NBA 09-10

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NBA 09-10

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:

Deng-Noah-James-Hinrich-Rose.......Rose can hit a Pippen level of output in other ways, Deng is as good as orace Grant, Noah is a variable like Rodman.....Hinrich can be a Paxson-Armstron-Harper. James has potential to climb to Jordan heights.

Deng is better than Horace Grant was???? Not a chance. Grant was a hell of a player, Deng is a talented athlete that drives you crazy. Some nights you think he's a star and other nights he looks like he shouldn't be in the League. At this point he's just a guy, and an overpaid one at that.

In the NBA you need 2 1/2 superstars to win. With James, Rose and Noah the Bulls would have just that. There isn't another championship caliber player on that team.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:

Deng-Noah-James-Hinrich-Rose.......Rose can hit a Pippen level of output in other ways, Deng is as good as orace Grant, Noah is a variable like Rodman.....Hinrich can be a Paxson-Armstron-Harper. James has potential to climb to Jordan heights.

Deng is better than Horace Grant was???? Not a chance. Grant was a hell of a player, Deng is a talented athlete that drives you crazy. Some nights you think he's a star and other nights he looks like he shouldn't be in the League. At this point he's just a guy, and an overpaid one at that.

In the NBA you need 2 1/2 superstars to win. With James, Rose and Noah the Bulls would have just that. There isn't another championship caliber player on that team.

Probably getting a little excited and ahead of myself with Grant. Horace Grant had one of the best and most clutch mid-range jump shots. He was a brutal force. I think Deng can be a greater player than he's showing with extreme inconsistencies.

I agree with the 2 1/2 theory. Jordan-Pippen to me is the best tandom of all time.

Bosh is a great player. Wade is a great player. Obviously Lebron overshadows them by a lot so I seem to be throwing them aside rather quickly. Bosh is a dimension the Bulls need if the Lebron sweepstakes are just smoke in the air.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Grant was athletic and gritty. No ego. Knew his role and relished it. Deng is not even in the same league as Grant. Different styles. Different eras. Different roles. And Noah has a loooooooooooooooong way to go before we can invoke the Rodman comparisons.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

- DPM

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

it's maddening how easily they give away double-digit leads...

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

I'm stealing Cortez's post.
Great game last night. It's so nice that Orlando has a choking puss like Vince Carter.
I went to bed really thinking that Dwight Howard would be suspended for game 3, after what I think should be called a flagrant 2.
Alas, I don't believe that's going to happen, but I'm hoping the Celts can close them out in Boston.
What a fun May it's been.

cortez the killer

Steal away now brstigerfan.

What a run these guys are on. As the regular season was dwindling down, the team kept talking about flipping the switch for the playoffs. At the time, it sounded like empty bravado from a bunch of aging has-beens. But it appears they've done it. They are playing inspired basketball. Relentless defense, clutch shooting, fighting for rebounds and loose balls. It's been a pleasure to watch them over the past month.

Either Mark Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy commented last night that the 2010 Celtics are better than the 2008 version due to Rondo's emergence as a superstar. While Rondo is much improved, I think Garnett and Pierce have slipped a bit and we don't have Posey coming off the bench anymore. If they can win 6 more, he might be right.
- DPM

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

cortez the killer wrote:Steal away now brstigerfan.

What a run these guys are on. As the regular season was dwindling down, the team kept talking about flipping the switch for the playoffs. At the time, it sounded like empty bravado from a bunch of aging has-beens. But it appears they've done it. They are playing inspired basketball. Relentless defense, clutch shooting, fighting for rebounds and loose balls. It's been a pleasure to watch them over the past month.

Either Mark Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy commented last night that the 2010 Celtics are better than the 2008 version due to Rondo's emergence as a superstar. While Rondo is much improved, I think Garnett and Pierce have slipped a bit and we don't have Posey coming off the bench anymore. If they can win 6 more, he might be right.

