Music, Etc.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Music, Etc.

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:Some great responses in this thread - been a pleasure to read thru 'em.
Rand McNally is sponsoring the next matchup.
Hey, they are less than ninety miles apart...

DBT's Santa Fe vs. NY's Albuquerque.

I love Patterson's Santa Fe but Albuquerque's got it all. It's tough to compete against a great song from an all-time classic record. Neil wins.

Iowan wrote:Glad you fired it up. These are the best threads.

x2 Keep em coming, Smitty. One a day is great.
Last edited by Clams on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Iowan wrote:

puke

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Iowan wrote:

puke

Cranking it louder.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

30+ years later when I hear the singer in "Rock the Boat" go "a row yeah, a row yeah" it still cracks me up. :D (What can i say? The Hues Corporation follows Howlin Rain in my itunes).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Years ago, someone from the DBTs Yahoo Group posted a clip of the Truckers and Slobberbone (aka "SlobberTruckers") doing "Cortez" but unfortunately, that clip has long since vanished into cyberspace.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:Powderfinger vs. Cortez the Killer (the song) in a no holds barred, no disqualification barbwire bat match.

Apparently "Cortez" is not a good masterbation song. "Powderfinger" certainly sounds like it might work more magic.
(Props to Fool No Where for this find.)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Smitty wrote:Powderfinger vs. Cortez the Killer (the song) in a no holds barred, no disqualification barbwire bat match.

Apparently "Cortez" is not a good masterbation song. "Powderfinger" certainly sounds like it might work more magic.

Not to cast aspersions on your avatar, Cortez, but I believe it was the image of Neil, not so much the song, that was the problem :lol:

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Not to cast aspersions on your avatar, Cortez, but I believe it was the image of Neil, not so much the song, that was the problem :lol:

Go figure. Handsome feller.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

apologies for the rough photoshop...i suck at this sorta thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Well since we're in the general vicinity with all the Shakey talk and we're comparing similar titled songs well then, have at it:

or

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

scotto

Post by scotto »

I used the lyrics from "Cortez the Killer" in my sophomore English class (circa 1976) when we had to read a favorite song to the class as poetry.
That's all I got; carry on...

cortez the killer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Well since we're in the general vicinity with all the Shakey talk and we're comparing similar titled songs well then, have at it:

or

"Like a Hurricane" blows me away every damn time. Truth be told, I've been known to hit the skip button a time or two when "Tornadoes" comes on.
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I always love to hear any version of Cortez the Killer, but it is falsly idealistic. The line about no war or no hate is fantasy. Those Aztecs were some sadistic bastards.No excuse for what the Spanish did though.

cortez the killer

oilpiers wrote:I always love to hear any version of Cortez the Killer, but it is falsly idealistic. The line about no war or no hate is fantasy. Those Aztecs were some sadistic bastards.No excuse for what the Spanish did though.

You mean someone wrote an idealistic song? Imagine that. I wonder if you can.

What the fuck am I doing writing about Aztecs in "Cortez the Killer" like I was there, wandering around? 'Cause I only read about it in a few books. A lotta shit I just made up because it came to me.
- Neil Young
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

cortez the killer wrote:
oilpiers wrote:I always love to hear any version of Cortez the Killer, but it is falsly idealistic. The line about no war or no hate is fantasy. Those Aztecs were some sadistic bastards.No excuse for what the Spanish did though.

What the fuck am I doing writing about Aztecs in "Cortez the Killer" like I was there, wandering around? 'Cause I only read about it in a few books. A lotta shit I just made up because it came to me.
- Neil Young

Great quote. I wasn't so much critisizing him as just pointing it out. Was that from Shakey? I lent that out a few times and am not sure where it is now.

cortez the killer

oilpiers wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

- Neil Young

Great quote. I wasn't so much critisizing him as just pointing it out. Was that from Shakey? I lent that out a few times and am not sure where it is now.

Shakey indeed.

Smell the Horse on this one...
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

I posted a link to this article in the Slobberbone thread as well but given the current topic in this thread I also think it's worth posting here, particularly this quote, which alludes to the Slobberbone/Truckers version of "Cortez" I mentioned earlier. Speaking of which, I'm still somewhat perplexed that our Cortez isn't a Slobberbone fan. I may be wrong about that but it seems like I've seen it mentioned here before. At any rate, the article is about a collection of Slobberbone covers that Brent Best was kind enough to comment on for the Dallas Observer.

