Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:That reminded me of the huge plot twist of the LJ years, where he railed against against welfare and govt. assistance for years, only to admit that he was on government assistance himself
I wish he were still here. He was an inconsistent hypocritical ass, but it was kinda fun poking him with a stick.
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

tinnitus photography wrote: the governor of Iowa, Kim Reynolds, stated that if the business is open and the worker decides the conditions are not safe and doesn't return to work, that it's effectively a resignation and the worker is not entitled to unemployment.

so it's not that simple. at least in Iowa.
Like in politics, there are more than two choices.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Zip City wrote:That reminded me of the huge plot twist of the LJ years, where he railed against against welfare and govt. assistance for years, only to admit that he was on government assistance himself
Maybe it was the wheelchair and the straw he drove it and communicated with.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

LBRod wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote: the governor of Iowa, Kim Reynolds, stated that if the business is open and the worker decides the conditions are not safe and doesn't return to work, that it's effectively a resignation and the worker is not entitled to unemployment.

so it's not that simple. at least in Iowa.
Like in politics, there are more than two choices.
there are more than two choices in politics?! :lol:

signed,
sad Bernie supporter

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

tinnitus photography wrote: there are more than two choices in politics?! :lol:

signed,
sad Bernie supporter
And that is the all too common attitude that keeps the status ever so quo.

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote: there are more than two choices in politics?! :lol:

signed,
sad Bernie supporter
And that is the all too common attitude that keeps the status ever so quo.
if you think i'm not gonna vote for Biden well that's a nuclear option i can't entertain in any good conscience. status quo be damned, i've had my fucking fill of trump and his ilk. i would vote for GG Allin over Trump.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I'm in California. I believe you are in Mass. Both states have their electoral votes counted before the polls open.
My vote makes no difference. Neither does yours. Feel free to vote for whoever comes closest to agreeing with you.
There will be more than two names on my ballot. At no time have I ever suggested that anyone should vote for Trump.
I never have, and never will.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:I'm in California. I believe you are in Mass. Both states have their electoral votes counted before the polls open.
My vote makes no difference. Neither does yours. Feel free to vote for whoever comes closest to agreeing with you.
There will be more than two names on my ballot. At no time have I ever suggested that anyone should vote for Trump.
I never have, and never will.
That's the problem. Ain't that America!
Now it's dark.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

And now back from the epicenter of the Covid mess:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/end-new-y ... kdown-now/

This guy is pissed ( as well as 8 million others )

tinnitus photography

Howlinwolf wrote:And now back from the epicenter of the Covid mess:

By prolonging the coronavirus shutdown long after its core mission was accomplished
what was the core mission, and when was it accomplished? can anyone actually answer that?
Open the city. All of it. Right now. Broadway shows, beaches, Yankees games, the schools, the top of the freakin’ Empire State building. Everything.
If our elected leaders won’t save the world’s greatest city from a slow death by economic strangulation, then the people of New York must do it themselves. Barbers, tailors, nail ­salons, sporting goods stores, movie theaters and others should open their doors — while maintaining social distancing, of course —
only the Marlins or Rays can accomplish socially distant live baseball games.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

his is pure anger and frustration. Not that there's anything wrong with that. We all feel it from time to time (or more frequently) and many of us probably feel it with respect to the coronavirus lockdown. But pure anger and frustration unaccompanied by facts, research or logic doesn't belong on the front page of the newspaper.

He tells us right up front this column is all about rage, and he's not lying. That's exactly what it is and I'm sure it felt good to write. The problem is that his rage does not qualify him in the slightest to opine on anything he opines about in the column. I'm not saying he needs to be an epidemiologist or a scientist or a statistician or a doctor but it would be nice if he quoted some sources for his apparently unfounded opinion that the crisis is over and that the lockdown has served its purpose (as tin notes, w/out even identifying that purpose). The only thing remotely approaching a fact in the whole piece is his reference to Georgia which as far as I know he gets completely wrong (they're fiddling w/ their stats so nobody knows exactly what's going on but the infection seems to be spreading on an upward curve).

