Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Post by Clams »

As you guys know, I'm turning over the "artist of the week" reigns to Tequila Cowboy. Penny Lane's thread on Strand of Oaks last week was supposed to be the end of the run. But one day last week I happened to be rocking out on my iPod to a tune called Loose by Ray Wylie Hubbard, and I had an epiphany: AOTW cannot die without a thread on Ray Wylie.

3DD's resident Ray Wylie expert is 4sooner. Rick agreed to get a thread up on short notice but unfortunately he had some technical diffulties yesterday. So I'm gonna get it started here on my lunch hour and 4sooner has promised to add some insights, cool stories, vids, etc during the week.

For those of you who don't know Ray Wylie, he's kind of an elder statesman of the Americana and Texas music scenes. He plays a mean guitar - all bluesy and greasy. He's also a helluva songwriter. Here are some RWH links:

Ray's website (which is run by his wife Judy): http://raywylie.com/

A Truer Sound has a TON of good Ray Wylie stuff. Live shows, old studio stuff, vids, discussions about lyrics, show reviews etc. Here's everything they've got with a Ray Wylie tag: http://atruersound.com/?tag=ray-wylie-hubbard
They've also got a post with an excellent Ray Wylie sampler from a couple years ago. The post is here: http://atruersound.com/?p=102 and the sampler is here: http://depositfiles.com/files/clcgldevh
Just for kicks, one of my favorite ATS posts about Ray Wylie is from a year or two ago where they posted a Youtube that shows the "proper" way for a woman to dance to the song Snake Farm:

Here are my favorite Ray Wylie songs (inpo):
Loose
Ballad of the Crimson Kings
Snake Farm
Three Days Straight
Rock and Roll is a Vicious Game

A cool thing about Ray Wylie is that he's always associated with 3DD royalty: he's got a great cover of McMurtry's Choctaw Bingo, he cowrote Drunken Poet's Dream with Hayes Carll, he hangs with Willie, he played with Blaze Foley (who was immortalized in Lucinda Williams' song Drunken Angel) and he started his career writing and playing with Jerry Jeff Walker. He's even played shows with Guy Clark and TVZ (read the write up and download the bootleg here: http://atruersound.com/?p=273). So in case you're still not sure... Ray Wylie Hubbard is the real deal.

Also... Ray Wylie doesn't just sound badass, he looks it too:

I'll leave you with one thing about Ray Wylie that pisses me off: he rarely tours outside of Texas and hardly ever up here in the northeast. :evil:
Last edited by Clams on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

My introduction to Ray Wylie Hubbard (as well as Gary P. Nunn) was because of Jerry Jeff's ¡Viva Terlingua! album but it wasn't until years later that I actually bought a Ray Wylie Hubbard record (Growl). It wasn't until well after that that I finally got to see him in concert. 5-6 years ago or so, he came to the Hideaway BBQ in Raleigh on a bill with Sarah Borges.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LOL, I saw "AOTW - Ray Wylie Hubbard" and thought "oh, 4sooner is back" :) :)

Everything is as you say, Clams. The real deal indeed.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

First off, many thanks to clams for jumping in and covering for my dumb ass and getting this aotw profile going. I've been promising him I'd cover RWH for quite awhile now and just was not able to get to it til now. Got a long profile written up, hit submit and the whole thing disappeared. :shock: Frustrated, I asked him to get it going and I would add what I could. And big props to him for heading up this thread all this time. it's been a GREAT feature.

In the summer of 1976 some older HS friends of mine loaded me up and took my 17 yr old ass to The High Horse Tavern on Lindsey St in Norman Ok.I had just graduated that spring and was in the process of moving to Norman for my freshman year of college. "you've heard of Ray Wylie Hubbard, youknow Up Against the Wall Redneck Mlother? Well he plays the High Horse a couple times a month and it's a fuckin party!"
Man, were they ever right. Ray and his Cowboy Twinkies played all over norman during that time. Lead guitarist Terry Buffalo Ware, who still plays live shows with him up here, is a Norman native and it was their second home back then. I don't remember very many shows back then that someone in our group didnt have to be bailed out of jail before we went home. Drunk & disorderly was the perfect fit back then. Those guys played everything from the newly named "Outlaw Country" to smokin LZ covers.Probably the first true cowpunk band, though that term was yet to be coined.