I think saying they are better than '08 is not that big of a reach right now. Tony Allen has been playing every bit as well as Posey did in '08. (never would have imagined I'd say that) Pierece and KG are a step behind, however KG had as good of an offensive series against Cleveland as he has ever had in his career.
But the big factor is Rondo. He is playing out of his mind right now, and he makes all the difference in the world with him out there making big plays in the 4th quarter.

I know it's going to be tough, but hoping they can close the magicians out soon. I was dreading it going to 7 games, because game 7 would fall on the same night as when I'm going to see Neil Young. So hopefully, I can go see Neil without worrying in the back of my mind about a basketball game.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm enjoying the hell out of watching this Celtic team in its current incarnation - there are a lot of good players playing really good basketball, individually and collectively.

But it pisses me off that Rasheed Wallace's handful of decent games suddenly means that "all is forgiven." First of all, w/ the exception of Magic game #1, he's not playing THAT well, and second, how/why is it acceptable to mail in an entire season and then decide to play a few games, even if they are the most important ones? If i were a season ticket holder i'd be apoplectic.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

brstigerfan wrote:I think saying they are better than '08 is not that big of a reach right now. Tony Allen has been playing every bit as well as Posey did in '08. (never would have imagined I'd say that)

I don't know. I think T.A.'s defense is on par with Posey's. He also drives the ball to the hoop more effectively than Posey did. However, Posey was an absolute BEAST from behind the arc during that championship run in '08. He nailed an insane number of clutch three's. Additionally, T.A. is wildly inconsistent as a shooter/finisher. He possesses boatloads of athletic ability, but his touch is average at best.

Of course all these comparisons to the '08 squad are moot if they don't finish the deal.
- DPM

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:But it pisses me off that Rasheed Wallace's handful of decent games suddenly means that "all is forgiven." First of all, w/ the exception of Magic game #1, he's not playing THAT well, and second, how/why is it acceptable to mail in an entire season and then decide to play a few games, even if they are the most important ones? If i were a season ticket holder i'd be apoplectic.

In a perfect world, Sheed would've been a more productive soldier during the regular season and continued that trend in the regular season. However, if his postseason contributions play a key role in bringing banner #18 to the rafters, ALL is forgiven in my book.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:But it pisses me off that Rasheed Wallace's handful of decent games suddenly means that "all is forgiven." First of all, w/ the exception of Magic game #1, he's not playing THAT well, and second, how/why is it acceptable to mail in an entire season and then decide to play a few games, even if they are the most important ones? If i were a season ticket holder i'd be apoplectic.

In a perfect world, Sheed would've been a more productive soldier during the regular season and continued that trend in the regular season. However, if his postseason contributions play a key role in bringing banner #18 to the rafters, ALL is forgiven in my book.

Yep. You and 99.9999% of Celtics fans. I don't understand that, but that's ok, it's neither the first nor last time.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Not a Celtic fan but aren't the playoff's the only thing that's important? Who gives a shit about the regular season? In the NBA if a veteran guy can help you win in the playoffs nothing else should matter.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Not a Celtic fan but aren't the playoff's the only thing that's important? Who gives a shit about the regular season? In the NBA if a veteran guy can help you win in the playoffs nothing else should matter.

When i as a fan can buy a "mini season ticket" just for the playoffs then i'd have no problem w/ that. Otherwise what you're telling me is that my giving 100% of my money (i.e. 100 cents on the dollar for the price of a ticket, and parking, and beer etc etc ad infinitum) and time and mindshare doesn't entitle me to 100% effort in return. Like i said, a lot of people seem to be ok w/ that. I'm not. On the other side of the very expensive coin, if management is ok w/ paying X million dollars for 8 or 12 weeks work, that's ok too, but i don't think that's what they thought they were buying. But i could be wrong about that.

