MLB 2023

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: mlb 2020

Post by chuckrh »

I'm waiting for the Seattle Mariners to come out in T-Mobile pink uniforms. It has to be coming. That's a hard pass on watching that game!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:40 pm
The "runner on 2nd in extra innings" rule is a joke
I've been trying to think of something to say about this but the fact is that it speaks for itself. Shaking my head, holding my nose.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm
Except for the Bart Giamatti - Fay Vincent era, it feels like during my entire lifetime baseball has been run by people who don't even like the game. It's actually hard to make as many bad decisions as these guys do.

I look at the occasional headline but I haven't looked at a single box score this season. I still subscribe to Joe Sheehan's newsletter but I often don't know anything about the players he writes about; at this point I'm just supporting him because it feels like the right thing to do.

Mookie Betts was the last straw for me. I don't even know what place the Red Sox are in and I don't care. I will admit to some schadenfreude when John Henry was caught smack dab in the middle of that money grab briefly called the soccer Super League. He got what he deserved that time, anyway.
The Red Sox are 22-13.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Bill in CT wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:58 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Except for the Bart Giamatti - Fay Vincent era, it feels like during my entire lifetime baseball has been run by people who don't even like the game. It's actually hard to make as many bad decisions as these guys do.

I look at the occasional headline but I haven't looked at a single box score this season. I still subscribe to Joe Sheehan's newsletter but I often don't know anything about the players he writes about; at this point I'm just supporting him because it feels like the right thing to do.

Mookie Betts was the last straw for me. I don't even know what place the Red Sox are in and I don't care. I will admit to some schadenfreude when John Henry was caught smack dab in the middle of that money grab briefly called the soccer Super League. He got what he deserved that time, anyway.
The Red Sox are 22-13.
And the Giants have the best record in the NL. Go figure.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
The Red Sox are 22-13.
If that is informational, thanks for the info. If there's a particular point you're making, I'm not getting it. In general I am sure that the Red Sox will survive quite nicely without me, but OTOH, I am enjoying the extra hours in my day and the extra money in my wallet that have resulted from my disinterest.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

LBRod wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:05 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

The Red Sox are 22-13.
And the Giants have the best record in the NL. Go figure.
Crawford, Belt, Posey, and Longoria are a great veteran core, and all playing well. Plus Yaz, who will likely heat up. The players I had never heard of are also playing quite good. California NL teams are in for a wild time this summer.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I have a soft spot for the Padres, even though they have hideous uniforms. Out of all the major league parks I've been to, Petco is my favorite. Its quirky, the weather usually perfect & they have great food. Great location, too. Nice to see them doing well. I think they're going to give the Dodgers a run for their money. I'm not too fond of my hometeam (Mariners). They've crushed my soul too many times. We're top 5 in cost to go to game despite being perpetual losers. Making as much money as humanly possible is by far the most important thing to ownership. That & the stadium staff seem to be descendants of Gestapo members. I used to go to at least a game a homestand when it was affordable. Now, ticket costs have tripled (wish the team on the field would) & it's like watching a game in a giant T Mobile commercial. I'm just waiting for them to come out in the T Mobile pink uniforms It'll happen & it won't be about cancer awareness. Finally, they are stuck in "hey! remember that year we almost didn't suck" mode. Continual observances of nothing. Colour me disgusted!

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am
I have a soft spot for the Padres, even though they have hideous uniforms. Out of all the major league parks I've been to, Petco is my favorite. Its quirky, the weather usually perfect & they have great food. Great location, too. Nice to see them doing well. I think they're going to give the Dodgers a run for their money. I'm not too fond of my hometeam (Mariners). They've crushed my soul too many times. We're top 5 in cost to go to game despite being perpetual losers. Making as much money as humanly possible is by far the most important thing to ownership. That & the stadium staff seem to be descendants of Gestapo members. I used to go to at least a game a homestand when it was affordable. Now, ticket costs have tripled (wish the team on the field would) & it's like watching a game in a giant T Mobile commercial. I'm just waiting for them to come out in the T Mobile pink uniforms It'll happen & it won't be about cancer awareness. Finally, they are stuck in "hey! remember that year we almost didn't suck" mode. Continual observances of nothing. Colour me disgusted!
"I have a soft spot for the Padres, even though they have hideous uniforms" Current uniforms? After a long history of softball clown based uniforms, the current ones are my favorite in all MLB.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm
Bill in CT wrote:
The Red Sox are 22-13.
If that is informational, thanks for the info. If there's a particular point you're making, I'm not getting it. In general I am sure that the Red Sox will survive quite nicely without me, but OTOH, I am enjoying the extra hours in my day and the extra money in my wallet that have resulted from my disinterest.
Joe Sheehan's thoughts on the Red Sox today. I like Sheehan but shit like "barrel rate," "exit velocity" and "wRC+" are yet more reasons to apply my mindshare elsewhere. Glad to see the remaining "oldtimers" (Bogaerts, Devers, Martinez, Vasquez, Rodriquez) doing well.

