Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Zip City »

I just posted four more. I can keep going until I find one you like
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I'm burning one down as we speak in honor of yall right here on on the University of Salt Lake campus, Wish you were here. Sound check was nasty and included Heathens.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:30 pm
tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm

The easiest way to get people to willingly give over their personal freedom is to convince them it’s for their safety. Then take the ones who comply and strike their ego about how they’re good patriotic Americans doing their part who care about others. Then shame the ones who don’t and you’ve got yourself a nice wedge issue. Look around you. That’s exactly what’s happening. If this
Doesn’t all sound familiar it should. The same template was used for the war on terrorism.
i actually did jack squat about the war on terrorism.
You got the Patriot Act and with it less freedom than you once had. To me the Patriot Act qualifies as a lot of squat but you might feel differently I don’t know. You also got a war that has been going on for nearly twenty years. I was there during the first months. So if I had a son born then he could now be over there himself. Nobody even thinks about it anymore and damn few people care. Lots of dead people spread out over twenty years but now it’s just accepted as part of life because safety. Maybe that isn’t jack squat to some of y’all but it is to me.
you raise good points about all of that and i agree with you.

i was just saying that i didn't have any personal involvement in any of that, but i got a vaccine. does that make me some sort of authoritarian state enabler?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think a lot of people "give a squat" about the shit show that was Iraq/Afghanistan. Happily I wised up early (I was in high school when Operation Desert Shit Storm started) and knew that what this country claimed to be fighting for was some happy horseshit. I hate how many people lost their lives to fatten the wallets of war profiteers.

And Cole, I say none of that to insult your service (or anyone else's), and I don't for a second question your choice to serve.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Union Transfer is a mid-sized rock venue in Philly. It's where the Truckers have played their last 2 or 3 shows in Philly. I've got tickets to see Japanese Breakfast there on Friday night, their first of 5 (count em, 5!) sold out shows at the venue. It's gonna be a grand reopening of sorts - Union Transfer's first shows in 18 months since the pandemic. I got an email from UT today announcing that, per the band's request, you need to show proof of vaxx or a negative covid test within 48 hours of the show in order to enter the venue. No proof, no entry. Also they are "requesting" that all attendees be masked for the show, except when eating or drinking. Seems like lots of employers, businesses, restaurants, venues, etc are heading in this direction. Anti-vaxxers are starting to get squeezed out.

Here's the email in full:

Hello! We are excited to welcome everyone back for our very first shows in seventeen months! We wanted to pass along this update for all ticket holders for the upcoming Japanese Breakfast shows on August 6 – 7 – 8 - 10 and 11.

The band has requested that all attendees for the remainder of their tour be vaccinated OR have tested negative for Covid in the 48 hours prior to attending a show.
If you are vaccinated, we ask that you please bring your vaccination card, a copy of your vaccination card, or have a legible photo of your vaccination card on your phone.

If you are unvaccinated, please bring a printed or digital copy of your recent negative Covid–19 test results (48 hrs from the date of the show).

If you cannot furnish proof of either a vaccine or negative test, we will refund your tickets in full, BUT, unfortunately, you will not be permitted inside the venue.

Additionally, we at Union Transfer will be asking all patrons, along with all staff, to please wear a mask inside for the duration of the show, except when eating or drinking.

As mentioned above these our very first shows back. This, in all likelihood, will be a constantly evolving process as we progress and learn throughout our summer/fall calendar. We kindly ask for your patience as we navigate these new and often changing waters. After this week we will examine and adjust what has worked / not worked. Our goal is to do our best in keeping things relatively safe for everyone while making sure it's still a fun night for all.

We value your feedback and will send all ticket holders an anonymous survey which they can complete at the end of the night. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to info@utphilly.com with any questions, ideas, thoughts or concerns and we will get back to you as quickly as possible.

xo, UT
If you don't run you rust

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:12 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm

i actually did jack squat about the war on terrorism.
You got the Patriot Act and with it less freedom than you once had. To me the Patriot Act qualifies as a lot of squat but you might feel differently I don’t know. You also got a war that has been going on for nearly twenty years. I was there during the first months. So if I had a son born then he could now be over there himself. Nobody even thinks about it anymore and damn few people care. Lots of dead people spread out over twenty years but now it’s just accepted as part of life because safety. Maybe that isn’t jack squat to some of y’all but it is to me.

i was just saying that i didn't have any personal involvement in any of that, but i got a vaccine. does that make me some sort of authoritarian state enabler?
The pint I’m making is the war on terror was used as an excuse to allow the government to become even bigger and more powerful and enough people were willing to keep their mouths shut about it due in no small part to their belief that it was for their own safety. And those measures have never gone away along with the crop of new agencies that popped up. Covid is being used to make the government more intrusive and lots of people are practically thanking them for it because they think it’s for their safety. And I believe that just like with the war on terror the pandemic is never going away. After everyone is forced to get the vaccine there will just be some new requirement with promises of “My fellow Americans if you will only just do this one more thing we will defeat this virus at last and you can return to life as you once new it.” but that will be placating horse shit. I want to be wrong. I really want to be wrong. But I wasn’t wrong last year when I said the minute life started returning to normal the fear machine would be cranked up again. I hope you are right and I’m wrong.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm
I think a lot of people "give a squat" about the shit show that was Iraq/Afghanistan. Happily I wised up early (I was in high school when Operation Desert Shit Storm started) and knew that what this country claimed to be fighting for was some happy horseshit. I hate how many people lost their lives to fatten the wallets of war profiteers.

And Cole, I say none of that to insult your service (or anyone else's), and I don't for a second question your choice to serve.
I know, man. I didn’t think you meant that. I appreciate you making it clear though. Zip my opinion on the articles about Florida downplaying COVID numbers is that DeSantis is believed to be a rising star in the Republican Party and likely a problem for Democrats in the future as he is pretty popular, very conservative, and sneakier than Trump. As I’ve said before it’s the Republican of the moment thing. The current one is always the worst one in the history of ever. He’s getting the Barney Fife treatment from the press and being nipped in the bud.

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:22 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

The pint I’m making is the war on terror was used as an excuse to allow the government to become even bigger and more powerful and enough people were willing to keep their mouths shut about it due in no small part to their belief that it was for their own safety. And those measures have never gone away along with the crop of new agencies that popped up. Covid is being used to make the government more intrusive and lots of people are practically thanking them for it because they think it’s for their safety. And I believe that just like with the war on terror the pandemic is never going away. After everyone is forced to get the vaccine there will just be some new requirement with promises of “My fellow Americans if you will only just do this one more thing we will defeat this virus at last and you can return to life as you once new it.” but that will be placating horse shit. I want to be wrong. I really want to be wrong. But I wasn’t wrong last year when I said the minute life started returning to normal the fear machine would be cranked up again. I hope you are right and I’m wrong.
i get it. Barbara Lee was a visionary, the only one to vote against it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_sxilhyV0

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

i get it. Barbara Lee was a visionary, the only one to vote against it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_sxilhyV0
God bless that woman. Bush, Cheney et al were when I knew I was no longer a Republican.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Apropos of Clams’ post up there, that’s part of why I’ve been hesitant too. What good does it do me to get the vaccine if I still am requested to wear that stupid mask and go around showing my papers?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
You may be right about what will happen and if it does happen it will be a very bad thing. But I don't see how you can say it's already happening. As far as I can see, the government's handling of the covid pandemic crisis is distinguished largely by failure, various reprises of Keystone Kops and the spending of money it doesn't have, which is surely nothing new. I don't see any new agencies, I don't see any new powers, I see the government being frustrated at every turn and I see confidence in government and belief in what the government says falling to all time lows. Yeah, all of that could be used as an excuse to pass restrictive, intrusive, anti-freedom measures but it hasn't happened yet. What i see is the free market acting to make being unvaccinated a pain in the ass and a status like being a smoker, but those are private actors taking action in a governmental vacuum.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PS The reauthorizations of the Patriot Act are among the most cowardly actions Congress has ever taken. They can't even be justified by panic or the "fog of war" or whatever bullshit they used to excuse the original disaster. If anyone wants to say that there's no difference between Dems and Reps (a view w/ which I generally disagree) this is the place to look.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:07 pm
PS The reauthorizations of the Patriot Act are among the most cowardly actions Congress has ever taken. They can't even be justified by panic or the "fog of war" or whatever bullshit they used to excuse the original disaster. If anyone wants to say that there's no difference between Dems and Reps (a view w/ which I generally disagree) this is the place to look.
Amen brother. I HATE the Patriot Act. I don’t know what the consensus here is on Edward Snowden. Maybe there’s not one but I don’t remember him ever being discussed. When he was on Rogan that removed any doubts I had that Cheney was as bad as people said he was and Bush didn’t or couldn’t do anything to stop him. When I say couldn’t I mean didn’t have the nuts.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:59 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
You may be right about what will happen and if it does happen it will be a very bad thing. But I don't see how you can say it's already happening. As far as I can see, the government's handling of the covid pandemic crisis is distinguished largely by failure, various reprises of Keystone Kops and the spending of money it doesn't have, which is surely nothing new. I don't see any new agencies, I don't see any new powers, I see the government being frustrated at every turn and I see confidence in government and belief in what the government says falling to all time lows. Yeah, all of that could be used as an excuse to pass restrictive, intrusive, anti-freedom measures but it hasn't happened yet. What i see is the free market acting to make being unvaccinated a pain in the ass and a status like being a smoker, but those are private actors taking action in a governmental vacuum.
Well you got me again. That’s twice in two days. Y’all want Cole dealt with send bubba. Keystone Cops is a description a friend of mine used earlier today for the same thing. I guess I’m projecting my concern over what I think is coming onto the here and now. It has been a damn train wreck for sure.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Well you got me again.
No gotcha about it. Just trying to compare notes/thoughts and figure some shit out. I figure your well justified warning balances my saying "not yet" but even if that were not the case, we're all just trying to get to some truth.
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm
I don’t know what the consensus here is on Edward Snowden. Maybe there’s not one but I don’t remember him ever being discussed. When he was on Rogan that removed any doubts I had that Cheney was as bad as people said he was and Bush didn’t or couldn’t do anything to stop him. When I say couldn’t I mean didn’t have the nuts.
I sort of remember snowden being talked about a bit but I don't remember anything like a consensus developing. My own recollection was that I was never sure who to believe or how much to believe them so I was cautious. But yeah, in retrospect, the worst thing W did was essentially turn over the government to Cheney. That was some scary shit and made Nancy Reagan look good (I think it's pretty well understood now that she basically ran the White House during Reagan's last year or 2 but she was far more of a caretaker or protector of the legacy than an independent actor). McMurtry's song about Cheney & Bush, "Cheney's Toy," is imho pretty bad music but pretty good political commentary.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Well you got me again.
No gotcha about it. Just trying to compare notes/thoughts and figure some shit out. I figure your well justified warning balances my saying "not yet" but even if that were not the case, we're all just trying to get to some truth.
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm
I don’t know what the consensus here is on Edward Snowden. Maybe there’s not one but I don’t remember him ever being discussed. When he was on Rogan that removed any doubts I had that Cheney was as bad as people said he was and Bush didn’t or couldn’t do anything to stop him. When I say couldn’t I mean didn’t have the nuts.
I sort of remember snowden being talked about a bit but I don't remember anything like a consensus developing. My own recollection was that I was never sure who to believe or how much to believe them so I was cautious. But yeah, in retrospect, the worst thing W did was essentially turn over the government to Cheney. That was some scary shit and made Nancy Reagan look good (I think it's pretty well understood now that she basically ran the White House during Reagan's last year or 2 but she was far more of a caretaker or protector of the legacy than an independent actor). McMurtry's song about Cheney & Bush, "Cheney's Toy," is imho pretty bad music but pretty good political commentary.
The you got me part was good natured. Hey if I’m wrong I’m wrong. It’s not that I have to be right. There are a lot of times when discussing politics that I want to be wrong. Like mine and tinnitus’ exchange up there. I hope he’s right.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
I don't see any new agencies, I don't see any new powers.
It reads to me that Cole was talking about the war on terror, and Homeland Security and the TSA are what immediately came to my mind.
At the moment I have not seen any new agencies for the current crisis, just some of the old agencies expanding their power and control.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
It reads to me that Cole was talking about the war on terror, and Homeland Security and the TSA are what immediately came to my mind.
At the moment I have not seen any new agencies for the current crisis, just some of the old agencies expanding their power and control.
I get the first part but not the second. What power? What control?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:26 pm
Zip City wrote:

I know, man. I didn’t think you meant that. I appreciate you making it clear though. Zip my opinion on the articles about Florida downplaying COVID numbers is that DeSantis is believed to be a rising star in the Republican Party and likely a problem for Democrats in the future as he is pretty popular, very conservative, and sneakier than Trump. As I’ve said before it’s the Republican of the moment thing. The current one is always the worst one in the history of ever. He’s getting the Barney Fife treatment from the press and being nipped in the bud.
Or he was suppressing the numbers and a lot of people reported on it.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:05 pm
LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Shall we start with the CDC flexing into areas that are none of their business?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:04 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Maybe. I can’t say for sure that he wasn’t. But this kind of suggests that he can be everywhere at once. Wouldn’t it require nearly all the doctors in Florida to enter into a conspiracy of suppression with him? Why would they do that? How is that even possible?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LBRod wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:56 am
beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:

And the federal government deciding who’s jobs are “essential”. And lots of people are strangely comfortable with it. Because safety. That ought to scare the shit out of people.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:18 am
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Maybe. I can’t say for sure that he wasn’t. But this kind of suggests that he can be everywhere at once. Wouldn’t it require nearly all the doctors in Florida to enter into a conspiracy of suppression with him? Why would they do that? How is that even possible?
My understanding is that all cases are reported to a centralized state agency who then reports the state numbers to the public.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:18 am
Zip City wrote:

