Gone but not forgotten....

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

lajakesdad

Re: Gone but not forgotten....

Post by lajakesdad »

RIP to Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-63

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:23 pm
RIP to Terry Hall, lead singer of The Specials

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-63
RIP. Also to Martin Duffy, keyboard for Primal Scream & the Charlatans.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP Pele. 1 of the greatest athletes ever. I got to see him play in the late 70s when he was with the NY Cosmos.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:17 pm
RIP Pele. 1 of the greatest athletes ever. I got to see him play in the late 70s when he was with the NY Cosmos.
Same.

From Rory Smith's tribute in the NYT:

"'We went up together to head a ball,” the Italian defender Giacinto Facchetti said after playing him. “I was taller, had a better leap. When I came back down, I looked up in astonishment. Pelé was still there, in the air, heading that ball. It was like he could stay suspended for as long as he wanted to.” Facchetti’s teammate Tarcisio Burgnich was more circumspect. “I told myself he’s made of skin and bones, like everyone else,” he said. “I was wrong.”

The Benfica goalkeeper Costa Pereira met Pelé in the 1962 Intercontinental Cup, the predecessor of the Club World Cup, a meeting between the European and South American champions. “I arrived hoping to stop a great man,” he said. “I went away convinced I had been undone by someone who was not born on the same planet as the rest of us.'"
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:25 am
chuckrh wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:17 pm
Same.
#metoo.

was a big dallas tornado fan back in the nasl days. kenny cooper and kyle rote jr. ownby stadium.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP Jeff Beck. 1 of the greatest rock guitarists ever. Totally changed my musical path in 1976 when he opened for Aerosmith & totally destroyed them. It was my 4th concert. I'm crushed. He was 79, got bacterial meningitis. He was still at the top of his considerable skills.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:32 pm
RIP Jeff Beck. 1 of the greatest rock guitarists ever. Totally changed my musical path in 1976 when he opened for Aerosmith & totally destroyed them. It was my 4th concert. I'm crushed. He was 79, got bacterial meningitis. He was still at the top of his considerable skills.
This is very, very sad news. Tough to take. One of the true greats. RIP.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP Tom Verlaine (Television) 2023 is off to a brutal start.

https://variety.com/2023/music/obituari ... 235505443/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Over twenty thousand dead. The loss and pain on an individual level is incomprehensible. The scale of the crisis on the ground is difficult to imagine.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RIP Burt Bacharach. A true giant. A legend. It's not his fault that he became the "patron saint" of lounge singers everywhere.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:00 pm
RIP Burt Bacharach. A true giant. A legend. It's not his fault that he became the "patron saint" of lounge singers everywhere.
Huge loss. That guy co wrote so many great songs. I listen to his stuff if I'm in that sort of mood. He had a good run though, age 94 when he passed. He was performing regularily up until COVID. The album he did with Elvis Costello is a classic.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RIP Wayne Shorter. The world is measurably poorer without him. I saw him 3x I think, 2x for sure. With Weather Report and leading his own quartet and I think as a band member (possibly behind Herbie Hancock?). It turns out that things you think you'll never forget? you forget a lot of them. :( Anyway, Wayne Shorter is and will be long and well remembered.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:09 pm
Over twenty thousand dead. The loss and pain on an individual level is incomprehensible. The scale of the crisis on the ground is difficult to imagine.
Well over 50,000 dead now. So I guess it's at least 2.5x as incomprehensible and unimaginable, but I think it's more exponential actually. Tough, horrible times for the survivors especially given the local politics, the winter weather and the difficulty of getting aid to where it needs to be. I try to think about that when my flight is late or when I'm having a typically awful and frustrating "customer service" experience.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:31 pm
Sometimes I just can't help myself.
It was back when the Super Bowl was in Jacksonville. We had gone downtown to see who we could see.
Watched the filming of "the best damn sports show" where Burt Reynolds kissed Mrs Swamp and
TO's bodyguard forearmed her across the chest so TO could walk by. Then we went to the Omni hotel bar
where we saw Jimmy Johnson chug a drink some lady had left on her table next to the bar where he was sitting.
But then as we were leaving, Gary stepped outta the elevator and I just couldn't help myself. In my best
star struck look I said "Gee Gary, I really like that Kentucky Fried Chicken song"
RIP
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, there goes a big chunk of my misbegotten yoot. RIP, Willis Reed. "The heart of a lion" is one of the most overused and misused cliches out there, but Mr. Reed personified the very best of what the term was intended to signify.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Sadly, we lost my dad on Sunday night to the evil beast that is pancreatic cancer. Obviously our family is devastated, even though this was the outcome we knew was coming for the past month or so. Over the years, we attended probably something like 15-20 DBT (as well as numerous other adjacent bands) shows together and he met many folks from 9B/3DD in places like St Louis and Athens, as well as at "home games" in WI. I specifically want to shout out TC/Dean as someone he was especially fond of, dating way back to the days of him living in the upper midwest.
https://www.schmidtschulta.com/obituari ... ituaryInfo

