Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
chuckrh wrote:some reports from ground zero in the USA. probably too little too late but needs to be done. i'm hoping to be set up for a test when i see doctor on tuesday. feeling pretty crappy. 50/50 that its the virus vs chemo side effects. i tried to get 1 2 weeks ago but because i didn't have all of the symptoms (just some) couldn't do it due to the lack of kits. hoping that has changed because i want to know. won't really change my behavior as i am already isolating myself but obviously concerned with the underlying stuff. the below or similar is probably coming soon to other cities in US if it hasn't already. be well & safe out there.
thoughts and prayers, chuck
Thanks, Clams. You too!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

delete. fat fingers

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Things are still a mess in Washington state (see link below). I was supposed to see 1 of my doctors today & was going to get set up for a test. They called yesterday & cancelled my appointment because I have some but not all of virus symptoms. So I asked about a test & was told I still can't get one because there aren't enough kits. I called my other doctor & got the same message & that it didn't sound like COVID 19. Given that the manifestations differ from person to person I'm not happy with this prognosis over the phone. Evidently the WHO message about test, test, test hasn't been received yet. I still do not feel well at all & am going to pursue some other avenues toward a test. A pharmacy chain has set up a drive up test station near where I live but no one knows what the criteria there is yet. My doctor did take me off the new chemo medicine. At this point, I haven't had effective RA therapy since late last fall & the RA is on the rampage. It is getting very hard to get around. As indicated in the article below, there is much confusion in the health care system here with opposing messages being put forth depending on who you talk to. The graph from Mr DDD above shows we are rapidly approaching 1000 cases in the state. I think that if the authorities ever get their act together & everyone who needs a test gets one, that number is going to increase greatly. I am still acting responsibly with isolation, etc & trying to get tested since I am high risk. It is depressing though. I should be seeing the rheumatologist if for no other reason than to have my blood tested to make sure the drug I just stopped hasn't caused another problem. It is dangerous stuff. Also, to figure out the next step. The current model clearly isn't working & the damage is accumulating rapidly.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... f-callers/

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:Things are still a mess in Washington state (see link below). I was supposed to see 1 of my doctors today & was going to get set up for a test. They called yesterday & cancelled my appointment because I have some but not all of virus symptoms. So I asked about a test & was told I still can't get one because there aren't enough kits. I called my other doctor & got the same message & that it didn't sound like COVID 19. Given that the manifestations differ from person to person I'm not happy with this prognosis over the phone. Evidently the WHO message about test, test, test hasn't been received yet. I still do not feel well at all & am going to pursue some other avenues toward a test. A pharmacy chain has set up a drive up test station near where I live but no one knows what the criteria there is yet. My doctor did take me off the new chemo medicine. At this point, I haven't had effective RA therapy since late last fall & the RA is on the rampage. It is getting very hard to get around. As indicated in the article below, there is much confusion in the health care system here with opposing messages being put forth depending on who you talk to. The graph from Mr DDD above shows we are rapidly approaching 1000 cases in the state. I think that if the authorities ever get their act together & everyone who needs a test gets one, that number is going to increase greatly. I am still acting responsibly with isolation, etc & trying to get tested since I am high risk. It is depressing though. I should be seeing the rheumatologist if for no other reason than to have my blood tested to make sure the drug I just stopped hasn't caused another problem. It is dangerous stuff. Also, to figure out the next step. The current model clearly isn't working & the damage is accumulating rapidly.

Chuck, too bad you're not an NBA star or a big time hollywood actor because those folks don't seem to have any trouble getting tested when they need it.
If you don't run you rust

