Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

Texans take the early lead in the Darwin Awards race. Out of the gate at a sprint! Except for paulbeer, of course! Would be good for culling the herd except there is way too much collateral damage.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

They didn't outlaw mask wearing. Or limit your choices.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Texans take the early lead in the Darwin Awards race. Out of the gate at a sprint! Except for paulbeer, of course! Would be good for culling the herd except there is way too much collateral damage.
Hey call it like ya see it chuck. But what do you mean by "Would be good for culling the herd except there is way too much collateral damage."? If you don't mind me asking

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Decide to get sick and spread the disease (right before Spring Break, natch)?? The choice for everyone to stop wearing masks actually LIMITS the choices of those of us who are trying to protect ourselves and others. It's a selfish act

I disagree because I think if you're high risk then you should stay home. I know for myself, if I were high risk or scared, I can't Imagine shaking my fist at the rest of society and asking them to cow to me. That seems quite entitled and selfish. Not to mention that fact that plenty of people need to get on with there lives. Mental wellness is wellness, and people of all ages are suffering hard and need to get out. Ready to have human interactions, face to face.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We have choices! Like the choice to stay home because idiots are running around maskless spreading COVID. Such a great choice!

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

No doubt staying home is a terrible choice

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 pm

It's not a choice. Maskless people out in every public place takes away my choices

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:34 pm
See my hypothetical about being a security guard working for a music club. Does that count for limited choices?

I wanna drive 110 Mph but they tell me I can’t. Is that fair? My car handles great.

tinnitus photography

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:13 pm
Decide to get sick and spread the disease (right before Spring Break, natch)?? The choice for everyone to stop wearing masks actually LIMITS the choices of those of us who are trying to protect ourselves and others. It's a selfish act

I disagree because I think if you're high risk then you should stay home. I know for myself, if I were high risk or scared, I can't Imagine shaking my fist at the rest of society and asking them to cow to me. That seems quite entitled and selfish. Not to mention that fact that plenty of people need to get on with there lives. Mental wellness is wellness, and people of all ages are suffering hard and need to get out. Ready to have human interactions, face to face.
How about the medical workers who deal with the aftermath? Do they factor in the equation at all?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:41 pm
LBRod wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:34 pm
See my hypothetical about being a security guard working for a music club. Does that count for limited choices?

I wanna drive 110 Mph but they tell me I can’t. Is that fair? My car handles great.
Additionally, the person who follows the speed limit and whose car doesn't "handle great" should just stay home.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:24 pm
Zip City wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am
boyyourself wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:05 am
Hip hip hooray for Texas I
there's no chance we see a huge spike in cases next week, right? Texans are well known for self control and following guidelines....
How dare they let people decide for themselves.
Rod, this sounds great. It really does. It just doesn't have much to do with reality. It's a communicable virus. There is no such thing as "deciding for themselves" without deciding for others. Is that worse than government deciding for others so that most people can't decide for themselves? Let the philosophers debate but whatever one's opinion on that, I don't see how it can be argued that "deciding for themselves" is better. At most it's a tie.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:21 am
LBRod wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:24 pm
Zip City wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:47 am

there's no chance we see a huge spike in cases next week, right? Texans are well known for self control and following guidelines....
How dare they let people decide for themselves.
Rod, this sounds great. It really does. It just doesn't have much to do with reality. It's a communicable virus. There is no such thing as "deciding for themselves" without deciding for others. Is that worse than government deciding for others so that most people can't decide for themselves? Let the philosophers debate but whatever one's opinion on that, I don't see how it can be argued that "deciding for themselves" is better. At most it's a tie.
PS As I've said before circumstances matter. Deciding for one's self is different when one lives in a county with 4 other people per square mile than when you live with 17,000 other people in your square mile of home ground.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Hey call it like ya see it chuck. But what do you mean by "Would be good for culling the herd except there is way too much collateral damage."? If you don't mind me asking
I mean that it would be ok if just the anti mask/vaccine people got sick except they infect those that are taking the larger view as a member of society & doing their part to fight the virus. I have a good friend in England that has been in ICU for weeks fighting for his life. He almost lost the fight but is slowly coming back. Just had a setback though. He's still got weeks to go. Consequently, I take this very seriously. I'm high risk myself through no fault of my own. It's all a symptom of our entitlement generation. Me me me. So, if people don't want to get vaxxed etc, perhaps they should perhaps be moved to something akin to leper colonies & let nature sort it all out to protect the rest of us. When it's all over, they can come out. More & more these days freedom is just an illusion anyway.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

“Let people decide for themselves” sounds an awful lot like LJ back in the day saying “let factories pollute, the consumer will just choose not to buy that factory’s stuff”

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:12 pm
boyyourself wrote:

It's not a choice. Maskless people out in every public place takes away my choices
So you're saying someone else is making a choice for you to have to say home?
I too have a problem with that. So do tens of millions of other people.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 am
boyyourself wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
I mean that it would be ok if just the anti mask/vaccine people got sick except they infect those that are taking the larger view as a member of society & doing their part to fight the virus. I have a good friend in England that has been in ICU for weeks fighting for his life. He almost lost the fight but is slowly coming back. Just had a setback though. He's still got weeks to go. Consequently, I take this very seriously. I'm high risk myself through no fault of my own. It's all a symptom of our entitlement generation. Me me me. So, if people don't want to get vaxxed etc, perhaps they should perhaps be moved to something akin to leper colonies & let nature sort it all out to protect the rest of us. When it's all over, they can come out. More & more these days freedom is just an illusion anyway.

