Sports Betting the Rhode Island Way

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Sports Betting the Rhode Island Way

Post by beantownbubba »

We haven't had a good sports betting convo around here since the days of deedee but I couldn't resist this one, reported to me by my son:

The Rhode Island sports book lists Argentina at +500 to win the World Cup. The line for either Argentina or Wales winning the World Cup is +750. Think about it.

For you sports fans who don't like soccer, I really urge you to spend some time watching the upcoming World Cup. Chances are you'll emerge a fan. It is one of the most exciting, compelling competitions in sport and the facts that literally the whole world is watching and that the stakes are unimaginably high (think "war by other means," national honor, etc etc) just adds to the atmosphere.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Re: Sports Betting the Rhode Island Way

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:12 pm
We haven't had a good sports betting convo around here since the days of deedee but I couldn't resist this one, reported to me by my son:

The Rhode Island sports book lists Argentina at +500 to win the World Cup. The line for either Argentina or Wales winning the World Cup is +750. Think about it.

For you sports fans who don't like soccer, I really urge you to spend some time watching the upcoming World Cup. Chances are you'll emerge a fan. It is one of the most exciting, compelling competitions in sport and the facts that literally the whole world is watching and that the stakes are unimaginably high (think "war by other means," national honor, etc etc) just adds to the atmosphere.
Agree. Plus we get the added drama this year of watching the Qatar government attempt to keep beer away from English soccer fans, so some of the biggest moments may be off the pitch!

Which just reminded me of my favorite soccer book, Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. btb - if you haven't read it - as Cooley says...perfect timing.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Re: Sports Betting the Rhode Island Way

Post by beantownbubba »

OTOH, another perspective worth thinking about, from Franklin Foer in the Atlantic:

"Really, it’s the fact that the stadiums in which the games are going to be played were built in the worst circumstances for labor. Human-rights organizations have estimated that thousands of people perished in order to make this World Cup happen. [The Qatari government disputes those numbers.] I think a lot of times with sports or things that we love, we’re vaguely aware that, for example, people working at a resort will get treated badly and paid very little, or that a piece of meat was raised unethically. But here, there’s this incredibly direct sense everyone should have that these games are being played in arenas that were responsible for a huge number of deaths. It’s a hard thing to get past."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard