RIP Cale Yarborough 😥

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

RIP Cale Yarborough 😥

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

A legend from NASCAR’s golden era. One tough SOB

Rod, my brother, I’ll pour one out in honor of Cale for you
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

jr29

Re: RIP Cale Yarborough 😥

Post by jr29 »

When I was a kid I checked his autobiography out from my local library multiple times per year. He was larger than life kind of character, just like a lot of race drivers have been.
The thing I hate about that fight is I love Cale and I love Bobby Allison. I don't want to see them fighting each other. It should have been Cale and Donnie, but Cale's temper got the best of him. Regrettably, if you believe Bobby's version of the story.
Also, Cale was a close friend of Jimmy Carter and invited him and a few other drivers to the White House.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:38 pm
When I was a kid I checked his autobiography out from my local library multiple times per year. He was larger than life kind of character, just like a lot of race drivers have been.
The thing I hate about that fight is I love Cale and I love Bobby Allison. I don't want to see them fighting each other. It should have been Cale and Donnie, but Cale's temper got the best of him. Regrettably, if you believe Bobby's version of the story.
Also, Cale was a close friend of Jimmy Carter and invited him and a few other drivers to the White House.
I’m from NC but still would not know Timmonsville, SC existed were it not for Cale

I’m lucky to be of an age where I got to see all the greats race in person multiple times- Pearson (my favorite driver ever), Cale, the Hueytown Gang, Petty, Buddy Baker and at-the-time up & coming whippersnappers Waltrip & Earnhardt

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:44 pm
jr29 wrote:
I’m from NC but still would not know Timmonsville, SC existed were it not for Cale

I’m lucky to be of an age where I got to see all the greats race in person multiple times- Pearson (my favorite driver ever), Cale, the Hueytown Gang, Petty, Buddy Baker and at-the-time up & coming whippersnappers Waltrip & Earnhardt
I didn't get into racing until around 1995 so I only got to see the tale end of the Earnhardt, Waltrip, Bodine era. I completely missed Petty, Yarborough, Allison, etc.
One of my winter pastimes is watching old races on Youtube. I'm currently working my way through the 1985 season. Cale is pretty much retired and Richard Petty isn't what he once was, but Bobby Allison is still very fast. It's also interesting to see Harry Gant becoming a full timer on the circuit in his mid 40's. Nowadays mid 40's or younger is twilight time for everyone in NASCAR.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:01 pm
Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:44 pm
jr29 wrote:

I didn't get into racing until around 1995 so I only got to see the tale end of the Earnhardt, Waltrip, Bodine era. I completely missed Petty, Yarborough, Allison, etc.
One of my winter pastimes is watching old races on Youtube. I'm currently working my way through the 1985 season. Cale is pretty much retired and Richard Petty isn't what he once was, but Bobby Allison is still very fast. It's also interesting to see Harry Gant becoming a full timer on the circuit in his mid 40's. Nowadays mid 40's or younger is twilight time for everyone in NASCAR.
Handsome Harry Gant! He was a true legend at the Sportsman level long before joining the Cup series. He battled it out with other legends like Jack Ingram, Tommy Houston, Bob Presley, & Butch Lindley every week at tracks like Asheville (my hometown track), Hickory, & Greenville/Pickens. All those guys tried their hand at the big show but Gant was the only one with any success at the Cup level

Now there’s a trip down memory lane I didn’t expect to have today 🤣

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cale Yarborough was the first and one of the few race car drivers to penetrate my consciousness. I can't remember the circumstances but I do remember actually considering myself a fan of his even though I didn't (and don't) know squat about racing. RIP.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:42 pm
Cale Yarborough was the first and one of the few race car drivers to penetrate my consciousness. I can't remember the circumstances but I do remember actually considering myself a fan of his even though I didn't (and don't) know squat about racing. RIP.
I venture a guess that whether directly or indirectly it was a result of the legendary 1979 Daytona 500 that featured the brawl. Massive blizzard had the entire east coast inside with little to do other than watch TV, it was the first 500 broadcast live in its entirety, and it had one of the most insane finishes ever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:44 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
I venture a guess that whether directly or indirectly it was a result of the legendary 1979 Daytona 500 that featured the brawl. Massive blizzard had the entire east coast inside with little to do other than watch TV, it was the first 500 broadcast live in its entirety, and it had one of the most insane finishes ever
That may well be right but if I had to guess I'd date my fandom earlier than that. But again, it's all vague so I can't be more specific.

Also, just curious, are you sure you have the year right, because the big, memorable east coast blizzard, at least the one that I always associate w/ that general time period, was '78 not '79. "The blizzard of '78" still gets major media coverage around here every 5th/10th anniversary.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:11 am
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:44 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
That may well be right but if I had to guess I'd date my fandom earlier than that. But again, it's all vague so I can't be more specific.

Also, just curious, are you sure you have the year right, because the big, memorable east coast blizzard, at least the one that I always associate w/ that general time period, was '78 not '79. "The blizzard of '78" still gets major media coverage around here every 5th/10th anniversary.
Oh the disrespect 🙄 I am absolutely sure I have the date right. And you don’t have to trust me on this

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/ ... how-on-tv/

From the article:

As luck would have it, a huge snowstorm on Feb. 17-18 kept most Americans east of the Mississippi River homebound. Streets were almost deserted; basketball and hockey were postponed; many restaurants and theaters closed; interstate travel stalled. Much of the country had nothing to do except watch TV, including America’s biggest stock car race, something many had never seen.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:58 pm
As luck would have it, a huge snowstorm on Feb. 17-18 kept most Americans east of the Mississippi River homebound. Streets were almost deserted; basketball and hockey were postponed; many restaurants and theaters closed; interstate travel stalled. Much of the country had nothing to do except watch TV, including America’s biggest stock car race, something many had never seen.
Aha! Descriptions of this storm place it in "the mid-Atlantic states" or "Virginia, Maryland and Delaware," so yes there was a snowstorm but apparently it was not a noteworthy event in NY or New England where I would have been at the time.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Absolute legend. (Also the Dale Jr Download is pretty much the best, IMO)

Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more