Seeking Veterans' Opinions re Navy SEAL

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Seeking Veterans' Opinions re Navy SEAL

Post by beantownbubba »

I know we have some vets around here even if they don't post that much but I hope y'all will weigh in on this one. So a Navy SEAL was convicted of war crimes, pardoned by the president, discharged from the SEALS and had his discharge reversed by the president. Was the conviction righteous or did the pardon right an injustice? Either way, should the armed services be able to make its own decision about the SEAL's suitability for further service in an elite unit or was the president right to continue to protect a veteran unfairly victimized by the Service?

Edited once for accuracy. See below.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Re: Seeking Veterans' Opinions re Navy SEAL

Post by beantownbubba »

I realized that I had it wrong in the initial post to the extent that the SEAL was not being discharged from the Navy but from the elite SEALS unit and have changed the OP accordingly. Sorry about that. Still hoping for responses from vets.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Things have heated up once again w/ the firing of the Secretary of the Navy. I'd still love to hear from those w/ the most relevant experience/insight.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Bubba do you know Jeff Wall aka the Big Dumb Hick? He was in the Navy for years and he's pretty damn smart. He's also a fellow heathen. Try reaching out to him on facebook.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

btb - thought about this post when I read this OpEd. Might give you some clarity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/opin ... e=Homepage
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^Good stuff. Thanks for posting.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:btb - thought about this post when I read this OpEd. Might give you some clarity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/04/opin ... e=Homepage
Appreciate this pearlbeer. The article is full of weighty thoughts, some I had not read before, all worth thinking about. But still, what I'm seeking and hoping for is what the grunts, the boots on the ground, the soldiers who are on the sharp end of the spear confronted with these decisions in real life life or death situations make of it all. I understand the theoretical arguments and the principled points of view but it seems to me that what matters (beyond the specifics of the individual cases) is how all this high level pontificating is perceived by those who have to execute orders. Who do they feel has their back, the president or the military justice system? Which approach do they think provides better guidance about how to act in the moment, which approach more closely reflects how they think about themselves?

I do think these issues are important on the intellectual level for the tone they set and the messages they send, but it seems to me to be far more important how these messages are perceived by those most directly affected by them. As it relates particularly to me, arguing the theory is an easy exercise where one can adopt a point of view by applying the same intellectual processes one applies ton any contested issue, but especially as it relates to life and death matters I recognize that those with actual experience have a particularly useful and meaningful POV to offer.