Music, Etc.

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Music, Etc.

Post by Smitty »

Couldn't find the original thread. Post random shit that probably ain't worth starting a whole thread about.

Powderfinger vs. Cortez the Killer (the song) in a no holds barred, no disqualification barbwire bat match.
Now that's a tough call.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Re: Music, Etc.

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:Couldn't find the original thread. Post random shit that probably ain't worth starting a whole thread about.

Powderfinger vs. Cortez the Killer (the song) in a no holds barred, no disqualification barbwire bat match.
Now that's a tough call.

For me it's powderfinger and it's not close.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Drunk: Powderfinger. Stoned: Cortez. Sober: Powderfinger

But I still think Cortez might be better. Not sure how much sense that makes.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

this is where i gotta draw the line.
No vote from me.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

One song has someone dancing across the water. The other song has the people bound to a boat. Dancing across the water trumps being bound to a boat.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:Drunk: Powderfinger. Stoned: Cortez. Sober: Powderfinger

I totally understand. Other than having sex, listening to Cortez may be my favorite thing to do while stoned. The music tells a story just as epic as the music. I could live without the Who or LZ, but neither Powderfinger or Cortez
The next round would be a nine-ball game, with Roll Another Number For the Road facing off against Faraway Eyes. Faraway Eyes gets to break.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Drunk: Powderfinger. Stoned: Cortez. Sober: Powderfinger

I totally understand. Other than having sex, listening to Cortez may be my favorite thing to do while stoned. The music tells a story just as epic as the music. I could live without the Who or LZ, but neither Powderfinger or Cortez
The next round would be a nine-ball game, with Roll Another Number For the Road facing off against Faraway Eyes. Faraway Eyes gets to break.

I'm a bigger Stones fan than a Neil fan, but Roll Another Number takes it running away. Hell, I love Faraway Eyes, but Neil's tongue isn't as far in his cheek as Mick's is.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A long time ago Far Away Eyes was one of my favorite Stones songs, and that probably explains a lot about how I wound up here on 3dd. The Stones over Neil by a mile on this one. Well, the preacher kept right on sayin' that all I had to do...
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

4sooner vehemently abstains! I dig that about you my friend!

Powderfinger is great but I actually sat through a Dave Matthews Band DVD just to see them cover Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes. What does that tell ya? Oh and apropos of nothing Slobberbone covers both songs with ferocity.

Far Away Eyes is simply one of my favorites of all time. Hard to beat that one.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I find these results surprising in ways I'm not sure i can articulate.

For me it's "Cortez" over "Powderfinger" by a knockout well before the 10th round. I recognize that this is just personal preference, not some kind of definitive analysis, but to me Cortez is titanic (relax, man, I'm talking about the song), Powderfinger is "merely" great.

"Far Away Eyes" is a great song. What makes it great is that it is a note perfect parody that is so note perfect that it gets beyond parody to an extent. "Roll Another Number" is not perfect but it's not a parody, either. I'll take the latter.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:Well, the preacher kept right on sayin' that all I had to do...

Some great lines in that song Clammer. However, the following might be one of my all-time favorite openings to song:
It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition
And the mornin' sun is yet to climb my hood ornament.

Not that the bald lyrics are all that amazing. It's the manner which with Ol' Shakey delivers them.

Two outstanding songs, but Numbers > Eyes.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:4sooner vehemently abstains! I dig that about you my friend!

Powderfinger is great but I actually sat through a Dave Matthews Band DVD just to see them cover Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes. What does that tell ya? Oh and apropos of nothing Slobberbone covers both songs with ferocity.

Far Away Eyes is simply one of my favorites of all time. Hard to beat that one.

I actually had the privilege of seeing Dave Matthews Band play Cortez with Ol' Shakey himself.

Blew my 19 year old mind right out of its' casing.

I love the Central Park DVD. I realize that they aren't a well liked band around here, but that DVD does a pretty good job of showing that they're more versatile than just another run-of-the-mill frat-boy jamband.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Actually Iowan, you're right it's not a bad DVD but it did take that performance of CTK for me to watch it. I don't hate Matthews, I think he's very talented, but I also think he's a lazy artist just making the music his fans want to hear. If the dude ever said fuck it and did something completely different it would be very interesting.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Actually Iowan, you're right it's not a bad DVD but it did take that performance of CTK for me to watch it. I don't hate Matthews, I think he's very talented, but I also think he's a lazy artist just making the music his fans want to hear. If the dude ever said fuck it and did something completely different it would be very interesting.

Yeah, I agree. That concert was the closest they've come to really pushing themselves. They stretched out a lot with the Busted Stuff album, but it was sort of too little too late. Of their 4 albums, 2 have been complete and utter shit, one has been really good, and the other has been decent.

I don't listen to them much these days (just too much music out there) but I actually watched the Central Park DVD this past weekend for the first time in a couple years, and it reminded me how much I liked it. A little synchronicity that it came up in today's discussion.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That DMB/Haynes version is fucking amazing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:That DMB/Haynes version is fucking amazing

The Neil Young & coked-out Crazy Horse 2.0 version is so much better it tickles - the balls, the soul, the armpits, the tits, the taint - it tickles it all - Where are you ticklish?. Poncho earned his Crazy Horse stripes on it. Nuff said.

"Horse Back" whispers to you, pulls you closer and kicks you in the balls. You're asking questions and Neil & The Horse just keep beating you over the head pretending nothing happended. Essence of The Horse.

"Smell The Horse on this one."
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:

The Neil Young & coked-out Crazy Horse 2.0 version is so much better it tickles - the balls, the soul, the armpits, the tits, the taint - it tickles it all - Where are you ticklish?. Poncho earned his Crazy Horse stripes on it. Nuff said.

The only Neil version I have is the original (Zuma).
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:

"Horse Back" whispers to you, pulls you closer and kicks you in the balls. You're asking questions and Neil & The Horse just keep beating you over the head pretending nothing happended. Essence of The Horse.

this post has been awarded a blue ribbon

cortez the killer

tinnitus photography wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

50% of the credit goes to "Bigfoot."
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:The Neil Young & coked-out Crazy Horse 2.0 version is so much better it tickles - the balls, the soul, the armpits, the tits, the taint - it tickles it all - Where are you ticklish?. Poncho earned his Crazy Horse stripes on it. Nuff said.

50% of the credit goes to "Bigfoot."

You forgot your agent, your parents and the gay high school teacher who inspired you.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:You forgot your agent, your parents and the gay high school teacher who inspired you.

But they didn't get me drunk.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:You forgot your agent, your parents and the gay high school teacher who inspired you.

But they didn't get me drunk.

In at least one of those cases that alone is worth a thank you.

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Some great responses in this thread - been a pleasure to read thru 'em.
Rand McNally is sponsoring the next matchup.
Hey, they are less than ninety miles apart...

DBT's Santa Fe vs. NY's Albuquerque.

cortez the killer

Well, they say that Santa Fe is less than ninety miles away
And I got time to roll a number and rent a car
Oh, Albuquerque
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:The Neil Young & coked-out Crazy Horse 2.0 version is so much better it tickles - the balls, the soul, the armpits, the tits, the taint - it tickles it all - Where are you ticklish?. Poncho earned his Crazy Horse stripes on it. Nuff said.

I wanted that to soar and blow my hair back. The slow burn is fine, but what I like about the Haynes/Matthews version is the scaled up intensity. There's something to be said for restraint, but I was coming into it with different expectations.

In case anyone wanted to check out the version TC, Zip and myself have been raving about (and hasn't heard it yet):

Holy shit moments:
-4:30 mark
-7:00-7:40ish
Last edited by Iowan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Some great responses in this thread - been a pleasure to read thru 'em.
Rand McNally is sponsoring the next matchup.
Hey, they are less than ninety miles apart...

DBT's Santa Fe vs. NY's Albuquerque.

Colorado lines are down, Des Moines' an underwater town. Don't know what it is I thought I'd find out here

cortez the killer

Tough to completely take off when it's a YouTube video through shitty computer speakers I suppose. I love how Ralph starts drumming "Fuckin' Up" as it nears an end.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:Tough to completely take off when it's a YouTube video through shitty computer speakers I suppose. I love how Ralph starts drumming "Fuckin' Up" as it nears an end.

The last 2 minutes are the best.

Its a great version of one of Shakey's best tunes, but I suppose I was looking for something a little different when I fired it up. That's a "me" problem.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Some great responses in this thread - been a pleasure to read thru 'em.

Glad you fired it up. These are the best threads.