RIP LBROD

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

phungi

Re: RIP LBROD

Post by phungi »

Other than knowing some of the PA contingency, and of course, Luke and Sarah, Rod was one of the first and most memorable people I met in Athens at my first HHC... this was at the Heathen's Hangout the lone year it was on the second floor of a pizza restaurant that was ill-matched for a day-drinking crew. Dr. John, still experiencing PTSD from a fan who was crawling on the floor of the 40-Watt a previous year while tripping balls, felt obliged to inform me that tripping at the 40-Watt was off-limits... I explained that "phungi" was a play on my name (Phil) and "fun-guy", and I was not a shroom-head... TC, Rod, and perhaps SlipKid, were at the table, either ignoring or monitoring this conversation, and once John was convinced I was no threat, Rod said to me "I wasn't worried but I ain't buying your story", and even though I had never met the guy, we started chatting like we were long-lost friends...

Can't say we spoke often, but did text at times, and there was never a moment in Athens I didn't see him with either a beer in his hand, a buzz on, and/or a smile on his face. He once brought me a cartridge from Cali, in the early days of vape, and the following year, when I saw him at the backyard AirBNB party, he greeted me by reaching in his pocket, and pulling out a cart for me. I read that he was known for handing out beers in line at the 40-Watt, which he magically pulled from his jacket.

He was an incredibly smart guy, and had some formal training/background in either chemistry or biochemistry. His political views were well-known, but never overly-stated, he suffered no fools, and lived life on his terms. I can't think of a single negative thing ever said about him.

Also, he had one hell of a beard.

This is just shitty news to end a shitty year during a shitty pandemic stretch... I was really looking forward to HHC this year, and having the first meeting of the members of the 3DD Fantasy Football League... now, it will be a toast in his honor.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Rags

Post by Rags »

I met Rod at Homecoming in 2019 when he gave me a lift from the airport to Athens. He was insistent that he did not need GPS, and we got very lost. As the 90 minute drive became a 3 hour drive, Rod schooled me in everything from DBT history to problematic California light rail projects. We rolled into town just in time to hit the liquor store before Adam's House Cat. He was a very kind and generous man. RIP.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Really sorry to hear this news. What a bummer. I saw Rod at shows all over the place. Always a smile on his face. He will be missed.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 pm
8/2 OCMS 9:30 club DC
8/3 OCMS 9:30 club DC
8/4 Two Cow Garage in Brooklyn
8/5 Cowboy Junkies City Winery NY
8/6 Cowboy Junkies City Winery NY

I'm on vacation.

A memory I'll cherish is hanging with Rod at a Two Cow Garage show in Brooklyn in 2012. He was still working then, and was on a vacation seeing OCMS in DC, then Two Cow, then a couple of Cowboy Junkies shows... pretty much a dream run for him. Anyway we met my friend who lived by Union Hall where TCG was playing and she was immediately charmed by him (who wouldn't be?) and they bonded over her love for Cowboy Junkies... this friend I'd known for about 10+ years at that point and had no idea of her affection for that band. The dinner check came and Rod took it straightaway from the waiter and wouldn't hear anything of our protests. (This kind of set in motion a mini-competition of who could pay each other's tabs over the years, a wink to Richard at Flicker "his beers are on my tab tonight," that kind of thing.) But so the show was loud and sweaty and just killer, and Rod's love for Shane and Micah was real and radiant and something else that we shared. Sorry this feels all a little digressive but we got to spend so much time in so many places (Austin and NYC and Chicago and San Francisco and my back porch (!) and so much Athens and and...) and it was never the least bit unpleasant. Always warm.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

Ran into him maybe 15 times, Norcal shows, felt like he was a homeboy. He always got the first one. Always a pleasure to be in his company. Always. Fair winds and following seas, Rod.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that he's gone. It's been a sad couple of days.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I come and go around here these days and a lot of times when I’m here I just read. This floored me. No idea what to say and it’s heart breaking.

I learned of this minutes ago and should probably take more time before I post anything but I’m already here.

I participated here for a couple of years before I met anybody. I met Rod the same night I first met everyone or most of the people I know around here, Homecoming 2013. We were instant friends. It was like we had known each other already. I always looked forward to seeing him each year and hanging around with him. With Rod I always felt like he was glad to see me and I was sure always glad to see him. One of my favorite 3dd memories is an after show meal at the Waffle House in Athens with Rod and Flea.

Rod and I always tended to hang together at shows when we were at the same one. I’m rambling now because this has really knocked the wind out of me.

Rod you were good, brother. I’m going to miss you. I believe I’ll see you again in the next phase of life. I’ll raise a beer for you, man. Until we meet again, love you, brother.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:39 pm
I come and go around here these days and a lot of times when I’m here I just read. This floored me. No idea what to say and it’s heart breaking.

I learned of this minutes ago and should probably take more time before I post anything but I’m already here.

I participated here for a couple of years before I met anybody. I met Rod the same night I first met everyone or most of the people I know around here, Homecoming 2013. We were instant friends. It was like we had known each other already. I always looked forward to seeing him each year and hanging around with him. With Rod I always felt like he was glad to see me and I was sure always glad to see him. One of my favorite 3dd memories is an after show meal at the Waffle House in Athens with Rod and Flea.

Rod and I always tended to hang together at shows when we were at the same one. I’m rambling now because this has really knocked the wind out of me.

Rod you were good, brother. I’m going to miss you. I believe I’ll see you again in the next phase of life. I’ll raise a beer for you, man. Until we meet again, love you, brother.
That Waffle House was the first time I hung with you both. Cheers!
Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:

I feel the same way.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Fresno State won their bowl game today. Somewhere, Rod’s lighting a big old joint, enjoying a cocktail, and smiling.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:40 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

That Waffle House was the first time I hung with you both. Cheers!
Hey there, friend. Hope you are well.🍺

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:18 pm
Fresno State won their bowl game today. Somewhere, Rod’s lighting a big old joint, enjoying a cocktail, and smiling.
Me and Mad Mike who always just lurked here but has attended some Homecomings with me and knew and liked Rod, toasted Rod last night and exchanged some memories about him. Still can’t believe he’s gone.

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

I'm just numb after seeing this yesterday. The word that comes to mind for me when thinking about Rod is genuine, genuinely kind and generous, from his smile to his actions. He introduced me to several of you and I regard him as a brick in the foundation of this community.

He really said it best in that initial post: Having that powerful rock right in your face is even better when surrounded by others who share that intense joyous feeling that only comes from the best live music.

It was definitely better because he was there. He will be missed.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

litdimly wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am
The word that comes to mind for me when thinking about Rod is genuine, genuinely kind and generous, from his smile to his actions.
I mentioned this on Facebook but not here till now: Rod and I were at a Patterson Hood show at a little town out in the middle of nowhere in December of 2016. When it was time to go, I discovered I'd locked my keys in my rental car. Rod called AAA and told them his ride home needed his keys out of his car, then hung out with me till the locksmith had come and gone. It was a really nice thing to do, "genuinely kind and generous".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just wanted to give an update from Rod’s sister, Joyce. At some point she is going to join us here and introduce herself. She knows how much this community meant to Rod. I exchanged texts with her yesterday and this is what she had to say about a memorial service.

“ We are working on a possible memorial gathering in a month or two. We're trying to get a spot at the fairgrounds where many people can gather safely &/or remotely. I'll keep you informed.”

Happy Holidays, Heathens and raise a glass for Rod.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

bovine knievel wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:28 pm
Just wanted to give an update from Rod’s sister, Joyce. At some point she is going to join us here and introduce herself. She knows how much this community meant to Rod. I exchanged texts with her yesterday and this is what she had to say about a memorial service.

“ We are working on a possible memorial gathering in a month or two. We're trying to get a spot at the fairgrounds where many people can gather safely &/or remotely. I'll keep you informed.”

Happy Holidays, Heathens and raise a glass for Rod.
I was just writing you a text to ask if you'd heard from Joyce again, when I realized I should check here. Thank you so much for the update. I've been searching for an obituary every day but there's nothing other than a funeral home that has his wrong birth year (1968 instead of 1958) and no actual writing.

I continue to struggle with the loss of my friend. I realized that part of it is because I haven't been with anyone who knew him like I did since we got the news. I was looking forward to seeing many of you in Athens but that is looking less and less likely. I'm happy to say I'm going to see Katie tomorrow and just made brunch plans with the Cohn-Mintzes for Sunday. I think that will help a lot.