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
chuckrh wrote:Things are still a mess in Washington state (see link below). I was supposed to see 1 of my doctors today & was going to get set up for a test. They called yesterday & cancelled my appointment because I have some but not all of virus symptoms. So I asked about a test & was told I still can't get one because there aren't enough kits. I called my other doctor & got the same message & that it didn't sound like COVID 19. Given that the manifestations differ from person to person I'm not happy with this prognosis over the phone. Evidently the WHO message about test, test, test hasn't been received yet. I still do not feel well at all & am going to pursue some other avenues toward a test. A pharmacy chain has set up a drive up test station near where I live but no one knows what the criteria there is yet. My doctor did take me off the new chemo medicine. At this point, I haven't had effective RA therapy since late last fall & the RA is on the rampage. It is getting very hard to get around. As indicated in the article below, there is much confusion in the health care system here with opposing messages being put forth depending on who you talk to. The graph from Mr DDD above shows we are rapidly approaching 1000 cases in the state. I think that if the authorities ever get their act together & everyone who needs a test gets one, that number is going to increase greatly. I am still acting responsibly with isolation, etc & trying to get tested since I am high risk. It is depressing though. I should be seeing the rheumatologist if for no other reason than to have my blood tested to make sure the drug I just stopped hasn't caused another problem. It is dangerous stuff. Also, to figure out the next step. The current model clearly isn't working & the damage is accumulating rapidly.

Chuck, too bad you're not an NBA star or a big time hollywood actor because those folks don't seem to have any trouble getting tested when they need it.
my thought exactly! you would think they would want to test the high risk people. the social distancing thing is all well & good but it is rather late. it's also a smokescreen to cover up the huge problems with what is really needed. i need to see the doc but can't because i have the symptoms but i can't get a test to get the all clear either. its a cluster mess.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

chuck, thinking good thoughts for you. hang in there man.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Stones Cancelled.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pearlbeer wrote:Stones Cancelled.
they are all in the high risk group.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:chuck, thinking good thoughts for you. hang in there man.
thank you

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm finally getting tested today. i've been trying to get one for over 2 weeks. i had to diplomatically pitch a minor fit & point out that it would be logical to test at risk group even if they only had some of the symptoms. there are a real lot of variables in my situation. could take up to a week for results. the testing situation in seattle is still in pretty bad shape. fingers crossed.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:I'm finally getting tested today. i've been trying to get one for over 2 weeks. i had to diplomatically pitch a minor fit & point out that it would be logical to test at risk group even if they only had some of the symptoms. there are a real lot of variables in my situation. could take up to a week for results. the testing situation in seattle is still in pretty bad shape. fingers crossed.
Good luck, Chuck. Stay safe.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:I'm finally getting tested today. i've been trying to get one for over 2 weeks. i had to diplomatically pitch a minor fit & point out that it would be logical to test at risk group even if they only had some of the symptoms. there are a real lot of variables in my situation. could take up to a week for results. the testing situation in seattle is still in pretty bad shape. fingers crossed.
Good luck, Chuck. Stay safe.
thank you

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:Stones Cancelled.
they are all in the high risk group.
Except Keith Richards. That which didn't kill him made him stronger.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry to hear about your frustrations and difficulties, Chuck. Sucks big time for sure. Glad that at least you'll finally get tested.

Don't know what your living situation is but at least around here plenty of people are offering help to those who need it - shopping, filling 'scripts, etc. Don't be shy about accepting that kind of help or asking for it if there's a vehicle for doing so, e.g. a neighborhood website or town sponsored help line.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:Sorry to hear about your frustrations and difficulties, Chuck. Sucks big time for sure. Glad that at least you'll finally get tested.

Don't know what your living situation is but at least around here plenty of people are offering help to those who need it - shopping, filling 'scripts, etc. Don't be shy about accepting that kind of help or asking for it if there's a vehicle for doing so, e.g. a neighborhood website or town sponsored help line.
thanks, Jeff. we'll hope the test comes back negative. i've been very careful & am doing the shelter in place thing. if i need drugs or groceries am going at nonpeak times & wearing a mask. i had some around from when i was working & had to go in post chemo.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Sorry to hear about your frustrations and difficulties, Chuck. Sucks big time for sure. Glad that at least you'll finally get tested.

thanks, Jeff. we'll hope the test comes back negative. i've been very careful & am doing the shelter in place thing. if i need drugs or groceries am going at nonpeak times & wearing a mask. i had some around from when i was working & had to go in post chemo.
Yeah, it's amazing the number and range of "accessories" one compiles in connection w/ chemo.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

If we have months of shut downs, the fallout is going to be worse than the damage done by the virus.