Homecoming 2010 (which we drove 17 hours to), staking out our places at the front of the line (also pictured is Beagle, who posted here and at 9B back in the day and is my best friend, and his brother "Doozy", who probably is the only person on the planet who got his nickname from Homefield Advantage):

Pre-show in DeKalb, IL in 2010 (yes that is a John Neff shirt):

With Brent Best from the mighty Slobberbone after seeing them (and Jason) in Green Bay in 2009. My dad fucking loved Slobberbone:

Love y'all.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:13 pm
Sadly, we lost my dad on Sunday night to the evil beast that is pancreatic cancer. Obviously our family is devastated, even though this was the outcome we knew was coming for the past month or so. Over the years, we attended probably something like 15-20 DBT (as well as numerous other adjacent bands) shows together and he met many folks from 9B/3DD in places like St Louis and Athens, as well as at "home games" in WI. I specifically want to shout out TC/Dean as someone he was especially fond of, dating way back to the days of him living in the upper midwest.

Homecoming 2010 (which we drove 17 hours to), staking out our places at the front of the line (also pictured is Beagle, who posted here and at 9B back in the day and is my best friend, and his brother "Doozy", who probably is the only person on the planet who got his nickname from Homefield Advantage):

With Brent Best from the mighty Slobberbone after seeing them (and Jason) in Green Bay in 2009. My dad fucking loved Slobberbone:

Love y'all.
I'm sorry for your loss. RIP to your late dad. My dad passed from pancreatic cancer, too. It was a long & ugly battle with him becoming deranged toward the end. In the aftermath the family blew up (long & bad story) & I don't talk to them anymore. Hang in there & best to you & your family.
PS: your dad was a couple of months younger than me. Too young.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Thanks, Chuck. Mercifully we didn't experience that kind of turmoil but the disease was ruthless and I would not wish it and the havoc it wreaks on a family on anyone. He was diagnosed on 2/9 and the Dr told my mom privately that it would be 3-5 months. For all intents and purposes he was right. I was holding out hope he would make it to their 40th anniversary but it sadly wasn't in the cards. He left it all on the field and I'm so proud of him.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Love y'all.
Brett, I am so sorry for your loss. I liked your dad a lot and I always enjoyed seeing him at shows. He was a good man. You and your family are in our thoughts.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

So sorry Brett. Our Heartfelt condolences. I’ve always loved that shot outside the Watt
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm so sorry, Brett. May his memory be a blessing. It sure sounds like it is. Tough times now, tough times ahead, but hang in there. It does get better.

Clams

Post by Clams »

So sorry Brett. I lost my dad last summer so I know just what you're going through. Hang in there.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The Truckers were a huge part of our father-son relationship also becoming a friendship and I'm eternally grateful for that.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:26 am
Thank you everyone for the kind words. The Truckers were a huge part of our father-son relationship also becoming a friendship and I'm eternally grateful for that.
I'm glad you had that kind of relationship with your dad Brett. My dad & I had a troubled relationship. Luckily we were able to patch things up to a certain extent before the dementia set in. I was able to stay with him in the hospice & work from there. Played him a lot of music. When I was younger he was totally anti rock. 1 surprise was he liked some of the quieter Flaming Lips stuff. Much to the chagrin of my sister & his second wife (mom died over 20 years before him) I snuck "Do You Realize" into the funeral service. There were some confused 80 year olds at the service, haha. Recently I found out that a lot of the problems I had with dad were there before he married my mom. His older brother & my aunt (who was my mom's best friend) are about the only family that pay any attention to me & my uncle told me some interesting stuff. Anyway, I hope you can celebrate your dad's life at the memorial service. It sounds like he was a good guy.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Pretty cool article. Who knew Sinead was a Wheeler Walker fan?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... road-trip/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP Paul Reubens (AKA Pee-wee Herman)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pa ... -rcna97343

Clams

Post by Clams »

RIP Robbie Robertson
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:29 pm
RIP Robbie Robertson
Another loss that really hurts. Damn. And suddenly all the arguments and "controversies" fade away. RIP.

Will Isbell play "Danko/Manuel"? Will he add a line or a verse? What will DBT play tomorrow in DC? IIRC they did "The Weight" for Levon.