Thank you for the information, bovine. xoxo
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

This was heartbreaking news. I always looked so forward to seeing Rod when we went to homecoming
back in the day. We were planning our return but it would never be the same to me :cry:
Last time we saw him was 2015 in Madison. We spent the day together with the Wiscy boys watching
the 49er/Packers game and then the Dexateens/DBT show. Such a great Sunday. We miss you Rod. RIP.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

A "celebration of life" memorial/party for Rod is happening today in California and I know a few heathens will be in attendance. Y'all be sure to lift your glass (and/or your bong) and smile with a nod toward the west tonight.

Still can't believe the fucker is gone. I really missed him last week in Athens.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:33 am
A "celebration of life" memorial/party for Rod is happening today in California and I know a few heathens will be in attendance. Y'all be sure to lift your glass (and/or your bong) and smile with a nod toward the west tonight.

Still can't believe the fucker is gone. I really missed him last week in Athens.
:cry:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I hadn’t been on 3DD for some time when Rod died, and while I composed several posts in my head I never actually submitted them. His death was- still is- a fuckin’ gut punch from hell. He was the older brother I never had. I went pretty numb and mostly grieved solo. I had every plan to attend the memorial in Fresno but had a big health scare that really freaked me out and left me in no state of mind/body to drive all the way to Fresno. I was in contact with OBL & Sacto Chris right up to the day I would have left town. The scare (thought I had had a heart attack) thankfully was a false alarm, albeit a frightening one.

I still think about him every day. If a random thought doesn’t hit me daily I am reminded of him via all the photos of him on my phone and the handwritten lyrics of Space City that I won from Homecoming (he bought tickets for me & then hand delivered the prize to me).

It’s the photo below that motivated this post. Saw it yesterday while scrolling through photos and realized it had to be shared. It is from 2018, we were in Auburn, CA for a Chuck Prophet house concert at the home of a good friend of mine. Pre-show we hit a few breweries, as we are wont to do. We were at Moonraker Brewery. I go take a quick piss & come back to the scene in the photo below. Was gone literally a couple of minutes, in which time Rod began talking to a family and within seconds trusted him enough to let him hold their baby! I was simultaneously flabbergasted and not the least bit surprised :lol:

It was always a hoot!

They broke the mold :(

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A particularly poignant picture for me in my brand new role as grandparent and sometimes designated baby holder. :cry: I miss that man a whole hell of a lot. :cry:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:14 pm
I hadn’t been on 3DD for some time when Rod died, and while I composed several posts in my head I never actually submitted them. His death was- still is- a fuckin’ gut punch from hell. He was the older brother I never had. I went pretty numb and mostly grieved solo. I had every plan to attend the memorial in Fresno but had a big health scare that really freaked me out and left me in no state of mind/body to drive all the way to Fresno. I was in contact with OBL & Sacto Chris right up to the day I would have left town. The scare (thought I had had a heart attack) thankfully was a false alarm, albeit a frightening one.

I still think about him every day. If a random thought doesn’t hit me daily I am reminded of him via all the photos of him on my phone and the handwritten lyrics of Space City that I won from Homecoming (he bought tickets for me & then hand delivered the prize to me).

It’s the photo below that motivated this post. Saw it yesterday while scrolling through photos and realized it had to be shared. It is from 2018, we were in Auburn, CA for a Chuck Prophet house concert at the home of a good friend of mine. Pre-show we hit a few breweries, as we are wont to do. We were at Moonraker Brewery. I go take a quick piss & come back to the scene in the photo below. Was gone literally a couple of minutes, in which time Rod began talking to a family and within seconds trusted him enough to let him hold their baby! I was simultaneously flabbergasted and not the least bit surprised :lol:

It was always a hoot!

Well shit 🥲

But damn that’s a great pic.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Found this on an old hard drive. Worldwide Bill, Rod and myself in L.A. 2014.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:) :) :) Especially on the "eve" of homecoming.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:14 pm

It was always a hoot!

This picture and story break my heart but make me really happy at the same time. Thanks for posting, brother. Hope you are well.