To truly appreciate RWH, you have got to find a way to see him live. I love his records but until you see his show you have only enjoyed about 1/2 of what this great entertainer has to offer. As we go thru the week I'll feature some of his recorded work, ;point you to some of my personal favorites and try to get across the sense of humor and genuine nature of this songwriting legend.
More to come...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My favorite RWH song is still Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother. Its funny, catchy, and just classic outlaw country at its finest.

Ray Wylie is truly the real deal.

Edit: his cover of Choctaw Bingo is FILTHY

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Iowan wrote:My favorite RWH song is still Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother. Its funny, catchy, and just classic outlaw country at its finest.

Ray Wylie is truly the real deal.

Edit: his cover of Choctaw Bingo is FILTHY

It is a great song. Havent seen him play it for years, but here he is telling the story (as only he can do) at Jerry Jeff's birthday bash last year. JJW himself is crackin up in this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24C4NY0ga8

In 1975 his record co. sent him to Nashville to record his first album Ray Wylie Hubbard & The Cowboy Twinkies. It was overproduced and not representative at all of Ray's sound. I had already seen him live before I heard the album and it just didnt do it for me. Didn't do it for him either. It was re released this past year in spite of his objections. In fact he advised his fans not to buy it.
In 1978 He hired The Lost Gonzo Band away from Jerry Jeff. As he would say later "those guys are great musicians, but their career decision making has to be questioned." :lol:
Except for the occasional live show I kind of lost track of him for the next few years. There was no internet to keep up with him or order his records or for that matter even be aware that there was a new one out.
In '92 he released Lost Train Of Thought. It included the tunes When She Sang Amazing Grace, Portales, Love In vain, and the first release of Wanna Rock & Roll. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjfusLS- ... st_related

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

4sooner wrote: Got a long profile written up, hit submit and the whole thing disappeared. :shock:

So I'm not the only one.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

LBRod wrote:
4sooner wrote: Got a long profile written up, hit submit and the whole thing disappeared. :shock:

So I'm not the only one.

I've had that happen to me on more than one occasion in the past. I obviously don't do it for every individual post but if I've got something of length that I want to work on, I'll do it in Word (or a similar program) so that I'll at least have a back up copy in case it gets sucked into the vapors of cyberspace.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Okay this is very cool. As I mentioned at the top of the thread, Ray Wylie's wife Judy runs his website and she periodically emails a Ray Wylie Hubbard newsletter. In the past I've emailed Judy to plead for RWH to come north for some shows. Though I'm still waiting for those shows, Judy has always been very kind in her emails. So the other day I emailed her with a link to this thread to let her and Ray know that they've got some fans here on 3DD. Well they were so pleased to be informed of this, that Ray Wylie has offered to contribute to the thread by answering any questions that we submit to him via email. In other words... We basically get to interview Ray Wylie Hubbard right here in our artist of the week thread. How cool is that???

Judy says that Ray is presently busy in the studio making a new record, but that he'd be happy to answer our questions when he's got some free time around Christmas. The easiest way to do this is for you guys to send me PM's with your questions, and then after a couple of weeks I'll send them to Judy. Ray can take his time answering them, and when she emails me back with his answers, I'll post them here in the thread.

Guys, I'm really gonna need your help with this. I'm not a writer and I've never interviewed anyone before. And while I love Ray Wylie's music, I'm far from an expert. So I'm asking all of you RWH fans to pitch in. If you're into Ray's music, please send me questions. Likewise, I know we have some professional writers (Pearlysnaps, Lurleen and Crustyharp come to mind) and bloggers here, and also professional musicians (Jimmyjack) and many guitarists, and I know y'all know your music and how to ask good questions. So please don't be shy!! Send me your questions! Thanks...

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Wow!!

From Delirium Tremolos, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0DtywsSW4

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Great thread! Clams, ask him if he's still kickin' hippies asses & raisin' hell.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

In 1994 RWH realeased Loco Gringos Lament. Although it contains a more revved up version of Wanna Rock & Roll than the one that appeared on Lost Train Of Thought, this album is much more introspective and somewhat darker-lyrically- than it's predecessor. There seems to be much more focus on the songs themselves, with good reason. This album is probably still my favorite. The songs that need the full band treatment get it from an incredible group of Austin's finest.
The legendary Lloyd Maines produces and plays Acoustic guitar, dobro, slide, pedal steel, about anything that has strings. Bob Livingston, Paul Pearcy, Lisa Mednick also contribute. Also his ol Cowboy Twinkie, Terry "Buffalo"Ware works his guitar magic on this record. Ray credits Ware this way on this record:
"Undying thanks to Terry Buffalo Ware. Besides being my favorite militant Okie guitar player and tearing off little fragments of his soul to color the songs,he's my friend."
I quote that to emphasize the point of what a real, genuine person this guy is. It comes thru in his music lyrically and in live performance. Here is one of my favorite RWH songs of all time. It closes out this record.

