MLB 2023

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: mlb 2020

Post by dime in the gutter »

great post.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:23 pm
Amazing! I love Nola. And as I know you're aware, he's an LSU guy
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Per Joe Sheehan:

"For one incredible month, Shohei Ohtani has been right there with the peaks of Barry Bonds, of Pedro Martinez, of Alex Rodriguez as the best I have ever seen. For one incredible month, Ohtani has been what was long hoped for: the Japanese Babe Ruth."

I have the stats Sheehan uses to back up his claim if anyone wants 'em.

PS The Red Sox seem to be doing just fine w/out my support.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:41 am
PS The Red Sox seem to be doing just fine w/out my support.
Timing is everything. Unbeknownst to me when I posted this, Dan Shaugnessy, a Globe sports columnist and noted thorn in the side of sports institutions and managements, published a pretty humble piece today acknowledging that the Sox have outperformed his expectations by several orders of magnitude.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

damn, that bauer story is ugly.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Hey Zip! 2 years ago I posted something about Tatis Jr. and you said Baez does the same thing on a regular basis. Well, he was 20 at that time. At the age of 22 he has done far more than any player in MLB history in their first 180 games. Can you admit that? I will back you up on the coronavirus Bullshit thread!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

oilpiers wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:55 pm
Hey Zip! 2 years ago I posted something about Tatis Jr. and you said Baez does the same thing on a regular basis. Well, he was 20 at that time. At the age of 22 he has done far more than any player in MLB history in their first 180 games. Can you admit that? I will back you up on the coronavirus Bullshit thread!
:lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

oilpiers wrote:
Oh, Tatis has absolutely turned into a beast. If he was putting up these numbers two years ago I wouldn’t have said Jack shit :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 am
oilpiers wrote:
Oh, Tatis has absolutely turned into a beast. If he was putting up these numbers two years ago I wouldn’t have said Jack shit :lol:
His base running was out of this world even then. It is his most impressive talent. Last night in the suspended game he tagged from 3rd on a pop up to shallow left, got a double on a check swing hit, and avoided a tag while overrunning 3rd. All in 6 innings.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

oilpiers wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Zip City wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
His base running was out of this world even then. It is his most impressive talent. Last night in the suspended game he tagged from 3rd on a pop up to shallow left, got a double on a check swing hit, and avoided a tag while overrunning 3rd. All in 6 innings.
Yep, he's legit. Bet the White Sox are kicking themselves for trading him for James FUCKING Shields :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Zip City wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 pm
oilpiers wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:22 pm
Zip City wrote:

Yep, he's legit. Bet the White Sox are kicking themselves for trading him for James FUCKING Shields :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the Rays for throwing in Cronenworth with Pham

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Just backing up an earlier statement claiming Tatis has done stuff never before in MLB history.
Fernando Tatis Jr. picked up the 50th stolen base of his career against the Marlins at loanDepot park, becoming the fastest player in AL/NL history, based on games, to reach 50 home runs and 50 steals in his career. A first-time All-Star this year, Tatis has hit 29 of his 68 career homers this season, and his steal on Thursday was his 23rd of the year.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oilpiers wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 am
Just backing up an earlier statement claiming Tatis has done stuff never before in MLB history.
Fernando Tatis Jr. picked up the 50th stolen base of his career against the Marlins at loanDepot park, becoming the fastest player in AL/NL history, based on games, to reach 50 home runs and 50 steals in his career. A first-time All-Star this year, Tatis has hit 29 of his 68 career homers this season, and his steal on Thursday was his 23rd of the year.
I really like Tatis. Since I'm still not sold on my Mariners, Padres are my team at least for this year. Padres sure are in a tough division though (to put it lightly). NL West is going to be a bloodbath all year.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A fun read and a moment to pause and consider the magnitude of DiMaggio's achievement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/15/spor ... 029039208a

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

40 HR for Ohtani. Not bad.

Edit: Here's what Joe Sheehan has to say: "I don’t know what next week or next month or next year holds. I just know that I’m watching a baseball player be both the top slugger in his league, with good speed, and start once a week with excellent control and above-average results. Even writing that sentence sends a little jolt up my spine. Shohei Ohtani is having one of the best years of any athlete we’ve ever seen."

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:18 am
40 HR for Ohtani. Not bad.

Edit: Here's what Joe Sheehan has to say: "I don’t know what next week or next month or next year holds. I just know that I’m watching a baseball player be both the top slugger in his league, with good speed, and start once a week with excellent control and above-average results. Even writing that sentence sends a little jolt up my spine. Shohei Ohtani is having one of the best years of any athlete we’ve ever seen."
Too bad he plays for the Angels... :lol:

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 pm
Clams wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm
Pitchers and catchers have already reported and not a peep from any of us. Sign of the times I guess.
Looking fwd to yet another season of profound mediocrity from the Phillies. Play ball!!
If things go well the Giants could be a contender for third place in the west.
I have never been so glad to be so wrong.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's that time of year again. I've changed my views on this more than once over the past 15 years but it seems clear to me now that these guys should be in.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/opin ... 029039208a