"It was just five weeks ago that Red Sox fans were rending their gahments over the team’s opening weekend sweep at Fenway at the hands of the Orioles. Over the weekend, the team got its revenge by returning the favor, sweeping the O’s to run their record to 22-13, 22-10 since those first three games. The Red Sox have the best record in baseball, the second-best run differential (+36), and a 3 1/2-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East.

"If you make me pick a single reason for the success, it’s stability. The Sox have used just 13 position players all season, the fewest in baseball. One of those, Michael Chavis, has just six plate appearances. Recent injuries to Enrique Hernandez and Christian Arroyo will push that number up. (Jonathan Arauz is on the roster now.) For the 12 hitters on the Opening Day roster to have accounted for all but ten plate appearances this deep into the season is remarkable. There are teams running half a waiver wire out there some days, while the Sox have basically not had to dip into their minors at all.

"You can say the same about the pitching staff. The Sox have used 16 pitchers, tied for the lowest in the league with the Indians. (Technically also with the Reds and White Sox, who have used 16 actual pitchers and some position players.) Since Eduardo Rodriguez made his debut on April 8, they’ve had a stable five-man rotation, with only a doubleheader start by Tanner Houck messing with the symmetry. The 14...(sigh)...pitchers on the current active roster have thrown 96% of the team’s innings.

"Those pitchers have been just good enough, with a 3.96 ERA and 3.37 FIP, the latter second in the AL to the other sox. I wrote last week about how the Giants had pushed into first place thanks to a pitching staff that had allowed very little hard contact. The Red Sox have them beat: second-fewest barrels allowed, and the lowest rate of barrels allowed no matter how you slice the data. The Sox have allowed the second-shortest flyball distance in the game, and all of this has produced the fewest homers allowed (25) and second-lowest ISO allowed (124) in the AL. So a team that has a poor walk rate -- 9.0%, 11th in the AL -- has been able to keep runs off the board.

"I’m not sold on this being sustainable. Of the five Sox starters, only Rodriguez is pitching to his established contact profile. Martin Perez, Nathan Eovaldi, and Nick Pivetta are all allowing the lowest barrel rates of their careers. Eovaldi and Garrett Richards have some history at or near their current numbers, but you have to go back a few injuries ago to find it.

"There’s a context here; just ten of Boston's first 35 games have come against teams with above-average slugging rates, and they played the only real good slugging team they have faced, the Twins, in four of the coldest games played anywhere this season. The Red Sox, in fact, have played most of their schedule in cool to cold weather. Twenty-one of their 32 outdoor games have had a gametime temperature below 60, and nine below 50. This doesn’t erase what their starters have done -- barrels are determined by exit velocity and launch angle and should be immune to temperature effects -- but it leads me to think we’ve seen the best stretch of the year for their staff.

"There’s also the question of volume. Forget 2020. These five pitchers combined for 539 innings in 2019, 566 in 2018. How many starts are you banking on from Eovaldi and Richards, two of the least reliable pitchers of the last five years? Matt Andriese can pick up a turn for a four-inning start as needed. At Triple-A Worcester, the first six starts have been by Houck (now shut down with a flexor muscle issue), Stephen Gonsalves, Ryan Weber, Daniel Gossett, Kyle Hart, and Raynel Espinal. WooSox, indeed. Connor Seabold is a command guy who is probably next in line behind Andriese. There are no emergent pitching stars in this system. The 2020 Sox were undone in no small part by their lack of internal pitching depth; this team’s isn’t much better.

"The ace in the hole is Chris Sale. Sale had Tommy John surgery last April, but 13 months later has just started throwing off a mound. The Sox have taken his rehab incredibly slowly. The Athletic’s Jen McCaffrey estimated an August 1 return, which would make Sale the equivalent of a trade-deadline pickup, albeit likely a low-volume one. It would also be a 16-month rehab cycle, which seems unnecessarily conservative. It’s hard to see a path to the playoffs for the Sox that doesn’t involve some late-season heroics from Sale.

"If the rotation falters, it will be up to the offense to carry this dream. It may just be up to the task. The Sox have the best offense in the AL so far, with a league-leading .338 wOBA, 115 wRC+, and 187 runs scored. They’re top five in exit velocity, barrel rate, all the good stuff, and they’re maximizing the frequency of that contact with the second-lowest strikeout rate (21.7%) in the league. In fact, the best counter to the “weather has helped the Sox pitchers” argument is the Sox lineup, which has thrived in those same chilly conditions.

"The risk here is that it’s a deeply stars-and-scrubs offense. Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Devers would be chasing MVP votes in a world without Mike Trout. J.D. Martinez, once again able to access in-game video, is the second-best hitter in baseball this year to that Trout guy. Alex Verdugo is playing exactly as well as the right fielder he was acquired for. That four-man core has been worth six WAR for a team that in total has racked up 11 WAR. Throw in Christian Vazquez, a plus defensive catcher and an average hitter, and you have a core that can win the World Series.

"Baseball Reference carves up a lineup into three regions: 1-2, 3-6, and 7-9. The Red Sox have the second-best 1-2 in the AL, and that’s typically Enrique Hernandez (a league-average hitter this year) and Verdugo. The Sox have the very best middle of the order in the AL, by nearly 70 points of OPS, which is Martinez/Bogaerts/Devers and mostly Vazquez.

"The Red Sox have the worst bottom of the lineup in the AL. Their bottom three hitters are slugging .295. The spring’s big hope, Bobby Dalbec, has 34 strikeouts and 32 total bases. Franchy Cordero, the acquisition of whom for Andrew Benintendi I loved, has finally chased everyone off the bandwagon with a .169/.234/.211 performance and some very bad defense in left field. I might excuse the latter as learning the Green Monster, but no one with a 445 OPS gets cut much slack. Across the pasture, Hunter Renfroe has been exposed as a platoon bat, with a .225 OBP and an 18/2 K/BB against right-handed pitchers. Renfroe has been a real asset defensively in the game’s toughest right field, and already has three baserunner kills.

"This is where the Sox have more options. Jarren Duran showed off a broad skill set, including some newfound power, this spring. A left-handed batter who is still becoming a center fielder, he could move into a platoon with Renfroe very soon. He’s off to a .261/.346/.391 start at Worcester, and has gotten some innings in right field, a sign the Sox are thinking about him as a Renfroe patch. Duran doesn’t have a right fielder’s arm -- he was a second baseman in college -- but he also probably wouldn’t run a .225 OBP against righties.

"Boston’s most highly-rated prospect is Triston Casas, a first baseman who will eventually chase Dalbec off the position. Casas has a total of five games of experience above A ball, and isn’t a near-term candidate for a job at Fenway. Michael Chavis, now up to cover second base, could stick around and play some first if he hits.

"If you’re Chaim Bloom, the good news is that these are easier problems to solve than the pitching ones. Finding upgrades for three spots hitting .194/.254/.295, three corner slots, isn’t like trying to replace Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert. The trade market won’t come into focus for a bit, but we know the Tigers will be bad and they’ve got Robbie Grossman. The Mariners are over .500 now, but have two star outfielders on the way and a 30-year-old Mitch Haniger to cash in. The Rockies might shop Charlie Blackmon, and his contract isn’t that onerous -- $21.5 million this year, player option for $21 million in 2022, player option for 2023 at $10-18M. The Red Sox might be well served to add a multi-year solution given how thin they are in the outfield. The bigger concern is whether Blackmon, down to a .231/.339/.356 line this year, has much left.

"Bloom is going to have choices in the trade market; whether he’ll have the option to creep over the luxury-tax threshold -- he has about $5 million with which to play -- is an open question.

"As with the pitching, though, the key here is health and stability. The Sox have a five-man lineup right now, and if any of the five go down, this offense would tip over quickly. You simply can’t carry that many outs and succeed.

"Were this last year, the Red Sox would be most of the way to a playoff berth. In 2021, however, they’re going to have to sustain this for 162 games. I believe in the offense, especially given the ease with which its current problems can be solved. The pitching, though, is the weak link, and even Chris Sale riding to the rescue probably won’t be enough. The Red Sox are more likely to be fighting for the wild card in September than a division title."

"

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oilpiers wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 pm
chuckrh wrote:
"I have a soft spot for the Padres, even though they have hideous uniforms" Current uniforms? After a long history of softball clown based uniforms, the current ones are my favorite in all MLB.
I'm not into the whole camouflage thing but given that San Diego is a big military base zone it makes sense. You're right, the old ones were terrible. Good team this year. & that stadium is lovely. If I were wealthy, I'd stay in the hotel connected by skybridge to the stadium. I'd move to San Diego in a heartbeat but it's out of my budget range.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 pm
oilpiers wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
I'm not into the whole camouflage thing but given that San Diego is a big military base zone it makes sense. You're right, the old ones were terrible. Good team this year. & that stadium is lovely. If I were wealthy, I'd stay in the hotel connected by skybridge to the stadium. I'd move to San Diego in a heartbeat but it's out of my budget range.
I hate the camo also. But those road pinstripe unis may be the best uniform ever. I lived in Seattle and SD as a kid. I retired fairly early for multiple reasons but California was way too expensive, crowded and has no water. If I had my choice I would be living in one of those high rise condos overlooking Petco. But I moved east to buy a house for cash.I went to games at Seattle and SF in a matter of two days.(don't ask me the names of the parks, I can't keep up with the corporate BS) I actually liked Seattle a bit better than SF. Mainly because the field level in SF is blocked behind home plate by the press box. I stood behind home plate in Seattle. The stairs down to the street with traffic behind me, equidistant to the hitter, who happened to be Griffy. He hit one of his final home runs that at bat. Ichiro did not play that day, sadly. Been to about 15 stadiums. Nothing, not Wrigley, Petco, or SF was nearly as mind blowing as Fenway.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oilpiers wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am
chuckrh wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

I hate the camo also. But those road pinstripe unis may be the best uniform ever. I lived in Seattle and SD as a kid. I retired fairly early for multiple reasons but California was way too expensive, crowded and has no water. If I had my choice I would be living in one of those high rise condos overlooking Petco. But I moved east to buy a house for cash.I went to games at Seattle and SF in a matter of two days.(don't ask me the names of the parks, I can't keep up with the corporate BS) I actually liked Seattle a bit better than SF. Mainly because the field level in SF is blocked behind home plate by the press box. I stood behind home plate in Seattle. The stairs down to the street with traffic behind me, equidistant to the hitter, who happened to be Griffy. He hit one of his final home runs that at bat. Ichiro did not play that day, sadly. Been to about 15 stadiums. Nothing, not Wrigley, Petco, or SF was nearly as mind blowing as Fenway.
I went to a series @ Fenway during the 2001 season, the one where the Ms set the season wins record. Also, went to a series @ Yankee stadium that trip. The history in both parks is amazing but YS was kind of a dump. Fenway on the other hand was amazing. The Red Sox weren't selling out at that point & the Ms set me up with the Red Sox office & I got a ticket for all 3 games a few rows up between the Ms dugout & home plate. Close enough you could hear Lou Pinella cussing, haha. I just like San Diego for the creature comforts & I like the city overall plenty. I lived in LA for a few years but hated that. Other than that brief sojourn, I've lived in Seattle my whole life. Thinking about moving now though as it is getting way too expensive. They are chasing the middle class out. Agreed about the non-camo Padres uniforms.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 am
oilpiers wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am
chuckrh wrote:

I went to a series @ Fenway during the 2001 season, the one where the Ms set the season wins record. Also, went to a series @ Yankee stadium that trip. The history in both parks is amazing but YS was kind of a dump. Fenway on the other hand was amazing. The Red Sox weren't selling out at that point & the Ms set me up with the Red Sox office & I got a ticket for all 3 games a few rows up between the Ms dugout & home plate. Close enough you could hear Lou Pinella cussing, haha. I just like San Diego for the creature comforts & I like the city overall plenty. I lived in LA for a few years but hated that. Other than that brief sojourn, I've lived in Seattle my whole life. Thinking about moving now though as it is getting way too expensive. They are chasing the middle class out. Agreed about the non-camo Padres uniforms.
Not only did I live in Seattle and SD as a kid, but I also lived in Boston. From 62-64. I was born in 61, so that's where my first memories are from. I had not been back until 2013. My mother inherited a house and I went there to handle it. Hours after I arrived I asked my cousins husband about the best way to get Sox tickets. He made a call and hooked me up with a wrist band from security for that nights game. I sat in a different section each inning. I also scored a $2 parking spot. I saved well over $100 that night.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 am
I also scored a $2 parking spot.
I had no idea there is or was such a thing. Cheaper than taking the T.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 am
oilpiers wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:32 am
I also scored a $2 parking spot.
I had no idea there is or was such a thing. Cheaper than taking the T.
There was a row of parking meters on the other side of the turnpike. One was empty. There was a cop around. I parked and before I could even ask he told me I could park there for the game. Only had to pay for one hour, after that the parking was free.Just walked over the bridge into baseball version of Disneyland. My first day in town I was not going to pretend I could navigate any public transportation. That was the same trip as the Patterson backyard show on Long Island.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

jr29 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 am
I have been becoming more and more disillusioned with baseball in recent years. However, it is something that my dad and I still like to talk about all the time so that has kept me fairly up to date on what our team, the Cardinals, is up to. So when my dad decided to cut his cable television off I made the choice to buy MLBTV so that he could still catch the games. Little did I know these fucks couldn't reach an agreement on the television rights and over half the games are blacked out. When we saw that we decided to turn the cable back on and get the most basic package that offered Fox Sports Midwest, which is where almost all of the St. Louis games used to be televised. They too have significantly decreased the number of games televised. With two different subscriptions purchased he is still only getting around half the games. He lives 270 miles from St. Louis....why the fuck are the games not available ?
I am seriously done with MLB. I'll watch highlights when someone gets beaned and a brawl happens. Other than that...fuck them.
In the spirit of fairness I figured I'd post that something has changed ,(I've no idea what), but most games are available now, both home and away. So there's that.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Since the Mariners are now batting under .200 as a team I'm proposing changing the name to the Mendozas.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:32 pm
Since the Mariners are now batting under .200 as a team I'm proposing changing the name to the Mendozas.
Its generally not a good sign to get swept by the Tigers, especially when you are no-hit by a guy who lost 17 games two years ago.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I attended my first game in almost 2 years yesterday. Unfortunately it was the Giants at the Reds. 9-0 in the 3rd inning. It did not improve.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

oilpiers wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:34 am
I attended my first game in almost 2 years yesterday. Unfortunately it was the Giants at the Reds. 9-0 in the 3rd inning. It did not improve.
I rather enjoyed that game. 8-)

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

LBRod wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:59 am
oilpiers wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:34 am
I rather enjoyed that game. 8-)
I get that if you are a Giant fan. Don't hate the Giants at all, but am an SD fan. I spent $50 for a ticket.It was hot, boring, and a 12 OZ bottle of water was $5. I clearly did not get my moneys worth.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Let me enjoy the first place Giants while it lasts. Ducking Fodgers coming to SF tonight.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Padres looked mighty tough last night against my (sorta) Mariners/Mendozas. Of course, COVID protocols took 4 members of the bullpen out before the game. I'm thinking the Mariners should just cancel the season & save us all from some suffering.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:21 am
Padres looked mighty tough last night against my (sorta) Mariners/Mendozas. Of course, COVID protocols took 4 members of the bullpen out before the game. I'm thinking the Mariners should just cancel the season & save us all from some suffering.
At least the blowout was by the home team. Those games are far more hard to watch when the visiting team does it. 3 NL games won by 15 or more runs in 2 days. Keep an eye on Cronenworth. On a team full of stars, he is many Padre fans favorite. He was a throw in with the Pham trade. Padres lost Tatis, Hosmer, Myers, and Profar to covid and went 7-1 without them.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Flipped the Cards on tonight and the White Sox have scored 5 runs on 1 hit through two innings. 5 runs on 1 hit.
There have been 3 errors, 1 wild pitch, 1 hit by pitch, and 3 walks.

And Matt Carpenter is hitting .114.

It's good stuff.

edit.....Jack Flaherty just hit someone else.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:07 pm
https://ballnine.com/2021/05/22/unwatchables/

https://ballnine.com/2021/06/02/june-2021/

Spot on. (Read the top one first, then the bottom one).
I haven't been watching, or following, so I was unaware that there have already been 7 no hitters. SEVEN?! That's insane.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Padres are off tonight, so I am watching the Red Sox/Astros game at Fenway. Holy Crap, it is an entertaining crazy game. Been to about 15 stadiums. Fenway only once, but easily my favorite place to see a game. Fenway is a big factor in the entertainment aspect of tonights game!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:23 pm
I still remember April '69, coming home from school in time to catch the last half of the NY Mets - SD Padres game on Channel 9 (they still had day baseball back in the day) and watching with growing incredulity and excitement as Tom Seaver struck out 10 straight Padres batters. I think they were the last 10 outs of the game but I'm not 100% sure of that part. What a day and, effectively, the start of an amazing, magical year. Fuck M. Donald Grant.