Ida beware

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Ida beware

Post by chuckrh »

Thoughts & prayers to all of you in Ida's path. Looks like an ugly one. Be safe & well!

Zip City

Re: Ida beware

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:30 pm
Thoughts & prayers to all of you in Ida's path. Looks like an ugly one. Be safe & well!
Sadly, this is going to make Katrina look like a summer rain storm. Category 4 hurricane PLUS full to capacity hospitals (thanks Covidiots) equals a disaster in the making
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:23 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sadly, this is going to make Katrina look like a summer rain storm. Category 4 hurricane PLUS full to capacity hospitals (thanks Covidiots) equals a disaster in the making
Not so much.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:58 am
Zip City wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
Not so much.
I know you are a lot closer to "local" than most of us, so do you have any information not generally available. Because pretty much all I'm hearing/reading is that it's too soon to know. Which reminds of the immediate aftermath of Katrina when everyone was starting to breathe a sigh of relief over a bullet dodge when the levees started failing. Last night, the last I heard was that the levees were holding; this morning the first thing I heard was that one levee had been breached. Obviously I hope you're right but it seems a bit soon to call it. Just saw that the governor said that casualties may well be "considerable."

Anyone hear from dime?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:03 pm
jr29 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:58 am
Zip City wrote:

Not so much.
I know you are a lot closer to "local" than most of us, so do you have any information not generally available. Because pretty much all I'm hearing/reading is that it's too soon to know. Which reminds of the immediate aftermath of Katrina when everyone was starting to breathe a sigh of relief over a bullet dodge when the levees started failing. Last night, the last I heard was that the levees were holding; this morning the first thing I heard was that one levee had been breached. Obviously I hope you're right but it seems a bit soon to call it. Just saw that the governor said that casualties may well be "considerable."

Anyone hear from dime?
I remember there being reports of total devastation on the Mississippi coast immediately following Katrina. The situation definitely deteriorated in the following days but I believe hundreds were killed in Mississippi prior to the flooding in New Orleans. We are almost 24 hours removed from landfall and there has been one death reported. Even if the casualties turn out to be considerable, we'd have to be hearing about more if this was gonna be anywhere in the ballpark of Katrina.
I'll have zero issues admitting I'm wrong if something changes, but I'm fairly certain this isn't gonna make Katrina look like a summer rain storm.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm
I remember there being reports of total devastation on the Mississippi coast immediately following Katrina. The situation definitely deteriorated in the following days but I believe hundreds were killed in Mississippi prior to the flooding in New Orleans.
Funny how memories can be so different. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Thanks for your full response.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Don't underestimate the damage Ida has done. The improvements to the levees held, so the damage to the city of New Orleans was far less than with Katrina. That said, much of the city will be without power for weeks, and there has been some heavy, localized damage. Outside the city is an entirely different story. The cities of Houma, Laplace, and LaFourche Parrish have been primarily destroyed, and the homes and businesses that remain are expected to be without power for eight weeks. People are suffering. Ida was a much stronger storm, but because the reinforced levees protected the most densely populated urban areas, the loss of life will not be as devastating. That's not to say it won't add up. Comparing the two storms is not helpful at this point. Ida was horrific in its own right, and it will be weeks before we know the extent of that horror.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved