Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Swamp

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Swamp »

I guess I'm good then. As a small child I drank all that shit. The Dr. in the emergency room at the navy hospital in Newfoundland knew me by sight and would just point to the stomach pumping room when my mother brought me in. I also dranl a bottle of expensive perfume which left my breath smelling like a french whore. So you can see how releived I was when our president said that shit was good for us.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

so people in GA:

are you ready to go out and hit the gym, get a haircut and go bowling?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tennessee is "reopening" tomorrow and today we had the biggest case increase since this thing started. Not promising.

There are exceptions to the reopening. Local governments in Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Jackson and part of the Tri Cities get to decide when they reopen. Memphis isn't yet and no date has been announced for when it will. Jackson, which is about 70,000 people, is doing a kind os soft opening.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

tinnitus photography wrote:so people in GA:

The people in GA get to decide for themselves. Easing up on the government force is not a bad thing.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:

The people in GA get to decide for themselves. Easing up on the government force is not a bad thing.
Isn’t it?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:

In about 3-4 weeks, the people of GA are going to seriously regret that move.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
LBRod wrote:

In about 3-4 weeks, the people of GA are going to seriously regret that move.
& sadly everyone else when you throw in the other states doing similar. things are going to get uglier before they get better.

tinnitus photography

i understand the frustration. the govt is not helping by being so slow with the relief funds getting paid out, and they should have really figured out some sort of rent/mortgage relief as part of the package.

i also get that esp for people in rural settings, the lockdown seems to make little sense. but these states are going against Trump's COVID task force guidelines. there are two key things that need to be in place and neither are remotely close: widely available and rapid testing, and detailed contact tracing.

we're fucked.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's a big country. It should not be surprising or objectionable to think that there is no one size fits all solution. I have no problem with the IDEA of localities at some level (let's call it the county level for convenience sake) should have a large say in how their jurisdictions respond to the virus. I do have a problem w/ my level of confidence in the people making those decisions. That's not a knock on county governments, rural people or any other group. I just don't see a lot of careful consideration being exhibited by those agitating the most for a loosening of restrictions.

Let's assume the risk/benefit ratio is different in different places. That still requires knowing what the ratio is so competent decisions can be made. It also requires including in the risk portion of the analysis the obvious (but seldom mentioned) fact that the virus does not respect county lines and risks to others beyond the county lines matters, too. It also seems like there ought to be some consideration given to how to track the virus so adjustments/responses can be made as necessary. Maybe there's a county that is so unpopulated that "nobody" comes within 6 feet of one another or where literally everyone knows each other and can track in real time the health of everyone else. I do know that county's not in Georgia. For everybody else, SOME kind of tracking/testing regime is clearly needed even if it's not as rigorous as that required for, say, Manhattan or Atlanta. It also seems reasonable to require counties to have some kind of back up or emergency plan that can be quickly put into place if their calculations are wrong and while I certainly don't read every newspaper in the country, I have not heard a single mention of that kind of approach.

IOW I have no confidence that the local governments pushing hardest for a loosening of restrictions are at all equipped to take on the responsibility they are claiming for themselves. Governor Kemp in GA is the poster boy for these concerns. This is a guy who claimed not to know well into April that the virus could be spread by asymptomatic carriers, making him perhaps the only conscious person in America to be so thoroughly ignorant. Prove me wrong, even w/in reason as opposed to an absolute 100% standard, and loosening restrictions on a staggered, individualized basis could makes sense. Until then, the power of exponents and the futility of borders have to be the controlling factors.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I have such mixed feelings about these reopenings. On the surface it seems a lot of the rural counties near me should be loosening a lot of these restrictions. There is one county in west Tennessee that doesn't have any confirmed cases. Others have 1-5.
Jump just over the border to Graves County in extreme western Kentucky and it's a very different scenario. It is a very rural area that has over 100 cases and 11 deaths. A chunk of that comes out of one nursing home.
I honestly have no idea exactly what we should be doing but I'm also afraid we are fucked.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The only reason governments are pushing so hard to re-open is because they can't afford the unemployment claims. If they re-open (but people refuse to go into work, or companies don't re-open after the quarantine is lifted), they can wash their hands of them. States are projected to go broke because of the unemployment benefits

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:The only reason governments are pushing so hard to re-open is because they can't afford the unemployment claims. If they re-open (but people refuse to go into work, or companies don't re-open after the quarantine is lifted), they can wash their hands of them. States are projected to go broke because of the unemployment benefits
this seems to be the case in Georgia. a former journalist for the Atl Journal-Constitution had a good facebook post about it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:The only reason governments are pushing so hard to re-open is because they can't afford the unemployment claims. If they re-open (but people refuse to go into work, or companies don't re-open after the quarantine is lifted), they can wash their hands of them. States are projected to go broke because of the unemployment benefits
this seems to be the case in Georgia. a former journalist for the Atl Journal-Constitution had a good facebook post about it.
Yeah, that article was a very good explanation of the motivations, concerns and machinations of the powers that be.

But in the end, it depends on what average people do. If they go out early & often and spend money when they do, that's one set of outcomes. If they stay home or just "window shop" (i.e. don't spend money), all those newly rehired, ineligible for unemployment workers will just get laid off or fired again (and a wave of businesses will go under at that point, having exhausted whatever reserves they may have had).

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

they will all have to close again when the second wave hits

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote: But in the end, it depends on what average people do. If they go out early & often and spend money when they do, that's one set of outcomes. If they stay home or just "window shop" (i.e. don't spend money), all those newly rehired, ineligible for unemployment workers will just get laid off or fired again (and a wave of businesses will go under at that point, having exhausted whatever reserves they may have had).
At least those average people will get to decide for themselves.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: But in the end, it depends on what average people do. If they go out early & often and spend money when they do, that's one set of outcomes. If they stay home or just "window shop" (i.e. don't spend money), all those newly rehired, ineligible for unemployment workers will just get laid off or fired again (and a wave of businesses will go under at that point, having exhausted whatever reserves they may have had).

We need to define average people.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

my COVID-19 haircut. The "Larry Fine".

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:man this sucks.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2292YS

true that. so much, so wrong. & the war hasn't even hit yet. if i lived in iran, i would be digging a very deep hole to hide in. the pre event propaganda started long ago. it's almost inevitable. nothing like a nice armed conflict to jump start an economy. is going to be ugly dealing with that & the next wave of the virus concurrently.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The CDC has updated the list of symptoms for COVID-19.

Previous list of symptoms:
shortness of breath
cough
fever
Additions to list:
Chills
Repeated shaking with chills
Muscle pain
Headache
Sore throat
New loss of taste or smell

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I know it's illegal but I wash my money. Any bills I get back in trasactions goes in a special landering bag and my change goes in boiling water. I also take off my cloths on the front porch and walk around the house to the back porch where my shower is. (C. Lieske loved the tree frogs that hung out in there) Our grocerys stay on the front porch for 48 hours which the dogs discovered right off the bat. :D
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I haven’t been to work in 53 days. I’ve done work from home, but haven’t physically been on campus for over 7 weeks

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:

Ah, the libertarian's dilemma. Nobody decides just for themselves. If you patronize a shop, I'm more likely to be called back to work and then my "choice" is to work against my will, endangering not just me but my frail, elderly mother and young child w/ cancer, both of whom live w/ me, or lose my only income (unemployment). If you're the vice president and you walk through a freakin' hospital w/out a mask, you endanger dozens and dozens of people plus all the people they might endanger or you may be putting yourself in more danger which is no big deal because you only come into close unprotected contact w/ the entire leadership of the US government on a daily basis. The American myth of the lone individual doing his or her own thing and thereby increasing the common good may exist in some places, but not many.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:

Ah, the libertarian's dilemma. Nobody decides just for themselves. If you patronize a shop, I'm more likely to be called back to work and then my "choice" is to work against my will, endangering not just me but my frail, elderly mother and young child w/ cancer, both of whom live w/ me, or lose my only income (unemployment). If you're the vice president and you walk through a freakin' hospital w/out a mask, you endanger dozens and dozens of people plus all the people they might endanger or you may be putting yourself in more danger which is no big deal because you only come into close unprotected contact w/ the entire leadership of the US government on a daily basis. The American myth of the lone individual doing his or her own thing and thereby increasing the common good may exist in some places, but not many.

Freedom! Get your damn government out of my life and concentrate on getting those consumer stimulus and corporate bailout checks in our hands! Freedom!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That reminded me of the huge plot twist of the LJ years, where he railed against against welfare and govt. assistance for years, only to admit that he was on government assistance himself

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:That reminded me of the huge plot twist of the LJ years, where he railed against against welfare and govt. assistance for years, only to admit that he was on government assistance himself
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:That reminded me of the huge plot twist of the LJ years, where he railed against against welfare and govt. assistance for years, only to admit that he was on government assistance himself
hahaha i missed that. perfect.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:

Now, now, Bubba. Mike just wanted to make sure he was able to look those health workers in the eye and... Oh, wait...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote: Ah, the libertarian's dilemma. Nobody decides just for themselves. If you patronize a shop, I'm more likely to be called back to work and then my "choice" is to work against my will, endangering not just me but my frail, elderly mother and young child w/ cancer, both of whom live w/ me, or lose my only income (unemployment). If you're the vice president and you walk through a freakin' hospital w/out a mask, you endanger dozens and dozens of people plus all the people they might endanger or you may be putting yourself in more danger which is no big deal because you only come into close unprotected contact w/ the entire leadership of the US government on a daily basis. The American myth of the lone individual doing his or her own thing and thereby increasing the common good may exist in some places, but not many.
First the shop keeper has to decide whether to open. Then the worker decides whether to go back to work. I prefer both of those choices to government force.

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Ah, the libertarian's dilemma. Nobody decides just for themselves. If you patronize a shop, I'm more likely to be called back to work and then my "choice" is to work against my will, endangering not just me but my frail, elderly mother and young child w/ cancer, both of whom live w/ me, or lose my only income (unemployment). If you're the vice president and you walk through a freakin' hospital w/out a mask, you endanger dozens and dozens of people plus all the people they might endanger or you may be putting yourself in more danger which is no big deal because you only come into close unprotected contact w/ the entire leadership of the US government on a daily basis. The American myth of the lone individual doing his or her own thing and thereby increasing the common good may exist in some places, but not many.
First the shop keeper has to decide whether to open. Then the worker decides whether to go back to work. I prefer both of those choices to government force.
the governor of Iowa, Kim Reynolds, stated that if the business is open and the worker decides the conditions are not safe and doesn't return to work, that it's effectively a resignation and the worker is not entitled to unemployment.

so it's not that simple. at least in Iowa.