We have to get tests and start isolating infected individuals and vulnerable populations while allowing the healthy folks to carry on as normal. If we don't, it's going to be the actual end of everything. Society will collapse if you shut everything down indefinitely for a year.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

It is already happening out here. Not in my county, just all the places I like to visit.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 07-tbla-20
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

LBRod wrote:It is already happening out here. Not in my county, just all the places I like to visit.

That sounds less severe than these announcements insinuate, but that couple at the start of the article, well, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Iowa's instituting unemployment right away for people who can't work as a result of this, but who knows when the money gets there? If people can't create income and can't provide for themselves, I fear this is going to get much, much worse than the worst case virus death numbers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
LBRod wrote:It is already happening out here. Not in my county, just all the places I like to visit.

That sounds less severe than these announcements insinuate, but that couple at the start of the article, well, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Iowa's instituting unemployment right away for people who can't work as a result of this, but who knows when the money gets there? If people can't create income and can't provide for themselves, I fear this is going to get much, much worse than the worst case virus death numbers.
Yeah, if you extrapolate the trends out even a little bit we're looking at something we've never seen before, probably surpassing the great depression, moderated only by the fact that fully extrapolated disaster scenarios hardly ever play out to their logical conclusion. I think the reason nobody's really talking about anything more than a "recession" is that everyone is too scared to grapple w/ the worst case scenarios.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

If the Cheeto-in-Chief had gotten out ahead of this in January, we'd have more tests, and tests would give us actual data about who has this, who doesn't, and how it's spreading. But no, we had to make sure that the billionaires stayed rich and that Trump's reelection campaign could continue uninterrupted.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:If the Cheeto-in-Chief had gotten out ahead of this in January, we'd have more tests, and tests would give us actual data about who has this, who doesn't, and how it's spreading. But no, we had to make sure that the billionaires stayed rich and that Trump's reelection campaign could continue uninterrupted.
Yep. My (glass half empty) fear is:

You have a confused population
That is now scared
And told to isolate (and essentially fear others)
Resources become constrained, the economy is unstable
And boredom sets in
....and said population is heavily armed

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Yeah, if you extrapolate the trends out even a little bit we're looking at something we've never seen before, probably surpassing the great depression, moderated only by the fact that fully extrapolated disaster scenarios hardly ever play out to their logical conclusion. I think the reason nobody's really talking about anything more than a "recession" is that everyone is too scared to grapple w/ the worst case scenarios.
It's a true Sophie's choice. If you allow life/commerce to go on as it was, more people will die for sure. If you shut everything down for more than a month (and even that might do it), you're opening a massive can of worms whose damage seems harder to quantify than the viral loss of life, which seems a bit more certain. People need to work, generate income, and have meaning. If you take that away for too long - Jesus...

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opin ... Es52CEatL4

This gives some insight into what's to come
If you don't run you rust

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

test was unpleasant done by a doctor in full gown out on the street with me sitting in my car. results monday or tuesday.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
Zip City wrote:If the Cheeto-in-Chief had gotten out ahead of this in January, we'd have more tests, and tests would give us actual data about who has this, who doesn't, and how it's spreading. But no, we had to make sure that the billionaires stayed rich and that Trump's reelection campaign could continue uninterrupted.
Yep. My (glass half empty) fear is:

You have a confused population
That is now scared
And told to isolate (and essentially fear others)
Resources become constrained, the economy is unstable
And boredom sets in
....and said population is heavily armed

2 thousand 2 zero
Party over
OOPS!
Outta time
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:test was unpleasant done by a doctor in full gown out on the street with me sitting in my car. results monday or tuesday.
It's a big long swab through the nose to the throat, right?
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
chuckrh wrote:test was unpleasant done by a doctor in full gown out on the street with me sitting in my car. results monday or tuesday.
It's a big long swab through the nose to the throat, right?

spinning swab. both nostrils, about 10 seconds each side. painful. i had to lie down when i got home

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:

All the bars are closed. Pretty damn severe.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.