New Yorkers know how to socially distance? Really? How are they going to distance themselves on the subway at off hours much less at rush hour? Or on the streets for goodness sake? I How would anyone go about socially distancing on a new york city sidewalk at noon on a nice weekday or, hell at 8 pm on a rainy Sunday during "ordinary times"? Can you imagine that scene? The math/geometry of that doesn't work. This is an attempt to have one's cake by eating it and simply wishing away or ignoring reality. He then goes on to assume that the elderly should continue to be isolated, which allows him to assume the conclusion (safety for the most vulnerable) without pausing to think about what that means in the context he proposes. How exactly is that to be done? Does he understand that facilities for the elderly receive all kinds of supplies like food, medicine, equipment, linens, etc etc every day of the week? How can that be safely done if the entire delivery chain is not subject to best practices? Does he understand that there is no way to completely limit the introduction of "the outside" into the facilities because employees have to go home sometimes? It's hard enough to control for that in a best practices environment, I suggest it is impossible if we're all running around breathing all over each other. These are hard questions. Failing to address them makes his righteous indignation into a joke.

Like most of us, I often wonder something like "but what if the experts are wrong; what if the worst really is over and we could go back to "before" without much risk? Doesn't that mean we're making a huge and incredibly painful mistake on the economy?" But I wonder about it to myself, I don't say it on the front page of the newspaper without having done any investigation of the facts or consideration of the consequences.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think this is a much better take on the same subject.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... f=9thrA489

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

taking a cue from Escape from New York maybe we can blow the bridges, block the tunnels, cut the internet & other communications as a pandemic vectoring action. that's 8 million less idiots to deal with. no more wall st, madison ave, cultural imperialism, phony politicians with delusions of grandeur (trump, bloomberg, cuomo, the list is endless). doesn't sound so bad when you put it down in print. pretty good chance the country would be better off in the long run. i'm sure they would have better government cheese than anyone else..... :D

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

A Public Service Announcement:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

no social distancing on WWE Raw tonight. shocking! i suspect the four horsemen of the apocalypse will be riding out of Orlando.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

loosely related:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My wife has a lot of family and a lot of connections in east central Mississippi, the Meridian area. The little three or four county area is absolutely getting clobbered by this virus. Meridian is about 40,000 people but it is quite a rural area overall. There are over 100 deaths. I'm thinking it may be the hardest hit rural spot in the country. It is getting zero attention.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:My wife has a lot of family and a lot of connections in east central Mississippi, the Meridian area. The little three or four county area is absolutely getting clobbered by this virus. Meridian is about 40,000 people but it is quite a rural area overall. There are over 100 deaths. I'm thinking it may be the hardest hit rural spot in the country. It is getting zero attention.
That is terrible and I'm not trying to minimize the suffering. I hope adequate resources are available or being supplied to address the crisis.

I just want to ask about the lack of attention. Could there be a connection between the lack of attention being paid and the way MS has handled the virus crisis? I.e. minimizing it, opening up w/out having really shut down in the first place and opening up apparently w/out any reference to relevant metrics in a deliberative process? IOW, having said "nothing to see here," is it surprising that nobody's looking?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Went to Menard’s today. It was the first place I’ve been to that was actively turning people away who didn’t have masks.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
jr29 wrote:My wife has a lot of family and a lot of connections in east central Mississippi, the Meridian area. The little three or four county area is absolutely getting clobbered by this virus. Meridian is about 40,000 people but it is quite a rural area overall. There are over 100 deaths. I'm thinking it may be the hardest hit rural spot in the country. It is getting zero attention.
That is terrible and I'm not trying to minimize the suffering. I hope adequate resources are available or being supplied to address the crisis.

