Coronavirus - COVID-19

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by chuckrh »

Shit is starting to get real in the US on this. First US death was Thursday in the Seattle area. Seemingly, the west coast is getting hit first which make sense given the trade with Asia that goes on. I'm definitely taking precautions as my immune system is compromised. I have a good friend in Italy that I'm concerned about too. She battles similar issues as me. Not to be taken lightly. Figured now would be a good time to start a thread for this. We do have Mike Pence praying for us though...what could possibly go wrong?

scotto

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Post by scotto »

As I mentioned on one of the DBT Facebooks, we're once again coming to realize that all the demons and terrors of our youth--A-bombs, communism, riots, etc.--pale in comparison to the passive combination of a simple virus and global trade. The worst part of it all is not knowing exactly what to think or how to react.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's caused quite a stir at my job. They've begun asking every department if they can teach their classes online for 2-3 weeks (if necessary). Our university does not have the technological infrastructure to do this, and those of us in the arts REQUIRE face-to-face or hands-on learning in our classes. Couple this with public performances on the calendar for April, and you can see how this might play out.

It also becomes a very interesting problem for this political primary season. What happens if they start cracking down on "mass gatherings"? Do primaries get canceled? Re-scheduled? No more rallies?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:It's caused quite a stir at my job. They've begun asking every department if they can teach their classes online for 2-3 weeks (if necessary). Our university does not have the technological infrastructure to do this, and those of us in the arts REQUIRE face-to-face or hands-on learning in our classes. Couple this with public performances on the calendar for April, and you can see how this might play out.

It also becomes a very interesting problem for this political primary season. What happens if they start cracking down on "mass gatherings"? Do primaries get canceled? Re-scheduled? No more rallies?
In Washington state, all voting is done via the mail now. It could be tough on the rallies though. There is some stuff here that hasn't hit the national media yet as they are waiting for confirmation from the CDC. Stay tuned....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

24 new cases since Saturday. Even more alarming is the rate it’s spreading in Italy.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:24 new cases since Saturday. Even more alarming is the rate it’s spreading in Italy.
although its not quite there yet, for me its another sword of damocles in addition to the ones i already live with. nervous times especially given that it looks i'm living at ground zero for the US

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I've heard rumors that a call to cancel/not cancel the Olympics will be made soon. If canceled, I would imagine a major impact to the markets.

After SARS, Ebola, etc. the nation mobilized a task force to deal with infectious diseases. This division and funding was canceled by the Trump administration, mostly because Obama did it...

You don't want 'big government' until you do, I guess. We are running from behind against this thing. The back up plan of prayer from Pence should help though.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:I've heard rumors that a call to cancel/not cancel the Olympics will be made soon. If canceled, I would imagine a major impact to the markets.

After SARS, Ebola, etc. the nation mobilized a task force to deal with infectious diseases. This division and funding was canceled by the Trump administration, mostly because Obama did it...

You don't want 'big government' until you do, I guess. We are running from behind against this thing. The back up plan of prayer from Pence should help though.
Don’t forget mother. Behind every great closeted gay man is a supportive self loathing woman :D

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

All of Italy is in lock down now. First leg of Pearl Jam tour that was to start next week is indefinitely postponed & it looks like Coachella is going to be postponed until October. Things are definitely getting crazier out there.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's really hard to judge what constitutes careful, sober responses and what's panic. Obviously the Trump Administration's response has added fuel to the confusion and panic fire which doesn't help. I went downtown today for the first time in a while, certainly the first time since any of us heard of covid19 and I thought my reaction was interesting: I was hyper aware of all the people around me, especially the ones I shared elevators with and of all the things one touches in the ordinary course of living, from staircase bannisters to elevator buttons to the payment/car retrieval process in a manned downtown parking garage. Quite different than working in my home office, lol.

If I were the responsible party I guess I'd be canceling some of these bigger public events because that's the cautious, safe position to take, but I'm guessing that in retrospect at least some of that will be seen as overreaction. And of course there's a snowball effect: The more events that are canceled the more other evemts will get canceled as no responsible party wants to be caught on the wrong side of the decision. But it does seem to me that there's a big difference between, say, SxSW, which has a zillion people coming from all over and spending significant time in confined spaces and, say, your average college class where the students have all been exposed to each other for months if not years and are not generally packed together, at least at formal school events. But then, I suppose all bets are off after spring break when who knows who has been who knows where doing who knows what with other who knows who's from who knows where.

