College basketball 2019-2020

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: College basketball 2019-2020

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Starting today, in the next 20 days we have Oregon, Ohio State, at UVA, Wofford, & at Gonzaga. There could very well be 3 or more losses in that sequence
they best be beating OR if they still want to be my friend. Duck the..... oh wait. you get the idea.
Your friendship means nothing to them
there is no joy in hippieville! nice way to start the day. must've run out of patchouli oil. now on to Gonzaga & the flying Catholic girls. don't say anything bad about Gonzaga. over half the lawyers in the state went there & they have the writs waiting.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:
chuckrh wrote: they best be beating OR if they still want to be my friend. Duck the..... oh wait. you get the idea.
Your friendship means nothing to them
there is no joy in hippieville! nice way to start the day. must've run out of patchouli oil. now on to Gonzaga & the flying Catholic girls. don't say anything bad about Gonzaga. over half the lawyers in the state went there & they have the writs waiting.
Do you write your own material? ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

there is no joy in hippieville! nice way to start the day. must've run out of patchouli oil. now on to Gonzaga & the flying Catholic girls. don't say anything bad about Gonzaga. over half the lawyers in the state went there & they have the writs waiting.[/quote]

Do you write your own material? ;)[/quote]

sadly, am on drugs. not the good ones. i did have a gf from eugene & done time there, so i have personally witnessed the natives.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

We looked good in whipping Gonzaga's butt. Looking forward to see where we are at in this week's rankings -- should be one of the biggest moves in a long time from not being ranked to, hopefully, top 10. Now all we have to do is beat OSU today in football and it will be the best weekend ever. :D

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Mr. B wrote:We looked good in whipping Gonzaga's butt. Looking forward to see where we are at in this week's rankings -- should be one of the biggest moves in a long time from not being ranked to, hopefully, top 10. Now all we have to do is beat OSU today in football and it will be the best weekend ever. :D
It would be sweet to see THE OSU get their collective asses kicked!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:Now all we have to do is beat OSU today in football and it will be the best weekend ever. :D
1 outta 2 ain't bad

whatwouldcooleydo?

Way, way too early for any kind of big predictions, but at this juncture I would be somewhat surprised if this season's national champion IS NOT playing in the upcoming ACC/Big 10 challenge. Both leagues are stacked

That said, do not sleep on Seton Hall

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Mr. B wrote:Now all we have to do is beat OSU today in football and it will be the best weekend ever. :D
1 outta 2 ain't bad
Yep, kind of used to it by now. But it still sucks.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mr. B wrote:
1 outta 2 ain't bad
Yep, kind of used to it by now. But it still sucks.
Is Harbaugh in any legit danger of getting sacked?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

[/quote]

Is Harbaugh in any legit danger of getting sacked?[/quote]

Not that I am aware of. He does well enough so that the yearly thumping by OSU is not enough to put him in danger. I've read several articles this weekend that emphasize the talent gap between the two schools, e.g., the number of 5 star recruits on the field for OSU (half a dozen) vs. those from Michigan (zero). That's what he needs to improve if he wants to take the next step. But i don't see him in danger of getting fired.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Is Harbaugh in any legit danger of getting sacked?[/quote]

Not that I am aware of. He does well enough so that the yearly thumping by OSU is not enough to put him in danger. I've read several articles this weekend that emphasize the talent gap between the two schools, e.g., the number of 5 star recruits on the field for OSU (half a dozen) vs. those from Michigan (zero). That's what he needs to improve if he wants to take the next step. But i don't see him in danger of getting fired.[/quote]

That was my question as well. Thanks for the relatively inside perspective.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

