West Memphis 3

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sian-of-the-dead

West Memphis 3

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

What's the general feeling towards the case is on this board? I just wondered as Damien's legal team will be presenting their oral arguments before the Arkansas State Supreme Court on Sept 30th.

I'm from England and I've done a fair bit of reading on the case. Must people here in the UK have no idea who the WM3 are so I just wanted somewhere to discuss it.

I understand that this subject can cause controversy. Please can we discuss it in an adult fashion and with respect to all those involved. Thanks :)
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

ChicoHarris

Re: West Memphis 3

Post by ChicoHarris »

I've been keeping up with since the day after it happened (about 77 miles from here) and I think those kids were railroaded hard and is as bad a case of injustice as I've seen.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

They are paying, in part because they are different. They were children, poor and not welcomed in thier own community. They fell into the trap that was set for them and gave their "audience" what they wanted.

There is a documentary link somewhere on here, so you should be able to see it, if not. There should be a link to the case file somewhere on this board. If not can we get it back from 9B?
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Sian-of-the-dead

The Black Canary wrote:They are paying, in part because they are different. They were children, poor and not welcomed in thier own community. They fell into the trap that was set for them and gave their "audience" what they wanted.

There is a documentary link somewhere on here, so you should be able to see it, if not. There should be a link to the case file somewhere on this board. If not can we get it back from 9B?

Is it the Paradise Lost/Paradise Lost 2 documentaries?

I've seen both... amazingly AFTER I heard about WM3. Most people watch the documentaries and then read more :)

They were definitely paying for their differences, and they're still paying. I'm in amazement that they're STILL incarcerated and that more people haven't heard about it :?

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Sian-of-the-dead wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:They are paying, in part because they are different. They were children, poor and not welcomed in thier own community. They fell into the trap that was set for them and gave their "audience" what they wanted.

Is it the Paradise Lost/Paradise Lost 2 documentaries?

I've seen both... amazingly AFTER I heard about WM3. Most people watch the documentaries and then read more :)

They were definitely paying for their differences, and they're still paying. I'm in amazement that they're STILL incarcerated and that more people haven't heard about it :?

Many have heard, but many just do not care. Hope is a very dangerous thing. If they had been younger at the time of the crimes, the argument for forced confessions would be much more powerful. As it stands now, everyone has an opinion, but the Mid-West moves slowly and that is a small community that is never going to forget what happened.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

My oldest, dearest best friend Grove Pashley, has been working as a photographer in Los Angeles since 1986. He and his friends Kathy Bakken and Burke Sauls founded the West Memphis Three Support Fund shortly after they viewed a pre-release of the original "Paradise Lost" documentary. For the last 15 years, Grove has worked countless hours and traveled many, many thousands of miles in support of the WM3, even so far as to have been prominently featured in the follow-up, Paradise Lost 2". Grove has been keeping me up to date since the beginning, and in our conversations he is never as passionate as when he tells me about the latest development in the case. I know that he is thrilled that the Arkansas Supreme Court will be hearing the case and just like in so many other court proceedings, he will be there to support Damien, Jason and Jessie.

Unfortunately this case has shown that you can be arrested, convicted and sent to death row if you wear the "wrong" clothes have the "wrong" hair and listen to the "wrong" kind of music. This is not supposed to happen in America, but the story of the WM3 proves that it does.

You can learn more, and show your support at http://www.wm3.org

Sian-of-the-dead

UTHeathen wrote:My oldest, dearest best friend Grove Pashley, has been working as a photographer in Los Angeles since 1986. He and his friends Kathy Bakken and Burke Sauls founded the West Memphis Three Support Fund shortly after they viewed a pre-release of the original "Paradise Lost" documentary. For the last 15 years, Grove has worked countless hours and traveled many, many thousands of miles in support of the WM3, even so far as to have been prominently featured in the follow-up, Paradise Lost 2". Grove has been keeping me up to date since the beginning, and in our conversations he is never as passionate as when he tells me about the latest development in the case. I know that he is thrilled that the Arkansas Supreme Court will be hearing the case and just like in so many other court proceedings, he will be there to support Damien, Jason and Jessie.

Unfortunately this case has shown that you can be arrested, convicted and sent to death row if you wear the "wrong" clothes have the "wrong" hair and listen to the "wrong" kind of music. This is not supposed to happen in America, but the story of the WM3 proves that it does.

You can learn more, and show your support at http://www.wm3.org

Grove Pashley, Burke Sauls and Kathy Bakken are names I recognise for sure. Grove did the black and white photos of Damien, Jessie and Jason didn't he?
The work he has done, along with the other founders of the support fund, has made a huge impact on this case and I know he's probably heard it a thousand times before but, I would like you to pass on my thanks, all the way from the Midlands, UK. Jason, Jessie and Damien always have hope while there's people like Grove in the world, willing to fight for justice.

Among my group of friends, I'm trying to raise awareness and support for this case in the UK through facebook and twitter but alas, I fear Black Canary is right when she said many just don't care...

