Pan Mass Challenge Fundraiser

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Pan Mass Challenge Fundraiser

Post by beantownbubba »

August is coming which means the Pan Mass Challenge can't be far behind. We are once again sponsoring a team, Bryan's Bikers, and raising money for the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in memory of my son, Bryan, who died from cancer in August of 2015. My older son Jeremy will once again be riding and here are some excerpts from his fundraising letters:

'Founded in 1980, the PMC is an annual bike-a-thon that now raises more money for charity than any other single event in the country. It started as Sturbridge-Provincetown at the tip of the Cape over two days, and now there are like 10 different route options. We started Bryan’s Bikers, a PMC fundraising team, in 2003 when my brother was first diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare cancer that occurs in bones or in the soft tissue around the bones. We’ve had many amazing teammates over the years and together we’ve raised more than a million dollars!!

The PMC supports the Jimmy Fund at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Thanks to corporate sponsorship every dollar raised by riders goes directly to Dana-Farber. And this year, the PMC plans to raise a ridiculous $66 million. I hope to raise at least $6,000. Last year, the PMC sent Dana-Farber $15.5 million specifically for research into pediatric cancer, like the one that took Bry’s life. It’s humbling to think that we’re part of what will someday be a cure.

In terms of the ride? This year I’m aiming for another one-day century: one day, 100 miles. I’ll be out on the roads from Wellesley to Bourne on August 6. I rode 60 miles today and only stopped for ice cream once!'

As always, thank you for your support and any amount you can contribute to this cause. You can make contributions here: https://profile.pmc.org/JB0432
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Re: Pan Mass Challenge Fundraiser

Post by brettac1 »

Done.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Clams

Post by Clams »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:02 pm
Done.
x2
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Clams wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:59 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:02 pm
Done.
x2
x3
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The deed is done. I figure if I could buy (cheap) Springsteen tickets I could do this!
Last edited by chuckrh on Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

;)
Always go to the show

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Done
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks so much to all of you above and others who have contributed to this important cause that is so near and dear to our hearts. I can't tell you how much your support, financial and otherwise means to me and my family. I cannot adequately describe how much we appreciate it and I can only say again, thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I will let Jeremy tell the rest of the story, as of this morning:

Jeremy Bernfeld
2:29 PM (1 hour ago)
to Kelsey, bcc: me

Hi everyone,

Some not so welcome news: I won’t be riding the PMC this year because this morning I tested positive for Covid. So far it’s just a scratchy throat and dreading 5+ days of isolation in 95-degree heat.

I’m so, so disappointed I won’t be riding this weekend. While I’m always worried about the damage to my hind parts that a 100-mile bike ride brings, the PMC is a highlight of my year. It’s the best way I’ve found to personally remember Bry and celebrate his legacy. It’s always an incredibly inspiring weekend and a reminder that we can do great things when we pull together.

I know what most of you are thinking: You didn’t donate to my PMC ride because you particularly cared about the actual bike riding. (Save your replies confirming this – I know it’s true!) And, of course, I don’t ride the PMC because it’s any old bike ride. Thanks to your amazing generosity, I’ve already raised an astounding $10,481.00 this year for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Every single dollar of that total still goes to fighting cancer. And I truly can’t thank you enough. [Note from BTB: The team expects to meet and exceed our $30K goal]

Still, I will pay for those donations with some sweat equity. I don’t know how or when, but stay tuned for details. And other members of Bryan’s Bikers will fly the flag! (Thanks Ralph and Mike!!)

All that’s left to say is this: Thank you for supporting my PMC “ride” and for so generously doing your part to work toward a world in which families no longer lose their loved ones to cancer.

Love,

Jeremy
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Oh no! Hope Jeremy gets well soon!
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?