The Messenger
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla ... %26quot%3B

Clams

Post by Clams »

Folks, I'm still collecting questions for the Ray Wylie interview. Please PM them to me asap.

And a great big huge THANK YOU to Crustyharp, Pearlysnaps and Lurleen for not only their questions but also their collective wisdom and guidance. 8-)

Sub

Post by Sub »

Id help with the questions cause its cool as hell hes doing this but im just not familiar with him enough to be able to add much.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ray Wylie is IN THE HOUSE!!

Q & A to be posted soon. 8-)

Clams

Post by Clams »

First off, I want to sat THANK YOU to Ray Wylie and his wife Judy for getting this Q & A done. They both obviously put a lot of time and effort into it, and that's just so cool. Because really, we're just a bunch of DBT freaks on a message board and they don't owe us anything. But they both went above and beyond, so thanks! Also thanks to Pearlysnaps, Crustyharp and Lurleen for helping me out with ideas and questions, and also thanks to those of you who submitted questions for Ray. Without further adieu...

Rumor has it you're working on a new record. What's it called and what can you tell us about it? When will it be released?
i felt their was a need for a hymnal for grifters so its called "The Grifter's Hymnal. its tunnels its way out and sees daylight march 27

Did you record solo or with a band? If it was recorded with a band, who are you playing with these days?
i used my guys rick richards on drums, george reiff on bass (who produced it with me), on guitar i had billy cassis, audley freed, lucas hubbard, brad rice. ian mclagen played piano and ringo starr sang, played shakers and guitar on a track.

Does the record have any kind of central theme?
its got spiritual references as seen from the eyes of a lowdown gambling slide guitar playing moaning hollaring wore out old songwriter.

Care to reveal any song titles or lyrics?
some of the titles are coricidin bottle, lazarus, new years eve at the gates of hell, red badge of courage and mother blues. well as far as lyrics; "said my prayers to the old black gods, tied a string around some chicken bones, set 'em on fire and crossed my heart, tuned up the kay and the silvertone" from coricidin bottle: "saw a black crow on a fence post, singing away like sam hopkins ghost, he sang 'when you see i ain't breathing no more, nail my feather to the old barn door' from "count my blessings."

Did you write all of the songs yourself or did you collaborate with anyone?
all by me except "hen house" i wrote with matt king. "train yard" with liz foster, "moss and flowers" wth charlie shafter.

Will there be any covers on it?
"coochy, coochy" by richard starkey.

Do you plan to tour beyond your home turf of Texas in support of the new record? (Like maybe a show in Philadelphia, PA? -- hint, hint). If so, will it be solo or with a band?
i'm at the age where its get the gig, then get a band. so either me and rick, or me rich and lucas or me rick, lucas and george is the configuration. we will come east.

It's no secret that you were never pleased with the "Nashville slick" recording and production of your 1975 breakthrough record Cowboy Twinkies. In fact, last year when it was re-released, you took to the internet to implore your fans not to by it. Do any recordings or outtakes exist of the songs as you recorded them back in 1975?
If so, is there any chance that they could be released in the future? Have you ever considered re-recording the record today, either with some of the original bandmembers or with a new band?
man, i don't know. i would love to record that album again so as to hand it to people looking them in the eye without winching but just don't have the cash to do that right now. maybe someday...nah. i probably wont.

Can you talk about the blessing/curse of penning Jerry Jeff Walker's 70's hit "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother"? What has that song meant to you over the years?
it fits in the arsenal now, but when it came out, i'd play a place and walk on stage and the crowd would shout play "redneck mother." i play it and finish and say "here's another song i wrote..." and the crowd would yell, "play 'redneck mother' again." some places i perform now, the young'uns don't even know that song.

