Just Wondering...

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Just Wondering...

Post by beantownbubba »

This may be old news or a non-event in other parts of the country, but road crews in this neck of the woods have been quite busy recently changing all the interstate highway exit numbers from consecutive numbers to the number of miles from the highway's starting point in each state.

Anybody have any idea how much it costs to do something like this? It's got to be a lot when you consider not just the number signs themselves but all the other related signs, changes to databases (and maps if there are such things anymore), printed and website directions for businesses, etc.

Anybody have any idea what the reasoning behind this change is? Can it possibly be worth the money?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Re: Just Wondering...

Post by beantownbubba »

Didn't Elton John do a "farewell tour?" I know he's playing Met Life Stadium soon; is this part of yet another farewell tour?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:45 am
This may be old news or a non-event in other parts of the country, but road crews in this neck of the woods have been quite busy recently changing all the interstate highway exit numbers from consecutive numbers to the number of miles from the highway's starting point in each state.

Anybody have any idea how much it costs to do something like this? It's got to be a lot when you consider not just the number signs themselves but all the other related signs, changes to databases (and maps if there are such things anymore), printed and website directions for businesses, etc.

Anybody have any idea what the reasoning behind this change is? Can it possibly be worth the money?
I thought this change happened nationwide years ago. They did this in PA at least 15 years ago and it has been like this in Ohio for at least the 13 years I’ve lived here
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Here in Connecticut both I-95 and the Merritt Parkway still have the consecutive numbering system for exits. I’m glad they are both that way as it’s what I’m used to around here.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:46 am
Didn't Elton John do a "farewell tour?" I know he's playing Met Life Stadium soon; is this part of yet another farewell tour?
His farewell tour will continue into 2023. It will wrap up then in New Zealand and Australia. His last USA shows are at Dodger Stadium in November 2022.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:02 pm
Here in Connecticut both I-95 and the Merritt Parkway still have the consecutive numbering system for exits. I’m glad they are both that way as it’s what I’m used to around here.
I think this is just happening on the interstates, so the Merritt should be safe. I wouldn't hold out much hope for 95, though. It's one of the highways that has changed in MA and I know that 395 has been changed in CT.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

It's always been this way in Colorado. Maybe the Massachusetts government needed to spend some COVID cash on, uh, infrastructure improvements.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 pm
It's always been this way in Colorado. Maybe the Massachusetts government needed to spend some COVID cash on, uh, infrastructure improvements.

Possible but I've seen it in other states (CT for sure and maybe NY or ME?). I just assumed it was necessary to conform to some obscure federal regulation in order to continue to get highway and/or transit funding, but that's a total guess and I still don't see the point of it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What the heck is blue raspberry, anyway? Is any part of the flavor found in nature?

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 pm
What the heck is blue raspberry, anyway? Is any part of the flavor found in nature?
A blue raspberry is just a regular raspberry that's sad
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:48 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Possible but I've seen it in other states (CT for sure and maybe NY or ME?). I just assumed it was necessary to conform to some obscure federal regulation in order to continue to get highway and/or transit funding, but that's a total guess and I still don't see the point of it.
yeah it's a federal mandate. i tihnk it makes sense to align the exits #s with mileage markers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:15 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 pm
A blue raspberry is just a regular raspberry that's sad
BB King wants to know how blue can a raspberry get?
Bobby Blue Bland wants to know if a blue raspberry is more or less than 2 steps from the blues?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:59 pm
i tihnk it makes sense to align the exits #s with mileage markers.
Why? That's non-rhetorical and not a trick question. I don't know what the advantage(s) are and I wonder whether those advantages whatever they may be are worth the cost of changing all the signs.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:04 pm
Why? That's non-rhetorical and not a trick question. I don't know what the advantage(s) are and I wonder whether those advantages whatever they may be are worth the cost of changing all the signs.
Because if it's done by mileage, you know how far it is to the next exit or to whichever exit you're traveling to. Knowing that you're 3 or 4 exits away, without knowing the miles, doesn't help at all. Come on bubba, you're better than that.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:36 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:04 pm
Because if it's done by mileage, you know how far it is to the next exit or to whichever exit you're traveling to. Knowing that you're 3 or 4 exits away, without knowing the miles, doesn't help at all. Come on bubba, you're better than that.
And if you're low on gas, or the kids have to go right now, or you haven't eaten in 12 hours, what good does it do to know you're 100 miles from your destination without knowing how many potential stopping places, if any, there are between here and there?

Edit: It seems to me that building a highway using miles or numerical order for exits is essentially a toss up but changing , from one to the other seems like a waste of time and effort.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is a serious question with no disparagement or disrespect for the deaf intended.