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

Here is a story from today's Memphis Commercial Appeal about recent developments in the case:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... artner=RSS

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

They're getting out of jail. It's about fucking time. It's a shame they had to plead out to lesser charges. That allows the D.A. to save face and say say they still caught the perps.
Keep calm and have a cigar

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I remember watching the documentary years ago and came away thinking that the stepfather was friggin' creepy and that those poor kids got rail-roaded. I just hope that prison hasn't ruined their chances of having some kind of normal life.
Not forever, just for now.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Free at last.

But the question remains, who actually murdered those poor kids?
Not forever, just for now.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Wow! Such great news! My friend Grove Pashley was a founding member of the WM3 support fund and has been keeping my informed since '96. He's on his way to Memphis right now to be there for the celebration. So happy for Damien, Jason and Jesse, as well as all of the people who have donated countless hours and countless dollars to make this day happen. It's a great day!

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

I'm glad to see these guys are free. Just because of their choice of style and music they were used as the scapegoat in a community that wanted swift justice.
The tragic part is that SOMEONE killed those boys, some normal country hick that will walk free because of the guilty plea theses men used to be freed of something they did not do.
I'm from a small towm right across the river from West Memphis, and untill I got out of high school I probably would have felt the same way as the town folk of West Memphis.
I wish the men the best and hope that they are able to live normal lives, and by all means GET THE HELL OUT OF ARKANSAS!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Late4Church wrote:I'm glad to see these guys are free. Just because of their choice of style and music they were used as the scapegoat in a community that wanted swift justice.
The tragic part is that SOMEONE killed those boys, some normal country hick that will walk free because of the guilty plea theses men used to be freed of something they did not do.
I'm from a small towm right across the river from West Memphis, and untill I got out of high school I probably would have felt the same way as the town folk of West Memphis.
I wish the men the best and hope that they are able to live normal lives, and by all means GET THE HELL OUT OF ARKANSAS!

"some normal country hick?" I'm pretty sure that whoever he is, he ain't normal, even by country hick standards.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i am sure i am misunderstanding the news reports of the plea......but did they have to "admit" to killing the children as part of their release? or some shit like that.

Late4Church
Location: I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

Post by Late4Church »

BtB, by normal I meant by appearance only. Just like those 3 guys were judged by their appearance. The person who did this is a sick bastard no matter what they wore.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:i am sure i am misunderstanding the news reports of the plea......but did they have to "admit" to killing the children as part of their release? or some shit like that.

Essentially, yes. It's fucked up, but they're out. I'd do the same if I were them. Presumably the prosecutor required it to be done this way to (a-y) save face and (z) justify not re-opening the investigation.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I saw Mark Byers (the creepy stepdad, but apparently further investigation is pointing towards another one of the dads) in my wife's line at Wal Mart, not a week after I first showed her the "Paradise Lost" films. It was fucking eerie.

Like sacto said, about fucking time. Too bad every other innocent person in prison or on death row for false charges can't get celebrity support.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

dime in the gutter wrote:i am sure i am misunderstanding the news reports of the plea......but did they have to "admit" to killing the children as part of their release? or some shit like that.

Not exactly. They still maintained they were innocent but also said the evidence the prosecution had was enough they'd be likely to be convicted.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Echol's statement
To all my friends and family, my attorneys and advocates, and to those of you from every corner of this earth who have stood beside us these long years, please know that I will forever be indebted to all of you for helping me to become a free man. Each and every day I was the beneficiary of acts of kindness and humanity from people of all walks of life, of all ages, nationalities, religions and political persuasions. The enormity of the support Lorri and I received throughout this struggle is humbling.

I have now spent half my life on death row. It is a torturous environment that no human being should have to endure, and it needed to end. I am innocent, as are Jason and Jessie, but I made this decision because I did not want to spend another day of my life behind those bars. I want to live and to continue to fight for our innocence. Sometimes justice is neither pretty nor is it perfect, but it was important to take this opportunity to be free.

I am not alone as there are tens of thousand of men and woman in this country who have been wrongfully convicted, forced into a false confession, sentenced to death or a lifetime in prison. I am hopeful that one day they too will be able stand with their friends and family to declare their innocence.

This whole experience has taught me much about life, human nature, American justice, survival and transcendence.

I will hopefully take those lessons with me as I embark on the next chapter in my journey and along the way look forward to enjoying some of those simple things in life like spending Christmastime, Halloween and my birthday with those I love.

Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington's statement.
Some are happy, some are angry, and others are perplexed. Such is the case at the conclusion of every trial. This one is no different.

Just moments ago Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. pled guilty to the murders of Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore.

Echols and Baldwin stand convicted of three counts of Murder in the First Degree. Misskelley stands convicted of one count of First Degree Murder, and two counts of Murder in the Second Degree, thereby affirming the verdicts the two juries handed down seventeen years ago.