I do hope that the hand washing mania has some lasting effects, the pre covid state of affairs on that was pretty dismal.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:It's really hard to judge what constitutes careful, sober responses and what's panic. Obviously the Trump Administration's response has added fuel to the confusion and panic fire which doesn't help. I went downtown today for the first time in a while, certainly the first time since any of us heard of covid19 and I thought my reaction was interesting: I was hyper aware of all the people around me, especially the ones I shared elevators with and of all the things one touches in the ordinary course of living, from staircase bannisters to elevator buttons to the payment/car retrieval process in a manned downtown parking garage. Quite different than working in my home office, lol.

If I were the responsible party I guess I'd be canceling some of these bigger public events because that's the cautious, safe position to take, but I'm guessing that in retrospect at least some of that will be seen as overreaction. And of course there's a snowball effect: The more events that are canceled the more other evemts will get canceled as no responsible party wants to be caught on the wrong side of the decision. But it does seem to me that there's a big difference between, say, SxSW, which has a zillion people coming from all over and spending significant time in confined spaces and, say, your average college class where the students have all been exposed to each other for months if not years and are not generally packed together, at least at formal school events. But then, I suppose all bets are off after spring break when who knows who has been who knows where doing who knows what with other who knows who's from who knows where.

I do hope that the hand washing mania has some lasting effects, the pre covid state of affairs on that was pretty dismal.
I'm finding that the perceived seriousness is related to how big the problem is where you live. So, it's getting intense where I live. Not having adequate test kits available isn't helping. I should be tested but can't get one quite yet. Bill Gates is donating a bunch of test kits to the Seattle area & I'm hoping to get one of those. Also, I see 1 of my docs in a week & that could turn things. I definitely have some symptoms just not quite enough. It could be side effects from a new chemo I started 2 months ago. Most likely that is going to go away as nothing positive is coming from it. Small town America where there are no cases isn't convinced yet. They'll take notice when the bars are closed. Several prominent restaurants in Seattle have already closed along with Emerald City Comic-con getting postponed. That's a big one. 100000 people over a weekend. I have a friend in Milan & it sounds like Seattle is what it was like there in early stages. One thing: this shit is highly contagious since no one has any immunity to it & of course there are no treatments/vaccines exist. I think this is going to get far worse before it gets better. I mean Italy has shut down the whole country!!!! & the numbers are scary there. We'll hope for the best. Stay safe everyone.
Last edited by chuckrh on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ohio universities are shutting down one by one today. Mine hasn’t made such an announcement, but I’m already figuring out how to teach my courses online.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:Ohio universities are shutting down one by one today. Mine hasn’t made such an announcement, but I’m already figuring out how to teach my courses online.

Friend who teaches at U of Illinois has been told to get prepared, too.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:It's really hard to judge what constitutes careful, sober responses and what's panic. Obviously the Trump Administration's response has added fuel to the confusion and panic fire which doesn't help. I went downtown today for the first time in a while, certainly the first time since any of us heard of covid19 and I thought my reaction was interesting: I was hyper aware of all the people around me, especially the ones I shared elevators with and of all the things one touches in the ordinary course of living, from staircase bannisters to elevator buttons to the payment/car retrieval process in a manned downtown parking garage. Quite different than working in my home office, lol.

Canceling SXSW is going to have a devestating effect on the local economy here in Austin. A number of bars and restruants won't make it, not to mention all of the temp/gig/shift workers that rely on that income. It really sucks.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:

Canceling SXSW is going to have a devestating effect on the local economy here in Austin. A number of bars and restruants won't make it, not to mention all of the temp/gig/shift workers that rely on that income. It really sucks.
I read they are not refunding tickets either. You can use in future. Evidently they don't have the money to do cash refunds

scotto

Post by scotto »

Many of the venues are scheduling their own shows and Austinites are organizing SXSC (South by South Congress) to counter the shutdown. It obviously won't be near the scale of SXSW, but what it lacks in volume it will more than make up for in "local flavor," more like SXSW used to be.
Good luck to all the bands and venues and restaurants and bars, etc., etc.

Flea

Post by Flea »

chuckrh wrote:

I'm finding that the perceived seriousness is related to how big the problem is where you live. So, it's getting intense where I live. Not having adequate test kits available isn't helping. I should be tested but can't get one quite yet. Bill Gates is donating a bunch of test kits to the Seattle area & I'm hoping to get one of those. Also, I see 1 of my docs in a week & that could turn things. I definitely have some symptoms just not quite enough. It could be side effects from a new chemo I started 2 months ago. Most likely that is going to go away as nothing positive is coming from it. Small town America where there are no cases isn't convinced yet. They'll take notice when the bars are closed. Several prominent restaurants in Seattle have already closed along with Emerald City Comic-con getting postponed. That's a big one. 100000 people over a weekend. I have a friend in Milan & it sounds like Seattle is what it was like there in early stages. One thing: this shit is highly contagious since no one has any immunity to it & of course there are no treatments/vaccines exist. I think this is going to get far worse before it gets better. I mean Italy has shut down the whole country!!!! & the numbers are scary there. We'll hope for the best. Stay safe everyone.
This is a very serious question, and in no means me being...well, me. If you were diagnosed with this virus, how would it alter your treatment specifically or your lifestyle generally?
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
chuckrh wrote:

This is a very serious question, and in no means me being...well, me. If you were diagnosed with this virus, how would it alter your treatment specifically or your lifestyle generally?
I'm not officially in quarantine now but effectively so. it would make it official. i haven't been leaving he house except for groceries & prescriptions. & those trips are infrequent & precautions being taken such as a mask & going at times when stores not crowded ie very early in the morning. since i live by myself, depending on seriousness, i would end up in hospital or the county is buying motels for people under similar circumstances. all remains to be seen. i've given up on wilco & dbt shows next week. right now i'm getting refund on wilco, not dbt so far. i think dbt may cancel, we shall see. i've been sick all year so far with chemo & RA stuff. & a nerve virus. that was unpleasant.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

BTW: i'm being monitored by my doctors & am following their instructions totally.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

chuckrh wrote:BTW: i'm being monitored by my doctors & am following their instructions totally.

I’m glad you’re being cautious in the extreme. I’m in the hospital with pneumonia like symptoms and I too am high risk due to my heart disease so I’ve been through all the COVID 19 protocols here in Mississippi. Very thorough and very prepared. Oh, and the infectious disease doctor is a DBT fan. Take care of yourself, it sure sounds like you are.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
chuckrh wrote:BTW: i'm being monitored by my doctors & am following their instructions totally.

I’m glad you’re being cautious in the extreme. I’m in the hospital with pneumonia like symptoms and I too am high risk due to my heart disease so I’ve been through all the COVID 19 protocols here in Mississippi. Very thorough and very prepared. Oh, and the infectious disease doctor is a DBT fan. Take care of yourself, it sure sounds like you are.

Thanks. You feel better!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Neil Young has scrapped the Crazy Horse tour due to COVID 19. Toward end of article on link below.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/03/ ... -projects/

Clams

Post by Clams »

Damn Chuck, you've really got a lot going on. Thoughts and prayers, brother!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just got a flood of emails from school outlining what is happening (or, correctly, NOT happening) on campus next week. This virus is shoving a giant stick into the bicycle wheels of the university

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

We're all fat dumb and happy here! It's a big coroNO VIRUS! Business as usual is the business of America, once said a once-great American once, and there's nothing unusual about that. Just let this girl put her hand--yes, her whole hand--into your mouth:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

the governor of state of washington is going to ban all public gatherings over 250 people today in the 3 biggest counties. sports, concerts, the works. so, next week's seattle DBT show is off. i think it is better for patterson. he'll be able to spend a few extra days with his family in portland. a good thing in these times.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:Damn Chuck, you've really got a lot going on. Thoughts and prayers, brother!
thanks, clams. 1 of those times where it sucks to be me. i'm really glad i took the dive on the early retirement last august. i can't even fathom trying to pull off work right now even though it turns out i would be working from home. i have no energy & am barely pulling off just surviving.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

All schools and kindergartens shut down for two weeks over here (Norway) now. Interesting to see how this develops.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ohio is shutting down K-12 schools for the next 3 weeks

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:Ohio is shutting down K-12 schools for the next 3 weeks
OMG.

I mean...I love my family...don't get me wrong. But if I have to be quarantined for 30 days, isolated with only my wife and kids, Covid19 or not, it aint gonna be pretty.