what kind of rig are you playing these days?

The place for discussing how to play the songs. Broken out by album. --

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

psychobillycadillac

Re: what kind of rig are you playing these days?

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Rolan speaks the truth! Just when I start to think that I'm getting happy with my current lineup, something else always seems to come along and catch my eye. My standard response to anyone asking me why I have so many different guitars has always been, "because I don't have one of those (yet)". :twisted:

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Hey Razorback, what are you dialing in on the telecaster and amp to get that Patterson tone? I'd love to steal that tone.

Razorback

Post by Razorback »

UncleFrank1990 wrote:Hey Razorback, what are you dialing in on the telecaster and amp to get that Patterson tone? I'd love to steal that tone.
Well, my setup has changed a bunch since then. I now have a Marshall Class 5 with a Bad Monkey OD through it, since it's a single channel amp and it has to be LOUD to acheive good gain.

I was playing the Tele at the middle position through my old solid state amp when I thought I was getting close to PH's tone. On that particular amp, a Crate GX220, I was just turning up the high/mid and backing the bass off and using reverb as needed and I might have rolled the tone back just a hair on the guitar. I haven't used that setup in so long, that might not be right.

In addition to the new amp, I upgraded the guts of my Epi LP. CTS 500K pots, Russian K40Y9 capacitors and 50's wiring. I was so pleased with the new results that I've kept the stock Epi humbuckers in the guitar. It sounds so good. Also, had it setup professionally. I'm now getting a good bluesy, classic rock type tone. I might attempt to dial in the PH sound with this setup as well. I'll probably start at the middle position again.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Guitars:
AVRI '52 Tele
AVRI '62 Jaguar
ES333 - loaded with Lindy Fralin PAF-type pup's

Amp:
Deluxe Reverb RI - "modded" with tubes from TubeAmpDoctor.

Pedals (on the board right now):
Durham Mucho Boosto
Proco RAT2 (my first pedal, since 1990)
Retro sonic compressor
Retro sonic analig delay
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Miallmon

Post by Miallmon »

Reverend Club King w P90's
Reverend Fatroc 15th Anniversary w. Revtrons
MIM Strat (soon to have gold Lace pickups)
MIM Tele (soon to have Tex specials)

Fender Hot Rod Deville Amp

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

1) Lotus Amigo 3/4 size nylon string acoustic. Strung whole step down, bends are so easy :P
2) Fender Squier Strat Affinity (3 single coil pickups) w/ Fender Frontman Reverb 15 Amp. Strung whole step down. Overdrive doesn't really do anything, just makes it really loud. Any tips to get the DBT sound?
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

It's not much, but it's mine. A 2006 Highway 1 Tele with Tone Rider Hot Classics, compensated brass saddles and a 4-way switch into a VOX AC4TV with an MXI Custom Badass 78' Distortion pedal for added grit and sustain.

You know what they say about basement rockstars...there's nowhere to go but UP!
Not forever, just for now.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

^^^^Nice! :)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

1. Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute
2. MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS w Lace Sensor PIckups
3. Vox Valvetronix VT20+ modeling amp

Seriously considering trading the Strat in on a Gibson SG Standard. Everytime I go to Guitar Center I hustle over and pull an SG off the wall. Really need one lol!

Also need to pick up a decent acoustic. Still researching exactly what I want in an acoustic guitar.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

1965 Fender Bassman head
1964 Bandmaster Cabinet loaded with Weber Speakers
MIM Fender Telecaster
MIM Deluxe active Jazz Bass
Epiphone A body mandolin
Guild True American Acoustic
Plus a bunch of other stuff not worth listing...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

psychobillycadillac

Barely_Oakely wrote:1965 Fender Bassman head
1964 Bandmaster Cabinet loaded with Weber Speakers
MIM Fender Telecaster
MIM Deluxe active Jazz Bass
Epiphone A body mandolin
Guild True American Acoustic
Plus a bunch of other stuff not worth listing...

You need to bring that Bassman rig to homecoming next year! It's cool to see all the rigs that have been posted and talked about since this thread got started. I've been in pedal aquisition mode here lately, it feels like I've been paying Fulltone 's light bill! If y'all are looking for a good drive pedal to help get that dirty growling tone check out the Fulltone OCD. It's super responsive and cleans up nicely depending on your vol knob setting and your pic attack.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Question. What's homecoming?

My bassman kicks a serious amount of ass if I may say so. Found it for a steal at a music-go-round and had it nearly completely rebuilt. Found a bandmaster cabinet to go under it until I get around to finding a matching bassman cabinet. There's just something about a Fender tube amp...
The fulltone OCD is a great pedal, my room mate has one.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Question. What's homecoming?

Homecoming is DBT's annual 3 day gig in Athens, GA at the 40 Watt Club. Happens in January.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Minneapolis to Athens would be quite a hike...

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Barely_Oakely wrote:Minneapolis to Athens would be quite a hike...

People drive from Wisconsin.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

psychobillycadillac

it's a true right of passage for any Truckers fan. We also have several fans from Europe fly in for the weekend as well. I look forward to each new one for months leading up to it and am then hugely depressed as soon as its done. It's like Christmas, The 4th of July, losing your virginity and your 21st birthday all rolled into one. :P

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Recently traded in my MIM Fender Strat on a 2012 SG Standard in Heritage Cherry w/ coil splitting. Gorgeous guitar with a fast neck. Having quite a bit of fun with it lately.

psychobillycadillac

Nice! Does it have one of the new baked maple fretboards and the Burstbucker pickups?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

psychobillycadillac wrote:Nice! Does it have one of the new baked maple fretboards and the Burstbucker pickups?

No it has the 490R/498T combo pickups and a rosewood fretboard. My Les Paul has a baked maple fretboard. The baked maple gets a lot of hate on Gibson msg boards but I don't mind it at all.

psychobillycadillac

brett27295 wrote:
psychobillycadillac wrote:Nice! Does it have one of the new baked maple fretboards and the Burstbucker pickups?

No it has the 490R/498T combo pickups and a rosewood fretboard. My Les Paul has a baked maple fretboard. The baked maple gets a lot of hate on Gibson msg boards but I don't mind it at all.

Very cool, I like that p/up combo too. I think the baked maple hate debate is way out of line. In an ideal world we would all have fretboards made from brazillian rosewood or black as night ebony but it's just not going to happen after what the government did to Gibson w/ the seizure of their materials. I sat down with a dozen Gibson guitars both the baked maple boards and a mixture of rosewoods and i couldn't tell a distinguishable difference between the two. At least not not enough from a non-tonal standpoint to make enough of a difference to me. I read an article not long ago where Joe Bonamassa did the same thing and he didn't find enough of a difference to pitch a bitch either.

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Well, I got bored over the weekend, and tired of the tone of the stock pickups in my mim Telecaster, so I ripped everything out, slapped on a vintage 3 saddle bridge, and put in a Custom shop Texas Tele bridge pickup and a twisted tele neck pickup. An our and a half with a soldering iron and a screw driver and I took my guitar from a toy to a real piece of work. I'm blown away with the improvement in tone. After work I'll check the intonation, turn my amp up to 11 and play rock star.

psychobillycadillac

Nice! I took my G&L ASAT tele apart last week and switched the control pannel around, so now my controls go volume control then tone control then p/up selector. I'm really digging having the volume control being closer to my right hand so now I can use it more for volume swells without having the p/u selector switch getting in the way :twisted: