Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 pm
I was down there for a couple weeks, never heard anyone say, "Can you believe people aren't wearing masks?" Is that because they aren't intelligent like a Seattle intellect or some college professor? Well, none of them have college degrees I can assure you.
are infectious disease experts the only college-educated professionals whose thoughts on things don't matter? do they do their own stress and moment calculations before driving over a bridge or going in an elevator? do they like to represent themselves in court? do they do their own prostate exams?

why is it that they think they have a greater knowledge about a very specific field, as compared to people who spent decades learning and studying it?
There is another way? Asking for a friend...
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

boyyourself wrote:
I was down there for a couple weeks, never heard anyone say, "Can you believe people aren't wearing masks?" Is that because they aren't intelligent like a Seattle intellect or some college professor? Well, none of them have college degrees I can assure you.
are infectious disease experts the only college-educated professionals whose thoughts on things don't matter? do they do their own stress and moment calculations before driving over a bridge or going in an elevator? do they like to represent themselves in court? do they do their own prostate exams?

why is it that they think they have a greater knowledge about a very specific field, as compared to people who spent decades learning and studying it?
Infectious disease experts only care about the virus. They don't care about your business, your mental health,
or when and if your kids can go to school. People have been ignoring CDC recommendations and living their lives for a long time.

https://reason.com/2021/03/03/cdc-guida ... nore-them/
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flea wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 pm
boyyourself wrote:

There is another way? Asking for a friend...
your partner can give it a shot.

(I'll report back later)

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

LBRod wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 pm

Infectious disease experts only care about the virus. They don't care about your business, your mental health,
or when and if your kids can go to school. People have been ignoring CDC recommendations and living their lives for a long time.

https://reason.com/2021/03/03/cdc-guida ... nore-them/
Robby Soave is a senior editor at Reason. He enjoys writing about culture, politics, education policy, criminal justice reform, television, and video games.
and infectious disease, too, apparently. good for Robby!

ok i took a cheap shot at the author of that piece. but he talks about how your choice is only impacting you (cf. alcohol) where that's not the case with COVID. just look at the death total! it's not normal. way more people have died in the last 12 months than would have otherwise. it's not like cracking a beer will make your neighbor or relative get sick and die.

i don't think that our government has ever advocated a zero risk policy... if that was the case, the lockdowns would have been true lockdowns. sure, everyone's lives have been disrupted but no one ever faced criminal punishment by leaving their house.

with the vaccines available and being distributed, why relax on our restrictions now? suck it up until May, princess. it's not gonna kill you. or, maybe it will.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Til may? Is that what the science is saying?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I received my second (Moderna) vaccine yesterday. I think my arm is less sore than after the first, but I’m really tired today. I considered not coming to work today but figured I’d try it for a while.

I’ve gotten a few things done and am currently completing vital “work tasks” like checking 3DD!

I’m actually really, really tired. Last night I woke up about 4 am and had trouble going back to sleep. I’m not sure if both my fatigue and sleeplessness are due to vaccine side effects, just life, or a combination of variables!

Either way I’m ready to resume life when things are safe. This morning I told Bryan (who has received his first shot) that we may soon have enough immunity to safely eat off of the 40 Watt floor...I think I actually did that once after inadvertently dropping some delicious baked goods provided by a DBT friend!!!

Y’all stay safe!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm
I received my second (Moderna) vaccine yesterday. I think my arm is less sore than after the first, but I’m really tired today. I considered not coming to work today but figured I’d try it for a while.

I’ve gotten a few things done and am currently completing vital “work tasks” like checking 3DD!

I’m actually really, really tired. Last night I woke up about 4 am and had trouble going back to sleep. I’m not sure if both my fatigue and sleeplessness are due to vaccine side effects, just life, or a combination of variables!

Either way I’m ready to resume life when things are safe. This morning I told Bryan (who has received his first shot) that we may soon have enough immunity to safely eat off of the 40 Watt floor...I think I actually did that once after inadvertently dropping some delicious baked goods provided by a DBT friend!!!

Y’all stay safe!
3 second of rule
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The big unintended consequence of full reopening in Texas and Mississippi is that it will slow down vaccination as well. As soon as people feel like things are "back to normal", the urgency to get vaccinated will wane. People will either opt not to get it, or "wait for a better vaccine" down the road. Either way, it will make herd immunity take longer to achieve, and will keep large swaths of people vulnerable to variants that will (and are) coming
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 pm
The big unintended consequence of full reopening in Texas and Mississippi is that it will slow down vaccination as well. As soon as people feel like things are "back to normal", the urgency to get vaccinated will wane. People will either opt not to get it, or "wait for a better vaccine" down the road. Either way, it will make herd immunity take longer to achieve, and will keep large swaths of people vulnerable to variants that will (and are) coming

That's your opinion zip, and it's duly noted.

Plenty of people will not be getting the vaccine. Myself and family included. Just sayin

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 pm
Zip City wrote:

Plenty of people will not be getting the vaccine. Myself and family included. Just sayin
Do you have scientific reasons for this, or is this some big "fuck you!" statement to the world. Seems shortsighted, but hey, that's on you

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

boyyourself wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 pm
Zip City wrote:

Gotta love people that are strident in their ignorance. Screw the rest of humanity as long as they can maintain their asinine beliefs.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

That's nowhere near my perspective chuck

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

You think people should be forced to take this vaccine? That's asinine.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Do you think kids should be vaccinated against measles and polio before going to school?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Y’all stay safe!
I told Bryan to keep that shit away from you, or you would bogart the whole damn cookie and he wouldn't get a taste!
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:

Do you think kids should be vaccinated against measles and polio before going to school?
You didn't answer the question. Nice strawman, though.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

boyyourself wrote:
Yes. & forced to wear masks until the virus is beat. The only way to truly enforce a mask mandate would be immediate, significant monetary penalties followed by possible incarceration for repeat offenders. Regarding not taking the vaccine, perhaps the penalty should be banning from employment that involves personal contact with other people. That & restricting contact until the pandemic is over. The vaccines are a modern day miracle & by not taking advantage that is being thrown away. One definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over & over & expecting a different result. Many of the mistakes from the Spanish flu 100 years ago are being repeated on a grand scale. It doesn't reflect well on modern society. Your "freedom" to refuse to contribute to the eradication of the virus is impacting my freedom to live a relatively normal life.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 pm
Zip City wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:

You didn't answer the question. Nice strawman, though.
Treat it like other vaccines. No, you’re not “forced” to take them, but sorry, your kids can’t go to school without them, and you can’t work at my company either. Choices, right?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Kids don't need this vaccine, but otherwise correct.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Connecticut and others also deciding to think like Neanderthals. It's a great way to put it actually, I consider it a compliment. I doubt joe Biden ever even gets his hands dirty.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The problem with unfettered personal freedom as a guiding or organizing principle for economics/business, politics and civil society is that too many people granted personal freedom have no idea what it means or how to exercise it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... src=nl_hea
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:31 am
The problem with unfettered personal freedom as a guiding or organizing principle for economics/business, politics and civil society is that too many people granted personal freedom have no idea what it means or how to exercise it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... src=nl_hea

Not sure why you'd get up in arms about a Mexican food place in Houston requiring masks. There has to be a thousand other places like that to choose from in Houston. And as usual it seems like a few d bags causing a ruckus and it made headlines.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The lifting of mask mandates will absolutely cause fights and other incidents at businesses that choose to require them.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:50 am
The lifting of mask mandates will absolutely cause fights and other incidents at businesses that choose to require them.

You're probably right. Especially with folks already feeling pent up and without real outlets for their aggression. It seems like food is some people's hobby. That seems like a pandemic in and of itself, or at least the makings of one. Better off cooking and home then going for a walk instead of going to a restraunt and demanding folks either are or aren't wearing a mask?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I’m just saying that the anti-maskers are going to be doing a lot of yelling at business owners, and that shit is absurd.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 am
Connecticut and others also deciding to think like Neanderthals. It's a great way to put it actually, I consider it a compliment. I doubt joe Biden ever even gets his hands dirty.
I live in Connecticut and your assessment is not true. But, hey, don't let the actual facts and pesky details get in the way of a good narrative.

Restrictions are being eased beginning March 19 (allowing restaurants to operate at full capacity, loosening rules on sports and entertainment venues and lifting the state’s travel ban), but not in the way they are in places like Texas and Mississippi. I work with several people who have traveled to places like Texas, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina in recent months and they are amazed by how many people in those places operate without masks and essentially go about their lives as if there was no pandemic. I think the vast majority of people who live in Connecticut understand the severity of the situation and, although frustrating and in many ways an imposition on living their lives as they've grown accustomed to, realize the best way to return to some semblance of a pre-COVID existence is to follow the science and recommendations of those people who have spent their lives studying and examining these things. We're not at the finish line yet, but this PHASED plan, coupled with an increasing number of people getting vaccinated, puts us closer to that place than we were several months ago.

“We wanted to emphasize that which works and that which is enforceable,” Governor Ned Lamont said at his Thursday afternoon press briefing. “And we know what works is the mask, and we know what works is social distancing, and we know the curfew is something we can enforce.”

“This is not Texas, this is not Mississippi. This is Connecticut,” Lamont said. “We are maintaining the masks.”
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 am
I live in Connecticut and your assessment is not true. But, hey, don't let the actual facts and pesky details get in the way of a good narrative.

Restrictions are being eased beginning March 19 (allowing restaurants to operate at full capacity, loosening rules on sports and entertainment venues and lifting the state’s travel ban), but not in the way they are in places like Texas and Mississippi. I work with several people who have traveled to places like Texas, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina in recent months and they are amazed by how many people in those places operate without masks and essentially go about their lives as if there was no pandemic. I think the vast majority of people who live in Connecticut understand the severity of the situation and, although frustrating and in many ways an imposition on living their lives as they've grown accustomed to, realize the best way to return to some semblance of a pre-COVID existence is to follow the science and recommendations of those people who have spent their lives studying and examining these things. We're not at the finish line yet, but this PHASED plan, coupled with an increasing number of people getting vaccinated, puts us closer to that place than we were several months ago.

“We wanted to emphasize that which works and that which is enforceable,” Governor Ned Lamont said at his Thursday afternoon press briefing. “And we know what works is the mask, and we know what works is social distancing, and we know the curfew is something we can enforce.”

“This is not Texas, this is not Mississippi. This is Connecticut,” Lamont said. “We are maintaining the masks.”

Such a better plan. Keep telling yourself that. What's the science on March 19 compared to now? And why do you think death per million on Florida is similar to that in California?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:41 pm
I’m just saying that the anti-maskers are going to be doing a lot of yelling at business owners, and that shit is absurd.
Some people look for excuses to do a lot of yelling, and absurd is right.
If it was really about masks, they should have moved to Georgia.