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, the HOF voting slipped by without any commentary so I thought I'd get back around to it. Very glad to see Ortiz get in of course. But the steroids thing just won't go away, as to Ortiz and as to Bonds, Clemens, et al. Let me say that I know for a fact that I've been on most or all sides of this issue at one point or another over the years and I don't think it's an easy one. But seeing Ortiz get in and Bonds and Clemens not only not getting in but also being eliminated from the ballot brought me some clarity, at least temporarily: A HOF without Bonds and Clemens is just silly and pointless. A HOF which tries to thread a needle which allows for Ortiz but not Bonds or Clemens is absurd. There are harder cases of slightly less great players with more than slightly suspicious stats, but at least at the Bonds/Clemens level (can 2 people constitute a level?), the hypocrisies, absurdities and stupidities are just too much to take.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The all time leader in hits, home runs and Cy Young awards are all out of the hall

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:38 pm
The all time leader in hits, home runs and Cy Young awards are all out of the hall
On the surface, Pete Rose's case seems to be similar to Bonds's and Clemens's. But I'm not so sure that's true. The rules Rose broke were on the books and clear for decades before Rose chose to break them. Also, there was not anything like a blind eye being turned to rules being honored more in the breach than in the observance as w/ PEDs. Nor was there the tacit approval of the powers that be who were thrilled that McGwire and Sosa saved the game w/ Bonds, Clemens and the rest following right behind. It might also be argued that while Clemens and Bonds enabled themselves to generally affect games (being more likely to hit home runs or throw strikeouts) that is not the same as Rose's ability as manager to affect specific outcomes, though I'm not sure how convincing that is. Bonds and Clemens also did what they did to perform better; there is no such argument in favor of Rose. I should add to that last bit that I don't believe Rose when he says he never bet against his own teams. On top of all that, Rose is a Hall of Fame asshole and liar at a level far beyond Clemens whining about having to carry his own suitcase, making him the least sympathetic of the three by far.

But having said all that, the arguments in favor of including Bonds and Clemens in the Hall do tend to work in Rose's favor as well. After all, the voters have not really shown any particular skill, ability or consistency as the morality police and guardians of the sanctified gates. So while if forced to say, I'd have to admit that if Bonds and Clemens get in, Rose should also be admitted, but until I'm forced to say I'm not going to bring up his name voluntarily. But you know who comes next: Give me Shoeless Joe way before you force Rose on me.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

New CBA who dis? Let's go! Can't wait to watch my Tigers surge to a 76–86 finish this year. Just glad we're apparently getting 162.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

No comments about Clayton Kershaw's might have been perfect game?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:09 pm
Eh, this is what baseball is now

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:47 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
I think it’s a logical change based on medicine/analytics but it’s also still jarring after growing up watching games where mediocre pitchers would be left out there with 130+ pitches simply because they had a no-hitter going. Even in a close game and if they had been walking hitters.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:12 am
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I think it’s a logical change based on medicine/analytics but it’s also still jarring after growing up watching games where mediocre pitchers would be left out there with 130+ pitches simply because they had a no-hitter going. Even in a close game and if they had been walking hitters.
That's more or less where I come out. I think it's the right decision and it was made by the only 2 people who should have made it. Their decision should be given some deference for having been made in real time. And the reasoning was to preserve the team's best chance of winning and Kershaw's best chance of staying healthy both of which should be high on anyone's priorities. But still, that's a lot of history, tradition, legend, lore and, ahem, unwritten rules under the bus in one fell swoop. Let's also remember that this was not Kershaw's one shot at glory: He's going to be in the Hall of Fame and his legend is already assured. On the whole I think they made the right decision as much as it hurts to say.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:50 am
brettac1 wrote:
Zip City wrote:

That's more or less where I come out. I think it's the right decision and it was made by the only 2 people who should have made it. Their decision should be given some deference for having been made in real time. And the reasoning was to preserve the team's best chance of winning and Kershaw's best chance of staying healthy both of which should be high on anyone's priorities. But still, that's a lot of history, tradition, legend, lore and, ahem, unwritten rules under the bus in one fell swoop. Let's also remember that this was not Kershaw's one shot at glory: He's going to be in the Hall of Fame and his legend is already assured. On the whole I think they made the right decision as much as it hurts to say.
Agree completely. He's got a cap full of feathers already.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brettac1 wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:06 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:50 am
brettac1 wrote:

Agree completely. He's got a cap full of feathers already.
If the owners hadn't refused to negotiate until late February, perhaps he'd have already been stretched out to 100 pitches or so, where staying in would be a more reasonable decision. Such as it is, the health of a 34-year-old pitcher on a team with World Series aspirations has to take precedence.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Re: MLB 2022

Post by beantownbubba »

The Yankees are still playing over .700 ball over a third of the way through the season. That's pretty incredible, much as it pains me to say so.

beantownbubba

Re: MLB 2022

Post by beantownbubba »

The downside of the SABRmetrics revolution in all sports statistics has been the explosion of meaningless stats that exist just because they can now be figured out. But occasionally there's a stat that sounds pointless but for one reason or another actually has some value. Here's one: the stat seems entirely meaningless and made up on a whim, yet look at the group of "qualifiers." That must mean something. From Julian McWilliams in today's Boston Globe:

"Devers is just the sixth Red Sox player to have 15-plus homers and 80-plus hits in the team’s first 62 games. Manny Ramirez was the last Red Sox to do it in 2001, as did Mo Vaughn (1996, ‘98) Jim Rice (1978), Ted Williams (1948), and Jimmie Foxx (1938)."