In one week, the Wolverines went from being unranked to No. 4. Pretty cool. Now all we have to do is beat the No. 1 team in the country on its home court tomorrow.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Mr. B wrote:In one week, the Wolverines went from being unranked to No. 4. Pretty cool. Now all we have to do is beat the No. 1 team in the country on its home court tomorrow.
I have been completely wrong (so far) on Juwan Howard. I thought it was a typical "hire the famous alum" type hire and I didn't think he could hang. Shows what I know
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip City wrote:
Mr. B wrote:In one week, the Wolverines went from being unranked to No. 4. Pretty cool. Now all we have to do is beat the No. 1 team in the country on its home court tomorrow.
I have been completely wrong (so far) on Juwan Howard. I thought it was a typical "hire the famous alum" type hire and I didn't think he could hang. Shows what I know
I've obviously been happy with the Howard hire, and have been impressed with how he has handled everything up to now. But back to reality, as yesterday's Louisville game was not pretty. We were due for a bad outing -- we aren't as good as we played last week, aren't very deep and rely a lot of outside shooting, so when that goes cold it will be difficult to score. So Juwan's first big test will be in seeing whether he can get them ready for the big ten opening game on Friday vs. Iowa. As for the rest of the year, I'm expecting a pretty good big ten run and a ranking between 10 and 20

The Big 10-ACC challenge is at 4-4 going into tonight's game. Not too many good games so far, both Michigan and MSU looked pretty bad last night. Looking forward to UNC-OSU tonight, not sure who to root for in that one!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bobby Knight has thrown his last chair

whatwouldcooleydo?

Wonder if they’ll really bury him upside down

whatwouldcooleydo?

Really weird seeing Ed Cooley on the Georgetown bench

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just spotted this at The Athletic 😉

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:D

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:45 pm
Sincere, 100% no snark question: why don’t you (& others) use the reply function in situations like this?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:41 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Sincere, 100% no snark question: why don’t you (& others) use the reply function in situations like this?
You'll probably not be surprised that I overthink this.

The two main reasons are that I don't like to clutter up a thread by repeating a long or visually dense post just to make a short reply and even then I only do it when I'm pretty sure that (i) there will be no intervening post so it's clear what I'm responding to and (ii) the post I'm responding to is pretty clearly making a single point so that, again, it's clear what I'm responding to.

Plus I've never known who pays for this site (though I have my assumptions) or how much it costs but given the number of lengthy posts I make I like to try to balance out my personal call on the site's resources like whatever/wherever all this stuff is stored by not repeating stuff when I don't think it adds anything.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:01 am
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:41 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
You'll probably not be surprised that I overthink this.

The two main reasons are that I don't like to clutter up a thread by repeating a long or visually dense post just to make a short reply and even then I only do it when I'm pretty sure that (i) there will be no intervening post so it's clear what I'm responding to and (ii) the post I'm responding to is pretty clearly making a single point so that, again, it's clear what I'm responding to.

Plus I've never known who pays for this site (though I have my assumptions) or how much it costs but given the number of lengthy posts I make I like to try to balance out my personal call on the site's resources like whatever/wherever all this stuff is stored by not repeating stuff when I don't think it adds anything.
Absolutely 100% not surprised

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bump.

Go Clones

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:37 am
Bump.

Go Clones
Since it's likely my high water mark, i guess this is the place to point out that one of my brackets is in 3rd place in my group. Of course my second bracket is 28th (out of 30).

I see that the Cyclones were the championship pick of almost 5% of "ballots." That seems impressive even though it's not exactly definitive lol. Good luck, sir!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Bump.

Go Clones
Since it's likely my high water mark, i guess this is the place to point out that one of my brackets is in 3rd place in my group. Of course my second bracket is 28th (out of 30).

I see that the Cyclones were the championship pick of almost 5% of "ballots." That seems impressive even though it's not exactly definitive lol. Good luck, sir!
Appreciate it!

I wish I was able to visit your fair city and watch them live tomorrow night, but that’s definitely not in the cards.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Bump.

Go Clones

Appreciate it!

I wish I was able to visit your fair city and watch them live tomorrow night, but that’s definitely not in the cards.
I'd like to represent for ya, but available tix are a bit pricey for this neutral.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm
beantownbubba wrote: Since it's likely my high water mark, i guess this is the place to point out that one of my brackets is in 3rd place in my group. Of course my second bracket is 28th (out of 30).

Appreciate it!

I'd like to represent for ya, but available tix are a bit pricey for this neutral.
I blame Bill