change your life or anything but it was a decent read. I do feel like I know a lot more about him as a person. And Dickey Betts is something else I tell ya.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't believe I could stomach Gregg Allman's book. Maybe if it wasn't written by him..
I love "Hardcore Troubadour: The Life & Near Death of Steve Earle". I've got "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive" but I ain't cracked it open yet. "Doghouses Roses" is a great collection, too.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I don't believe I could stomach Gregg Allman's book. Maybe if it wasn't written by him..
I love "Hardcore Troubadour: The Life & Near Death of Steve Earle". I've got "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive" but I ain't cracked it open yet. "Doghouses Roses" is a great collection, too.

I'm probably going to regret this but why do you hate Gregg Allman?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:I don't believe I could stomach Gregg Allman's book. Maybe if it wasn't written by him..

cuz snitches get stitches.
Nah, just kiddin' - I love Gregg Allman as a musician, but everything I've read written by him has made him come off as a grade-A douche.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It's also funny that we segued into Steve Earle - another legend who can be a tad douchey at times. I love SE, definitely a top-five artist for me, and I even agree with a lot of his political views, which seems to be the most divisive thing about him - but he can definitely come off as obnoxious.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

cuz snitches get stitches.
Nah, just kiddin' - I love Gregg Allman as a musician, but everything I've read written by him has made him come off as a grade-A douche.

totally agree, Smitty--i can't PIN POINT why i dislike him so much...every interview i've read over the years...(not even as messed up as Ginger Baker, just kind of a dick)..also, i would never approach Steve Earle...(EVER)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Gregg Allman didn't seem so bad in this book. There were a few instances that he did come across as being a jack ass but overall he seemed ok. One thing that I did respect him for was that he didn't make any excuses for the things he's done nor did he try to make himself seem any better than he is. It seemed pretty from the hip to me.

I am interested to read Steve Earle's book but your impression of Gregg Allman has always been my impression of Steve Earle. I love his music but I don't think I would want to meet him.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Steve Earle's book is fiction. You guys know that, right? I read it and it was mediocre. But better than Pete Townshend's book of short stories, Horse's Neck, that came out lo these many years ago.

Can't wait to get my hands on Jay Farrar's book (also of short stories) that will be coming out in the winter. Goes with a Son Volt tour!

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

one belt loop wrote:Steve Earle's book is fiction. You guys know that, right?

I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive? Yup. Doghouse Roses is a collection of short stories, and while they may be fictionalized, some of them (such as the title story) are basically autobiographical.