Look, i'm not going to argue that the regular season in hockey or basketball means anything. Obviously it doesn't. But guys still get paid to play those games (at least i thought they did til this new "playoffs only" theory emerged recently) and i damn well know fans get charged a whole lot of money to watch those games. If the fans really and literally thought the players were mailing in the season would they continue to pay those prices? I don't know - they passed my willingness to pay a number of years ago as it is so I'm not the best person to ask.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Not a Celtic fan but aren't the playoff's the only thing that's important? Who gives a shit about the regular season? In the NBA if a veteran guy can help you win in the playoffs nothing else should matter.

When i as a fan can buy a "mini season ticket" just for the playoffs then i'd have no problem w/ that. Otherwise what you're telling me is that my giving 100% of my money (i.e. 100 cents on the dollar for the price of a ticket, and parking, and beer etc etc ad infinitum) and time and mindshare doesn't entitle me to 100% effort in return. Like i said, a lot of people seem to be ok w/ that. I'm not. On the other side of the very expensive coin, if management is ok w/ paying X million dollars for 8 or 12 weeks work, that's ok too, but i don't think that's what they thought they were buying. But i could be wrong about that.

Look, i'm not going to argue that the regular season in hockey or basketball means anything. Obviously it doesn't. But guys still get paid to play those games (at least i thought they did til this new "playoffs only" theory emerged recently) and i damn well know fans get charged a whole lot of money to watch those games. If the fans really and literally thought the players were mailing in the season would they continue to pay those prices? I don't know - they passed my willingness to pay a number of years ago as it is so I'm not the best person to ask.

- DPM

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:not sure why there are 3 days between games during the conference finals. This schedule is the worst

Must be another NBA conspiracy designed to help those geezers on the Celts rest and get back to the finals in a dream match-up with the L.A. Lakers.
- DPM

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Zip City wrote:
And not that there isn't reason to believe the NBA would love a Celtics/Lakers final, but this shit has been going on for years. The first round takes like 2 weeks to finish

The Nba would love a Celts-Lakers finals, but not as much as they would have loved a Cavs-Lakers finals.
Anyway, the scheduling is annoying, but it is strictly for TV purposes, and as you said they've been doing it for years.
This year, I must say it is not as annoying. The playoff schedule has been a blessing for the old legs on the Celtics. I'm very pleased with how things are working out.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Quite possibly the strangest story in NBA history?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/2 ... 83135.html

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dee dee wrote:Quite possibly the strangest story in NBA history?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/2 ... 83135.html

If it's not, i really don't want to know what is.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Who woulda thunk it? That was a pretty complete destruction of the Magic by the men in green.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Play defense like that for 5 more games, and the Celtics will get that 18th banner.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

also, this....

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
brstigerfan wrote:also, this....

Garnett is a classy guy.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. However, the douche bag responsible for what happened above was the Magic's own Matt Barnes who shoved a hustling Garnett into Van Gundy. Should have been a flagrant 2 foul.
- DPM

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Everybody is pretty much distraught around here as they pretty much expected the Magic to sweep their way thru to a championship. :lol: I was a Jazz fan long before I moved here so I don't really care; I just hope The Celtics can beat the Lakers as I hate those bastards.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Gator McKlusky wrote:Everybody is pretty much distraught around here as they pretty much expected the Magic to sweep their way thru to a championship. :lol: I was a Jazz fan long before I moved here so I don't really care; I just hope The Celtics can beat the Lakers as I hate those bastards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