Why are there [sometimes] ASL interpreters at concerts? I understand if it's an event that happens to include music (e.g. the Inauguration). I understand if it's a charity fundraiser or political protest type event. But if it's just a straightforward rock concert, why? After giving this some thought (overthink? who me?) I guess it comes down to whether deaf people attend rock concerts. If they do, I can't see why they shouldn't have an interpreter. But the question is, as a rule, do deaf people attend rock concerts in any kind of numbers (as a percentage of the deaf, not of the general population)?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:06 pm
This is a serious question with no disparagement or disrespect for the deaf intended.

Why are there [sometimes] ASL interpreters at concerts? I understand if it's an event that happens to include music (e.g. the Inauguration). I understand if it's a charity fundraiser or political protest type event. But if it's just a straightforward rock concert, why? After giving this some thought (overthink? who me?) I guess it comes down to whether deaf people attend rock concerts. If they do, I can't see why they shouldn't have an interpreter. But the question is, as a rule, do deaf people attend rock concerts in any kind of numbers (as a percentage of the deaf, not of the general population)?
Adjust your language from 'deaf' to 'hearing-impaired' and the answer will drop into your lap: There are people with a great variety of auditory disabilities who nonetheless enjoy music, and many of them would (like the rest of us!) like to know what the words are.

Fun fact: High-quality bootlegs were gotten by taping the signal sent to hearing-assistance headsets, which for some reason you don't see much anymore.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:14 pm
Adjust your language from 'deaf' to 'hearing-impaired' and the answer will drop into your lap: There are people with a great variety of auditory disabilities who nonetheless enjoy music, and many of them would (like the rest of us!) like to know what the words are.
Duh! Merci beaucoup.

phungi

Post by phungi »

isn't the word "just" redundant with "merely", "simply", "recently", or "justified in"?

'just sayin'
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i have a friend who is hearing impaired as well as a fellow concert photographer and he request ASL signers at various shows.

(he aslo has a pretty good loophole... for big shows he'll buy the cheapest ticket, request a signer, and then gets upgraded to a great seat where he can actually see the signer).

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm
i have a friend who is hearing impaired as well as a fellow concert photographer and he request ASL signers at various shows.

(he aslo has a pretty good loophole... for big shows he'll buy the cheapest ticket, request a signer, and then gets upgraded to a great seat where he can actually see the signer).
This loophole gets my seal of approval.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:38 pm
isn't the word "just" redundant with "merely", "simply", "recently", or "justified in"?

'just sayin'
I think “just recently” may have a meaning different from “recently” but it may just be, ahem, that I use that phrase incorrectly. The answer to the others is yes but I don’t know that I actually see/hear those being used.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So more and more places are going to paying parking meters by credit card through an app. One of the results of this is that it is impossible to "give" your extra time to the next parker since the fee is tied to your individual license plate. I wonder how much of a part this played in the decisions to go this route. There are other advantages of course, but damn I imagine those wasted minutes add up.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why are uniform numbers so talismanic, virtually mystical? Latest example is the outpouring of love, respect and thanks for Cavani for giving up his Man United #7 so that Ronaldo can keep the number he is so identified with. I get that these things can be important to the individual athlete(s), but why does it evoke such an emotional response from fans?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:49 am
Why are uniform numbers so talismanic, virtually mystical? Latest example is the outpouring of love, respect and thanks for Cavani for giving up his Man United #7 so that Ronaldo can keep the number he is so identified with. I get that these things can be important to the individual athlete(s), but why does it evoke such an emotional response from fans?
Good question. Super close association between number and player? If I say "Number 12" to you, I'm sure a football player immediately comes to mind
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Good question. When you have figured that out, you might have the answer to questions like "why does religion exist?"... as well culture, arts, music...etc
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:49 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Good question. Super close association between number and player? If I say "Number 12" to you, I'm sure a football player immediately comes to mind
LOL, what's really funny about that is that the first QB I flashed on was actually Joe Namath before immediately jumping to Brady. The power and impressionism of youth I guess. But I get your point.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:53 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Good question. When you have figured that out, you might have the answer to questions like "why does religion exist?"... as well culture, arts, music...etc
Well if it was an easy question it wouldn't be any fun, right? Isn't there an expression along the lines of "God is in the numbers"? :) ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Then there is the issue of players changing numbers, presumably to cash in on more jersey sales. Jordan was the pathbreaker on this but even with this "mini trend" it doesn't seem to have affected the overall attachment to and the power of original uniform numbers. Do people agree that for most people Jordan will forever and always be #23?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:25 pm
RolanK wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:53 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Well if it was an easy question it wouldn't be any fun, right? Isn't there an expression along the lines of "God is in the numbers"? :) ;)
If the devil is 6 then God is 7....
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa