Deadspin - RIP

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Deadspin - RIP

Post by pearlbeer »

While I'm not a big sports fan, I have always enjoyed the content at Deadspin (and some of the sister sites from time to time). Sadly, the corporate buzzards took over and pushed out all of the good writers and the site is essentially dead. Anyone know of any good alternative sites?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Clams

Re: Deadspin - RIP

Post by Clams »

The implosion of Deadspin was actually the culmination of events set into motion a few years ago when Hulk Hogan and Peter fucking Thiel set about suing my beloved Gawker.com into oblivion. And it's really a shame because both sites had such great content and quality sites like that are harder and harder to find nowadays.

If sports and pop culture are what you're after, I would check out theringer.com which is a Bill Simmons site and is pretty good IMO. You might also try following Drew Magary on Twitter - he's still writing his columns but they're spread out onto different sites now, and he links to them all on his twitter. Deadspin's sister site jezebel.com continue to churn out good stuff too.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:The implosion of Deadspin was actually the culmination of events set into motion a few years ago when Hulk Hogan and Peter fucking Thiel set about suing my beloved Gawker.com into oblivion. And it's really a shame because Deadspin, like Gawker before it, had a lot of great content, sports and otherwise, and good sites like that are harder and harder to find nowadays. If sports and pop culture is what you're after, I would check out theringer.com which is a Bill Simmons site and is pretty good IMO. You might also try following Drew Magary on Twitter - he's still writing his columns but they're spread out onto different sites now, and he links to them all on his twitter. Deadspin's sister site jezebel.com continue to churn out good stuff too.
I still read Jezebel, The Root, and the Takeout on a daily basis

Also, fuck Jim Spanfeller

The Ringer is good but it’s definitely more sports focused than Deadspin. The Ringer doesn’t have anywhere near the irreverence of Deadspin. Overall The Ringer doesn’t “engage” me on the scale that Deadspin did and isn’t enough to fill the void left by Deadspin. Also, cards on table, I can’t stand Bill Simmons
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Clams wrote:The implosion of Deadspin was actually the culmination of events set into motion a few years ago when Hulk Hogan and Peter fucking Thiel set about suing my beloved Gawker.com into oblivion. And it's really a shame because Deadspin, like Gawker before it, had a lot of great content, sports and otherwise, and good sites like that are harder and harder to find nowadays. If sports and pop culture is what you're after, I would check out theringer.com which is a Bill Simmons site and is pretty good IMO. You might also try following Drew Magary on Twitter - he's still writing his columns but they're spread out onto different sites now, and he links to them all on his twitter. Deadspin's sister site jezebel.com continue to churn out good stuff too.

The Ringer is good but it’s definitely more sports focused than Deadspin. The Ringer doesn’t have anywhere near the irreverence of Deadspin. Overall The Ringer doesn’t “engage” me on the scale that Deadspin did and isn’t enough to fill the void left by Deadspin. Also, cards on table, I can’t stand Bill Simmons
Not saying it's perfect, just that it's a viable deadspin alternative

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Clams wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Not saying it's perfect, just that it's a viable deadspin alternative
Word. Can’t think of any other site that could even make the conversation (fuck off Barstool)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

So about 20 writers formerly with Deadspin have gotten together and formed their own site, www.defector.com. It promises to have sports and culture content and will be behind a moderately priced paywall. Goes live next month. Count me in.

Here's a discussion about the site:
http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/2 ... p-defector