MLB 2023

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: MLB 2022

Post by chuckrh »

Since the brawl with the Angels a few weeks ago my Mariners have woken up & are actually playing good baseball. They have a great pitching staff & probable rookie of the year Julio Rodriguez (age 21). He's been rookie of the month twice already & was last week's American League player of the week. Some are comparing him to a young Ken Griffey Jr & they aren't far off with that. Plenty of other players doing well, too. This weekend we're being invaded by hordes of Canadians with Toronto in town. The bars near the stadium love that shit. Our young star pitcher Logan Gilbert got moved up to Sunday because there have been 2 off days in a week. I got tickets to the game Sunday & they were going fast. I prefer the day games. I'm 2-0 on games attended this season. It is getting out of control expensive though. The Mariners have always been more about making money than winning. Hopefully they can turn that around this year.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Hope everyone into baseball got to meet Julio Rodriguez during the home run derby last night. Even though he came in second, he put on quite a show. Only 21 years old & the sky is the limit. Hopefully Dusty Baker puts him in the game tonight. The kid shines in the spotlight & nothing seems to phase him. He just ran out of gas last night after putting up 63 home runs in the first 2 rounds. He won a bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics as a member of the Dominican Republic team & the experience did him a world of good. Hopefully the Mariners don't fuck around & sign him to a long term deal soon. The price is going up by the hour. Luckily, Scott Boras isn't his agent. This kid is the real deal. It's cool having the team do well. After 20+ years of losing it's fun to have a real team. We've suffered a long time. Can't wait for the game tonight!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

All of the sudden Mariner tickets are a hot item. I got 1 in the upper deck for tomorrow & it's going to be on nationally on FS1. Pitching matchup is a good one: Logan Gilbert vs Justin Verlander. Tonight is sold out & I'll watch on TV. GO MARINERS!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP Vin Scully. The voice of the Dodgers for 67 years. Fantastic storyteller. I'm not a fan of the team but I would tune in games just to listen to him.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/343 ... ies-age-94

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Baseball game of the year last night: Ms beat Yankers in 13 innings 1-0 last night. Obviously it was a pitching throwdown both starting & bullpen. The Mariners trade for Luis Castillo is looking better every day. There's a reason he was the hottest pitching commodity at the trade deadline. Bonus points for dominating the Yankers 3 times in his last 4 starts. They wanted him bad but were outbid by the Mariners. I'm going to the game this afternoon, hopefully will be as good a game. I got in on a Pearl Jam 10 Club promotion where I got a good main level seat & cool t-shirt for $40. Good deal considering the rest of the main level was more money than that.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Pinch me I'm dreaming. My Mariners finally did something smart. It's been a real long time. Signed rookie star Julio Rodriguez to a deal that could be for 18 years & has a potential worth of $470 million. The deal is real complicated with lots of options on both sides. The structure mitigates risks for the team in case of injury or stupidity (Tatis) while giving Julio a secure future. The agent actually came up with the basic structure. The agent is definitely not Scott Borass! It looks like one of those rare deals where both sides win. I had a feeling about this kid the first time I saw him play in person. Have noticed that he's about the only player on the team out signing autographs for kids before every game. The Mariners initially signed Julio when he was 16 & made several promises to the family such as continuing Julio's education. The team kept those promises & it is paying off now. This kid (21) looks like he is going to be the face of baseball for a long time along with Ohtani.

https://www.mlb.com/news/julio-rodrigue ... h-mariners

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:05 pm
Pinch me I'm dreaming. My Mariners finally did something smart. It's been a real long time. Signed rookie star Julio Rodriguez to a deal that could be for 18 years & has a potential worth of $470 million. The deal is real complicated with lots of options on both sides. The structure mitigates risks for the team in case of injury or stupidity (Tatis) while giving Julio a secure future. The agent actually came up with the basic structure. The agent is definitely not Scott Borass! It looks like one of those rare deals where both sides win. I had a feeling about this kid the first time I saw him play in person. Have noticed that he's about the only player on the team out signing autographs for kids before every game. The Mariners initially signed Julio when he was 16 & made several promises to the family such as continuing Julio's education. The team kept those promises & it is paying off now. This kid (21) looks like he is going to be the face of baseball for a long time along with Ohtani.

The kid is the real deal. Reminds me a lot of Ronald Acuña when he first came up.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:04 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:05 pm

The kid is the real deal. Reminds me a lot of Ronald Acuña when he first came up.
That's a good thing! I actually bought a jersey a few months ago, first one ever for Mariners. Got it for half price outside the stadium. Now it looks like I'll get plenty of use out of it! Most treasured jersey's: Marshawn Lynch & a real signed Ray Allen one from his Sonics days. got that one for free as a season ticket renewal bribe.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Probably shouldn't have but I got 1 ticket each for first home game of ALDS & ALCS. Team will refund money if games don't happen. Was able to get the tickets because I went for single ADA seats. It's been over 20 years of suffering with the Mariners. Hell, I was healhy the last time they were in the postseason. I passed on Wildcard round because it doesn't look like there will be any home games with that. Our magic number is down to 2. I like our chances if we end up playing Cleveland. If we play Toronto, not so much. Fingers crossed (metaphorically since my fingers don't work too well). GO Ms!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Got a bleacher ticket for game 2 of wild card series, just in case. We're only 1.5 games behind Toronto with an easier schedule. Been waiting 20 years for this!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

WOO HOO!!!!!! Now to catch Toronto for best wildcard record so that the series is played in Seattle. Last night was glorious.....

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Well, my Mariners will be on the road in Cleveland or Toronto for the wildcard series. We played well against both this year so it's not hopeless. Actually it saved me $70 for the wildcard game 2 ticket, haha. I'm set for a game each in the ALDS & ALCS if we should make it that far. GO Ms!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Happy to see the Phils back in the playoffs. First time in 11 years! Hopefully will catch fire in the next few weeks.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

nola!!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Another depressing Brewers season. I never thought they'd get to the point where a winning season would be taken for granted but it's also very clear they will never be able to get over the hump with the way MLB payrolls are barring a miraculous confluence of circumstances.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:33 pm
Another depressing Brewers season. I never thought they'd get to the point where a winning season would be taken for granted but it's also very clear they will never be able to get over the hump with the way MLB payrolls are barring a miraculous confluence of circumstances.
Speaking of payrolls, the Red Sox will finish last in their division, well behind the previously pathetic Baltimore O's. Meanwhile, Mookie Betts, who is all of 29, led the league in runs and hit 35 homers for the 110 win Dodgers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
With the Ms they made up their minds to take their lumps & rebuild the farm system. It finally paid off big this year both with talent coming up & trading some to get Luis Castillo & a few other key players. They were able to outbid the Yankees on Castillo so that's something. Now they've got him signed for another 5-6 years. They need to tweak it & get some more steady bats but they are capable of making a run this year. After 21 years of suffering it's pretty excithing!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:39 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Speaking of payrolls, the Red Sox will finish last in their division, well behind the previously pathetic Baltimore O's. Meanwhile, Mookie Betts, who is all of 29, led the league in runs and hit 35 homers for the 110 win Dodgers.
that was a brutal pill to swallow, bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:44 pm
brettac1 wrote:
With the Ms they made up their minds to take their lumps & rebuild the farm system. It finally paid off big this year both with talent coming up & trading some to get Luis Castillo & a few other key players. They were able to outbid the Yankees on Castillo so that's something. Now they've got him signed for another 5-6 years. They need to tweak it & get some more steady bats but they are capable of making a run this year. After 21 years of suffering it's pretty excithing!
I'm a soft touch but in my book you guys are still owed one for 116 wins.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:44 pm
brettac1 wrote:
I'm a soft touch but in my book you guys are still owed one for 116 wins.
Ya. We got screwed by 9/11. Lost momentum when they shut the season down for awhile. I was full on into it that year. I had partial season tickets & went to a game a home series. Sat in area 51 (Ichiro land). I even went & saw them play a few games each in Yankee Stadium & Fenway. I got a ticket a few rows behind the Ms on deck circle in Fenway via the Ms front office. Close enough you could hear Lou Pinella cussing. Obviously I wore full Mariner battle gear to both stadiums. In Fenway they were cool. Said it was alright as long as I wasn't a Yankee fan. Yankee Stadium was a bit more problematic. I ended up being saved because I was with a cute Yankees fan at the games.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

GO MARINERS!!!!! Have worked myself up into a playoff frenzy haha.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Congrats chuck!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:23 pm
Congrats chuck!
x2

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Thanks, I'm still stunned by yesterday's game. I had it on but had basically given up. Sure there was some luck involved (TOR players colliding etc) but the Mariners don't give up. I could go on a lot more & may a bit later but good Lord. Dare I say it but destiny is starting to rear it's lovely head. First home game against Houston is Saturday & I am so there! It's going to be wild. GO Ms!

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 am
nola!!
He was awesome last night. Great to see the Phils advance. Fuck the fuckin cardinals!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:33 am
nola!!
He was awesome last night. Great to see the Phils advance. Fuck the fuckin cardinals!
Clams, looks like the "experts" don't give either of our teams much of a chance. The pic below sums up my feelings about the "experts". GO Ms & PHILLIES!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Experts" are paid to write articles predicting what is essentially a crap shoot. The MLB playoffs rarely reward the best team, esp. in short series
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams wrote:
nola!!
Very rarely do my interests align with Philly sports fans over the past ~20 years but I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’m in “anyone but Yankees or Dodgers” mode but I’ll pull for Phils/M’s for y’all.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:13 pm
Clams wrote:
nola!!
Very rarely do my interests align with Philly sports fans over the past ~20 years but I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’m in “anyone but Yankees or Dodgers” mode but I’ll pull for Phils/M’s for y’all.
Thanks! The excitement is definitely building. GO Ms!!!!!!!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »