College basketball 2019-2020

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

College basketball 2019-2020

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

It begins!!!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Re: College basketball 2019-2020

Post by Iowan »

I kinda think we're going to suck. I can't watch tonight's game (prior commitment) and likely won't be able to catch the Oregon State game on Saturday (fuck you, Pac 12 Network).

The bright side of no expectations is that you can't be disappointed.

whatwouldcooleydo?

never too soon for this

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Tennessee won’t be near as good as last season after losing 4 guys to the NBA/G-League, but I think they should definitely be a tournament team. Shaping up to be a fun one this year.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Auburn lost a bunch of folks too. I'm expecting a pretty big drop-off this season. Last year was fun though.
Let the outside air in

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:never too soon for this
I admire your level of hatred for a rival.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:never too soon for this
I admire your level of hatred for a rival.
I've had this shirt for a long time. Worn it to 2 different NCAA tournaments and people were stopping me to take my picture with them :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:likely won't be able to catch the Oregon State game on Saturday (fuck you, Pac 12 Network).
no blame for the SEC or ESPN? :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Heels look to be good but I'm holding off on saying anything of substance until after watching them play Notre Dame tomorrow (most ACC teams are opening with a conference game, no doubt due to the new ACC Network). We have a bunch of new faces- some key freshman, especially Cole Anthony, and 2 grad transfers- so until I see at least a game I have no idea what to expect

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Is there some sort of rule where the refs aren't allowed to call travelling on Puke?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I'm dragging this morning after staying up late to watch UK/MSU, but I'm feeling pretty good about the Cats effort, especially their defense. Hopefully this win pays off come March for seeding purposes. With UK defeating the #1 team in the country and Matt Bevin losing the governor's race, it's a glorious day in the Bluegrass.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Will be interesting year for the Wolverines, let's see how Howard grows into the job of coach. Have enough talent to make the tournament and win a game or two while there, but not deep or talented enough to compete with the big boys. Unlike Beilein, looks like Howard is going after the top recruits, hopefully we'll land a few and see what happens.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:likely won't be able to catch the Oregon State game on Saturday (fuck you, Pac 12 Network).
no blame for the SEC or ESPN? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wrong sport!

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:Is there some sort of rule where the refs aren't allowed to call travelling on Puke?
Are you new to college basketball? :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I kinda think we're going to suck. I can't watch tonight's game (prior commitment) and likely won't be able to catch the Oregon State game on Saturday (fuck you, Pac 12 Network).

We could play in the Bahamas if the chips fall that way

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:I kinda think we're going to suck. I can't watch tonight's game (prior commitment) and likely won't be able to catch the Oregon State game on Saturday (fuck you, Pac 12 Network).

We have to beat Michigan (sorry Mr. B) and you'd have to beat Alabama, correct?

Hopefully it would go the way of our last meeting!

(that's not going to happen)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:

We have to beat Michigan (sorry Mr. B) and you'd have to beat Alabama, correct?

Hopefully it would go the way of our last meeting!

(that's not going to happen)
I believe you are correct (on multiple levels ;) )

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

WWCD, caught highlights this morning and I was wondering if this whole ACC playing conference games opening week is a recent development, or this has always been a thing and I just didn't notice?

Also, Cole Anthony looks legit.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:WWCD, caught highlights this morning and I was wondering if this whole ACC playing conference games opening week is a recent development, or this has always been a thing and I just didn't notice?

I think I read they are opening with conference games to highlight the launch of the ACC Network.

whatwouldcooleydo?

rlipps wrote:
Iowan wrote:WWCD, caught highlights this morning and I was wondering if this whole ACC playing conference games opening week is a recent development, or this has always been a thing and I just didn't notice?

I think I read they are opening with conference games to highlight the launch of the ACC Network.
Indeed, I even mentioned it upthread. It's a totally new thing, though in recent years most teams played one conference game just before the end of December

Anthony looked great, but for now he's pretty much their only offensive threat. I fear they'll ride him to death before the season is over. Coach Williams has a long history of his teams being exponentially better in March than November, so for now he has my faith. They have a couple of relatively key players (Manley & Robinson) who didn't play last night due to injuries (I hear nothing serious), so I'm trying to not extrapolate much from last night. Nonetheless, if the Heels are a top 7 team that speaks to this not being a year of "a cut above" favorites, which I'm fine with

whatwouldcooleydo?

Speaking of early conference games, Heels also play at Virginia on Dec 7 or 8, absolutely no idea why the date is TBD at this late juncture. Tough week with Ohio State on 4th and then a trip to Charlottesville

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

watch out for Washington Huskies this year....a program on the upswing for sure.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:watch out for Washington Huskies this year....a program on the upswing for sure.
what did i say? baylor sure found out! :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

early season cry for help: I stayed up late last night watching the grudge match between perennial powers Alaska-Anchorage and Coast Guard. I stagger to bed after 1 AM, waking Jen up, so she asks what I was watching. I tell her AK-Anchorage vs. Coast Guard**. She asks "why in the hell are you watching that crappy game?"

My answer: scouting :roll:

**=AKA two teams who flat out don't like each other

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:early season cry for help: I stayed up late last night watching the grudge match between perennial powers Alaska-Anchorage and Coast Guard. I stagger to bed after 1 AM, waking Jen up, so she asks what I was watching. I tell her AK-Anchorage vs. Coast Guard**. She asks "why in the hell are you watching that crappy game?"

i think some might call that OCD. the one caused by too much hateful fred. i kid, i kid! :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:early season cry for help: I stayed up late last night watching the grudge match between perennial powers Alaska-Anchorage and Coast Guard. I stagger to bed after 1 AM, waking Jen up, so she asks what I was watching. I tell her AK-Anchorage vs. Coast Guard**. She asks "why in the hell are you watching that crappy game?"

i think some might call that OCD. the one caused by too much hateful fred. i kid, i kid! :D

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:

Did you watch the UW - Baylor game? Considering how early in the season, I thought it was a great game. UW hit a home run on the coach hire I think. That move he made switching from the zone to man to man was epic!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Washington #20 in new rankings. It's a start... :D

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've watched the football version of games like this. I feel your sickness.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:

I've watched the football version of games like this. I feel your sickness.
It’s particularly easy to do on Pacific time

Watched a big chunk of Iowa/DePaul last night, Blue Demons looked good. I know you hate them, but nonetheless Iowa has a lot of veterans and size, so DePaul whippin’ that ass in Iowa City was noteworthy. It’s been ages since DePaul was even within sniffing range of relevance