RIP Dusty Hill

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

schlanky

RIP Dusty Hill

Post by schlanky »

I grew up almost right across the street from Paul. His older brother Allen had a 70s model silver Monte Carlo that was passed down to Paul at some point when Paul and I were in high school in the mid-1980s when Allen got a new car. Allen left in the 8 track player and custom-built speaker box he'd made at the machine shop. We had a handful of Allen's 8 track tapes to go with the player. There were three that we liked most: Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 1, Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues and ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Allen's Tres Hombres 8 track that was handed down to Paul was my introduction to ZZ Top.

The Monte Carlo eventually died and Paul bought a Chevy Blazer. Paul pulled the 8 track player out of the Monte Carlo and put it in the Blazer. On Friday nights, we'd stake out Jr. Food Mart or that store out at Moore's Crossroads and look for someone to buy us beer. We'd get a 12 pack of Budweiser and ride. Sometimes it was a handful of folks in the Blazer; sometimes it was just me and Paul.

Paul would turn off the pavement onto a dirt road and say "You're never gonna believe where we come out." We rode old mining roads with that 12 pack getting increasingly warmer as we went because we were dumb teenagers and never considered using a cooler.

We'd run through those same three 8 tracks over and over again. He'd turn back onto blacktop hours later on the other side of the county. Much of that area we used to ride has turned into suburban subdivisions now.

At one point during that era, we were way out in the middle of nowhere on the dirt roads with Tres Hombres in. Conversation had died down and we both caught the line "We was out in the sticks down Highway 6." It stuck with us. Tres Hombres became our dirt road favorite.

Sitting in the dentist office today, I got a text from Paul asking if I'd heard about Dusty Hill.

RIP Dusty--Thanks for the tunes.

https://youtu.be/zXOi2Xx1QE4
Last edited by schlanky on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Re: RIP Dusty Hill

Post by beantownbubba »

:(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

schlanky wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:39 pm
I grew up almost right across the street from Paul. His older brother Allen had a 70s model silver Monte Carlo that was passed down to Paul at some point when Paul and I were in high school in the mid-1980s when Allen got a new car. Allen left in the 8 track player and custom-built speaker box he'd made at the machine shop. We had a handful of Allen's 8 track tapes to go with the player. There were three that we liked most: Eagles Greatest Hits Vol 1, Blues Brothers Briefcase Full of Blues and ZZ Top's Tres Hombres. Allen's Tres Hombres 8 track that was handed down to Paul was my introduction to ZZ Top.

The Monte Carlo eventually died and Paul bought a Chevy Blazer. Paul pulled the 8 track player out of the Monte Carlo and put it in the Blazer. On Friday nights, we'd stake out Jr. Food Mart or that store out at Moore's Crossroads and look for someone to buy us beer. We'd get a 12 pack of Budweiser and ride. Sometimes it was a handful of folks in the Blazer; sometimes it was just me and Paul.

Paul would turn off the pavement onto a dirt road and say "You're never gonna believe where we come out." We rode old mining roads with that 12 pack getting increasingly warmer as we went because we were dumb teenagers and never considered using a cooler.

We'd run through those same three 8 tracks over and over again. He'd turn back onto blacktop hours later on the other side of the county. Much of that area we used to ride has turned into suburban subdivisions now.

At one point during that era, we were way out in the middle of nowhere on the dirt roads with Tres Hombres in. Conversation had died down and we both caught the line "We was out in the sticks down Highway 6." It stuck with us. Tres Hombres became our dirt road favorite.

Sitting in the dentist office today, I got a text from Paul asking if I'd heard about Dusty Hill.

RIP Dusty--Thanks for the tunes.

https://youtu.be/zXOi2Xx1QE4

Good stuff.

Giving Tres Hombres and Fandango a listen this morning.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

BK's Tres Hombres/Dancin' with Wolves mash-up from a few years back.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

that playlist is fucking gold. thanks, bovine.

can't wait to fire that up w/ray baker this weekend.

ride on, dusty.

i ain't asking for much...mmmmh.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 am
that playlist is fucking gold. thanks, bovine.
x2
If you don't run you rust