Looking back on your career, which of your own songs mean the most to you and why?
i guess "the messenger." i read rilke's "letters to a young poet" at age 41 and starting taking guitar lessons to learn how to finger pick. i paraphrased rilke's idea of princess and the dragon and wrote it"our fears are like dragons guarding our most precious treasures" to make it rhyme and have had a number of people tell me how much that song has meant to them.

What are some of your favorite songs and bands of all time? bands:
buffalo springfield, the beatles, the stones, small faces, the eagles after joe walsh joined them; songs: "snowing on raton", "hard rains gonna fall." "elanor rigby," "ventilator blues."

Over the years, what artists and bands have been influential to you and your music and why?
spider, snaker and little son, michael murphy, lightnin hopkins, dylan, the stones, gurf morlix/

What type of music and bands do you listen to these days?
i dig the black angels, dbt, jonathan tyler and the northern lights, the kills, the hummingbirds, scott h. birum, javi garcia.

What were some of your favorite records from 2011?
Hayes carll’s kmag yoyo of course, ray bonneville: bad man's blood;

Who have been your favorite guitar players over the years?
lightnin, mance, son house, fred macdowell, billy cassis, bugs henderson.

I've heard rumors that you are working on your memoirs.
How did this project come to be? Can you talk about when and in what format this project might be released? How hard is it to remember details about things that happened so long ago? (I read Life by Keith Richards and it's hard to believe he's got such a good memory!). If you were going to choose a title for your memoirs, what would it be and why?
well, i was telling thom jurek at all music guide about meeting muddy waters in omaha in 72 and he said i should write it down so i did and he encouraged me to email him all this stuff that happened to me and he punctuated it and capitalized words and stuff. he says its like tom sawyer mixed with the matrix and blue velvet. the title i had judy didn't care for so i gotta come up with a new one. the old working title was " a tired old whore still turning tricks" but that is not to be.

Do you have any hobbies, interests, sports, etc that help keep you occupied besides music?
well, i do read a lot. i mean a lot. i like designing guitars. a luthier here in wimberley named tony nobles has built some i drew up and they are just great. he and i are "the devil's backbone guitar company" he made guitars for alejandro escavida, joe walsh, chelle rose, jeff plankenhorn, me and is so good.

A lot of the people who post on 3DD are big fans of Hayes Carll, with whom you wrote Drunken Poet's Dream. How did the two of you meet and how did you two come to write songs together?
wrecks bell who townes wrote rex's blues runs the old quarter club in galveston and asked if this kid hayes could open my show down there. i get there and hayes is waiting to go on and i come up to him and say, "you better be good. my crowd will eat you alive if you're not. i have had numerous opening acts quit half way though their set and walk off stage almost in tears." hayes looked at me, walked out on stage and said "here's a song i wrote called "Mississippi flush" and then played "mississippe flush" which i wrote. he killed. so i had a tour with slaid coming up and called him and said lets take this kid on the road with us. he can open for us and carry our gear.
hayes called me one day and said i got a line for a song: i got a woman who's wild as rome. i said, " she likes being naked and gazed upon.

Has working with Hayes had any affect on your songwriting or playing? Conversely, what impact do you think you've had on his career?
hayes keeps me hungry. when i hear his stuff, i know i can't slide. he keeps raising the bar. well, i did teach hayes some finger picking patterns and that might have had an impact.

Do you have plans to collaborate with Hayes again? Are there any other up-and-comers with whom you have plans to collaborate?
i would like to but he's kept his songwriting muscle strong so we have no plans as of now. i would like to write with jonanthan tyler. i just wrote two songs with this up and comer...i think his name was joe walsh. hes got some teeth.

Given how fame and fortune in the music biz are so disconnected from talent and achievement, what words of wisdom would you give to an up-and-coming songwriter or musician?
it may not be about the number of records you sell or even being famous. it might be about earning the respect of musicians you respect.

Have you given any thought to the fact that you're becoming, for lack of a better term, an "elder statesman" for Americana/blues/rock/alt-country music? Does that mean anything to you? Do you have any thoughts about what your music might mean to the younger generation of artists and music fans?
well, i didn't want to peak too soon. i would kill myself before i became a nostalgia act or went to branson. i feel i still got a rock attitude with a folk singer's social conscience wrapped around a blues man heart and would hope that the younger generation would form bands that write important songs that are a little dangerous.