I just want to ask about the lack of attention. Could there be a connection between the lack of attention being paid and the way MS has handled the virus crisis? I.e. minimizing it, opening up w/out having really shut down in the first place and opening up apparently w/out any reference to relevant metrics in a deliberative process? IOW, having said "nothing to see here," is it surprising that nobody's looking?
I've thought a lot about it and I honestly don't know. The governor there seemed to be in line with lots of other governors across the country. I actually think their phase one "opening" was a week or two later than some of the other states in the region.
I hate being this cynical but I kinda think Meridian, Mississippi just isn't a sexy enough place to get the attention. There is a similar situation in southwest Georgia and they've gotten a little press, but not much.
I don't see things getting any better in Mississippi either. They have had their biggest single day case increases two days in a row.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

jr29 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I've thought a lot about it and I honestly don't know. The governor there seemed to be in line with lots of other governors across the country. I actually think their phase one "opening" was a week or two later than some of the other states in the region.
I hate being this cynical but I kinda think Meridian, Mississippi just isn't a sexy enough place to get the attention. There is a similar situation in southwest Georgia and they've gotten a little press, but not much.
I don't see things getting any better in Mississippi either. They have had their biggest single day case increases two days in a row.

It's part of the cultural imperialism I was talking about several posts back. For instance when the pandemic started in Seattle I had people I know in New York scoffing about it since it wasn't affecting them. 2 weeks later their tune had changed considerably & it was the end of the world. That attitude penetrates everything if you're outside of a few select cities where the "power" resides. Big part of the reason we're in the mess we are in now. The system is so corrupt & broken that it might be beyond repair.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

chuckrh wrote: That attitude penetrates everything if you're outside of a few select cities where the "power" resides. Big part of the reason we're in the mess we are in now. The system is so corrupt & broken that it might be beyond repair.
Amen

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://apple.news/AtuwHIILpRTCObhpmI3QStg

“What it’s Like to Wear a Mask in the South”

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

First person I knew directly to die from COVID-19. My high school band teacher. Made the paper because the county commissioner was a year behind me in the band. Mr Weaver was pretty old but still not a good way to go. RIP.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... lications/

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

It looks like Seattle is headed back to shelter in place. Rates of infected & deaths are trending up. A popular restaurant at the beach near where I live had 7 employees who tested positive. The health department closed them down whilst citing that proper safeguards had not been put in place. Unfortunately, the closing probably came too late. The beach area was a madhouse over the holiday weekend a week ago. Also an area about the same distance away (1-2 miles) from home has an infected rate of 20%. It's an area outside the city limits that is in the unincorporated county. Lots of immigrants & more poverty than the city side. Too damn close to home by far!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 am
It looks like Seattle is headed back to shelter in place. Rates of infected & deaths are trending up. A popular restaurant at the beach near where I live had 7 employees who tested positive. The health department closed them down whilst citing that proper safeguards had not been put in place. Unfortunately, the closing probably came too late. The beach area was a madhouse over the holiday weekend a week ago. Also an area about the same distance away (1-2 miles) from home has an infected rate of 20%. It's an area outside the city limits that is in the unincorporated county. Lots of immigrants & more poverty than the city side. Too damn close to home by far!
Yikes! That's some scary shit. I know I don't need to tell you to stay sheltered and safe. Take good care my friend.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:09 am
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 am
Yikes! That's some scary shit. I know I don't need to tell you to stay sheltered and safe. Take good care my friend.
Thanks. Think this sort of thing is going to continue until/if a vaccine is found. People are just too selfish & stupid for measures to work as well as they should. It sure is making things complicated in regards to getting medical care for the normal "fun". Been having a lot of trouble with the RA as it's now been 10 years since I've been officially fighting it. Lot of permanent damage that is starting to snowball. Glad I finally woke up & stopped working a year ago. Turns out it was good timing on that front.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

It is finally starting to hit in the rural area where I live in southeastern KY. I think some people have finally started taking it a little more serious, but I'm afraid it might be too late. Our governor mandated wearing of masks for the next 30 days in all public places, so hopefully that will help curb the spread. A former student of mine is supposed to start his professional basketball career in Ireland this fall, but he told me today the team's general manager called and is hoping to get him over there 2 or 3 weeks earlier than planned because he's afraid Ireland will cut off any visitors from the United States.