A 2010 Arkansas Supreme Court ruling brought to light the very real scenario that each of the defendants could likely receive a new trial. I believe that allegations of misconduct on behalf of a juror in the Echols-Baldwin trial would likely result in a new trial being ordered either by the circuit court or federal court. I further believe it would be practically impossible to put on a proper case against the defendants in this particular case after eighteen years of extended litigation. Even if the State were to prevail in a new trial, sentences could be different and the appeals process would begin all over again.

Since the original convictions, two of the victims' families have joined forces with the defense, publically proclaiming the innocence of the defendants. The mother of a witness who testified about Echols's confession has publicly questioned her daughter's truthfulness, and the State Crime Lab employee who collected fiber evidence at the Echols and Baldwin homes after their arrests has died.

In light of these circumstances I decided to entertain plea offers that were being proposed by the defense. I NEVER considered ANY arrangement that would negate the verdicts of those two juries. Guilt or Innocence was NEVER ON THE TABLE.

Today’s proceeding allows the defendants the freedom of speech to SAY they are innocent, but the FACT is, they just plead GUILTY. I strongly believe that the interests of justice have been served today.

On behalf of the State I have preserved the verdicts of those juries and averted more prolonged and costly trials and appeals in this case.

The legal tangle that has become known as the West Memphis Three case is finished.

I have spoken with members of the victims’ families and I can tell you they are still suffering the loss of their little boys. Neither this nor any other proceeding can bring those children back.

As part of the plea and sentence negotiation the defendants were sentenced to a period of 18 years with credit for time served. Those sentences will be followed by 10 years SIS or Suspended Imposition of Sentence.

These defendants have spent roughly half of their lives in prison. I pray that during this time they have been rehabilitated.

The defendants are now at liberty and will remain at liberty so long as they do not violate the terms and conditions of the Suspended Imposition of Sentence agreement. ANY violation of these terms WILL RESULT in an additional 21 years of prison.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

I watched Paradise Lost when it was first released and like so many others I felt that these three kids were railroaded so that the citizens of West Memphis could sleep easy. I have followed every aspect of the case for the better part of 15 years and I am absolutely convinced of their innocence. There was not a single piece of physical evidence found that points to the the WM3. In fact a hair found in one of the ligatures was recently DNA tested and the DNA matches one of the step fathers. It is this new evidence, and the prospect of acquittals of the WM3 in a new trial, that forced the state to make such an about face. The state is now convinced that they can not prove their case in a new trial and will be subject to a very expensive wrongful imprisonment suite. Hence the "Alford" plea where the State can claim guilt on the part of the defendants and the WM3 can claim their innocence. In the end, the State let them out of prison in order to save millions of dollars. After 18 years in prison, I would not have cared about the $$. Who can place a price on freedom?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

but this also "closes" the case - don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic those men are free, but it also pretty much guarantees the real killer doesn't have anything to worry about. Just seems like the state could've went about this differently and focused on justice instead of saving face.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Not to mention, unless their celebrity backers help them out, the WM3 have got a helluva road ahead of them. No job experience, convicted felons/sex offenders... yes it beats being in jail, but it's just fucked up all around.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Smitty wrote:Not to mention, unless their celebrity backers help them out, the WM3 have got a helluva road ahead of them. No job experience, convicted felons/sex offenders... yes it beats being in jail, but it's just fucked up all around.

I agree with you Smitty. It makes me sick that AR played this political game to set the WM3 free without pursuing the the real killer. It is all about the money. It seems to me that the State threw up their hands and said "fuck justice, lets get out of this without any more political and monetary damage". It makes me sick. However, if I put myself in the shoes of the WM3, I can't help but sympathize with the decision to accept the plea so that they could enjoy their freedom.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Burk Sauls, one of the original founders of the WM3 Support Fund has posted a response to all of the news that has happened in the last week.

I feel like I have a big family here on internet through blogs, discussion lists and from benefits and fundraisers and countless other events that so many people have created and managed. People who go WAY back with us to the very beginnings when we thought we were all alone and crazy sometimes with our big activist ideas. Having the nerve to think that we could make something happen with our limited resources. We're all part of this. I hope everyone here who has contributed their time, money, sweat, ideas, energy and support knows this. I hope that nobody feels overshadowed by the way things turned out - and I hope every one of you knows that all the benefits, fundraisers, concerts and events that you organized and managed were a huge part of the success.

You can read the rest here:

http://wm3org.typepad.com/blog/2011/08/burk-sauls-our-friends-are-finally-free.html

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I think now they should print up and sell some, I freed the West Memphis three T-shirts, and give the money to the guy's to give them a little jump start on covering their living expenses.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Damien Echols is chatting live on Deadspin right now (down in the comments section):

http://deadspin.com/5948646/damien-echo ... -questions
ain't no static on the gospel radio

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Damien is living in Salem Mass.("the only place on earth I'm in the majority") ,Baldwin is trying to be a lawyer,Misskellley is living in the same trailer park he was at the time of the killings.Wow.That's all you can say.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.