The guitar freaks want to know: What guitars are you playing these days? What have been your favorite electric and acoustic guitars over the years? What type of set-up do you use when playing live?
my amps are a 63 brown tolex fender super and 65 princeton reverb and an old 1952 bell&howell speaker with a stromberg/carlson amplifier in it. i got a 1957 silver tone thin twin, 1958 martin d-18e (like kurt cobaine use on mtv uplugged), a 1965 j50 with a dearmond pickup, a 1937 gibson L37, a 1929 gibson HG22, a 1959 es335 gibson reissue and a 31 style o national resonator. the only pedals i use electric is two alan durham sex drives. acoustic i play a 12 fret devils's backbone small body i designed and tony nobles built through a bags venue pedal through a demeter tube direct box to a california blond amp with a extension speaker.

I've read that Stevie Ray Vaughn was instrumental in your becoming clean and sober. How did SRV help you sober up? Were you close with him? Did you two ever record or perform together? Can you tell us anything about him on a personal level?
we never recorded or played together but we did stay awake longer than anybody else in austin for a few days. after my dad died and i realized i was an orphan at 37 i crossed the line into isms and addictions. though a mutual friend stevie and a guy named b.c. did what some refer as a 12 step call. he shared his experience me. i couldn't see living with out dope and whiskey and asked him what it was like not to drink and do drugs. he said when he quit drinking, he was like he took off a pair of boxing gloves and could really play the guitar. i said you could really play the guitar before you got sober. he said yeah but there was this wall between me and what i was doing that i didn't know was there till i quit.

Since we're coming to you from a message board devoted to the Drive-By Truckers, I have to ask... are you a fan? Have you ever crossed paths with the Truckers? Do you have any favorite DBT records or songs? Do you have any anecdotes or interesting stories that relate to DBT?
i have never crossed paths with those guys but am a huge fan. traci thomas raved about them and turned me on to them and after i heard their records i knew their souls were in the right place and rock and roll had been burned into their heart and head and hands and throat and was in good hands.

Finally, here are a couple of random questions to wind this up...
Do you and/or your family have any connection to Lake Ray Hubbard near Dallas or are the names just a coincidence?
nope. i believe it was named after someone in the dallas park department. i should know but i don't.

Since we're starting out a new year, do you have any resolutions for 2012?
i resolve to come to philly and catch a DBT show.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

Wicked! You pulled the string and let him roll nicely there, Clams. Good one.
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

EXCELLENT job clams.
You took this thing by the horns when that unnamed lazy bastard dropped the ball. ;)
Ray is truly a good guy. Very cool interview.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

alsum, Clams!
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Well done, Clams as well as everyone else that contributed to the interview. I enjoyed reading every bit of it but especially the part I quoted below. Brad Rice used to be in a number of NC bands including the Backsliders and Whiskeytown. He's also been a member of Tift Merritt, Chip Robinson (Backsliders) and Ryan Adams' backing bands over the years. On the Audley Freed tip, I just read where he'll be playing in Kevn Kinney's band when they play the Local 506 in Chapel Hill later this month. I was already looking forward to that. Now, I'm looking forward to it even more (as well as the new Ray Wylie record).

Clams wrote:Did you record solo or with a band? If it was recorded with a band, who are you playing with these days?
i used my guys rick richards on drums, george reiff on bass (who produced it with me), on guitar i had billy cassis, audley freed, lucas hubbard, brad rice. ian mclagen played piano and ringo starr sang, played shakers and guitar on a track.

dime in the gutter

Re: Artist of the Week - 12/6/11 - Ray Wylie Hubbard **REPRI

Post by dime in the gutter »

superb.

outstanding job, clams.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Loved it!

Thanks, Clams and Co.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Awesome Clams! Just awesome.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

holy smokes! boy did i just get some education! how did i not know this guy?

clams--this was awesome

PS---get those pretzels ready!

Since we're starting out a new year, do you have any resolutions for 2012?
i resolve to come to philly and catch a DBT show.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Clams, 3DD artist liaison extraordinaire. Nice work!
Not forever, just for now.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Excellent interview Clams! Great job. Very nice work indeed.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Kudzu Guillotine

Ray Wylie Hubbard on Austin Pickers circa 1984.

Kudzu Guillotine

Ray Wylie Hubbard Daytrotter session. Click on the image to go to the Daytrotter site.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Ray just posted a link to this thread on his Twitter acct and Facebook page. 8-)