My understanding is that all cases are reported to a centralized state agency who then reports the state numbers to the public.
The way this has been botched at the federal level if he can do that that efficiently maybe he should be president.

phungi

Post by phungi »

I am attempting to understand the decision to not get vaccinated, having abandoned any thought/hope that posting medical data and research might provide some context or sway intentions. In my world, false positives/false negatives (Type 1/Type II Errors) often describe the merit of a finding, or the risk of accepting results (e.g., False Positive: a person passes a driving test when they should not be on the road, versus a False Negative: A person is told they cannot drive when they are capable of being on the road)

I tried to explain vaccinations using this rubric. Please tell me what I got wrong or what I am missing

Type I Error (False Positive): I got the vaccine but didn't need it
Pros:
  1. I decreased my likelihood of getting COVID
  2. I decreased my likelihood of transmitting COVID to others who are not vax'd, including kids under the age of 12
  3. Were I to get COVID, I decreased the likelihood of serious illness, hospitalization, and death
  4. I decreased the likelihood of significantly taxing the health care industry
    1. More ER/ICU beds available
    2. Fewer COVID cases so people able to get treatment for other emergencies
    3. Fewer COVID cases so people able to get elective surgeries
Cons:
  1. I allowed a vaccine into my body, and it might have negative consequences down the road
  2. I allowed the government to control me
Type II Error: I didn't get the vaccine but needed it
Cons:
  1. I got COVID, and
    1. Transmitted it to other people who were not vax'd, including kids under the age of 12
    2. My symptoms were worse than they would be were I vax'd
    3. I needed to go to the ER/needed treatment in the ICU
    4. I died
Pros:
  1. I didn't allow a vaccine into my body
  2. The government didn't control me
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I got all sorts of thing shot into me of my own free will. Wasn’t told what any of them were. I did so for others. Then I went to places that have names I can’t pronounce where there were men with guns who wanted to kill me. I did so for others. I did this while most other people sat comfortably thousands of miles away. Some of those people called me and my brothers the bad guys. I have mostly shrugged that off. I also mostly shrug off being called out as being selfish by people who did not do any of these things and never would. I’m bringing this up for the last time because it feels too much like chest pounding. But I feel like my credibility in terms of caring about others is at least as in tact as anyone here and throwing down having gotten a vaccine in contrast to my not having done so doesn’t make me feel like it is
diminished. I think I had better stop participating in this thread now.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:15 am
I got all sorts of thing shot into me of my own free will. Wasn’t told what any of them were. I did so for others. Then I went to places that have names I can’t pronounce where there were men with guns who wanted to kill me. I did so for others. I did this while most other people sat comfortably thousands of miles away. Some of those people called me and my brothers the bad guys. I have mostly shrugged that off. I also mostly shrug off being called out as being selfish by people who did not do any of these things and never would. I’m bringing this up for the last time because it feels too much like chest pounding. But I feel like my credibility in terms of caring about others is at least as in tact as anyone here and throwing down having gotten a vaccine in contrast to my not having done so doesn’t make me feel like it is
diminished. I think I had better stop participating in this thread now.
Just when I got out, I jumped back in too deep again... Cole, please dismiss any snark or interpretation of questioning your credibility or calling you selfish... I am really trying to understand.

On the surface it would seem to me that someone who gave "everything" for others would be the first to do for others, but I really do understand your desire to not give any more for others... I have no idea what you have seen or experienced, but I do not question your morality or character.

FWIW, I wasn't talking to you, just trying to understand the decision to not get vax'd. There are a lot of reasons floating around, and a lot of people who haven't had your experiences have arrived at a similar decision. If I crossed any line, it wasn't intended.... if this is a better topic to chat about offline, drop me a PM and we can talk. Still happy to share a beer (but still no first base for you)
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:

can you define the boundary between individual choice and public health? it's a tricky line, no, esp w/ something that can spread w/o consent?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:

No doubt I'm missing something but as I see it, the CDC has been one of the biggest losers of this whole mess. Precious credibility either gone or going. Dubious leadership. Turf wars. And I don't know what areas that are none of their business you're referring to.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:18 pm
LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

can you define the boundary between individual choice and public health? it's a tricky line, no, esp w/ something that can spread w/o consent?

Can you tell me who gets to decide what is safe for everyone? What's safe for a ten year old is safe for a 99 year old? What's unsafe to a 99 year is also unsafe for a year old? See how how blanket approach doesn't work?

And if you're scared, why not mask up or stay home? If you were 99 would you be Mad at a 10 year old for not vaxxing? Not masking? Or is this just a game or trying to get everyone to do the same thing?

How bout the nih director saying kids should wear masks at home. Oh wait sorry. She retracted that. Too late bitch.
And I doubt that info would get censored off of Facebook.