don't be such a baby. The Jazz suck, get over it

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Your time is coming LAJakes! :lol: Go Celtics!!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What's going on w/ the Celts right now really is pretty extraordinary, although, truth be told, it represents a complete devaluation of the regular season, even more than the usual. What went on during the regular season, Zip, was a combination of injuries and intentional resting of the old guys, pointing towards the playoffs. Also, Glenn Davis had pretty much of a lost season due to his stupid off the court injury and resulting placement in the dog house, but as is obvious, he's in the best shape of his pro life and he can play. And when he can play he helps the entire rotation tremendously. Add to that the 3 old guys who have reached that delicate balance between still being able to bring it yet having the old guy understanding that it's about winning, not ego or stats, and the young blood (rondo) who's not only blossoming as a major talent but also is that energizing breath of fresh air and electricity that everyone's feeding off.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:What's going on w/ the Celts right now really is pretty extraordinary, although, truth be told, it represents a complete devaluation of the regular season, even more than the usual. What went on during the regular season, Zip, was a combination of injuries and intentional resting of the old guys, pointing towards the playoffs. Also, Glenn Davis had pretty much of a lost season due to his stupid off the court injury and resulting placement in the dog house, but as is obvious, he's in the best shape of his pro life and he can play. And when he can play he helps the entire rotation tremendously. Add to that the 3 old guys who have reached that delicate balance between still being able to bring it yet having the old guy understanding that it's about winning, not ego or stats, and the young blood (rondo) who's not only blossoming as a major talent but also is that energizing breath of fresh air and electricity that everyone's feeding off.

Injuries and age were major factors during the regular season. Not sure it would be completely fair to call it a devaluation. The entire purpose of the regular season is to determine which teams that make the postseason and what they are seeded. Should the Celts win it all this year, Doc is the greatest coach/manager in New England. Has pushed all the right buttons. I'm a huge Doc Rivers fan.
- DPM

cgoodwin

Post by cgoodwin »

cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:What's going on w/ the Celts right now really is pretty extraordinary, although, truth be told, it represents a complete devaluation of the regular season, even more than the usual. What went on during the regular season, Zip, was a combination of injuries and intentional resting of the old guys, pointing towards the playoffs. Also, Glenn Davis had pretty much of a lost season due to his stupid off the court injury and resulting placement in the dog house, but as is obvious, he's in the best shape of his pro life and he can play. And when he can play he helps the entire rotation tremendously. Add to that the 3 old guys who have reached that delicate balance between still being able to bring it yet having the old guy understanding that it's about winning, not ego or stats, and the young blood (rondo) who's not only blossoming as a major talent but also is that energizing breath of fresh air and electricity that everyone's feeding off.

Injuries and age were major factors during the regular season. Not sure it would be completely fair to call it a devaluation. The entire purpose of the regular season is to determine which teams that make the postseason and what they are seeded. Should the Celts win it all this year, Doc is the greatest coach/manager in New England. Has pushed all the right buttons. I'm a huge Doc Rivers fan.

exactly cortez. doc said back in march that he will probably have to sacrifice wins in order to get his team ready for the playoffs. he was happy being anywhere from 1 to 4 in the eastern seedings...and said that he knew that his team can go on the road and beat anybody as long as they are healthy and the team has developed a little chemistry. as a huge celtics fan, i honestly didn't believe the celtics had a shot...i have the NBA ticket and i watched most, if not all of their games and i really thought the chemistry, health and determination was lacking big time. i thought the signing of wallace was a complete disaster, and actually resorted to blaming him for the lack of effort i saw in the C's during the regular season. if the celtics can pull this off then i think Doc Rivers should get coach of the year. i don't believe they should be handing out those tropies after the regular season anyway.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

lajakesdad wrote:
Gator McKlusky wrote:Everybody is pretty much distraught around here as they pretty much expected the Magic to sweep their way thru to a championship. :lol: I was a Jazz fan long before I moved here so I don't really care; I just hope The Celtics can beat the Lakers as I hate those bastards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

don't be such a baby. The Jazz suck, get over it

It's because of comments like that that people hate the fucking Lakers so bad and hate their no-class fans even worse. Much as I hated to, I gave the Lakers credit for being a better team, their whiny, get every call bullshit notwithstanding. The Jazz most certainly don't suck. Check their record over the past 20 years and you'll find that they are among the most consistently good teams in the NBA. The Lakers have every advantage imaginable, and still Laker fans act like they somehow have had something to do with their success. It's called front runners. Did the Jazz suck when they swept the Lakers, with Kobe and Shaq in '97? The Lakers fans that come out of the woodwork when they're winning remind me of all the Bulls fans that materialized during the Jordan era. One shitty season and they'll all crawl back under the rocks they slid out from under.