Your opinion of what a larger view is is just that, your opinion. And I understand operating on the emotional level of a 7th grader, I do it too sometimes. But wishing harm on others is some weak ass shit.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:04 am
chuckrh wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

Your opinion of what a larger view is is just that, your opinion. And I understand operating on the emotional level of a 7th grader, I do it too sometimes. But wishing harm on others is some weak ass shit.
Gotta love the COVIDIOT POV :roll:

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 am
boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:04 am
chuckrh wrote:

Gotta love the COVIDIOT POV :roll:

More larger thinking?

tinnitus photography

Zip City wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am
“Let people decide for themselves” sounds an awful lot like LJ back in the day saying “let factories pollute, the consumer will just choose not to buy that factory’s stuff”
lol that sound a lot like the argument i had w/ my libertarian brother a few thanksgivings ago. he was in favor of abolishing the FDA. i asked him if he was ok w/ medicines and therapies that were not developed with regard to mandated regulations and would he be ok w/ his kids using them if needed. his response?

the companies have a financial incentive to not kill their patients.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tinnitus photography

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:01 am
Zip City wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:12 pm
boyyourself wrote:

So you're saying someone else is making a choice for you to have to say home?
I too have a problem with that. So do tens of millions of other people.
bouyyourself, have you actually been restricted from leaving your home in any way over the last year? if so i'd love to hear about the police state that kept you locked up.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Here in CA, I can leave my house, but most of the places I would like to go, and things I would like to do are not allowed.

In Texas bars and restaurants were already open at 75%, and now just plain open.
Masks were mandated, now recommended. I get emails from music venues in Texas
that have been having indoor shows for some time. They were already way more open than we are
without way worse covid stats.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I'm more concerned with kids not being able to go to school. Stuck with their parents who are out of a job. Some have taken advantage of It by creating family relations. Some have abused their kids which go un reported as they have no one, not even a teacher at school, to report. But I guess that's just my bleeding heart....😉
Personally I'm out 50 grand because a business I sold wasn't able to continue after covid so the guy quit making his payments to me. But who gives a shit. That's seriously the least of my worries. I know people that work with those make affected like migrant workers and low income families who have lost their jobs. They are fucked.
Who gets to determine when these business re open so people can have their lives back? Sleepy joe? Fauci? Maderna? Amazon?
I'm no fan of Greg Abbott, but good on Texas. My whole family lives in the panhandle and they all got covid and survived. Including my 91 yr old grandma who survived covid pneumonia. Fortunate and lucky to be sure..... but also lifestyle related and not so coincidental, perhaps. This was back in early December....people down there are ready to move on so they are and I applaud them for it. I was down there for a couple weeks, never heard anyone say, "Can you believe people aren't wearing masks?" Is that because they aren't intelligent like a Seattle intellect or some college professor? Well, none of them have college degrees I can assure you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 pm
none of them have college degrees I can assure you.
Eventually we get to the truth of the matter.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 pm
boyyourself wrote:

And what would that be?

tinnitus photography

#allopinionsonsciencematter

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:52 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 pm
boyyourself wrote:

And what would that be?
Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

That a lot of what we (the generic all inclusive we) call "political polarization" is motivated at least as much if not more by issues of class, status and fear as opposed to the substance of any particular issue. That's true in all directions and of all sides.

tinnitus photography

boyyourself wrote:
I was down there for a couple weeks, never heard anyone say, "Can you believe people aren't wearing masks?" Is that because they aren't intelligent like a Seattle intellect or some college professor? Well, none of them have college degrees I can assure you.
are infectious disease experts the only college-educated professionals whose thoughts on things don't matter? do they do their own stress and moment calculations before driving over a bridge or going in an elevator? do they like to represent themselves in court? do they do their own prostate exams?

why is it that they think they have a greater knowledge about a very specific field, as compared to people who spent decades learning and studying it?

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 pm
Zip City wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am
lol that sound a lot like the argument i had w/ my libertarian brother a few thanksgivings ago. he was in favor of abolishing the FDA. i asked him if he was ok w/ medicines and therapies that were not developed with regard to mandated regulations and would he be ok w/ his kids using them if needed. his response?

the companies have a financial incentive to not kill their patients.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paging Mr. Reynolds...Mr. R.J. Reynolds...
Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Good question and I hear what you're saying whole heartedly, and it got me thinking. But I'm gonna pull a Bubba and come back later when I have time to thoughtfully string some words together good.