It Was 50 Years Ago This Spring

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

It Was 50 Years Ago This Spring

Post by beantownbubba »

A lot of press for Secretariat on the 50th anniversary of his Kentucky Derby win/start of his overwhelming Triple Crown success. It absolutely feels weird to feel so connected to a horse since I don't ride and am only a casual fan of the sport, but he was incredible and that Belmont win remains among my very finest sports memories. If you haven't seen that race, check it out on youtube.

I think the world was a better place when horse racing was a more mainstream sporting interest. If nothing else, horse racing breeds characters better than any other sport I can think of (I mean the fans, not the horses).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Re: It Was 50 Years Ago This Spring

Post by chuckrh »

Another great place for sports characters was the sports book at the old Stardust in Vegas. Guys that had been hanging out there for decades. I wen't to see Don Rickles in the Wayne Newton room there & showed up early to hang out in the sports book for awhile. I miss the old Vegas. It's not as much fun since the corporations took over.