This isn't complete, if only because, well, about half the songs on the collection are Neil Young offerings, including a "Cortez the Killer" from Austin in '03 featuring the Truckers. Says Best of that song and the others: "All the Neil stuff was second nature to us. 'Cortez' was good because you got a lotta leeway, depending on how you wanted the night to end. Some versions are nothing but feedback and squalor. ... We never rehearsed much, but we toured a bunch and you'd get bored. So you'd work stuff up in sound check. May be why Crazy Horse is one of my favorite bands. It was all about big notes."

The second to the last time I saw Brent he was with the Drams at the Hideaway BBQ in Raleigh. That night we got a heaping helping of Slobberbone along with a cover of "Winterlong". I sure would love to see 'em back in the Cackalack.

cortez the killer

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm still somewhat perplexed that our Cortez isn't a Slobberbone fan.

Nope. Tried on many occasions. Still not a fan. Must be me.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

"our Cortez"?

I don't claim his Yoda ass ;)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:4sooner vehemently abstains! I dig that about you my friend!

Powderfinger is great but I actually sat through a Dave Matthews Band DVD just to see them cover Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes. What does that tell ya? Oh and apropos of nothing Slobberbone covers both songs with ferocity.

Far Away Eyes is simply one of my favorites of all time. Hard to beat that one.

Cary Hudson also covers this with ferocity.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Dave Rawlings does a great version

The last time I saw Band of Horses they played Powderfinger.

Cortez for me though.

Just as an aside has nayone noticed how the start of Uncle Frank sounds like Pochahontas? Could just be me.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Back by, well zero demand - tonight's match up is:

Drive-By Truckers - "Goodbye"

VS.

Steve Earle - "Goodbye"

Shoot.

sorry patterson, I've gotta hand this one to the hardcore troubadour...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm siding with Steve on this one too.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Years ago, someone from the DBTs Yahoo Group posted a clip of the Truckers and Slobberbone (aka "SlobberTruckers") doing "Cortez" but unfortunately, that clip has long since vanished into cyberspace.
The clip has been found and uploaded to YouTube. It looks like it's been online since February of last year. I figured it would never reappear so at some point I gave up the ghost. This was originally hosted on a site called Yellow Chevy Luv pre-YouTube. It's grainy and blurry but still comes through loud and clear.

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Years ago, someone from the DBTs Yahoo Group posted a clip of the Truckers and Slobberbone (aka "SlobberTruckers") doing "Cortez" but unfortunately, that clip has long since vanished into cyberspace.
The clip has been found and uploaded to YouTube. It looks like it's been online since February of last year. I figured it would never reappear so at some point I gave up the ghost. This was originally hosted on a site called Yellow Chevy Luv pre-YouTube. It's grainy and blurry but still comes through loud and clear.

Thanks for posting this... never heard of Slobberbone before... fucking great version of Cortez!!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Thanks for posting this... never heard of Slobberbone before... fucking great version of Cortez!!
Both times I saw Slobberbone, they closed the show with Rockin' In The Free World. I think it is the best version I've ever heard of that song, including any version of Neil's, and I'm certain it was the fiercest version.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

They toured regularly with the Truckers back in those days. The Manlove Tour (2001?) is the stuff of legend. That said, I never saw the two of them perform together. Slobberbone, who are based out of Denton, TX are still active though shows are sporadic and they haven't released an album's worth of new material since Slippage in 2002. However, they did release a best of last year on New West Records called Bees and Seas. My favorite is their third album, Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today. For more info, dig into this thread.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Came across this while looking for an appropriate existing thread for a question. DBT and Slobberbone teaming up on Cortez the Killer. Happy for/jealous of all of you Shoalsfest attendees this weekend!

Now what the hell was my question?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

litdimly wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:34 pm
Came across this while looking for an appropriate existing thread for a question. DBT and Slobberbone teaming up on Cortez the Killer. Happy for/jealous of all of you Shoalsfest attendees this weekend!

Thanks for the blast from the past. Speaking of which, good to see ya. And here's hoping the rain holds off this wkend in the Shoals.

Perhaps you were wondering when Warren Zevon will get into the RnR Hall of Fame? Or who had the greater impact, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson? Or which version of DBT is the best one? Or why did Shonna leave the band? Or is Bob Dylan a great singer? John or Paul? Levon or Robbie?...

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am
litdimly wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks for the blast from the past. Speaking of which, good to see ya. And here's hoping the rain holds off this wkend in the Shoals.

Perhaps you were wondering when Warren Zevon will get into the RnR Hall of Fame? Or who had the greater impact, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson? Or which version of DBT is the best one? Or why did Shonna leave the band? Or is Bob Dylan a great singer? John or Paul? Levon or Robbie?...
Or why anyone would listen to that awful band, The Weight?
- DPM